Home PEx Sports PBA

Should the PBA send its ASIAN team to ABC?

CLYCLY PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
I think the PBA and the Philippine basketball would benefit if they send an RP team to the ABC Championships. They will get to play more against Korea, China and Lebanon. They could improve their game by doing so.

Who knows? maybe they could qualify for the World basketball championships like Lebanon.

Comments

• KARTOGKARTOG PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The Philippines has been sending a team to the ABC Men's Championship regularly, except last year what with the BAP leadership squabble.

The real question that remains to be answered is: Will the PBA send the Busan team to next year's ABC tournament?

From the columns of guys like Quinito Henson and Bill Velasco, I think there is really a lot of people like you and me who want this to happen.

It is hard to believe we will not be in the gold medal game in ABC 2003 if we just send this Busan squad.
  • Bryan_FuryBryan_Fury PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The Philippine Basketball's Situation at Present is like this:

GOD HAS OPENED THE DOOR FOR US.......NOW......ITS UP TO US IF WERE GONNA AVOID THE CHALLENGE AND CLOSE THE DOOR...AGAIN.........OR.......WE CHOOSE TO ENTER AND TAKE THE CHALLENGE THAT INTERNATIONAL BASKETBALL OFFERS.....
  • Im pretty sure our present Asiad team will make it to the top two (or dare I dream, the top tier). Given that, I'm sure the PBA players and coaches themselves would want a chance to perhaps meet the USA basketball team in the olympics. Sayang naman ang opportunity kung hindi natin tanggapin, diba?

And besides, if the team is looking for some sort of redemption for what happened in Busan, the next ABC Championships is the perfect stage to act out such gratifying revenge.

MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS
  • mag pa try-out sila nationwide at hindi mag base lang sa PBA na yan. mas maraming magagaling, mas bata, mas matatapang ang loob kahit sa amateur. bigyan nila ng chance to prove their talents at huwag daanin sa politika na yan. sawang sawa na kami sa patakbo ng mga makasarili eh.

yang RP Team na yan isabak sa international games para matuto at kahit talo eh masanay na para pag dating ng mas magandang tournament eh gumaling. kung ano mang team ang ilalaban sana alagaan nila ng mahabang panahon at huwag ilagay sa PBA para hindi mahawa. mas ok kung mas bata para may pag asa pang mahasa.

GO RP TEAM !!!
  • Kung hanggang anong level of play ka naglalaro hanggang doon ka nalang gagaling.

If the PBA only sends its players to the Asian Games then we can only be as good as China or South Korea or whoever the best Asian team is. If we don't venture out of our backyard then we won't even reach the level of the Germans, the Argentinians, the Aussies etc...

What does it matter if we get creamed by 60+ points in the summer Olympics or the Worlds? If we play in the next three Olympics and Worlds and we lose by an average of 50 points don't you think that we're going to start losing by 30+ to the top tier teams and actually start winning a game or two on our fourth try?

Experience and exposure goes a long way. Come the 2006 Asian Games are we going to wait for the PBA players to "unlearn" their one-on-one tendencies again? Are we going to say "Kasi kulang sa exposure eh", "Kasi hindi familiar sa FIBA rules"?

Take a look at Lebanon:
    Lebanon has been in the asian basketball circiut for less than a decade yet they have already won a silver medal in the ABC Mens Championships and sent a team to the Worlds. Filipino players are 10x more talented than Lebanese players are, but if we don't do anything they are going to be another China-esque worry in coming Asian Games. How did they achieve this: By playing other middle eastern countries, by regularly hosting the ABC Champions Cup -- which is actually only a club team competition which supposedly brings together the champion teams from around the different asian leagues. The Lebanese representatives there were just one team - the Sagesse team - from which the core of their NT came from. The Lebanese Federation was able to build from this one team a basketball program which can now brag of being able to send a team to the Worlds.
  • The ABC is a prerequisite to Asian teams joining the Olympic basketball competitions. We can't be a great regional basketball superpower unless we compete constantly with the likes of China and getting used to their style of plays.
  • i think the PBA should join not only in d Asiad, but also in the Asian Basketball Confederation.

if we place 2nd in the 2003 ABC, may ticket na tyo sa 2004 athens. ok lang kung tambakan tyo ng 50+ pts. the imporance is may exposure tyo.

also it is good if the PBA would send a team to the ABC champion's cup (i think they allowed to have imports)
  • i think the PBA has a lot to learn by observing european football leagues. they maintain a national team which plays year-round, yet they still have their club competitions, although they do have bigger rosters.

