Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Has anybody seen Crouching Tiger? Reviews please.

Comments

• In the US, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will not be shown until December. It was viewed, however, at the Toronto International Film Festival, where it was given the People's Choice award.

You might want to check out the site at www.crouchingtiger.com .
  • YEAH BOY! papalabas na rin dito ang Crouching Tiger sa Sept 27! cant wait! cant wait! cant wait!
  • September 27?!!! Dito sa Metro Manila?!!! I hope you're talking about Metro Manila...
  • oo nah..inggit na ako...december pa dito..tapos uuwi naman ako sa december..wala na sa manila non...huhuhuhu crying.gif

/me is so green with envy!!!
  • FILM: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

GENRE: Kung-Fu Film (Ang Lee Style)

STARS: steel nerved Chow Yun Fat, gracefully aging Michelle Yeoh, pretty young thing Zhang Zi Yi, silent watery Chang Chen and Ang Lee's superb direction

BOTTOM LINE: from the same guy who brought you Sense and Sensibility and The Ice Storm... great fight scenes, great story... a movie worthy of your time... if you can handle sub titles... this ain't no chop-socky film!

GRADE: 4.3 out of 5...
  • Its more of an artsy movie rather than a kung fu movie, but i really liked it! One of the best movies ive seen so far....its more of a love story than an action movie, but the fight scenes are awesome ala Matrix! Plus Zhang Ziyi is a chick!
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a wonderful, wonderful film! Even if it seems to be packaged as a classic Chinese martial arts movie (with all the high-flying action), there remains a degree of realism to it. The characters are well-written and the cinematography's great! The end effect is very romantic, nostalgic even. The sub-titles may be a bit tedious to read though, but it's definitely worth watching. I give it two thumbs up.
  • *bump*

showing na kasi sa Pilipinas... manood na kayo!!! maganda ang pelikula na 'to!
  • Yah, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is in Manila theaters na. Parang maganda nga, I'll catch it this weekend.
  • tRiStAntRiStAn PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Some might not appreciate the martial arts in the film, what with all the gravity-defying stunts. But there's something distinctly Ang Lee-ish about it. If you've seen Sense and Sensibility, you know what I'm talking about.
  • add the Ice Storm, too :)
  • i think all Ang Lee films have similiar themes.. repression, alienation... one can even see traces of The Wedding Banquet in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...

about the gravity-defying stunts... hehehe! yeh the one i was with kept asking why the characters could "fly" :lol: ... i guess one has to look at this film like a medieval epic... you know- where anything can happen... besides, ninjas are said to move that way... it ain't "flying"- they're just "gliding"

this is the best homage to the kung-fu film i have ever seen... maybe that's why i enjoyed it so much...

oh yah.. the version being shown in the Philippines is dubbed in English... sayang for those who'll be seeing it for the first time coz i think the characters speaking in Mandarin (local accent pa!) was one of the things that made this film so great...
  • tagal namang magshowing dito :(

i hope its good 'cause i'm looking forward to watching that film :D:D:D
  • MoiraineMoiraine PEx Rookie ⭐
    I love everything about this movie: the characters (actors who portrayed them too), the effects, the fight scenes, the romantic angle, WOW.

waffledish I agree with the dubbed bit, though I like the convenience of hearing english and not having to read, I do hope that I get to see it someday in its original Mandarin version (with subtitles of course).
  • I've had to watch it two times in the Mandarin format to really understand it, but it was really worth it! Best movie i've seen so far! Me and my friends really debated about the ending of the movie.

I think she did what she did in the end coz she valued her freedom more than her relationship than Lo. :)
  • NoisyCricketNoisyCricket PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I loved the fights scenes. *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER*

But I expected a happy ending.

This one is not a love story, it's a TRAGEDY. As usual, the honest, noble characters get royally screwed, and the thing I hate about it the most is that the story revolves around one selfish little girl who is extremely talented but extremely STUPID. Never mind the fact that she destroys all FOUR of the main characters lives, is really bratty about keeping a sword, has a HAG for a mentor, abandons her family, and by the end of the movie finally realizes she's not worthy of even being alive.

What does she want ba? She wants skill but is not willing to accept training. She wants power but not responsibility. She wants love, but runs away from it, and then comes running back to try to salvage it, in the process betraying her mentor, abusing the friendship of a sister, and disowning her family. BRAT.

Otherwise, Chow Yun Fat is excellent as Li Mu Bai, and Michelle Yeoh as Yui Hsui Lien. :D

I expected Chang Chen to be the main villain. Hindi pala. Although I like the subplots about honor, sexual discrimination, and irony when **** dies of the same poison that killed *** *******.

Nonetheless, I still walked out of the movie very very disturbed...

• *SPOILER ALERT*

yeh.. Zhang Zi Yi was a brat... and i think that's why she jumped in the end- to make up for her selfishness.. she wanted the wishes of the people she cared about to come true na lang kaya she jumped... remember that story sa desert?

galing ni Michelle Yeoh... i think that was the first time she actually did some acting... :~(
  • ganda ni Zhang Zi Yi!

TD25.jpg

Wonderful movie!!! great cast!!! It has great fight scenes(gliding:lol:..what can you expect, its a chinese movie...in chinese legends, everything is possible!!!), great story line, superb settings, good musical score. All in all, drama,action and comedy all in one film. I highly recommend it to all martial arts fanatics out there.
  • i liked the action scenes. super.

pero yung storyline.... :confused: ...basta, di ko type. feeling ko flimsy yung storyline. romantic as romantic can get, pero flimsy. maganda pa naman yung pagkagawa ng film.

would i watch it again? yung fight scenes lang siguro. parang di worth it yung storyline eh.
  • NoisyCricketNoisyCricket PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    AH BASTA NAMATAY NA RIN SILANG LAHAT.. ANAK NG @#$%%! ANONG KLASENG LOVE STORY YAN!!!