Home PEx Business and Careers The Entrepreneur's Corner

Advise | Career Shift to Entrepreneurship

MarkitzMarkitz PExer
edited March 2019 in The Entrepreneur's Corner
Thanks, I'll highly consider your offer.
By the way, I even applied for the USMLE. Can u give me advice on if I should pursue this or just have my residency here? I hear everybody saying that mahirap makapasok sa states.

Comments

• I've heard of so many stories like this and I even have one good friend who's exactly in the same shoes as Markitz.

I advised him to finish his subspecialty (in Emergency Medicine at st. Lukes's) before he venture into other fields which he really likes so at least he has a very good fall-back.

But the problem really is, my friend is getting impatient. We're already approaching our 30s :) and yet he feels he hasn't earned decent money from his practice (unlike the rest of his classmates who took up other professions...and also to think he's one of the smartest in our class). He thinks he's wasted the best years of his life on endless studying.

Is this the reality now in medicine? Is medical practice in the Philippines becoming too saturated?

My aunt's friend is also a dentist. But her clinic doesn't do well so she just thought of selling "tuyo" and "danggit", where now she earns a lot of moolah. She stopped her dental practice.

• I'm a fresh Medical Graduate from the PGH. My dilemma is if its better to pursue my career as a doctor (my parents forced me into it) or to go into a business na lang. You see, I have been a computer lover ever since grade school and I wanted to be a computer engineer. Problem is, my parents had other plans for me. If they can only see how much computer people make nowadays....
  • Of course don't give up your career as a doctor! Well, you can be a doctor and a business entrepreneur at the same time. If you wanna put up a business, have someone take charge of it if you're busy, at least a close family member.

In my case, I have a regular work as a government employee, and I'm also managing (part-time) an internet caf?. It's a family business but I was the one assigned to take charge of it. So what I do, after office work, I proceed to the caf?. Whenever I'm not around, my mom's secretary and my sister supervises the caf?.

Good luck!

Godspeed!
  • come to think of it, you've come a long way! 8 years of schooling down the drain? dont waste your education.

i suggest that you go into a non-emergency case field (like cosmetic surgery) so that you're not on duty most of the time. so during your free time, you can indulge in your business or be a web designer...

eh di ba ginagamit na ang computer sa pag retoke ng mukha? hehehe

good luck!
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I sympathize with you, I really do because after 6 years of training in the US and being triple board certified here with a pretty decent job, I still entertain thoughts of turning my back on medicine and doing something else. They are just thoughts though and at the end of the day, I continue to be a doctor.

My advice to you is this - go into a residency in PGH - something more benign if you don't want to toxify yourself - eg. dermatology or even internal medicine and then involve yourself with the medical informatics group there - I have a ton of classmates on the faculty there (batch 1992) and some of them are even involved with Medical Informatics - Nilo Santos in Physio and Eloy Marcelo is a friend (one batch ahead but co-Intarmed). I can endorse you to them if you'd like. Then if after 3 years of training you are really sure it's not for you, then go back to school and try for an MBA or an MS in Computer Science using your training as your work experience. That way, you complete your training as a hedge, you gain experience in computers especially as used in the health field (potentially lucrative in the Philippines down the road) you make your parents happy and you gain real world experience. Let me know if you need any more advice or help and I'll see what I can do.
  • Oh my my my!!! I know what you mean Markitz. I do have an older brother soon to be a doctor(I hope). He doesnt really like the course but our parents would like to have at least one doctor in the family. Thank Goodness!!! he pursue to that course or else I'll be the want taking it. Whew! My brother is also into computer he do webpages and design some graphics. He keep on saying it to me what if one day he doesn't really like to practice medicine. He told me once It is nice I was in the computer Industry. Gusto nga nya sa Computer eh.

All I can say to you guys is go on with your career and look for a time to enjoy yourself in other thing. Mind you can also be a doctor with the use of computer.
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Ditto what BU said.

Don't worry about the schooling you had to decide for you. A colleague finished his NS training, took the specialty boards and is now full-fledged consultant standing, but he opted not to practice because he was happier in a different field. But do try out a residency first. You may regret that you didn't pursue the more traditional residency programs down the road, and it's better that you try and find out it's not right for you rather than forever wonder about the what if's. If you find out you're not happy after a while, you can opt to go to medical informatics.
  • There are lots of dotcoms that require doctors, aren't there? Some examples:
    http://www.intelihealth.com/
    http://www.mayohealth.org/
    http://www.drkoop.com/
    http://www.americasdoctor.com/
    http://www.onhealth.com/
    http://www.adam.com/
    http://www.doctorgeorge.com/

But I think doctors still make so much more than IT professionals.

There are also lots of medical fields that are closely inter-related with computers diba? Like the hi-tech medical stuff you see on TV, the autopsy and research and lab stuff where they get to unearth all these medical secrets like on Discovery Channel?

:)

[This message has been edited by Anali (edited 07-26-2000).]
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    It is quite tough to get into the US for residency training in this day and age. And the USMLE now entails a skills part that has to be taken in the US so that means you should have the means and the visa to get here for that part. In addition, you will have to apply to several programs, go to the few interviews you will get - means staying around the US for a good 3 to 4 months. As you might surmise, this is also expensive - perhaps approaching $5000 for all the exams, the airfare, the applications (which are no longer free and have to be coursed through ECFMG), the cost of going to the different interviews, the cost of staying here, etc. If money is not an issue for you, it is still very tough to find a position here unless your USMLE scores are exceptional (80th percentile or higher).

