Home PEx Family and Society Family, Friends and Society

...aNd is It FiNE Being an ONLY CHILD? Is it a blessing or a curse?

Is It?

Comments

• being an only child has its advantages and its disadvantages. one of the advantages is that you get all the attention and love from your parents. one of its disadvantages is that you often get lonely and wish you have somebody (flesh and blood) to share your stories and secrets with.

it depends on the way you look at it.
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Yep, it's fine naman. :)

I agree with kirstenn, being the only child has its advantages and disadvantages. One, you get all the attention of your parents. This may be good, but it may also be bad. Like when you haven't done anything wrong, but your mom is in a foul mood, ikaw ang makikita niya. Two, you don't have brothers and sisters. That means you don't have to share anything with anyone :) , but that also means it can get lonely at times.

• Sabi nila medyo weirdo daw kapag only child kasi walang early training on social graces w people his/her age?

On the one hand, they grew up rather independent...or dependent depending on the case (ano daw? depe-depe, apepeh!)

Rewind. Yun.
  • MaverickMaverick PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    slurbrun: actually nasa parents and immediate members of the family din iyan. it's up to the elders if they want the only child to be the near-perfect, super-bait at matalino person, or the spoiled brat everyone hates. dapat nasa lugar din ang pagdi-discipline. pag sobrang higpit, magrerebelde yung anak. pag sobrang lenient, maliligaw naman ng landas. balanced dapat ang lahat. take it from me - an only child myself.
    slurbrun: bratty? no. eh di yari ako sa mga parents at lola ko kung ganun, hehe. about the other question, ok lang. makulit din naman kasi ako eh. pero i try to get a feel first nung person before i make the move to start the friendship.
  • PePs : youre the only child and ur ALSO the only grand child? well isnt that 'a pressure'?? =)
  • malaki ang pressure! everyone's eyes are on you! it has its own good points and hitches. like when you're not from a well-off family, hindi practical na marami kang kapatid kasi apektado ang growth mo physically, mentally, and emotionally. it's also nice kasi ur parents can really mold you!
    but one hitch is that u will always look for someone you can turn to. in that case, if u run out of friends, parents ang answer, but what if they're gone na? i realized 3 years ago na masarap magkaroon ng kapatid! (well, 3 years old pa lang siya!)
  • maverick: u didn't grew bratty then? but were u good at friendship, i mean at starting friendship?

PePs: I can't believe it! Only Child, Only Grandchild and Only Niece! Ano ba yon! Nakaka-pressure nga! Pero mas siguro ang pressure sa guys na ganon ang case kasi nga sa kanya yung family name.

king_jesse: did u purposely ask for another child? di ang layo ng age gap niyo. girl or boy? how did u adjust to the new kid?
  • I agree with Peps, it's really a bit of both. I guess the best thing about being an only child is learn to be independent and responsible at an early age. Ang ayaw ko lang talaga is when sometimes, hindi naman ma-avoid na magdisagree ka sa mga elders mo di ba?, when that happens, they will say na kse 'spoiled ' ka. Yung ganun, kainis. Basta nag-drift ka ng direction eh maba-brand ka as 'spoiled brat.' At saka sometimes, parents of an only child tend to be 'mahigpit' with their unica hijo/hija.Pero I'm so happy na nagkakapatid na ako. I can't imagine surviving 14 years of alone-ness (I don't think it's actually loneliness). Masarap din 'yung may kasama ka sa room, may maaaya kang bumili sa kanto. May mauutusan kang kumuha ng tubig, makisindi ng electric fan, at kung anu-ano pa. It's still merrier kung may kapatid ka. :)
  • Maverick: Pero, like PePs, I suppose u grew up also w ur cousins so u do not really think na lumaki ka mag-isa. Eh sa lolo't lola, di ba they tend to pamper their apo? Di ka ba na-spoil?

Choice ba ng parents mo na isa ka lang? (this last Q is open to everyone).
  • king_jesse: Medyo pareho pala tayo ng case. Kaya lang, I have two siblings, 1 bro and 1 sis.

