What's your stock market pick?!

cianoycianoy Vermicompost Bin Supplier PExer
I'd love to hear what stocks you guys are planning to buy. My stock picks for the year are Megaworld, SMDC, Meralco B, Musx, and possibly DGTL.

Comments

• batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I've always been a blue chip kind of guy when it comes to the Philippine market and prefer to put my money in companies with a proven track record and an excellent management team and in the country, that means:

Ayala Corp.
    Ayala Land
    BPI
    SM Prime
    Meralco and First Phil. Holdings

I actually just sold my position in ABS-CBN which may be fully valued at this time. If I had to pick one stock to buy now and hold for at least a year, it would be BPI.
  • cianoycianoy Vermicompost Bin Supplier PExer
    I would have to agree that BPI is a really good stock, but personally I would wait until I see the bottomline effect of its acquisition of FEB. If technically cheap, I would buy it with a 1-2 month investment horizon.

ABS is pricey right now. Good decision to sell.

I'd take a chance with property developers. These are the most battered stocks in the market
    Cianoy:

I think there's no question BPI will prosper because of 2 things: the merger with FEBTC which brings together 2 of the best run banks in the country and also with the 2 lowest NPL ratios and the entry of DBS bank which makes BPI the bank most likely to be able to successfully expand regionally. Metrobank has desperately tried to become bigger but the aquisition of Solidbank looks like a bigger for bigness sake move.

While the property counters are undervalued at this time, it may be premature to buy them and I have a problem with all these smaller companies - they may be good for a quick buck in the short term (with the attendant risks of course) but they have bad fundamentals including a huge amount of loans which have been difficult to service, and questionable management teams. Aside from ALI and SM Prime, these are speculatives through and through. C&P is a perfect example - much of its land bank is subject to multiple titles and claims and counter claims and it is saddled with loads of debt which it cannot repay at least not at the present time. The others are worse off and for the time being will be nothing more than niche players in relation to the big boys. ALI may be fully valued from a P/E point of view but is clearly a bargain when you look at the share price in relation to NAV which is probably the more correct way of valuing real estate companies.
    AC not only has BPI and ALI - traditionally their breadwinners - but also a surging PF and Globe. And then there's this joint venture with Lycos and SingTel to develop a top flight internet portal for the Philippines and you can see why I think this is a promising stock.

[This message has been edited by batang uliran (edited 01-01-2000).]
    Strategically, BPI has been making all the right moves. MBT has been making the acquisitions just to reclaim its number one spot in terms of size. Still I believe that we can only see the benefits of a merger trickle down to the bottom line after about a year, or when the operational merger is completed. That's the only reason why I would like to wait for 1Q2000 figures. I would cite PLDT as an example. It has always been a viable business, but because of the large write-offs this year, its profit figures suffered. Investors know its just a restructuring, but they sold it down anyway. I believe investors are a fickle lot, and will dispose of a stock even if it remains an excellent investment in the long run.

It's been said that there's a two-year lag in the recovery of the property sector vis-a-vis the general economy. Well this is the first slump I've seen so I wouldn't know any better. Still, I would place my bet on a company that registered profit growth and positive operating cashflows in a year when a lot of companies are just thankful to survive. And that's Megaworld. No I don't go for C&P as well. Truth is, C&P was an attractive technical buy at P0.48. It was terribly oversold. Yet I passed it up anyway, because I wasn't confident about its long term prospects. FLI and FDC were my favorite stocks in 1997. Now I still like them but I'm hesitant because FLI had negative cashflows for 1999. As an investor, I think cashflows are the most crucial figures.

[This message has been edited by cianoy (edited 01-02-2000).]
  • kioskkiosk Member PExer
    San Miguel
  • DobboDobbo Member PExer
    Definitely BPI has some growth potential if they can move quickly to take advantage of FEBTC's assets and prevent MBTC from mounting a comeback. I would want to see some major announcements in 1Q in this regard.

:D
    A. Dobbo
    Dobbo:

The key to the success of the BPI-FEBTC merger is not in the fact that the combined entity now becomes the biggest bank in the country nor is it in preventing MBTC from "mounting a comeback." It is a good one because it combines two well managed banks which are both profitable and with the entry of both DBS and Sakura Bank into the merged bank, it will soon have a regional presence. The name of the game is not who is the biggest bank (which is a goal Metro pursues no matter what) but which bank is the most financially sound, has the lowest NPL ratio and is the most profitable overall. Taking these factors into account, I think BPI-FEBTC is a powerhouse. I don't think anyone believes for one second that if MBTC and Solidbank eventually merge and regains for Metro the total assets title, that Metro then becomes the more attractive bank for investors in the short and long term.

