PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

Children's lit naman tayo

What's your favorite children story/book? Share them.

I am "deprived" of children's books when I was young. It was only when I went to college when I truly appreciated them, particularly when I took up a children's lit course. Now that I am a librarian, I make it a point to grab one and have a wonderful time reading it.
«13456710

Comments

  • bibliotekbibliotek KaLuguRan PExer
    Let us not be limited to fairy tales, ok? Picture books, coming of age books, Newberry and caldecott books. etc...

    Post kayo ha? :)
  • pro_temporepro_tempore nakikipaglibang PExer
    um, my favorite children's book has got to be the changeling by zilpha keatley snyder. snyder's also one of my fave children's book authors, got addicted to her green-sky trilogy for a good while :)

    i also recommend catwings by ursula le guin.

    and yes, hope for the flowers by trina paulus.

    The Philippine Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Guild
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phil_sf-and-f_writers/
  • bibliotekbibliotek KaLuguRan PExer
    Originally posted by pro_tempore
    um, my favorite children's book has got to be the changeling by zilpha keatley snyder. snyder's also one of my fave children's book authors, got addicted to her green-sky trilogy for a good while :)

    i also recommend catwings by ursula le guin.

    and yes, hope for the flowers by trina paulus.

    The Philippine Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Guild
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phil_sf-and-f_writers/

    Yes, I agree. Hope for the flowers is really nice.
  • pathosmelodypathosmelody Member PExer
    Gawd, I'm a children's book fanatic!

    My weekly therapy is raiding a Booksale branch and sifting and rummaging through all those titles for those precious Newbery titles. I know they're readily available at National, pero enjoy na enjoy ako whenever I find one sa Booksale at almost 1/4 the price! If I list all the children's book I've read and enjoyed e naku sobrang madami talaga.

    Some of the titles that come to mind are:

    The Little Prince
    E.B. White's Charlotte's Web
    Margery William's Velveteen Rabbit
    Judy Blume's Fudge Series
    Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
    Dear Mr. Henshaw, Are you there God? It's Me , Margaret and other titles by Judy Blume
    Ralph the Mouse series by Beverley Cleary
    Lois Lowry's Anastacia series and The Giver
    LOTR
    Madeleine L'Engles Wrinkle in Time Series, plus her books for older kids: House Like a Lotus, Arm of the Starfish etc..
    Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Headless Cupid
    Where The Red Fern Grows
    The sci-fi UNO series
    Jacob Two-Two, Bunnicula, Chocolate Touch, Fifth-Grade Magic
  • pathosmelodypathosmelody Member PExer
    Roald Dahl's Chocolate Factory, Perverse Rhymes, and the wickedly funny Mathilda

    Shel Silverstein's poetry for kids, The Missing Piece, The Missing Piece Meets the Big O, The Giving Tree (HOW COME SILVERSTEIN'S BOOKS ARE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE? Parang ginto ang presyo kakainis!)

    I've also read a book by one Pinoy Doctor (Luis Gatmaitan?) and it was very, very touching. ( the one about a disabled kid)
  • BabyFATSBabyFATS Every Body's Buddy PExer
    Originally posted by pathosmelody
    Some of the titles that come to mind are:

    The Little Prince
    E.B. White's Charlotte's Web
    Margery William's Velveteen Rabbit
    Judy Blume's Fudge Series
    Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
    Dear Mr. Henshaw, Are you there God? It's Me , Margaret and other titles by Judy Blume
    Ralph the Mouse series by Beverley Cleary
    Lois Lowry's Anastacia series and The Giver
    LOTR
    Madeleine L'Engles Wrinkle in Time Series, plus her books for older kids: House Like a Lotus, Arm of the Starfish etc..
    Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Headless Cupid
    Where The Red Fern Grows
    The sci-fi UNO series
    Jacob Two-Two, Bunnicula, Chocolate Touch, Fifth-Grade Magic
    I don't think LOTR qualifies as children's lit.
    Older people find it hard to understand as it is... I doubt if any kid would.

    Anyway, I like Hope for the Flowers and The Precious Present. :)
  • pathosmelodypathosmelody Member PExer
    I don't think LOTR qualifies as children's lit.

