Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga

Survey: Anime, PC & the Internet

Hi,

I'd like to hear straightforward comments from people on this theme, Anime, PC & the Internet. It's for an article I'm writing about how Anime, PCs and the Net are so mutually intertwined with each other, on the basis of watching the latest anime from Japan, spreading the popularity, getting the newest info on a series or projects from manga artist, anime creators and publishing houses..etc...

Anyway, you can just post short comments about Anime, how you never knew about this series until you saw it on the Net, or how you watch anime on VCD formats or DVD formats, or where do you get your anime fix.

I'd like a good sampling of most aspects on this theme though. Even those that have even experienced subtitling a video and or converting one format to another.

If I do end up using a comment you have made, I'd gladly inform you first prior to publishing, if it pushes through.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• hmm yung internet a great source for anime resources like mp3s, information, pictures ant mga news about the anime, its a place where we can also find future anime releases! i love you internet!!! hehehehe :lol:
  • The Net Is Vast And Infinite... as that cute cyberchick once said.

As long as one can make out a website out of something it will appear on the net. It's not just anime, be it S&M, or Hungarian films, or books of Karel Capek, etc...
  • MygzMygz PExer
    if any anime enthusiast is in a fix abut any of his/her anime wants or needs, the net is almost always the answer, especially when it comes to news and memorabilia.

there are even Filipino fans who watch certain elusive anime on-line, or at least get an early peek at good anime released in Japan but nowhere else (yet). people have managed to watch anime such as Fruits Basket long before it became popular here by getting access to anime web-casts. :)
  • Anime- PC: most people watch their anime vcd's in their PC's i think.

Anime-internet: well... with sites like http://www.anipike.com and http://www.noated.com, how can we not use the net to download anime stuff? :)
  • the internet has totally revolutionized the way we purchase, view and learn about anime. it's become so much a part of anime fans' lives that it's hard to imagine the world without it.
  • just a few years ago, anime fans outside japan had to rely to those old school fansub groups, wherein they sub it the old way [using other hardware, and almost unsed subtitle formats like jacosub] and distribute them in vhs tapes. quality is fairly decent, but it takes a whole lot of process [and time] just to fansub an episode. thus, fansub groups before are very scarce, and you'll have to PAY for the vhs tapes plus shipping and handling just to preview an anime through fansubs. and that's why there aren't that much animes that were subbed before. that's also one of the reason why animes aren't that much popular in north america[and most of the countries outside japan] before.

digital fansubbing got a boom in late 90's and early 2000, and through the improvement in various pc softwares and hardwares in pc, more and more groups are now trying to give fansub a try. quality has been getting better and better, especially with the birth of digital cables, which, with proper expertise and ryt hardware/software, ppl can rip an episode with superior audio/video quality. internet has also played a big factor with the growth of digital fansubs. fansubbers get their source[raw anime episode] mostly from p2p file sharing appz, and/or directly from ppl who could rip those episodes from their tv [with digital cable]. and with the use of their bandwidth, fansub members could just send the files to each other in a matter of minutes or hours so they could do their part without taking too much time waiting for the others to finish their part. internet brought the term "free fansub" to it's fullest definition. fansubbed animes are being distro'ed through irc, and newsgroups so ppl could download it for free. without paying extra for it. it also spreads through countless p2p program.

more and more animes are being fansubbed digitally, most of them were just shown in japan the day before. unlike in old school fansubbing where it could take weeks to finish an episode. and because more and more animes are being introduced to the online anime community, it's popularity makes those north american companies to invest in them and bring it here in north america [to be butchered :P].

also, with the rise of internet and digital fansubbing, bootlegging businesses also benefited from it. some ppl, who could get those fansub animes can burn them into cd directly [as pc format video files] or take 1-3 hours to convert each episode to vcd/svcd and then sell them to people.

i've been involved in anime and dorama fansubbing and these are the essentials of digital fansubbing.

-the raw
    -translation
    -timing [the hardest and most time consuming part]
    -subtitle editing
    -quality check
    -internal distro

as with the program, most digital fansub groups do it through substation alpha, where in they rip the audio of the file and translate it. timing is also done there, so with the subtitle editing. but there are also other programs that would let you sub a file using it's audio and video for better grasp of it.