[This message has been edited by batang uliran (edited 01-08-2000).]
    Quite true BU. It's actually a turn-off when I hear that MBT is planning to acquire another bank after Solidbank. I think MBT should concentrate on its present acquisitions first. Acquisition shouldn't be the end, but the start.
    For SMC true believers, now is a good time to accumulate the stock. SMC has an excellent strategy for the coming years. No more lethargic giant company.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Before this thread proceeds any further, I will have to make this disclaimer:

Any investment advice originating from this thread are purely the opinions of the people making the posts. If you make an investment decision based on the information from this forum, you do so at your own risk. We will not be liable for any losses you may sustain in this turbulent investment marketplace. If in doubt, consult a competent financial professional.

Should you become an instant millionaire, we will not demand a percentage of your profits. However, we won't mind if you bought us coffee, lunch, or even dinner. ;)
  • doinkdoink Member PExer
    how do u pick stocks ba and what do u look at ?
  • kraitkrait Member PExer
    PhilWeb ... hehehe
  • angelicDAWangelicDAW Member PExer
    merb, ali, absp, dgtl
  • DAILODAILO Member PExer
    Originally posted by angelicDAW:
    merb, ali, absp, dgtl

WELCOME angelicDAW! :D :D :D would you like to join us in HOT TIPS: Greed is Good. I would other brokers to join in and post.. Perhaps we can make several different forums.

WELCOME !

• janah_039janah_039 Member PExer
    Hello po, Janah here.. Kung gusto niyo po malaman about investment such as mutual fund, stocks, bonds, etc., I’m inviting u 2 attend our IMG-FREE Wealth Academy Program. Free po naming binibigay to at mga Professional Financial Advisers po ang mga nagcoconduct ng training.. Malalaman niu po lahat dito ang mga sekreto ng bangko at mga insurance company. By the way, Bro. Bo Sanchez is one of our Marketing Directors here and Mr. Rex Mendoza too. Pwede po kayo maging licensed broker sa sarili niyo na hindi na niu kailangan pa ng middleman if u are into investments or insurance... Mgkakadirect access na po kayo sa mga blue chip companies na affiliated po sa amin at maganda pa dun eh kayo mismo ang magmamanage at mamomonitor niyo pa ang sarili niyong pera. Be a licensed broker on your own savings.

May 15, 2pm
    May 17, 7pm
    May 19, 7pm
    @ 3rd Flr. King’s Court Bldg. Bldg., Pasong Tamo, Makati City

TOPICS:
    Series 1 FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS TODAY
    6 Steps to Financial Independence
    How Money Works
    The Wealth 4mula
    How 2 Build a Solid Financial Foundation

Series 2 FINANCE & INVESTMENT 101
    Diff. Investment Vehicles & Strategies
    How 2 Bypass the Middleman &
    Become Your Own Financial Adviser & Broker
    Mutual Funds, Diversification, Money Cost Averaging, etc

Series 3 CREATING MULTIPLE PASSIVE INCOME STREAMS
    The Diff Sources of Passive Income
    How 2 Create Passive Income Streams
    New Concepts in Making Good Money

NOTE: CERTIFICATES WILL B GIVEN ON SERIES 4

Here's an outline of the series:

Series 1: Money Management Strategies
    Series 2: Finance and Investment 101
    Series 3: Creating Multiple Passive Income Streams
    Series 4: Upstart School (Compensation, Promotion Guidelines, & System)
    Series 5: Train The Trainees - Business Format System

Series 6: General Concepts of Investment and Insurance
    Series 7: The Do-It-Yourself Financial Check-up
    Series 8: Builder's Mindset - Achieving Enduring and Lasting Success
    Series 9: Building Multiple Outlets Business
    Series 10: Distinctions in the Mind of Winners vs Losers
    Series 11: Winning BIG in Life

Series 12: The Spiritual Side of Money
    Series 13: What It Takes To Be Great
    Series 14: The Winning Principles
    Series 15: The Holy Use of Money (by Fr. Philip Bersabe)
    Series 16: Estate Planning (by Atty. Tina Navarro)
    Series 17: Financial Check-up and Review Workshop
    Series 18: Health Management
    Series 19: Developing Your Best Product = YOU
    Series 20: Train The Trainers

*S1, S2, S3, S8, S10, and S12 are open to all, even to non-members.

