to be honest, this is how i go through resumes of new graduates. if at any one step, the resume does not match the criteria, i junk the resume and the person does not get a call for an interview :
1) read cover letter - needs to grab me
2) good school? good school reputation?
3) check major - fit for the job?
4) check school activities - look for leadership roles and achievements (most important, actually)
5) good grades? (the least of my concerns, actually)
for interviews ---- looking for the following :
2) verbal communication skills - communicating his/her ideas, persuasiveness, correct grammar a must
3) quality of ideas and opinions (important!)
4) ability to handle pressure - i ask tough questions
5) being late for the interview and not dressing well for the interview is an automatic delete!