The MATH Thread | Realm of Thought | PinoyExchange

X

The MATH Thread

How to get better at Math?

For now, to supplement my online programming course, I took an online algebra course at Edx which is not part of the curriculum. I am also taking some baby steps in Calculus. My aim is to master foundational concepts so that I could tackle Discrete Mathematics, a type of Math that requires proving. I don't know yet how proving is connected to Computer Science. I am still thinking though if I have to get into a real university. I feel I learn much deeper in online lectures since I can repeat it again and again.

Here are fun problems:

A lily pad grows twice its size everyday. In 48 days, it filled an entire lake. How long would it take to cover half the lake?

I want to buy a shirt that costs P970. I asked P500 from mom, and P500 from dad. I finally bought the shirt and got a change of P30. I sent P10 to mom, and P10 to dad, and got P10 for myself. Therefore, I owe mom P490, I owe dad P490, a total of P980. Since I got P10, where is the other P10?

Hint: the problem above is more accounting than algebra. You can get it in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by crocopie View Post

[video=youtube;M7febmLhS6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7febmLhS6E

For now, to supplement my online programming course, I took an online algebra course at Edx which is not part of the curriculum. I am also taking some baby steps in Calculus. My aim is to master foundational concepts so that I could tackle Discrete Mathematics, a type of Math that requires proving. I don't know yet how proving is connected to Computer Science. I am still thinking though if I have to get into a real university. I feel I learn much deeper in online lectures since I can repeat it again and again.

Here are fun problems:

A lily pad grows twice its size everyday. In 48 days, it filled an entire lake. How long would it take to cover half the lake?

I want to buy a shirt that costs P970. I asked P500 from mom, and P500 from dad. I finally bought the shirt and got a change of P30. I sent P10 to mom, and P10 to dad, and got P10 for myself. Therefore, I owe mom P490, I owe dad P490, a total of P980. Since I got P10, where is the other P10?

Hint: the problem above is more accounting than algebra. You can get it in no time.
    The lily filled half of the lake on the 47th day.

There is no missing P10.

Assets = Liabilities

Assets:
    P970 - worth of shirt
    P10 - cash
    -----
    P980

Liabilities:
    P490 - dad
    P490 - mom
    -------
    P980

Quote Originally Posted by Ateo View Post
    The lily filled half of the lake on the 47th day.
    very smart!

I just watched Gilbert Strang's first video lecture on Calculus. Magulo pa para sa akin, but the main takeaway for me is this:

The Derivative is the slope of a graph. The Integral is the area covered under a graph. What they do is measure changes that would take us from one function to the other.

Distance is the Integral of Velocity times Time because of the area covered under the graph. At constant speed it is one horizontal line.

Velocity is the derivative of Distance because if you measure the slope by dividing change of Distance by change of time, you get the velocity.

Yun muna..

Quote Originally Posted by Ateo View Post
    There is no missing P10.

Assets = Liabilities

Assets:
    P970 - worth of shirt
    P10 - cash
    -----
    P980

Liabilities:
    P490 - dad
    P490 - mom
    -------
    P980
    dominic ikaw ba yan?

kids stuff...

test:

I have a pen,
    I have an apple

Answer: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagon View Post
    kids stuff...

test:

I have a pen,
    I have an apple

Answer: ?
    you draw a face on the apple. hey thats what kids would do!

Quote Originally Posted by sophion View Post
    you draw a face on the apple. hey thats what kids would do!

"nyeheehhe, hey apple!"

If you would like to brush up your foundational algebra, this is a good site to start:

https://www.edx.org/course/college-a...g-asux-mat117x

It's a good start. Not too threatening yet very very vast. I suggest to get a notebook. And a cheat sheet, which you can get here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/A...heat_Sheet.pdf

I also found a short trig course here:

http://www2.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/

Quote Originally Posted by crocopie View Post

[video=youtube;M7febmLhS6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7febmLhS6E

Here are fun problems:

First is an Exponential growth and decay problem..

Lastly, I love calculus also. Wait until you get to Calculus 2. That's where the fun starts.

if you Prove that 2 + 2 = 5 in 3 lines or less,

di na ako tatambay sa rot.

Repent you savages! Repent! ach_choo's Avatar
    They say a family is well-off financially if annual tuition fees don't exceed 100% of monthly gross income. Things get difficult if it touches 200%.

Given that tuition fees go up at a VERY different rate from monthly gross income, how will the mathematical model look?