COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

What is B.S. in Basic Medical Sciences of UP Manila?

Hello, everyone!

Can anyone tell me what is BS in Basic Medical Sciences offered by the College of Medicine of the University of the Philippines, Manila. Sounds astig kasi, eh.

Thanks.

Comments

• jackmcphjackmcph >>completed<< PExer
    It really is an astig course. If I’m not mistaken BS BMS is the other term for the Intarmed course in UP Manila. The BS BMS course is a seven-year medical course. So instead of taking a four year pre-med course (like Bio or Public Health), you only take the pre-med for two years and then start on the medicine proper on your third year.

If you’re interested in this course, you could indicate it on your UPCAT form. There’s a portion in the form that asks if you’re interested in the INTARMED course.

*okay*
  • minnowminnow freakazoid PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by HeriotWatt
    Hello, everyone!

Can anyone tell me what is BS in Basic Medical Sciences offered by the College of Medicine of the University of the Philippines, Manila. Sounds astig kasi, eh.

Thanks.

HeriotWatt ... B.S. in Basic Medical Sciences is the bachelor's degree UP Manila-UP College of Medicine confers to products of its INTARMED program (7 year Integrated Liberal Arts and Medicine Course) who have completed the first 4 years of the curriculum. By the time they get this degree, they would actually be in 2nd year med proper:

Regular path to med: 4 years college + 4 years med proper + 1 year internship = graduation
    Intarmed : 2 years college + 4 years med proper + 1 year internship = graduation

This way, even if the student does not complete the 7 year course (e.g. he quits during 4th yr med proper), at least he has a "college degree" to speak of. So, because of its nature, the only way one can get a BS BMS degree is if one first gets into INTARMED.

BTW, note that unlike other med schools, students of the UP College of Medicine graduate after internship, and thus have to take their internship in PGH.

Hope this helps. :)

minnow
  • _hawKe_07_hawKe_07 Member PExer
    hello po
    magtatanong lang po ako kung ano ang required GWA ng BS BMS? di ko kasi ma access *** site ng college of medicine eh.. salamat po :)
    from uplb nga po pala ako :)
  • afaik UP intarmed program only accepts the brightest of the brightest. sobrang selective nila.
  • DigivolutionDigivolution Digivolve! PExer
    I don't think they accept shiftees/transferees. Through UPCAT lang ata ang qualification sa INTARMED program ng UP Manila.
    ahh ok po..salamat sa info,,,eh ano po kaya magandang pre med course?
  • they accept transferees. strive to push your grades up! ;)

yung BS Basic Medicine yung degree na mkukuha mo in case hindi mo na-continue hanggang med proper as INTARMED. :)

well, for pre med courses, i would recommend BS Bio, BS Public Health, BS Biochem, BS Industrial Pharmacy, BS Pharmacy. :)
    Sana talaga makapag transfer ako...ang layo po kasi sa elbi hehe...anyway, thanks po sa pag reply :D
  • mikemenesesmikemeneses Member PExer
    the INTARMED Program aka BS BMS doesn't accept shiftees or transferees. it is only for the UPCAT TOP 40 senior HS students who indicated in the UPCAT form their interest to apply for the program. Initially, the screening committee selects the TOP 100 or so, then they will have to go through panel interview to determine if they qualified for the course.
    In short, pang genius lang to...halimaw ang mga INTARkids na yan!
    ahh...ganun po pala..oh well, try ko nalang mag apply sa ibang course..san po bang pre med course madali makapag shift?
  • arkheMarkheM Member PExer
    At UP, any bachelor's degree can be pre-med provided you passed the additional required science subjects.
  • mikemenesesmikemeneses Member PExer
    At UP Med, any bachelor's degree can be pre-med. No required minimum units of science subjects, at least during my time.
  • Hi. Gusto ko lang pong itanong. Kapag po ba nag graduate ako as an Intarmed student pareho lang po sya kapag nag take ako ng 4 years pre med, 4 years in med school and 1 year internship? I mean, same opportunities po ba after graduation?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file