Home PEx Sports PBA

What's Stopping the PBA from Implementing International Rules?

1 point....

We did not lack in desire and heart, not in skills and obviously not talent. Our defense held up against the offensive machine of SoKor. But in the end, we shall look back at the little things that cost us the silver.

Little things like free throw shooting and motion. Bad habits sprawn out of the PBA and its NBA rules. Its a cycle. The PBA rules proliferates showmanship over precision. individual skill over team play, and personalities over basics. And as the premier basketball league in the country, we cannot expect the next generation of athletes to play differently.

Shifting to international rules has a lot of pros. But I may not be seeing the whole picture, the other side of the coin. So is there any reason why the PBA should keep its system?

Comments

• If the country's goal is to improve the level of basketball in the country to catch up not only with China, but the rest of the world in the long term, then it won't be enough for the major basketball leagues in the country to just adopt international rules. To me, the more important thing is for the country to continue to send it's very best players abroad for international competitions on a regular basis.

As the recent China versus RP results showed, China is way, way ahead of us when it comes to basketball. A 41 point blowout, can anybody imagine that? That would be how much the current RP national team will blow out a country like Burma, or Vietnam in basketbal. And to think that China has perennially at the tail end of international basketball competitions like in the Olympics, for example. 'So anlayo na talaga natin pagdating sa basketball hindi lang kumpara sa Tsina kundi sa mga bansang Europeo, at lalo na sa mga Kano.'

Even if the Fi-B-A adopts international rules, it would be useless in terms of improving the quality of play of Philippine basketball if our best players get to play against the very best of Asia only once every 4 years. Ideally, our best players should play in at least 1 international competition every single year. 'Diyan, talagang mahahasa tayo long term. Mabuti na yung me plano, kahit long term ang ini-expect na results kesa sa wala'.

Now, if the once a year international exposure of our best players is not achieveable at th moment, then the LEAST the country should do is once every 2 years. 4 years is just too long. Every 2 years may not really be that ideal, but it's definitely better than once every 4 years.

When I get angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset ... people die!
  • True, adapting the rules is not enough. But I think thats a start. We can't make the PBA send these players to join different international tourneys since money is in question. That would not be possible at the very moment.

But as for the adapting the rules, hey, what's stopping them?
  • What's stopping the PBA from adopting FIBA rules? E di sila rin. All it takes is a board resolution for them to totally scrap the PBA/NBA rules and go FIBA rules all the way or whatever resolution they may come up with. Let's wait.

rhk111 is right. What we need is more international exposure and greater continuity of initiated programs. Let's build on the advancements we have achieved. Our Busan efforts will not be in vain if from this apparent failure we can plant the seeds of future greatness.

Lessons learned:

1. Let's go back to basics. Two free throws counts the same as a throwdown tomahawk, and more when the game is on the line.

2. Again, like in the recent WBCs, a great team will beat a collection of great individuals.

3. Let's give equal emphasis to other team and individual sports in the same degree we accord basketball.

4. Sports psychologists must find a way to toughen the mental preparedness of our athletes. We lack the toughness to go all the way.
  • Return to basics of basketball, says Fil-Am coach Spoelstra
    08/01/2009 | 09:29 PM

Filipino-American NBA coach Erik Spoelstra believes every basketball player should get back in learning the fundamentals of the sport.

“Started working out on the fundamentals, the basics of basketball. Talent then comes next," said the Miami Heat coach in a recent clinic he conducted with selected collegiate players.

"Basketball is not an individual sport. You need to have a good teamwork. It’s not in the way you pass or the way you shoot but how you make your teammate look good."

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/168822/Return-to-basics-of-basketball-says-Fil-Am-coach-Spoelstra
  • Amen Spoelstra, well said!
  • Simple lang sagot diyan..PBA thinks that the International rules are boring..boring=less fans..

Mas gusto ng pinoys ang one on one plays. Being a commercial/professional league, siyempre dun sila sa gusto ng fans. Which is a shame, IMHO.
  • durden_tylerdurden_tyler PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Which is true really, the NBA has the take on this one. International ball could be a bit boring at times (player time-out adds excitement, eh?)

But yeah, at the price of the so-called basics.