they also utilize the FIFA rule of country first before club, guiding a player on his priorities. for example a member of the the nigerian footbal squad playing for a team in the english leagues can leave his team to play back home for the african cup of nations, without fear of getting penalized.

also their season's schedules are closely coordinated as to not conflict with other tournaments. like most of the major european leagues end early for players to prepare for tournaments like the world cup or euro
  • Originally posted by BigBloo
    i think the PBA has a lot to learn by observing european football leagues. they maintain a national team which plays year-round, yet they still have their club competitions, although they do have bigger rosters.

they also utilize the FIFA rule of country first before club, guiding a player on his priorities. for example a member of the the nigerian footbal squad playing for a team in the english leagues can leave his team to play back home for the african cup of nations, without fear of getting penalized.

also their season's schedules are closely coordinated as to not conflict with other tournaments. like most of the major european leagues end early for players to prepare for tournaments like the world cup or euro

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • PBA, GISING! TUTULOG TULOG PA, GISING!! Send the PBA national squad to SEA and ABC. This is not an option for you to decide. ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!
  • Originally posted by velocity000
    PBA, GISING! TUTULOG TULOG PA, GISING!! Send the PBA national squad to SEA and ABC. This is not an option for you to decide. ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!

yung SEA games pwede na ibalato sa pbl/mba
    ang importante ang abc ..............then kung swertehin , ang next target ay olympics o yung world championships
  • FOR PETE's SAKE!!!!
    YES

With slight modifications.....palitan na si espino, boyet at ildefonso......bigyan uli ng chance si marlou!
  • Originally posted by velocity000
    PBA, GISING! TUTULOG TULOG PA, GISING!! Send the PBA national squad to SEA and ABC. This is not an option for you to decide. ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!

wag na lang sa SEA, kayang-kaya nmn yang ng PBL yan eh, ska no match sila sa level ng PBA. ska maliliit sila.
  • ano na kaya update dito?
  • based from newspaper accounts, it seems the PBA is not inclined to send a team to the ABC. Commissioner Bernardino instead proposed a pool of amateur players patterned after the NCC of the 80's.

Sayang naman ang opportunity! Di talaga tayo mananalo sa Asian Games if this is the PBA's mentality.

I think its time for the PBA to come out from its own shell.....Tama sinabi ng isang PExer, lets do away with the 2 conferences na may imports. Instead, an all Filipino conference, one reinforced with imports, and the other an INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT wherein the PBA can invite other Asian club teams.. O di ba mas mahahasa tayo sa international brand of play.

What if we send our posts to the website pba.com.ph??! para magising naman ang PBA..what you think people? perhaps our moderator The Rock can help us out with this :)
    I think the PBA board will be deciding today on commisioner Eala's proposals:

1 single-tournament season
    2 invitationals
    3 full PBA participation to ABC, Asiad (and WBC/Olympics if we qualify)
    4 fiscal year Oct to Jul

These are all related and I am hoping the board approves every one of them.

Para todo-bigay na ung lakas ng NT...
  • the_BuGsthe_BuGs PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ok talaga to si KARTOG! after one year na naman! :lol:
  • Originally posted by KARTOG
    I think the PBA board will be deciding today on commisioner Eala's proposals:

1 single-tournament season
    2 invitationals
    3 full PBA participation to ABC, Asiad (and WBC/Olympics if we qualify)
    4 fiscal year Oct to Jul

These are all related and I am hoping the board approves every one of them.

Para todo-bigay na ung lakas ng NT...

mukhang malakas ka yata sa itaas KARTOG

mukhang mapagbibigyan tayo regarding sa national team
    Originally posted by hanskyut
    mukhang malakas ka yata sa itaas KARTOG

mukhang mapagbibigyan tayo regarding sa national team

san itaas heaven? :D
    sana nga bro hanskyut para naman di na tayo maapi sa int'l competitions *okay* ... nakakasawa na palagi bitin ang NT...
    although the board has asked for 'more time' to consider Eala's proposal. Baka ung 5mo idle time worst-case scenario for eliminated teams ang medyo critical

Originally posted by the_BuGs
    Ok talaga to si KARTOG! after one year na naman!

ika nga e baka makuha sa tiyaga :) hehe

medyo makulit ako kasi
    "Every time history repeats itself the price goes up."
  • medyo makulit ako kasi
    "Every time history repeats itself the price goes up."[\quote]

Agree pag lagapak parin ang Basketball naten next year tuloy tuloy lang ang thread na to.