Home PEx Sports PBA

The Woolpert Issue: What's your opinion?

Talk 'N Text is really insisting on these idiot foreign coaches. Puhleaze, Baylo is a complete jerk, now, here comes Woolpert...

And how much is this guys' salary??? No wonder, the Pilipino Telephone Corporation (PILTEL) is net loss per year is one of the biggest in the country.

Indeed!

Comments

• i dont know why chito narvasa cant accept the fact that he cant coach.i dont know why they insist that only filipinos coach in the pba when the best coaches are elsewhere.

when was the last time a filipino coached a team to a gold medal or to an international championship?
  • Talk n Text's insistence on imported coaches highlights two things:

1. They are that liquid in dollar reserves; and
    2. They've lost faith in local coaches.

I've no qualms bringing in foreign coaches as long as there is a programmed transfer of knowledge and that such coaches would influence locals to follow their example. Besides, maganda sana if foreign coaches would learn to operate within the cultural nuances of Pinoys. The thing is, they strut their stuff like their God's gift to coaching and damn the rest, I'm the best! How are you going to win disciples if the master is a complete jerk?!?

About Phil Woolpert: I don't know much about his coaching philosophy and I only caught his first game last Friday so I can't really render any assessment of his worth. But he's physically imposing, that's for sure! :D
  • i didn't get to watch t'n't's all-pinoy debut, but from what i've heard, paul woolpert's even worse than bill bano, este bayno pala. worse...in terms of temperament. if you think bayno's a hot-tempered referee-cursing lechon-deprived bobby knight knock-off, then woolpert's even worse...daw.

it figures...after all, his father phil, the coach of the university of san francisco (i.e. bill russell's alma mater) in the '50s, is one of the most lechon-deprived men in basketball history. his shabby treatment of ex-olympian gerry cruz sent the latter back home after he became the first pinoy recruited to play basketball for a major u.s. college...

still, i have no qualms with having americans coach in the pba. let's just not make it a habit...

LECHON = LYDIA'S (TM)
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    It's their money. Let them waste it. Di rin naman sila magcha-champion kahit taga-Mars pa kunin nilang coach :p

I have no problems with foreign coaches. In fact, I had no problem with Bill Bano at first. Nung nagpupu-putak na lang siya nagka-problema. If rumors were true that Woolpert is worse than Bano, then I just might start calling him Fool-pert :D
  • imho, i think woolpert's stunting talk 'n' text's offensive potential. the way i see it, he's bayno's antithesis in terms of offensive game plan.

once again, i didn't get to watch the fedex-talk 'n' text game, but when those two teams play, surely you expect a higher score than 64-60! kahit na all-filipino...

LECHON = LYDIA'S (TM)
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    WTF is Narvasa doing????

First of all TIMES changed!!! even the NBA is welcoming international players in their league....pati coaches din

Second..... PERA YAN ng TALK N TEXT...... YOU don't tell a person HOW to SPEND his OWN MONEY di ba??

kung ano gusto nila gawin....yun ang gawin nila
  • Its their money naman so bahala sila... guess TnT wants the american system of these coaches.. Sa pinas kasi, local coaches still have the tendency to pass to the money man kind of play e sa states and other countries.. puro ball movement.

question lang.. diba si tim cone american din? even ron jacobs is american.. whats the diff?
  • Regardless of his attitude, Bill Bayno did wonders for TnT. He taught the local coaches a thing or two. If TnT had hired a local coach at the start of the season, do you think they would have been anywhere near the Commissioners Cup Finals?

I don't blame TnT for bringing in foreign coaches, the PBA is a business and you can't afford to have a losing team. If Paul Woolperth doesn't last long I think Johnny Nuemann (former head coach of the Lebanon NT) would be a good replacement.

I don't know what Narvasa's problem is, sure it is understandable that the BCAP would want to protect the plight of local coaches and it would be great to have a local coach at the helm but the question is how many local coaches are actually qualified? The BCAP as the coaches organization in the Philippines should work towards bettering the skills of local coaches. How many coaches do the BCAP send to foreign camps? How many clinics do the BCAP hold?

One of the major problems of Philippine basketball is that we take a "patriotic" stand all the time. Why does it matter if a foreigner is coaching in the PBA? If he's qualified then let him coach. We just might learn a thing or two. Take a look at Indonesia -- they don't have illusions that they're very good in basketball thus they employ Filipino's to teach them the game -- because they know that they are not as good as the Filipinos. That's what we should do, we should employ foreign coaches because Philippine basketball needs a major facelift.

