College of Saint Benilde Blazers: Bringing back the PRIDE and the HONOR - Page 31 | The NCAA Tourney | PinoyExchange

Page 31 of 31 First ... 21 30 31
    TY Tang looks to attract blue-chip recruits, build winning tradition at Benilde

COLLEGE of Saint Benilde seeks to beef up its recruitment efforts in the coming NCAA season with the ample support now coming in to the team.

New CSB coach TY Tang said the Blazers are looking to tab blue chip recruits especially now with the entry of Mighty Sports as one of the team’s backers.

“We are trying to look for our own recruits now that Mighty Sports is helping us through with the program. Expect a lot of changes in the kind of program that we have with CSB,” said Tang.

Tang said Mighty Sports isn’t the only one that is backing up the team even as CSB’s sister schools are also keen on helping out the Blazers, who last won an NCAA crown in 2000.

“There’s a few more who pledged their support. Maybe now that we are in line with the sister school, baka makakuha kami ng recruits from them,” said Tang.

Being active in the recruitment game is just one of the things that Tang is set to inject in the Blazers program that is looking to end a 16-year title drought.

Tang has already begun holding formal practices with the team since his hiring this month as the Blazers begin their build-up for NCAA Season 93 next year.

Tang, no stranger to winning having part of championship teams with La Salle in the UAAP and Rain or Shine in the PBA, said he has high expectations for the team as he looks to build a winning tradition in CSB.

“I don’t want to speak too soon but I have high hopes for the team. We want to be a contender right way. I know it’s a work of progress but we want to reach high. At least, if we fell short, at least it is close to what are goals are,” said Tang.

Merry Christmas, guise! Animo Benilde!!!

Ty Tang holds high hopes for new recruit Unique Naboa as CSB plots rise from cellar

There is no pressure as of now for Unique Naboa to make an immediate impact with the Blazers. Dante Peralta
    COLLEGE of St. Benilde coach TY Tang sees new recruit Unique Naboa taking an important role with the Blazers, but not in the immediate future as he adjusts to college play in the NCAA.

La Salle Greenhills player Naboa has started to train with the Blazers and sees a lot of potential in the young point guard.

“He is a natural point guard for me. He can see the floor. Maganda ‘yung vision niya. He is crafty and aggressive and a good defender, but his aggressiveness tends to backfire also. It’s a work in progress but for now, it’s good to have him,” said Tang.

“Coming from high school, there’s a lot of adjustments sa environment and the competition from high school to college,” said Tang.

Naboa averaged 14.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 1.2 steals for the Junior Blazers last season where he played alongside league MVP Troy Mallillin, who is slated to play for La Salle in the UAAP.

“Right now, we have Unique Naboa coming from La Salle Greenhills. Other than that, the team is still intact,” said Tang following the Filoil Flying V Preseason Premier Cup coaches’ meeting.

“Fortunately, we were able to recruit him and influence him to play for CSB especially coming off high school, top 12 siya sa rankings,” said Tang.

The Blazers have an intact core led by Carlo Young but under new management with Tang in his rookie year as head coach, and a new backer in Mighty Sports.

CSB went 1-17 last season under coach Gabby Velasco.

Tang to employ 'run and gun' style as new Blazers coach

MANILA, Philippines — TY Tang tries to bristle with optimism. He played the game with relative ease, winning championships with the Xavier Golden Stallions in the Tiong Lian League, the La Salle Green Archers in the UAAP, and the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the PBA. Now as head coach of the College of Saint Benilde Blazers, it’s a daunting task to change a culture of underachieving.

“I have to pull back and remind myself that they are kids who are still learning the game,” Tang admitted. “I played for very demanding coaches in Franz Pumaren and Yeng Guiao. They said what they needed to be said using colorful language. I catch myself being hotheaded at times but I have to pull back and tell myself that these kids need to be develop and encouraged.”

Four NCAA seasons ago, the Blazers went 5-13. They turned things around in Season 90 with an 11-7 record and came within one win of making it to the Final Four. The team, its coaches, and supporters that they kick down the doors and boogie with perennial contenders San Beda and Letran the next season. Only they fell back to 5-13 after which they crashed and burned during the last campaign, falling to 1-17.

A coaching change was necessitated with longtime coach Gabby Velasco not renewed for another run. Tang was brought in with some curious additions – former Ateneo Blue Eagles Jean Alabanza and Charles Tiu – joining as assistants. “We’re all good because we come from a Jesuit school in Xavier. I want to make them think that they went to the wrong school. Kidding aside. Our duties are to develop athletes on and off the court.”

One of the constant challenges so far has been the transition from player to a coach. “I am not used to being a coach to begin with,” admitted Tang who was the only college head coach to attend the Coaches Meeting of the upcoming FilOil Flying V Premier Cup (slated to tip-off late April). “As a player, my daily routine was taking care of my body and preparing for the game that I was to play that day. As long as I perform well, okay na ako.

As a coach, every day is a different scenario for you. If we play today, you find things you need to correct, meron classroom discussion on that on how you solve the concerns. Every day is mind-boggling and it is critical that I have to do time management.”

“Aside from coaching, I still have to work in the office of my family business. When I am driving to a meeting or even when I am in the middle of a meeting, basketball, my new team, is in the back of my head because there’s so much work to do. If there is a changing of the guard with the coaches there is also the same for the players. It is to get the players to buy into the system we want. We want a different atmosphere and a toughness to win.

We need to get that confidence moving forward and keep winning games. It is important to win also in the pre-season.”