Anali:

Making money as a doctor is very difficult in Manila - IT professionals earn much more than doctors do. And only a small percentage of doctors (maybe 5 to 10%) eventually end up making good money (eg. at least P2M per year). Medicine in the Philippines is really not a moneymaking proposition not when you have large companies like Ayala Corp and other multinationals paying middle managers P100 to P150,000 monthly with benefits.

• hi markitz..for me..do what really makes you happy....thats the bottomline of it....

i still have this txt msg with me ..it goes:

"do wat makes u happy..life is not based on the money u earn or d success uv achieved..its all bout being HAPPY wid who u r, who u with, with what u hav and wid what ur doin!"

just my two cents worth..good luck!
  • My heart bleeds for you.Oh decisions decisions!!
  • inaina PExer
    life gets complicated like that...
    find a compromise between the two.. but in the end do what makes you happy.. it's your life not your parents', diba?
    angel.gif
  • markitz,

nasimulan mo na...malapit na ang boards...you're an arm's stretch away...ituloy mo na!!!

atsaka think of your girlfriend!!! imagine 2 years away from her?!? lagot ka, baka maagawan ka!!!

ingat ka panget!!!
  • Guys i really need some advice. Im a second year college student college student in UP Manila taking up speech pathology. I was able to save a Php 10 K from my allowance since I was a freshie. My ninang also gave me 38 K which I can use to when I need to buy something.

I really want to start earning now because unlike my other classmates, we are not rich. As a matter of fact, we're experiencing a financial problem.

Im currently ito E-Loading Business but im only earning about 500-600 pesos a month which wont go really far. Im also into blogging but the traffic in my current events blog is not that high that's why it is still not giving me any money from ads.

I can work as a student assistant in UP but my schedule is too hectic. Its impossible for me to work as a student assistant and to study without getting low grades.

Do you guys have any idea how I can earn money? I really appreciate your help.
  • jong_deleonjong_deleon PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    For those who are involved in/ trying to consider MLMs, this is a must-read: http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10099&page=98
  • Guys i really need some advice. Im a second year college student college student in UP Manila taking up speech pathology. I was able to save a Php 10 K from my allowance since I was a freshie. My ninang also gave me 38 K which I can use to when I need to buy something.

I really want to start earning now because unlike my other classmates, we are not rich. As a matter of fact, we're experiencing a financial problem.

Im currently ito E-Loading Business but im only earning about 500-600 pesos a month which wont go really far. Im also into blogging but the traffic in my current events blog is not that high that's why it is still not giving me any money from ads.

I can work as a student assistant in UP but my schedule is too hectic. Its impossible for me to work as a student assistant and to study without getting low grades.

Hi there! I am also from UP Manila (PT). In fact, I recently visited CTS to meet with Sir Fer to propose a livelihood program for the parents of Autism Society of the Philippines.

Anyway, when I was in CAMP I earned money through sales. I frequented CATS Collectibles at La Salle University Mall to buy and sell comic books and Magic cards. On a good week I earn around P400-500, which at that time (years ago!) was good.

I am to go back to CAMP this August to meet with Sir Fer and the society members. If you like, we can meet and I'll help you sort through your interests and talents to give you an idea on what to do. Just send me your name and contact number and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, you can visit my company's website http://www.bizwizresources.com/ and watch our TV show (unfortunately, I am not one of the hosts!) SME Forum through Youtube. Here's the link to my favorite episode, Earning Money Through Your Talents. http://www.youtube.com/user/bizwizresources?blend=12&ob=5#p/u/7/fDUvuRIHvM4. And I suggest you ignore offers promising you quick wealth and other unbelievable stuff. All they are after is your money.

Currently, I am the marketing director of BizWiz Resources, a training company. I also manage my health product distribution biz (I supply doctors and dentists) and my maternity clinic.

I am excited to see a young entrepreneur in CAMP! If you have friends who are of similar mind, I can also meet them and we can perhaps brainstorm possibilities.

--

If you are interested in earning passive income while studying, you may become a dealer/member of green barley, it won't used up your time, but you would need to have the same entrepreneurial attitude like the business that you have now.

Please visit www.greenbarleysaves.com for the details
    If you would like to pursue this, just notify me (PM)

I am sure it will help you a lot. :)

regards,
    Dimes
  • I'm not going to be the best point of authority on this, but I suggest you focus on your studies.

Commercial distractions, unless they really are substantial, would detract from your academic responsibilities.

The easiest way to augment your income is to do buy and sell. But depending on what you are studying really requires a lot of time.

Education is not the only way to success but it does up the probabilities of getting there.

Do you know someone who is willing to do part time? Work the hours they want to? Be rewarded for their efforts?

Qualifications: 18 years and above, with or without an existing job, with internet at home.

Nature: Online and Offline Advertising

A 19 year old US based company that just expanded to the Philippines.

office located at Enterprise Bldg (HSBC) Ayala Ave Makati City

Incentives: Dollar incentives (range from $160 to $4000) and a chance to travel here and abroad.

Other details will be discussed in the office.

For orientation, kindly text your

Fullname<space>Age<space>work(if you have any)<space>preferred time(12nn, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm)<space>preferred day(mon-fri) and send to

• I'll throw in my 2 cents and suggest that you join an MLM business. For one thing, the cost of joining one is pretty low (less than P10k), so you still have some of your money left over to try out other businesses. And usually you only have to recruit two others to earn a bit of your money back, but of course if you recruit more, that's where the real money comes in. Of course you have to join an MLM that isn't some fly-by-night operation. Just believe in the product and you'll do well, with some perseverance. Of course I have an MLM company to recommend, it just started last July, so it's likely you're in the top 300 recruits, which means a lot of cash when it hits big. Check http://realhealthph.com/ if you're interested.