in encoding/reencoding, most ppl use virtual dub, and the l33t subbers use gorknot[sbc]. most of the time, the file is in divx format, but it depends on whether it's 3 or 4 or 5 version. ;)
  • teppei: ahh yung timing pala mahirap! kaya pala minsan napapansin ko delayed o kaya sobrang bilis yung paglabas ng sub :lol:
  • MAD_pATUY: yeah. hirap talaga no'n. nung timer ako, it takes me at least 1.5-3 hours to finish a 20-30 minute ep. usually, it takes around that much or longer para lang ma time yung isang episode. u have to find where the sentence[translations] would fit and check if they're supposed to appear all in one line, etc. and u have to time the start time and delay, which is really time consuming ksi u have to check if u got it ryt. and then after u finish, u'll have to rewatch the entire episode to check if u made some timing mistakes. pero yung ibang fansub groups ngayon hindi na ginagawa ito para lang mairelease nila yung episode agad kaya minsan palpak ang mga timing ng subs nila.
  • Guys and Gals,

Thanks....keep them coming. ^_^

I don't know if anyone knows this but I heard that the whole Sub Station Alpha program, yup the great and best subtitling program which is the basis of most subtitling on AVI works as far as I can remember, was devolped mainly to subtitle Ranma 1/2... yup, anime probably moved innovations on having software put subtitles on AVI files...

Anyway, that's what I heard or read at SSA's page back then...maybe somebody heard this already, or I may have mixed up my anime history...he he he, anyway...thanks again.
  • necr0necr0 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Teppei: mukhang expert ka sa timing, etc. May tanong ako sayo. Meron pa bang way para maayos ang timing ng video files? Meron kse akong mga anime na in real(i think, am not sure, will check later) format and for some reasons mas mabagal yung visual kaysa audio nung movie. Pagka-play ko, unti-unting naiiwan yung video. Meron bang way na maayos yung timing nito? Salamas
  • thehitmanthehitman PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ahh yes, anime. The phenomenon that had me spending a significant amount of time and money.

Advancements made in the field of computers have made the distribution of anime so much easier and so much faster. Take the case of Chobits. Let's forget for a moment that it had already been licensed.

Episode is aired in Japan. Somebody tapes it, or maybe even records it directly into his PC via a video capture card. Subtitling software is used to make the raw Japanese episode comprehensible to non-Japanese viewers. The subtitled episode is saved in avi divx format, the latest and most advanced in PC/Internet video technology. The subtitled episode is now released into the Internet. Made available via IRC, streamload, etc. From the traditional 56K connection, the advent of cable and DSL has made downloading much faster. With a 56K connection, it would have taken forever to download a humongous 100-200 MB file. With Cable and DSL, downloading has been reduced to a matter of hours. Once downloaded, a viewer equipped with the correct player and codecs can view the anime. And he decides, it's very good. When the licensed version comes, I will buy it. If nobody licenses it, this fansubbed copy is mine to keep forever.

Computers have come a long way since the Intel 286 with 1 MB video card and ISA sound card. We now have the Pentium IVs and the AMD Athlons equipped with 64 MB AGP cards and PCI 5 or 6 channel sound cards. From the mono speakers, we now have the 5.1 speaker systems. DVD quality is way, way better than the primitive betamax format.

The human mind. Amazing!

:cool:
  • Originally posted by necr0
    Teppei: mukhang expert ka sa timing, etc. May tanong ako sayo. Meron pa bang way para maayos ang timing ng video files? Meron kse akong mga anime na in real(i think, am not sure, will check later) format and for some reasons mas mabagal yung visual kaysa audio nung movie. Pagka-play ko, unti-unting naiiwan yung video. Meron bang way na maayos yung timing nito? Salamas

unti unting naiiwan yung video? hmm... malamang ang diperensya ay codec problems o baka hindi kaya ng pc mo yung playback ng real format. if this is the case, try closing all the other programs bago mo sha panoorin. para malaman mo kung ito nga ang problema, kung may task manager ka, i launch mo iyon, tapos tsaka mo i-play yung file. pag madalas na nasa 100% ang cpu usage mo, ibig sabihin hindi kinakaya ng pc mo yung playback. pag codec problem naman, ireinstall mo yung codecs mo, o i check mo kung may codec na nag ii screw ng playback ng file.

btw, ano ba'ng specs ng pc mo?
  • necr0necr0 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    p-III 500 Mhz lang
    128 RAM
    Win98 SE
    DVD-Rom (forgot the speed though)

Cguro nga sa PC ko na problema... or baka sa data transfer between my DVD-Rom and the System.
    Originally posted by teppei

unti unting naiiwan yung video? hmm... malamang ang diperensya ay codec problems o baka hindi kaya ng pc mo yung playback ng real format. if this is the case, try closing all the other programs bago mo sha panoorin. para malaman mo kung ito nga ang problema, kung may task manager ka, i launch mo iyon, tapos tsaka mo i-play yung file. pag madalas na nasa 100% ang cpu usage mo, ibig sabihin hindi kinakaya ng pc mo yung playback. pag codec problem naman, ireinstall mo yung codecs mo, o i check mo kung may codec na nag ii screw ng playback ng file.

btw, ano ba'ng specs ng pc mo?