Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino

Finance for Tekkies

zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
These are some finance words I deal with in my techie life... Gem I'm sure you love these :)

capex
EBITDA
P&L
depreciation

any more?

Comments

• Those are actually accounting terms...

finance terms are more like

NPV
    FPV
    IRR
    ROI

etc... :)
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sorry folks, finance and accounting are the same to me!

You'd probably think routing and switching are the same :)

[This message has been edited by zimdude (edited 06-12-2000).]
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    zimdude, IMO it is much easier for tekkies to understand finance than it is for finance guys to understand tech.

Now, does anyone here care to define the acronyms above, for everyone's education?
  • finance deals basically in maximizing wealth ... on how to choose what is more profitable...

accounting is basically more of giving you information.. and the traditional point of view is to give accounting information - the usual debit / credit, trial balance, financial statements...

however, due to size... finance/accounting are taken as one in most philippine companies, worst... admin is thrown in the same department
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I actually use MS Excel sometimes! But I have to admit, even as I have to learn these things, it's not really my type :(
  • Well, you're forgetting very important terms for VC's or incubators...

equity
    securities
    preferred stocks
    common stocks
    antidilution protection
    valuation
    "burn rate"

hmmm, hate numbers but i really don't have a choice:(
  • Actually, to be a really good programmer, you should possess good business knowledge, whether in finance, manufacturing, etc. You should also have good problem-solving skills to be able to make good programs (that will do the job in an efficient manner). I've seen people doing programs on financial functions but do not know how to make a costing model or know financial terms.
  • My hats-off to programmers who make financial programs and models. They integrate knowledge on 2 of the most challenging fields I have ever encountered: Finance and I.T./Software Development.

Must be a real brain.