Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

do u think the philippines is "imitative"????

MANGO88MANGO88 Member PExer
do you think the philippines is "gaya-gaya"?
i recently read a book by pico iyer called "video night in kathmandu" which portrayed the philippines as "imitative".....that we make "gaya" from the US rather than inventing our own things....for example, it said that we copy most american music rather than having original pinoy music......i also remember speaking to some of my friends (who are not filipino) awhile back and, in some ways, they think of the philippines that way....that we don't have our own identity.....
what do you think?

Comments

• adlawadlaw gi-atay. PExer
    there is nothing wrong with imitating something per se, as long as we innovate on them, and in doing so surpass the original...
  • MANGO88MANGO88 Member PExer
    yah....as adlaw stated...."there is nothing wrong with imitating something per se, as long as we innovate on them, and in doing so surpass the original..."....i agree with you...but, in general, the PI is considered to be "gaya-gaya" by many ppl....what are some examples where the PI did "imitate" and what are examples of the PI's originals? i think the former outweighs the latter..... :\

whats are some differences btw the states and the PI? either living, culture, ppl......?
  • JDELEONJDELEON Saint in Process PExer
    Originally posted by du-kat:
    The difference is that most Filipinos immigrated with families and distant relatives. They came with the family security blanket. The Vietnamese came with nothing. The risk to the Filipino is high.

Its not that were copycats, we just have not yet understood that risk is good.

Thank you for your insightful analysis.

May Angels smile upon you,
    Joe
  • earlobeearlobe Member PExer
    yep i think they are sometimes although when we were in elelmentary we were taught of number of filipino traits such as creativeness now i ask does these traits still exist in pinoys????/
  • :?:? Unregistered PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    YES, there IS something wrong with imitating other's original works!! well, Not necessarily wrong but ... it sucks!!! :mad:

I was driving off the sidestreet when I saw this Toyota Corolla with white stickers on the hood that says: "Built by Japanese, but Improved by mexicans".. I was like, what the hell is up with those guys, and what the heck did they improved?? what were they smoking at that time??

Gaya gaya ang mga Pinoy. Period. Hindi lahat pero karamihan sa atin ay gaya-gaya. Examples: Mga kanta na lang eh.. mga RAP ni FrancisM, Mga Tagalog version nina RegineV, Yung crappy "TatayNik", at kung ano-ano pa.
    Yung Yahoo ginawang Yehey, yung AskJeeves ginawang AskJose.. haay naku.. tsk tsk

Creativeness doesn't always mean you're ORIGINAL. They're both different things.
    Gaya-gaya ang pinoy. Nuff Said.

So Such.

• du-katdu-kat Member PExer
    I don't think gaya-gaya is an appropriate characterization of us. The world is full of copying, the Japanese love to copy Europeans and Americans. Europeans love to copy the Americans and Americans want to be as regal as the Europeans, everyone wants to be as mystic as the Hindus.

We may however be more pre-disposed to copy others because of our way of loving our families. We as Filipinos love our families quite distinctly. The best example I have is about the CEO and owner of the British company "Virgin". This company started out as a music store and became a record label and then on to become Virgin Airways. The man is a billionaire and a daredevil having tried to be the first to float around the world in a balloon. He did not succeed. He almost died. When he was a child, very young, his mother left him in the middle of an open field far from home. He finally made it home by hitching a ride. When asked recently the mother replied that she purposely left him there so that he can learn to be independent and resourceful. I think you know where I am heading. We love our children as much but we could never in our hearts conceive of training our children in this way. We just cannot accept the risk. There are so many examples in our economy and in our lives where we cannot accept the risk. Oftentimes we criticize the movie moguls in our country for producing so many of these copycat movies, but if we examine their possible situations, we might understand. The producers are betting huge sums of money on a movie. They know from history and formula that they can profit albeit not so generously from a proven formula. They might get extremely rich but they could also disastrously fail if they pursue an original movie idea. The risks include losing your family if you go bankrupt, losing the approval that your parents have of you because you already have succeeded thus far. The risks are tremendous. So, we take the middle road and make our money with mediocre, unoriginal, mildly profitable movies.

Being original is extremely risky in all respects. One only has to look at the lives of the most original people such as painters, sculptors, scientists and others. The sacrifices they made were not only monetary but family as well. We should not confuse originality, it has many forms. Cesar Chavez in California is credited with organizing the union of farm workers, but it was originally started by a Filipino. The Yo-Yo was brought to the U.S. by a Filipino. He sold the rights to Duncan Corporation. Why did these people not pursue such original concepts, I would wager it was because of risk. The risk of becoming the dominant force in a majority hispanic labor force is enormous. To fight a corporation all alone with a Yo-Yo you brought from home is extremely risky.

In the U.S. one can see scores of Vietnamese businesses but still very Filipino businesses despite the fact that Vietnamese started coming only in the 19'70's. The difference is that most Filipinos immigrated with families and distant relatives. They came with the family security blanket. The Vietnamese came with nothing. The risk to the Filipino is high.

Its not that were copycats, we just have not yet understood that risk is good.

thank you for you replies.....

why do you think that many filipinos think that "white is good...that being white is better"....for example, with physical appearance.....the more mestiza/o u r, the better...but when these mestizas/os go to america, it doesnt matter..they're just the same as everyone else...they're considered beautiful in the philippines but not in the US.......another example, the philippines is becoming more and more Americanized with their products, ways of living, etc....

does that make sense? i can't really put my thoughts into words right now.... :\
  • :?:? Unregistered PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ..... because of Colonial Mentality. Naka-embed na sa isip ng (karamihan) sa mga Pinoy na "mestizas" are more superior than "regulars". Here in U.S. nobody gives a damn about skin colors.
    Originally posted by :<;THORN>;:
    ..... because of Colonial Mentality. Naka-embed na sa isip ng (karamihan) sa mga Pinoy na "mestizas" are more superior than "regulars". Here in U.S. nobody gives a damn about skin colors.

really? wala na bang "black problem" sa america ngayon?
  • JunoJuno Achtung, baby! PExer
    Originally posted by :?:

O ya? What about the racial problems over there, eh? :) Hehe...cool it. I think I know what you mean.

What really annoys me over here is that SO MANY pinoys think that maputi = beauty.

...Which is really twisted.

I maintain a website of a Filipina model (who grew up in the US and is now living in HK). I get the feedback e-mail from the viewers of her site. Once I got something like "Wala siyang karapatan maging model. She's looks just like me - she's as maiitim as I am, except she's taller."

Another example. I was talking to a pinoy acquaintance about a guy we both knew and I asked her what she thought of him. She said "ayoko sa kaniya - guwapo sana kaya lang maiitim..."

Officemates I overheard in the office. "Ang puti-puti niya - ang ganda..."

Why do we have to be as white as white americans/other foreigners to be beautiful? I can't stand those whitening cream commercials. If I were a guy, I'd take Wilma Doesnt over Lucy Torres any day.

About music naman...I don't understand these rappers who think they can rap. Chill, that Agassi guy, and KC Montero (was that him in the Regine V. video?), etc etc etc. (At least Francis M is a little more original than the ones I just mentioned - or at least he tries to be. He deserves credit for that.) They canNOT rap. I'm sorry. I don't understand why they can't do it in a more original way. Diba? Sige, magrap sila but give it a new twist or something. What they do is they really try to immitate US rappers. Why would I need that?

I watched something on Studio 23 a few months ago and it made me blush with shame. I think it was Gameplan. They were interviewing "surfers" in Boracay I think. And these pinoys....these pinoys were dressed like Californian Surfers talaga...complete with the wetsuit and everything. And they were raving...raving about how WILD and HUGE the waves were while they were surfing. And they were saying "Wow, man...I was totally wiped-out out there!"

OK...one problem though. In the Philippines, we don't HAVE waves. So what were they talking about? Our waves are PUNY...one or two feet at the most and they looked RIDICULOUS. They were falling off their surfboards on one-foot waves. And they were raving about a wipe-out?! You get a wipe-out on hawaiin/californian 50-foot waves, not Filipino 2-foot waves...

What's so nakakahiya is they were trying so hard to sound californian pa. Complete with repetitive uses of "dude". Gumastos pa sila sa mga wetsuit nila - which are hella expensive - to fall off two-foot waves. Okay.

We should take good ideas from other cultures/countries, give it a boost or a new twist - to make it an original, and not an imitation.

[This message has been edited by Juno (edited 08-08-2000).]
    JUNO : lol.gif funny story about the waves lol.gif

well, why DO Filipinos want to go to America so much anyway? do they really think that it's the "land of milk and honey"? i've lived in both countries....i don't think it's the perfect society....yah it's better than the philippines and there are more opportunities, but there's negative aspects to it too....i've seen how Filipino's who are already well-off in the PI, come to the states and are looked down upon..and they risked everything! .......like in the movie Sana Maulit Muli with Aga Mulach and Lea Salonga....Aga was in a high position job as an advertiser or marketer for a PI firm, but when he came to the States, all he could do was blue collar jobs (dishwasher, carwasher, etc)....why don't degrees from many PI schools, transfer in to America?

and what's up with the politics in the PI?
    it's full of showbiz ppl!! wonder.gif

i dont get it myself........ :confused:

• big_botebig_bote Member PExer
    I think that the Philippines likes imitating other countries, especially the U.S. I mean, even our flag's design is based on the American flag. Aguinaldo ordered it to be so that he will be on America's good side, since he knows that the U.S. can kick our *****.
    Originally posted by big_bote:
    I think that the Philippines likes imitating other countries, especially the U.S. I mean, even our flag's design is based on the American flag. Aguinaldo ordered it to be so that he will be on America's good side, since he knows that the U.S. can kick our *****.

elaborate on the flag design, please. are you referring to the original design? care to describe it for us? and point out the similarities, too.

the modern philippine flag is in no way similar to that of the US.

is this true about the flag design? i didn't know that....... :confused:
  • PauTOTPauTOT BRAHAH! PExer
    yes I think gaya gaya nga tayo...I mean what can you expect? before we were able to develop our own culture we were colonized, raped, and left for dead.....maybe we've become ashamed of our culture because everytime we try to stand on our own, somebody keeps looking over our shoulder telling us that "that's not how it's done Pedro, let me show you....."

the mere fact that we use English to teach our kids tells us something about how we feel about our own culture (language shift muna ako).....bakit nga ba inggles ang pagturo sa ating mga kabataan? ibig sabihin ba nito ay hindi pang intelihente ang ating wika, at para sa mga maid at drivers lang ang salitang ito?

[This message has been edited by PauTOT (edited 08-10-2000).]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file