Do u know the reasons kung bakit only child lang kayo? Sa tingin n'yo ba your parents planned it that way or what? Sa case kse namin eh physiological ang problem.king_jesse & PePs, sa inyo?
    slurbrun: hindi ako ganun ka-close sa mga cousins ko. i grew up na best barkada ko is my lola. medyo pampered din ako ng grandparents ko, pero hindi naman spoiled.

yup, choice nga ng parents ko na isa lang ako. mahirap daw magpalaki ng anak eh, hehe...
  • slurbrun: i did not ask for another child, i just got home from school and i saw mommy fixing baby stuff...now i had a clue. before, dapat kukuha na kami, pero nagwala ako (10 yrs. old)...i really believe in time and space... it was right timing bec. my parents and I became renewed Catholics and had better views on life, so mas open kami to big changes in the family. it was pure joy when i saw my sister!

i guess it's nice that we have a W I D E age gap. I tend to be more fatherly to her and siempre wala na yung inggit o selos. grabe, i love the girl so much!

krayola: only child lang ako before bec. my dad has a problem with his health. my mom naman had hysterectomy when I was abt.12, so no more chance after that. the 'only child' status was not planned but a product of unavoidable circumstances, and God's perfect will...
  • me too!!! only grand child and only child...
    it's fun coz i usually get what i want, but not always... and i'm close to my parents... young pa kse cla.. i'm 17 and they're only 35!!! so close kme...
    although sometimes... i tend to look for someone to share problems... like a sisterly figure... or a brotherly figure....
  • IT WAS FINE...REALLY.
    I LEARNED TO BE INDEPENDENT.
    I LEARNED TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR MYSELF.
    BEING AN ONLY CHILD DOES GIVE YOU SOME KIND OF EMPTINESS...BUT IT CAN BE FILLED IN BY MY FRIENDS.
    I HAVE ALREADY TOLD MY MOTHER: "WHATS THE USE OF YOUR TOO MUCH CARING AND ATTENTION ON ME...I'M A FULL GROWN MAN NOW...ITS NOT THAT I DISRESPECT YOU, BUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME IS ALREADY ENOUGH, AND I THANK YOU FOR IT.
    IT IS TIME FOR ME TO BE INDEPENDENT. AND DON'T WORRY, I HAVE SURVIVED 19 YEARS WITHOUT HAVING A BROTHER OR BROTHERS..."
  • Mysteryman: Your not insisting naman na it was fine noh :D

Di naman.
  • medyo kainis coz all of your parents' attention is on you. pag papagalitan ka wala kang kadamay. minsan lang naman yon kse gud girl naman ako. hehehe! ;)

hmm... in my case, hindi sila strict. nung high school, i didn't go out much naman so okay lang na i went home late. nung tumungtong ako ng college, wala na akong curfew. i could go home at 5 in the morning, ok lang sa kanila. i always tell them kung san ako pupunta saka they know that mabait naman ang friends ko. nahks! :)

the good thing about being an only child is that i have gained a lot of friends. dahil malungkot sa bahay (lalo na if both your parents are working), palagi ako naghahanap ng kausap or kagimik. madalas tuloy akong wala sa bahay. hehehe! :)
  • calling all "only children" out there. need advice on my current state of alone-ness, not that baguhan ako since la talaga kong kapatid, but lately, i've been fearing for my future: imagine having your parents die one after the other with you as the sole, financial provider since you don;t have siblings to share the costs with. aside from the expenses though, you still have the dilemma of spending holidays alone, if friends won't be able to keep you company, and you're supposedly close relatives on both your parents' sides aren't exactly your cup of tea...
    ->bottomline? i just need someone to tell me i'm not alone. help please? :)
  • bLaCkbLaCk PExer
    i'm an only child too!
    but unlike yours, my parents are separated.
    i feel happy naman kasi they spoil me... as in super spoil. anything i ask, they give me.
    the thing is, even if they're separated, they're the best of friends... they even run the family business together... and they know each other's boyfriend and girlfriend..

here's the catch: i fear that if either of them gets married again and have a new family... they'd send me to the other one. or if both of them gets married, neither of them would want to have me.

that's why i spend a whole lot of time with them. when i was in high school, i was never really close to them... just when i needed something. but now... i'm really trying to show them my gratitude and my love for them...

because i know one of these days.... i'd have to stand on my own.
  • thanks for the advice, council. yeah i see what you mean. shouldn't be so pessimistic about the future, huh? la lang. can't help but think about it kasi sometimes. but i appreciate your two cents worth. cheers! :)

hey there, black! well i see we're more or less on the same boat..though it seems as if you're better off kasi ako di naman spoiled talaga. (promise hinde!) hay nako, dontcha agree hassle talaga maging only child?! kaya ako pag mag-asawa na'ko, gusto ko dami anak! hehe..pero whatever na lang talaga. lam mo yun? cge thanks for answering ah, you take care na lang. cheers!