Take a look at the Euroleagues and the South American Leagues -- hell, these guys are 10x better than the PBA yet they employ American coaches, they invite former NBA asst. coaches, trainers etc... to hold clinics in their respective countries. Why? Because they want to get better. They don't think it's "unpatriotic" to hire foreign coaches because in the long run it's their entire basketball program that will benefit. Eh sa 'Pinas? Ano bang ginagawan ng BCAP?
  • let him coach!

BCAP, wala namang accomplishments yan
    panay porma at dada
  • Originally posted by kidcharlemagne
    Talk n Text's insistence on imported coaches highlights two things:

1. They are that liquid in dollar reserves; and
    They are not liquid and I doubt if they have dollar reserves!!!

Actually, PILTEL has one of the biggest net loss in the business world. It's retained earnings as of December 2000 is NEGATIVE 40 billion. I have checked their financial statements last year, but I don't remember their exact financial statements, but they did cut their losses by a few billion pesos.

Indeed!
  • AnthonyServinioAnthonyServinio Member In Focus PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Originally posted by DontFeedTheDog_
    Take a look at Indonesia -- they don't have illusions that they're very good in basketball thus they employ Filipino's to teach them the game -- because they know that they are not as good as the Filipinos. That's what we should do, we should employ foreign coaches because Philippine basketball needs a major facelift.
    Read my exclusive interview with one of two Filipino coaches in Indonesia, Geraldo "Bong" Ramos of 2002 Three-peat champions Aspac Texmaco. Click on this link to read the interview now. He has some thoughts on this issue.

By the way, the other Filipino coach in Indonesia is Coach Nathaniel "Nat" Canson of losing 2002 finalist Satria Muda. Two Filipino coaches met in the 2002 Indonesian League Finals!
  • How would Chito Narvasa feel if a Filipino coach is hired by a US NCAA team, then was forced to resign because of pressure from other American coaches there? Or does he care at all? Bakit kasi di maamin ni Narvasa na kahit anong gawin niya, wala pa ring kukuha sa kanya para mag-coach sa PBA. Bano kasi siya mag-coach. Inggit lang siya kay Bayno at Woolpert.
  • Let the guy coach... hindi na ba nagcocount ngayon ang gusto ng owner? Who knows kapag wala pa ring mangyari sa bagong coach Pinoy naman kunin nila. Bottom line, it's the owner's decision and we should respect that.
  • Originally posted by mintymalone
    Let the guy coach... hindi na ba nagcocount ngayon ang gusto ng owner? Who knows kapag wala pa ring mangyari sa bagong coach Pinoy naman kunin nila. Bottom line, it's the owner's decision and we should respect that.

Well said, mintymalone, right on the dot. By the way, I stand corrected, richyuppie. So the question now is: san kumukuha ng pambayad ang talk n text sa mga American coaches nila?
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    eh si narvasa? what was his team's record nung last time sya nag coach?? i think dismal performance yun .... i dunno pero i got the feeling mababa record nya...... all he had was one good conference with shell then others.... wala na.....

tama yung sabi ni archie andrews and others...... what if filipino ang nag coach sa US NCAA or lets say sa NBA....tapos pinapaalis ng mga KANO!!!!

ingit lang kasi eh
  • ang rason daw ni Narvasa is the permit thingy. kesyo dapat daw pinublish sa papers "2 major dailies" daw yung face and name ni Woolpert.

di ba niya naisip possible effect nito sa international labor scheme? (huwarawording)

ilan ang filipinos na working sa U.S. ngayon? hiningi ba ng U.S. na ipublish name and face ng mga yon? milyun-milyun yon!!!

nakakainis pagkakitid ng utak niya.

bwiset.

:imu:
  • let him coach! bcap should just shut up!
  • Originally posted by kidcharlemagne

Well said, mintymalone, right on the dot. By the way, I stand corrected, richyuppie. So the question now is: san kumukuha ng pambayad ang talk n text sa mga American coaches nila?
    Where else but from Mr. (or is it Miss?) MVP, Manny V. Pangilinan.

PILTEL's retained earnings is minus P31.7 B as of Dec. 2001. They had a net loss for the first nine months of this year of 3 point something billion pesos.

Indeed!