College of Saint Benilde Blazers: Bringing back the PRIDE and the HONOR - Page 31 | The NCAA Tourney | PinoyExchange

Page 31 of 32 First ... 21 30 31 32 Last
Results 601 to 620 of 628
  1. #601

  2. #602
    Ty Tang holds high hopes for new recruit Unique Naboa as CSB plots rise from cellar

    There is no pressure as of now for Unique Naboa to make an immediate impact with the Blazers. Dante Peralta
    COLLEGE of St. Benilde coach TY Tang sees new recruit Unique Naboa taking an important role with the Blazers, but not in the immediate future as he adjusts to college play in the NCAA.

    La Salle Greenhills player Naboa has started to train with the Blazers and sees a lot of potential in the young point guard.

    “He is a natural point guard for me. He can see the floor. Maganda ‘yung vision niya. He is crafty and aggressive and a good defender, but his aggressiveness tends to backfire also. It’s a work in progress but for now, it’s good to have him,” said Tang.

    “Coming from high school, there’s a lot of adjustments sa environment and the competition from high school to college,” said Tang.

    Naboa averaged 14.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 1.2 steals for the Junior Blazers last season where he played alongside league MVP Troy Mallillin, who is slated to play for La Salle in the UAAP.

    “Right now, we have Unique Naboa coming from La Salle Greenhills. Other than that, the team is still intact,” said Tang following the Filoil Flying V Preseason Premier Cup coaches’ meeting.

    “Fortunately, we were able to recruit him and influence him to play for CSB especially coming off high school, top 12 siya sa rankings,” said Tang.

    The Blazers have an intact core led by Carlo Young but under new management with Tang in his rookie year as head coach, and a new backer in Mighty Sports.

    CSB went 1-17 last season under coach Gabby Velasco.

  3. #603
    Tang to employ 'run and gun' style as new Blazers coach

    MANILA, Philippines — TY Tang tries to bristle with optimism. He played the game with relative ease, winning championships with the Xavier Golden Stallions in the Tiong Lian League, the La Salle Green Archers in the UAAP, and the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the PBA. Now as head coach of the College of Saint Benilde Blazers, it’s a daunting task to change a culture of underachieving.

    “I have to pull back and remind myself that they are kids who are still learning the game,” Tang admitted. “I played for very demanding coaches in Franz Pumaren and Yeng Guiao. They said what they needed to be said using colorful language. I catch myself being hotheaded at times but I have to pull back and tell myself that these kids need to be develop and encouraged.”

    Four NCAA seasons ago, the Blazers went 5-13. They turned things around in Season 90 with an 11-7 record and came within one win of making it to the Final Four. The team, its coaches, and supporters that they kick down the doors and boogie with perennial contenders San Beda and Letran the next season. Only they fell back to 5-13 after which they crashed and burned during the last campaign, falling to 1-17.

    A coaching change was necessitated with longtime coach Gabby Velasco not renewed for another run. Tang was brought in with some curious additions – former Ateneo Blue Eagles Jean Alabanza and Charles Tiu – joining as assistants. “We’re all good because we come from a Jesuit school in Xavier. I want to make them think that they went to the wrong school. Kidding aside. Our duties are to develop athletes on and off the court.”

    One of the constant challenges so far has been the transition from player to a coach. “I am not used to being a coach to begin with,” admitted Tang who was the only college head coach to attend the Coaches Meeting of the upcoming FilOil Flying V Premier Cup (slated to tip-off late April). “As a player, my daily routine was taking care of my body and preparing for the game that I was to play that day. As long as I perform well, okay na ako.

    As a coach, every day is a different scenario for you. If we play today, you find things you need to correct, meron classroom discussion on that on how you solve the concerns. Every day is mind-boggling and it is critical that I have to do time management.”

    “Aside from coaching, I still have to work in the office of my family business. When I am driving to a meeting or even when I am in the middle of a meeting, basketball, my new team, is in the back of my head because there’s so much work to do. If there is a changing of the guard with the coaches there is also the same for the players. It is to get the players to buy into the system we want. We want a different atmosphere and a toughness to win.

    We need to get that confidence moving forward and keep winning games. It is important to win also in the pre-season.”

    The challenges aside from installing a different system is that the Blazers lost second year center Christian Fajarito, who decamped from CSB. Fajarito, who came up from Far Eastern University in high school, was one of the few bright spots for the Blazers last season, and his decision to transfer out further depletes the big man corps.

    “Right now we have Clement Leutcheu, Edward Dixon, and Kendrix Belgica to play the five. Rene Santamaria is a stretch four,” said Tang. “The plan is to impose tough defense and a run and gun game.”

    “We’ve read about pro players having difficulty in their transition to coaching,” summed up Tang. “The key is to be as patient as much as possible and to be able to communicate with their team. If that communication on and off the court fails then we aren’t going to get anything done. I’d say right now, CSB is a work in progress.”

