Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - General
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Foreign Films or Local films?

What do you usually watch?

Me? I'll go for the foreign films.

It's not colonial mentality or anything- it's just our inept board of censors, the MTRCB, and the tastes of the masses often force moviemakers to produce commercialized films that's all entertainment- and no substance.

Our restrictive (and hippocritical) values system often stifle our director's creativity- thus they try old but proven (for the masses) cliche formulas.

Restrictions placed upon by the chrch and the so called "moral majority" often make directors afraid to experiment- and bring out their creative potential.

Thus- our films are restricted to dramas, jologs, gutter comedy, mindless action films (with the usual common man against the system revenge storylines), teenybopper love teams, and soap operas to the big screen rehashes.

Comments

• It feels really sad to watch the infiltration of foreign films into our local movie industry. Filipinos have so much to hold on to and be proud about. We have very good value systems that could be preserved for posterity but unfortunately we are far behind in technological advancement. I believe that Philippine cinema is something that has to be encouraged. There are plenty of talented local actors and actresses and governments should invest in local filmmaking efforts to encourage more Filipino films.
  • foreign films but not hollywood films(pretentious crap!) and some few outstanding filipino films.
  • Originally posted by ben_singkol25
    foreign films but not hollywood films(pretentious crap!) and some few outstanding filipino films.

yup, nope those hollywoods prententious films, but those which have meat in them like the Big Fat Greek Wedding and other European films like Amelie :)
  • If possible I shy away from local films. Except for the occasional good ones.

Wake up local movie makers!!! Your work stinks.:(
  • I don't watch many Pinoy films. Kasi we all know na hindi ganon kaganda ang quality nito.
  • @The Corinthian

one question..... how can we penetrate the global market?
  • Originally posted by DapHnes_wOrld
    @The Corinthian

one question..... how can we penetrate the global market?

there's another thread for your question. search mo na lang.
  • Originally posted by the_coRinthian

Restrictions placed upon by the chrch and the so called "moral majority" often make directors afraid to experiment- and bring out their creative potential.

Thus- our films are restricted to dramas, jologs, gutter comedy, mindless action films (with the usual common man against the system revenge storylines), teenybopper love teams, and soap operas to the big screen rehashes.

That's not fair. There are a lot of directors who experiment and are making exceptional movies. The only problem is people who say they want those movies don't even watch it.

And I'm not talking about MMFF entries.
  • originally posted by ben_singkol
    Ithere's another thread for your question. search mo na lang.

i couldn't find that thread....

anyways....*bump* ...i like dis thread....
  • i go for FOREIGN FILMS, particularly Japanese, Chinese and Iranian.

they are simpler yet more realistic. effective enough even sometimes portrayed by non-actors.
  • same with bensingkol and teamoon, I'd go for foreign films, specifically those not from Hollywood.

bugsbunny: I for one would love to watch Filipino "experimental" movies if there's a more accessible venue for me to watch them. I think work has limited me from leaving Ortigas and Makati. Accessibility has hindered working people from going to CCP or UP Film Center to watch these films. If there's an "artfilm" venue located in the middle of the city (a mall to be exact) dedicated to showing foreign art films, I also hope this venue (or better yet, why don't they build a new venue) will also show Filipino film classics or experimental films from our directors. But then, Mr. Ayala and Mr. Sy might be thinking of other agenda.

It's all about the money......
  • winterfell2013winterfell2013 PEx Rookie ⭐
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen Filipino films in a very long time. I prefer foreign films (non english or those that are not from Hollywood). Parang mas realistic for example: pansinin ang outfit and makeup ng mga hollywood or Filipino films then compare to those let's say Spanish, French, German etc.. parang ang USA/Philippines mga actors are very conscious sa looks nila. I know they are acting but at least make it believable. Wish I have some photos or clips to show and compare. you'll see the huge difference even in tv series since I watch a lot of series too. 

then maybe because of my age na din na mas gusto ko ang nagugulat ako? for example: who have seen the movie Old Boy from Korea? hindi ba kayo naloka na ang ending naging GF ng bida ay anak pala nya? who have seen the movie irreversible ni monica belucci? I heard marami daw nag walk out because of her ***** scene. then her movie the apartment, no idea that it will end that way. parang mas may impact para saken kapag na shocked ako kesa sa and they live happily ever after that I will forget in just a day or two. foreign films are not usually about boy meets girl, they fall in love and get married, the end.
  • winterfell2013winterfell2013 PEx Rookie ⭐
    meron din love stories sa foreign film: how can I forget love me if you dare in marion cotillard 
  • sophieharpersophieharper PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    When It comes to action and suspense, I prefer foreign films. Sad to say, some local action films are not that great. Maybe because of lack of resources. Foreign producers have more access to the state of the art production materials. Medyo huli lang tayo sa part na yun. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file