**Series 1 & 2 are now incorporated in:
    1) Couples For Christ (CFC) program for its members
    2) Bo Sanchez's Financial Coaching Program

Our Current List of Product Providers are as follows:

Real Estate:

AyalaLand - the biggest RE developer in the Phils.

CrownAsia - sister company of Camella & Brittany
    DMCI

Mutual Funds:

Philequity Mngt, Inc. (PEMI) - #1 Stock/ Equity Fund in the Phils.
    First Metro Asset Mngt, Inc. (FAMI) - MF of Metrobank Group
    Philam Asset Mngt, Inc. (PAMI)
    United Fund, Inc.
    Prudentialife Optima Funds
    MAA

Life Insurance:

Cocolife
    Grepalife

Non-Life Insurance:

Malayan Insurance - biggest NL insurance company in the Phils.
    Malaysian Assurance Alliance (MAA) - one of the biggest in Malaysia
    UCPB Gen

Short-term Healthcare:

Kaiser International Healthgroup, Inc.
    MediCard Phils.
    Cocolife
    Intellicare

Long-term Healthcare:

Kaiser International Healthgroup, Inc.

As IMG brokers, WE all have three (3) Opportunities:

1) Financial Literacy: we have the opportunity to master financial management & investments, become our own financial adviser, and not rely on others to plan for our financial future.

"Money without financial intelligence is money soon gone."
    - Robert Kiyosaki

2) Bypass the Middleman: while we become more financially literate, we also have the opportunity to gain direct access to the financial industry by becoming our own broker. Whatever financial product we need, we buy from ourselves and get the commissions.

"Bypassing the middleman is one of the greatest secrets of the rich...They just let their money go around, and never go through a middleman."

and lastly,

3) Entrepreneurship: we also have the opportunity to increase our cash flow by building our own brokerage business in the biggest industry in the world---the Financial Industry. And in the process, we have the opportunity to educate more people and help change people's lives.

"Never rely on a single source of income."
    - Warren Buffet, the world's greatest investor & one of the richest men

Our Mission: No Family Left Behind.
    Our Vision: To Lead and Dominate the Financial Industry.

just email me @ [email protected] or text me @ 09105013342
    for early reservations. Visit us in http://www.img-corp.com

Thanks and God bless.
  • chubby_cchubby_c Member PExer
    Judging from recent economic events, I think it's nice to look at the new administration's plans and ties. From what i gather, AC has closer ties with the Aquinos than SM. Government too is planning on a 5%-of-GDP infrastructure program that could boost the incomes of real estate and investment companies like MEG, MWC, FMIC, EEI, AP, and such. In this case, ALI will have an advantage over SMDC. Not to mention also that MWC has expanded its operations in Australia. But of course, one has to wonder where SMCB has placed itself in all this political and business mumbo jumbo. Hello po, Mr. C. :) With this line of thinking and P5k in my account, I opted for a long-term bet and bought AP and MWC shares (both in the utilities industry).

Any suggestions from you guys?
  • la_flashla_flash Banned by Admin PExer
    JGS is on a roll lately. I honestly regret that I sold my JGS stocks before (though I've made significant gains here). The current stock price of 12 was my target price.

Really, it's Greed vs. Fear.

FGEN is also hot. Will it be able to sustain the momentum? Or will it disappoint many of us.
  • jltjlt Member PExer
    I pick BPC.

2ypaxhx.jpg

• metropolitanmetropolitan the truth hurts, does it? PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    malakas ang vibes ko sa EDC and URC.
  • panggopanggo Member PExer
    Invest in alternative energy! save the planet and make money :) invest also in communications :)

well it's really a hell of a job to check out all stocks and monitor activites..

i'd still go with mutual funds. :) if you are disiplined, have a good set of goals and a time frame and determined to achieve them, you'll get those investment goals :)

i have emails i collected from the net and from lectures i have attended. email me at [email protected] if your interested. or add me in facebook.. chat tayo.. i'd love to share ideas :)

i also know lectures in metro manila and i think in ilo ilo and naga that could enlighten you on the matter, just pay for the handouts.. which wont cost you more than 20pesos :) really worth it :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file