PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: TNT Boots Ginebra From Playoffs

Jayson Castro tallied 23 points and 5 assists to power TNT past Ginebra, 83-67. Check out our complete gallery here!

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

FEATURE: Philippine Cup Semis Preview

It's the Aces against the E-Painters and SMB versus TNT. Read on as JPM previews and predicts the outcome of the Fil Cup semis.

read more

TRAVEL: Ilocos: Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud

PExer mikedph shares everything you need to know about an Ilocos trip that includes photos around Vigan, Laoag and Pagudpud.

read more

REVIEW: This is Where I Leave You

Family dramedy This Is Where I Leave You graces the screens this week. Is this movie worth checking out? Find out here!

read more

FEATURE: On Former Teammates and Rivals

PEx's guest contributor Michele Gumabao talks about her ex-teammates and ex-rivals in the UAAP and the pros.

read more

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
    certified traveholic :p sentiments's Avatar

Post [MERGED] Vitamin E

Just want to make a survey kung ano'ng mga magagandang inumin na vitamins para sa skin bukod sa Squibb-E. How about Imedeen? is it better than squibb-E

Kasi before i was taking a vitamin-e from kirkland (my mom bought it for me from a PX store). Mga two years ko ring ininum yun when later on i learned synthetic pala yun. So i stopped taking it for fear that it might not be good for me. I want to try myra300-E(para mas cheaper sa squibb-e) kaso synthetic din daw kaya na-turn off ako.

Any suggestions? Or do you want to share kung ano man iniinum nyo for your skin?

sentiments--

i've heard people say that vit E is really good for the skin, but i hear it's even better if you take the natural kind which contains d-alpha tocopherol or d-alpha tocopheryl. most vit. Es on the market seem to be made of the synthetic form which is dl-alpha tocopherol/tocopheryl.

as for me multivitamins ang tini-take ko para completo.

Question VITAMIN E : correct dosage?

To all doctors in the house n peeps na may alam:

I'm planning to take Vitamin E (to have healthy skin) but I really don't know what brand should I buy and what dosage is required for me, how many should I take and for how long. I'm 28/F and quite healthy.

Please advice. Thanks!

ey i'm taking vit E as well kaso nde ko gaano alam para san ba talga un..

more info pls.
    tnx.

Vitamin E is an antioxidant, i.e., it fights off free radicals.

The usual dosage we prescribe to patients is 400 iu capsule/day. There are higher dosages available, but 400 iu is usually believed to be sufficient.

I usually prescribe ENat 400 I.U.

Vitamin E protects from free radicals, promotes healthy skin and reduces the risk of of myocardial infarction by 77%

hi doc Ira!

is it safe to take vitamin E capsules plus a multivitamin (centrum) plus additional vitamin C tablets (cecon)?

am i taking too much?

if so, would it be advisable to drop the multivitamin so i would instead be taking just E & C?

thanks a lot!!!!

How about you drop the other vitamins and keep the multivitamins instead? If you don't have any overt symptoms of nutritional deficiency and you're eating a more or less balanced diet, you don't need supplements like these anyway. You just pee them out.

Well I have a different kind of thinking regarding vitamin supplements which is primarily based on experience and its effects on me:

I take Ascorbic acid 500mg, 1 tab at breakfast then 1 tab at dinner for increased resistance and improved tissue healing

Multivitamins 500 mg 1 tab at breakfast then 1 tab at dinner again for my stressful job and every other day physically demanding sport-tennis. The contents of VitC (ascorbic acid) and VitE in any multi-vit tab are quite low (check the packaging) so you do need a separate source if it's supplements that you're looking for.

400 i.u. of generic pure Vitamin E for vigor and vitality (as adveritsed ) which I believe anyone over 30 (i'm in my early 30's mind you ) should start taking on a daily basis for its cardiovascular benefits, anti-cancer properties and "others"

Call it actual effects or placebo: but I haven't gotten sick for the past year, not a single cold. I average 4 sets of tennis even against younger competitve varsity players who make me run and huff all over the court. And my sex drive is to the MAX!

hmm.... thanks cedar2island

vitamin A and vitamin C. check these vitamins out and why they are also good for the skin. Calcium din ok if you are acne prone. nakakabawas daw ng inflammation ng pimples.

as for my part i eat lots of veggies.

Question

excuse my ignorance.. but what do you mean when you say synthetic Vit. E? kasi i take vit. E (kirkland), does that mean, since its chemically produced, theres nothing really inside those capsules but useless viscuous substance? ergo, hindi effective?

With a well balanced diet, much of your vitamin needs are pretty much taken cared of so you don't really need supplements unless there's a real deficiency. Anyway, there's little difference whether the vitamins are "synthetic" or "natural".

eyedoc and the others,

i just want your opinion. what about bodybuilders dont they have special vitamin needs like vit.A, C, and E which i think are anti-oxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals that inhibit muscle growth right? i take all of these vitamins daily and sometimes even twice, morning and evening if i go to the gym.

I agree that the body needs these vitamins. Vitamins A, C and E have been shown to be excellent antioxidants and are usually given in cases where free radical damage has occurred or is likely to occur. Free radical damage has been implicated in conditions ranging from cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration, etc. Inhibition of muscle growth? I really don't know about this.

Anyway, for vitamins & minerals, there is something called the recommended daily allowance. Here is a link to the US RDA of the different nutrients: RDA

Also, too much of a good thing is bad. There are such entities called hypervitaminosis especially with fat soluble vitamins (vitamin A being the most notorious). Megadoses of vitamin C are also found to promote oxidation rather than inhibit them. If you try to look at the labels of the vitamin supplements in the market, you would see that the amount of vitamins in those tablets are usually way way way above the RDA.

What I'm really trying to say is that you should not overdo everything, including the taking of vitamins. That's why I'm more inclined to recommend a good balanced diet and just add vitamin supplements as needed.

thanks for the insight eyedoc.

sentiments--
    this thread was relatively inactive for months. i thought it'd stay that way forever. nice to see it "alive" again. by the way, you're welcome!

little_witch--
    synthetic vit E is made from petroleum products rather than from plants, and it's probably for this reason why some doctors say the natural kind is "better." as for its efficacy, i think it's just as effective as the other kind.

bE uR seLf

what kind of vitamin should we take to have an "mamula-mula"
    na skin?

really, cedar2island? you mean, it's ok to take those kirkland vitamin E rin............... sobra kasi mahal ng squibb e eh...........

ano ok na brand na vit E

helo, ano kaya ok nd effective na brand na vitamin E any suggestion pls.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast