Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Robert Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS

Did you know that the main character in the book, Juan "Johnny" Rico is Filipino?

The book, by the way is number one in the required reading list for everyone in the US Marine Corps.

Comments

• Pointless to answer but yes. He speaks tagalog and there was a battleship called Ramon Magsaysay near the end.

Heinlein served in the Philippines during WW2.
  • Originally posted by Bhodi Li
    Yes.
    Was at a US Marine Corps Base and I checked their library out to see what they read. Had a whole shelf full of ST. Library was huge but they only had a small fiction section.

Brought me back to a poposal a few friends had of donating fiction books for the Philippine Marine Corps to start a library in the Spratly Islands. US encourages its troops to read a lot. The Chinese have a 1000 volume library in their fortress on Mischief Reef (which they stole from us in '95). The AFP has barely enough funds to buy proper equipment, much less for a library to look after the psychological welfare of troops stationed in the Spratlys. Was told stories of troops nearly going bonkers while stationed there, and one of a young Filipino Marine who came back holding serious conversations with his parrot.

Just that/'Yun lang.
  • Bakit ka nag-quote? Quote din kita :D

Originally posted by opus224

Was at a US Marine Corps Base and I checked their library out to see what they read. Had a whole shelf full of ST. Library was huge but they only had a small fiction section.

Brought me back to a poposal a few friends had of donating fiction books for the Philippine Marine Corps to start a library in the Spratly Islands. US encourages its troops to read a lot. The Chinese have a 1000 volume library in their fortress on Mischief Reef (which they stole from us in '95). The AFP has barely enough funds to buy proper equipment, much less for a library to look after the psychological welfare of troops stationed in the Spratlys. Was told stories of troops nearly going bonkers while stationed there, and one of a young Filipino Marine who came back holding serious conversations with his parrot.

Just that/'Yun lang.
  • Originally posted by Bhodi Li
    Bakit ka nag-quote? Quote din kita :D

Reflex.