The challenges aside from installing a different system is that the Blazers lost second year center Christian Fajarito, who decamped from CSB. Fajarito, who came up from Far Eastern University in high school, was one of the few bright spots for the Blazers last season, and his decision to transfer out further depletes the big man corps.

“Right now we have Clement Leutcheu, Edward Dixon, and Kendrix Belgica to play the five. Rene Santamaria is a stretch four,” said Tang. “The plan is to impose tough defense and a run and gun game.”

“We’ve read about pro players having difficulty in their transition to coaching,” summed up Tang. “The key is to be as patient as much as possible and to be able to communicate with their team. If that communication on and off the court fails then we aren’t going to get anything done. I’d say right now, CSB is a work in progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda View Post
    Tang to employ 'run and gun' style as new Blazers coach

MANILA, Philippines — TY Tang tries to bristle with optimism. He played the game with relative ease, winning championships with the Xavier Golden Stallions in the Tiong Lian League, the La Salle Green Archers in the UAAP, and the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the PBA. Now as head coach of the College of Saint Benilde Blazers, it’s a daunting task to change a culture of underachieving.

“I have to pull back and remind myself that they are kids who are still learning the game,” Tang admitted. “I played for very demanding coaches in Franz Pumaren and Yeng Guiao. They said what they needed to be said using colorful language. I catch myself being hotheaded at times but I have to pull back and tell myself that these kids need to be develop and encouraged.”

Four NCAA seasons ago, the Blazers went 5-13. They turned things around in Season 90 with an 11-7 record and came within one win of making it to the Final Four. The team, its coaches, and supporters that they kick down the doors and boogie with perennial contenders San Beda and Letran the next season. Only they fell back to 5-13 after which they crashed and burned during the last campaign, falling to 1-17.

A coaching change was necessitated with longtime coach Gabby Velasco not renewed for another run. Tang was brought in with some curious additions – former Ateneo Blue Eagles Jean Alabanza and Charles Tiu – joining as assistants. “We’re all good because we come from a Jesuit school in Xavier. I want to make them think that they went to the wrong school. Kidding aside. Our duties are to develop athletes on and off the court.”

One of the constant challenges so far has been the transition from player to a coach. “I am not used to being a coach to begin with,” admitted Tang who was the only college head coach to attend the Coaches Meeting of the upcoming FilOil Flying V Premier Cup (slated to tip-off late April). “As a player, my daily routine was taking care of my body and preparing for the game that I was to play that day. As long as I perform well, okay na ako.

As a coach, every day is a different scenario for you. If we play today, you find things you need to correct, meron classroom discussion on that on how you solve the concerns. Every day is mind-boggling and it is critical that I have to do time management.”

“Aside from coaching, I still have to work in the office of my family business. When I am driving to a meeting or even when I am in the middle of a meeting, basketball, my new team, is in the back of my head because there’s so much work to do. If there is a changing of the guard with the coaches there is also the same for the players. It is to get the players to buy into the system we want. We want a different atmosphere and a toughness to win.

We need to get that confidence moving forward and keep winning games. It is important to win also in the pre-season.”

The challenges aside from installing a different system is that the Blazers lost second year center Christian Fajarito, who decamped from CSB. Fajarito, who came up from Far Eastern University in high school, was one of the few bright spots for the Blazers last season, and his decision to transfer out further depletes the big man corps.

“Right now we have Clement Leutcheu, Edward Dixon, and Kendrix Belgica to play the five. Rene Santamaria is a stretch four,” said Tang. “The plan is to impose tough defense and a run and gun game.”

“We’ve read about pro players having difficulty in their transition to coaching,” summed up Tang. “The key is to be as patient as much as possible and to be able to communicate with their team. If that communication on and off the court fails then we aren’t going to get anything done. I’d say right now, CSB is a work in progress.”
    Any news where Fajarito is headed? Also any new recruitments you might heard of?

Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    Any news where Fajarito is headed? Also any new recruitments you might heard of?
    NU na si Fajarito. and according to another forum may mga Fil - Am recruits daw si Charles Tiu who is undergoing residency sa Benilde

Quote Originally Posted by Jimpix View Post
    NU na si Fajarito. and according to another forum may mga Fil - Am recruits daw si Charles Tiu who is undergoing residency sa Benilde
    The only Fil-Am that I see training with the team is Josh Barnes. Barnes was with DLSU before and then moved to Letran when he failed to make it to the Green Archers lineup.

The only Fil-Am that I see training with the team is Josh Barnes. Barnes was with DLSU before and then moved to Letran when he failed to make it to the Green Archers lineup.
    How about Yankie Haruna?

How does josh barnes play? Is he eligible right away? Cant find any highlights of him. Looks like he'll only have a couple of years of eligibility.

Planning to watch some of their games this coming fil oil tournament. Pretty excited to see what changes has been made so far with regards to recruitment and performance on the court.

How does josh barnes play? Is he eligible right away? Cant find any highlights of him. Looks like he'll only have a couple of years of eligibility.

Planning to watch some of their games this coming fil oil tournament. Pretty excited to see what changes has been made so far with regards to recruitment and performance on the court.
    Josh Barnes bench player sa Letran during the Milcu Tournament last year ata kaya siguro nagtransfer. 3rd school na niya so sayang mga residency years niya.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimpix View Post
    How about Yankie Haruna?
    Yankie already played last season so he can't be categorized as a "recruit".

Barnes would probably have to sit out a year. He's around 6'3" and plays the wing but he also looks overweight for his position.

Page 31 of 31 First ... 21 30 31