The Culinary Capital of the Philippines is? | Food and Drinks | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... Last

The Culinary Capital of the Philippines is?

Saan nga ba?

agree?

thanks mods for lifting the blanket for new threads.

can you transfer our post at the Home and Gardens and delete the similar thread? it shouldnt be in that forum.

I'm not too surprised anymore. People say that anyway and there seems to be no competition at all...

Bat parang hina highlight nila si atching Lillian Borromeo sa mga TV shows ginagawang ambassador ngf Pampanga

Quote Originally Posted by LJ_McKanas View Post
    I'm not too surprised anymore. People say that anyway and there seems to be no competition at all...
    im more inclined with Bulaceano cusine. the only reason Kapampangan cusine is more popular is because it did not stagnate and evolved.

^^That's what my aunt-in-law also says. She's a nutritionist from Bulacan.

I find the Tagalog cuisine more on the sweet side and I haven't tried Kapampangan cuisine.

There is. Metro Manila.

^ MM is the dining capital of the Phlippines. wala gaanong identity ang lutong Manila except for the dishes from Tondo and Binondo.

did you know Bicol Express was concocted in Manila?

true, bicol express was originally created as a hot sauce alternative, an additive to laing. first served in ang hang restaurant in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta lick it View Post
    ^ MM is the dining capital of the Phlippines. wala gaanong identity ang lutong Manila except for the dishes from Tondo and Binondo.

did you know Bicol Express was concocted in Manila?
    much like dialects, different parts of metro manila have distinct cuisines. taguig pateros vave their own. old makati has one. sta ana dos too. malabon-navotas have theirs.

in fact metro manila have more diversity than pampanga.

Pampanga ang culinary capital definitely wish ko mag food trip dyan. Next culinary capital ang Bulacan. Too bad lang dying yung ibang native dishes dahil walang interesado sa present generation lalo kugn tedious ang cooking process. May attempt na i-preserve ang mga pagkaing ito but I don't know kung uusad maging batas.

Repent you savages! Repent! ach_choo's Avatar
    How the hell did pampanga become the culinary capital? i mean, i've been there often enough, and the cooking is good. but it's not unique from other places. batangas, laguna, the ilocos provinces also have strong traditions for really hearty meals.

Quote Originally Posted by ka_deniz View Post
    true, bicol express was originally created as a hot sauce alternative, an additive to laing. first served in ang hang restaurant in the mid 80's.
    Source please. We've always known Bicol Express as a delicacy common among Bicolano households.

barkada ng nanay ko ang may ari ng ang hang. and i grew up watching them cook.

the original recipe for bicol express calls for three kinds of chilis, coconut milk, coconut cream, garlic, ginger, onions, bagoong, little pork fat, and nothing else. the term bicol express was coined there. what is served in bicolano household (with different vegetables) had a different name in the 70's, and it was served as a viand. bicol express is not a viand. hindi ito ulam. pampaanghang ng luto sa gata para sa mga hindi kayang kumain ng masyadong maanghang.

i really couldn't care less if you don't know sh!t. but to answer your question, doreen fernandez.
    Last edited by ka_deniz; Feb 1, 2017 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ach_choo View Post
    How the hell did pampanga become the culinary capital? i mean, i've been there often enough, and the cooking is good. but it's not unique from other places. batangas, laguna, the ilocos provinces also have strong traditions for really hearty meals.
    originally there was very little difference between capampangan and bulakena cuisine. mas subtle lang ang bulakena cuisine. they share borders and culture and border crossing between the provinces was common. the difference widened when pmpanga started planting sugar cane and there was a boom in the world market for sugar. pampanga became affluent and started hosting foreigners as guests. naturally cooks began adopting recipes and the cuisine evolved. then the american bases was established in the province. so foreign influence continued.

but those days are over. metro manila's food scene is now more dynamic.

another one to watch is cdo.

much like dialects, different parts of metro manila have distinct cuisines. taguig pateros vave their own. old makati has one. sta ana dos too. malabon-navotas have theirs.

in fact metro manila have more diversity than pampanga.
    most of the distinct dishes in MM are pastries. the real meals can be found at Binondo and Tondo.

Quote Originally Posted by etxetera View Post
    Pampanga ang culinary capital definitely wish ko mag food trip dyan. Next culinary capital ang Bulacan. Too bad lang dying yung ibang native dishes dahil walang interesado sa present generation lalo kugn tedious ang cooking process. May attempt na i-preserve ang mga pagkaing ito but I don't know kung uusad maging batas.
    Kapampangan cuisine is still strong. Bulakeyno cuisine is fast dying. Bulacan is losing this agricultural lands which is the source of their distinct dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ach_choo View Post
    ilocos 2nd runner up but #1 in creativity.

if you would count the numbers of Kapampangan dishes it is equivalent to the combined number of dishes from batanggas, laguna, at ilocos.