But really, what are the differences? If you think of it all the major rules (3 points) are the same...
  • booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If the country's goal is to improve the level of basketball in the country to catch up not only with China, but the rest of the world in the long term, then it won't be enough for the major basketball leagues in the country to just adopt international rules. To me, the more important thing is for the country to continue to send it's very best players abroad for international competitions on a regular basis.

rhk111 wrote those words in 2002. it still applies today. wonder what he thinks of the current direction the pba is heading towards now by banning their best players from participating...
    What's Stopping the PBA from Implementing International Rules?

why would they implement the "boring" international rules when they have opted out of joining those international basketball competitions altogether? the should change their name to PBE.
  • fanaticism with the NBA. we're a nba-crazy nation pati sa premiere pro league natin kitang-kita. kung hindi lang tayo ganoon ka-hooked sa nba matagal nang naging fiba rules ang pba. kita nyo naman tayo lang ata ang league sa asia na may nba-like rules or parallel to it... parang yung nba 3-point line lang ang hindi natin na-adapt sa nba rules.

- rectangle yung freethrow zone at hindi trapezoid
    - pwede pa rin tumawag ng timeout yung players kahit saan sa court
    - 12 min quarters
    - 6 fouls to get disqualified, 6 team fouls to be in penalty

about superstar calls in the nba and the pba... mmm not sure kung iba ang fiba at nba/pba sa tawagan. kahit naman sa fiba rules hindi magbabago yan kasi may superstars din at meron din namang mga ****** referee. tignan na lang natin ang uaap for an example. lol.
  • ImpenneteriImpenneteri PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Actually by 2010 the FIBA rules will copy some of the rules in the NBA kaya baka medyo may hawig na in the future ang international bball sa NBA.

For example:
    - yung 3 point distance kasing layo na ng sa PBA yung white line.
    - meron ng semi circle sa paint for a no charge zone.
    - rectangle na ang paint area or freethrow area.

Pero yung system of playing ang dapat talagang matutunan at baguhin ng PBA at mangyayari lang to kung ang namumuno at ang board ay may guts to implement this. Pero as of this moment mukhang bahag ang mga buntot ng namumuno especially the commissioner.

The PBA should accept some of the responsibility in helping the national team and not completely dodge it as what they're planning now.

I'll say it again can we call the Gilas team the true national team? For me, no. we are still not united parang pinabayaan lang ng PBA na SBP ang maghandle when we all know we could use the services of several players in the PBA. Tayo lang yata sa Asia ang may problema na ganito considering na mahal natin ang sports na ito.

Ang nakakapanghinayang lang may mga fans parin na napakababaw ng pananaw para sa liga kaya ang PBA ay patuloy parin sa kahibangan nila.
  • shadow jedishadow jedi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^First of all let's agree that the PBA is first and foremost a commercial and advertising venue for companies. While there is some revenue from gate receipts and merhandising, media mileage is the bottom line.

While we may laud the PBA for carrying the flag for past international competitions, it is true that lending their players would conflict with the league's schedule and practices would always be arranged so as not to overlap or conflict with the player's mother ballclubs. In short, there would always be a conflict of interest and their efforts would always be just a band-aid solution at best.

While the PBA does have the best players (for now) we cannot force them to play for the country and disrupt their calendar.

The PBA set-up has no continuity and is not sustainable.

The thing is, if the PBA cannot give it their 100% then let someone else have that responsibility.
    ^First of all let's agree that the PBA is first and foremost a commercial and advertising venue for companies. While there is some revenue from gate receipts and merhandising, media mileage is the bottom line.

While we may laud the PBA for carrying the flag for past international competitions, it is true that lending their players would conflict with the league's schedule and practices would always be arranged so as not to overlap or conflict with the player's mother ballclubs. In short, there would always be a conflict of interest and their efforts would always be just a band-aid solution at best.

While the PBA does have the best players (for now) we cannot force them to play for the country and disrupt their calendar.

The thing is, if the PBA cannot give it their 100% then let someone else have that responsibility.

i think we should stop participating in these major international basketball tournaments na lang if we're not serious.

mag-SEABA na lang tayo.
  • ImpenneteriImpenneteri PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

The companies should also realize that they're into sports iba ang pagentertain sa mga sports aficionados hindi lang local pati international.

Kaya nga, instead of having the PBA a hundred percent full control of preparation, creation, funding of the team ay dapat ishare sa SBP. Kasi yung mga quality players nasa PBA na and I'm sure merong mga players dyan kung napasama lang sa Gilas team ay malaki ang mako-contribute.

Kung ayaw ng PBA mag contribute sa RP team ay dapat wag silang mag draft ng potential and talented players sa amateurs para sa RP team pero alam naman nating imposible ito. Maraming basketbolista dito sa atin pero ang tanong yung mga may future talaga ay di ganun karami especially ang mga giftted sa height. Example na lang si Japeth.

Sinabi ng PBA na hindi nila pakikialaman ang nasa pool ng RP team pero ang tanong hindi naman nila mapipigilan ang mga club team to lure the player to join the draft mga under the table kumbaga.

Sino ba namang tao ang magkakagana pang manood ng PBA kung alam naman nating low quality basketball lang ito, maliban na lang kung ikaw ay fan kagaya ng nasa LMTV section kasi puro kababawan lang ang habol.

Do you think with these kind of setup they're planning the PBA will last long? I'm sure the fans will realize it, maybe not now pero in the future sigurado yan.
  • gaya-gaya pa kasi sa nba e. basketball is team game. ibalik na uli sa fiba rules. yun ang tunay na basketball.
  • Pinoys can't jump. Now that's a fact. You won't see Pinoy cagers diving for the ball or let us even say dying for the ball. Standing at 6'6 feeling a giant already, damn it. That is boring basketball. In Looseball possessions, do you see them even jumping? Parang Pulut ng pulot *** ang babagal png gumalaw. That is the problem. These players walk like giants but they are indeed just too small for their sport. The Basics of Basketball is missing. Rebound, Defense, and simple Possessions.

If there is one kind of Play that best suites the PBA, it must be the play of the Phoenix Suns at the time when Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw, Rajah Bell or even Leandro Barbosa and Steve Nash were there. It was fun Basketball indeed. It was exciting and also thrilling. There were no big men indeed if you would compare them to other NBA team. Their average height could closely be compared to some PBA teams.

Why not play that kind of ball or which others call "small ball"? Personally, I don't watch PBA that often nowadays. Schoolwork is keeping me busy plus some other things in life. It wasn't like watching it 1999-2004. Even though I had Periodical Exams or Monthly Exams I still would make a schedule in order for me to watch it.

But now, it isn't effective no more. I don't see no trill. When me and my father would talk about Basketball, he only tells me one thing, "The kind of Philippine Basketball that I want is from an era that is Long Gone, the only player that he remember dying for the ball is Rudy Distrito".

The PBA is lacking players that are DYING for the Ball

Watching Collegiate Ball seems so much fun. Players are part of something. Unlike the PBA, players can't jump and are afraid of injuries.

HELLO. That's the profession you chose, Now be ready to die for it.
  • It's not the height as some would suggest. It's their passion for the game that most of the Filipino love. takot sa injury, takot mabalian. Playing for the National pool is stressing their daughters calling out where's daddy.-ASI TAULAVA. Damn. If you can't handle the pressure of being a player, pwede ba, magretiro ka na lang.
    If there is one kind of Play that best suites the PBA, it must be the play of the Phoenix Suns at the time when Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw, Rajah Bell or even Leandro Barbosa and Steve Nash were there. It was fun Basketball indeed. It was exciting and also thrilling. There were no big men indeed if you would compare them to other NBA team. Their average height could closely be compared to some PBA teams.

it won't work. pba players in general are not efficient shooters.
  • FIBA rules almost = NBA rules. Starting the next Olympic cycle, rectangle na ang key at malayo na ang tres. ang pagkakaiba na lang ay ang pagtawag sa time outs, possession arrow/jump ball, length of quarters at team penalties.
  • May defensive three second rule ba sa FIBA? Sa NBA kasi meron kaya it's harder to implement a true zone defense. Sa PBA din ata meron kaya hindi sanay mag-zone defense ang mga players natin.