    Hmmm really? I've always considered LOTR as Children's lit since the series was geared for middle school-age kids. I read this in high school so for me at least it's part of Children's Lit.
  • BostsipBostsip Mark 11:24 PExer
    Check this thread out:

    Philippine Children's Literature - Writers and Illustators!

    LOTR is really not considered as Children's Lit. The Hobbit is, but LOTR is not.

    Incidentally, July is the National Children's Book Month. The PEx Book Club is planning a great discussion about the Philippine Children's Lit scene. Hope you could contribute some ideas :)
  • Misa HayaseMisa Hayase Member PExer
    I do not like them Sam I am, I do not like green eggs and ham! Uy, let's not forget Dr. Seuss books! :) I also like scouring Booksale for nice finds. I'm hoping to build a library for my future kids, hehehe.

    Other stuff I like but not mentioned... those books by Frances Hodgson Burnett... she who wrote "A Little Princess" and "The Secret Garden". I also liked "Pollyana", "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm", "Daddy Long Legs" and the Little Women series (kasi puro sequel diba) by Alcott.
  • indigo24indigo24 humor me PExer
    I liked Charlie and The Chocolate factory and Chronicles of Narnia.
  • bibliotekbibliotek KaLuguRan PExer
    Originally posted by pathosmelody
    Gawd, I'm a children's book fanatic!

    My weekly therapy is raiding a Booksale branch and sifting and rummaging through all those titles for those precious Newbery titles. I know they're readily available at National, pero enjoy na enjoy ako whenever I find one sa Booksale at almost 1/4 the price! If I list all the children's book I've read and enjoyed e naku sobrang madami talaga.

    Some of the titles that come to mind are:

    The Little Prince
    E.B. White's Charlotte's Web
    Margery William's Velveteen Rabbit
    Judy Blume's Fudge Series
    Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
    Dear Mr. Henshaw, Are you there God? It's Me , Margaret and other titles by Judy Blume
    Ralph the Mouse series by Beverley Cleary
    Lois Lowry's Anastacia series and The Giver
    LOTR
    Madeleine L'Engles Wrinkle in Time Series, plus her books for older kids: House Like a Lotus, Arm of the Starfish etc..
    Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Headless Cupid
    Where The Red Fern Grows
    The sci-fi UNO series
    Jacob Two-Two, Bunnicula, Chocolate Touch, Fifth-Grade Magic

    yes! naku, halos pareho tayo ng mga gusto ha. I also like Lois Lowry's The Gift...
    I love Booksale!!
  • rorsrors smash mo mukha mo :) PExer
    the chronicles of narnia

    showing na yung stage presentation ng first book, "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe."
  • eydrytheydryth Member PExer
    charlotte's web
    dr. seuss series
    baby
    bridge over terabithia
    a bargain for frances
    hans christien andersen
    help! i'm trapped in a... series
    madelaine l'engle's books

    :)
  • Si Pagong at si Matsing.
  • ninianeniniane serenity PExer
    some childhood favorites:

    el blanco: the legend of the white stallion by rutherford montgomery -

    magic elizabeth - a little girl visits her spinster aunt in a scary, dark house and finds a doll that supposedly has magic powers. very charming

    mary poppins by p.l. travers
  • ninianeniniane serenity PExer
    forgot these classics:

    heidi
    black beauty
    king arthur & the knights of the round table
    lassie
    books by enid blyton

    :bookworm2:
  • SoliduS_AlphASoliduS_AlphA Abusayafsucks! PExer
    Originally posted by MartinongKulugo
    Si Pagong at si Matsing.
    Di ba ang Ang munting gamu-gamo yun ?
    kasama ba dito yung kay Hans Christian Anderson?
  • Yung Munting Gamugamo, si Do?a Teodora (nanay niya) ang nagkuwento noon sa kaniya. Yung 'Si Pagong at si Matsing' naman, siya talaga ang gumawa. May mga piktyur pa nga siyang nai-drowing e.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I Member ✭✭✭
    my to read children's literature:

    1. CHARLIE BONE series
    2. THE EDGE CHRONICLES
    3. THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
  • Econ_majorEcon_major Working Fella PExer
    chronicles of narnia

    james and the giant peach, matilda, and charlie and the chocolate factory... roald dahl

    also... the secret garden
«13456710

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file