Source please. We've always known Bicol Express as a delicacy common among Bicolano households.
    hay naku ........ millennials talaga. wala kasi iyan sa history books.

the original recipe for bicol express calls for three kinds of chilis, coconut milk, coconut cream, garlic, ginger, onions, bagoong, little pork fat, and nothing else. the term bicol express was coined there. what is served in bicolano household (with different vegetables) had a different name in the 70's, and it was served as a viand. bicol express is not a viand. hindi ito ulam. pampaanghang ng luto sa gata para sa mga hindi kayang kumain ng masyadong maanghang.

i really couldn't care less if you don't know sh!t. but to answer your question, doreen fernandez.
    sir .......

let us keep out the toilet from the dining room and kitchen. tama na ang maanghang na salita sa F&B. it is one of the reasons this forum lost a lot of regular pexers.

originally there was very little difference between capampangan and bulakena cuisine. mas subtle lang ang bulakena cuisine. they share borders and culture and border crossing between the provinces was common. the difference widened when pmpanga started planting sugar cane and there was a boom in the world market for sugar. pampanga became affluent and started hosting foreigners as guests. naturally cooks began adopting recipes and the cuisine evolved. then the american bases was established in the province. so foreign influence continued.

but those days are over. metro manila's food scene is now more dynamic.
    bulakeyno cuisine has less lard but sweeter.

good point. Pampanga has a port just like Bulacan and Manila. the presence of foreigners may have spurred the creativity and the number of their dishes. there is an old say, "...... good food for your money." they may have even learned curing cold cuts from foreigners. they also have wide agricultural areas except for MM. maybe that is the reason most distinct dishes in MM are pastries.

Metro Manila dining scene is very very dynamic because of its economic strength. it is all about the buying power. it is the epicenter of foreign dishes in the Philippines but if we would consider Filipino cuisine, MM never evolved. actually, provincial cuisines are well entrenched in MM.

wala kang maririnig na tao nagyaya kumain ng soup#5 sa Tondo, black duck soup in Escolta or even roasted duck in Binondo.

Read this: http://www.marketmanila.com/archives...-bicol-express where it was concluded by mere inference that Bicol Express might have been invented by a certain Cecilia Kalaw in the 1960s...

...but read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicol_Express where a certain Solita Kalaw edited the wikipedia page to say that "The Philippine Cookbook (Virginia Roces de Guzmán and Nina Daza Puyat) states that the dish was invented by Cecilia Kalaw during the 1960s. However, it was actually Demetrio ' Etring ' Kalaw who introduced the dish in Manila. Demetrio married a Milagros Estrada from Iriga City, Camarines Sur. While living in Iriga City, Demetrio was introduced to the dishes indigenous to the region. Later on, he and Milagros opened a small restaurant in Malate where Bicol Express and other dishes were served buffet style. This small eatery became a success and was called 'The GROVE'. later on, Demetrio's sister, Cecilia Kalaw, opened another branch in Makati. the Makati branch was managed by Cecilia and her mother, Maria Kalaw." (taken verbatim; emphases supplied).

Note that the operative word there is "introduced" and not invented as the cookbook mentioned. And take note also of the comment by Solita Kalaw where she mentioned that she is the daughter of Demetrio Kalaw.

Bicol Express is not just a pampaanghang; it is an ulam. If you go around Bicol, you will meet Bicolanos who know how to cook Bicol Express because it was passed on to them by their parents who, in turn, got the recipe and the style of cooking from their own parents. My mom herself knows how to cook Bicol Express, which she learned from her parents.

There are many variations of Bicol Express, which is locally known here in Bicol as "gulay na lada" because each family does not only have its own version but they actually use whatever ingredients available in their kitchen but the style of cooking and the usual ingredients are all the same.

It was not invented in the 1980s, it was invented long, long before.

Here in Bicol, we are fond of cooking our vegetables in coconut milk. And we often have such viands many times in a week. This evening, for instance, I just had gulay na papaya cooked in coconut milk or ginataang papaya for dinner. It's very common here in Bicol.

As to how people thought that it's some invention in some Manila-based restaurant, I don't know, but what I would like to say is that, you have to go visit someone here in Bicol to discover why dishes cooked in gata and chili are associated with Bicol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... Last