  4. #604
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda View Post
    Tang to employ 'run and gun' style as new Blazers coach

    MANILA, Philippines — TY Tang tries to bristle with optimism. He played the game with relative ease, winning championships with the Xavier Golden Stallions in the Tiong Lian League, the La Salle Green Archers in the UAAP, and the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the PBA. Now as head coach of the College of Saint Benilde Blazers, it’s a daunting task to change a culture of underachieving.

    “I have to pull back and remind myself that they are kids who are still learning the game,” Tang admitted. “I played for very demanding coaches in Franz Pumaren and Yeng Guiao. They said what they needed to be said using colorful language. I catch myself being hotheaded at times but I have to pull back and tell myself that these kids need to be develop and encouraged.”

    Four NCAA seasons ago, the Blazers went 5-13. They turned things around in Season 90 with an 11-7 record and came within one win of making it to the Final Four. The team, its coaches, and supporters that they kick down the doors and boogie with perennial contenders San Beda and Letran the next season. Only they fell back to 5-13 after which they crashed and burned during the last campaign, falling to 1-17.

    A coaching change was necessitated with longtime coach Gabby Velasco not renewed for another run. Tang was brought in with some curious additions – former Ateneo Blue Eagles Jean Alabanza and Charles Tiu – joining as assistants. “We’re all good because we come from a Jesuit school in Xavier. I want to make them think that they went to the wrong school. Kidding aside. Our duties are to develop athletes on and off the court.”

    One of the constant challenges so far has been the transition from player to a coach. “I am not used to being a coach to begin with,” admitted Tang who was the only college head coach to attend the Coaches Meeting of the upcoming FilOil Flying V Premier Cup (slated to tip-off late April). “As a player, my daily routine was taking care of my body and preparing for the game that I was to play that day. As long as I perform well, okay na ako.

    As a coach, every day is a different scenario for you. If we play today, you find things you need to correct, meron classroom discussion on that on how you solve the concerns. Every day is mind-boggling and it is critical that I have to do time management.”

    “Aside from coaching, I still have to work in the office of my family business. When I am driving to a meeting or even when I am in the middle of a meeting, basketball, my new team, is in the back of my head because there’s so much work to do. If there is a changing of the guard with the coaches there is also the same for the players. It is to get the players to buy into the system we want. We want a different atmosphere and a toughness to win.

    We need to get that confidence moving forward and keep winning games. It is important to win also in the pre-season.”

    The challenges aside from installing a different system is that the Blazers lost second year center Christian Fajarito, who decamped from CSB. Fajarito, who came up from Far Eastern University in high school, was one of the few bright spots for the Blazers last season, and his decision to transfer out further depletes the big man corps.

    “Right now we have Clement Leutcheu, Edward Dixon, and Kendrix Belgica to play the five. Rene Santamaria is a stretch four,” said Tang. “The plan is to impose tough defense and a run and gun game.”

    “We’ve read about pro players having difficulty in their transition to coaching,” summed up Tang. “The key is to be as patient as much as possible and to be able to communicate with their team. If that communication on and off the court fails then we aren’t going to get anything done. I’d say right now, CSB is a work in progress.”
    Any news where Fajarito is headed? Also any new recruitments you might heard of?

  5. #605
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    Any news where Fajarito is headed? Also any new recruitments you might heard of?
    NU na si Fajarito. and according to another forum may mga Fil - Am recruits daw si Charles Tiu who is undergoing residency sa Benilde

  6. #606
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimpix View Post
    NU na si Fajarito. and according to another forum may mga Fil - Am recruits daw si Charles Tiu who is undergoing residency sa Benilde
    The only Fil-Am that I see training with the team is Josh Barnes. Barnes was with DLSU before and then moved to Letran when he failed to make it to the Green Archers lineup.

  7. #607
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda View Post
    The only Fil-Am that I see training with the team is Josh Barnes. Barnes was with DLSU before and then moved to Letran when he failed to make it to the Green Archers lineup.
    How about Yankie Haruna?

  8. #608
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda View Post
    The only Fil-Am that I see training with the team is Josh Barnes. Barnes was with DLSU before and then moved to Letran when he failed to make it to the Green Archers lineup.
    How does josh barnes play? Is he eligible right away? Cant find any highlights of him. Looks like he'll only have a couple of years of eligibility.

    Planning to watch some of their games this coming fil oil tournament. Pretty excited to see what changes has been made so far with regards to recruitment and performance on the court.

  9. #609
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    How does josh barnes play? Is he eligible right away? Cant find any highlights of him. Looks like he'll only have a couple of years of eligibility.

    Planning to watch some of their games this coming fil oil tournament. Pretty excited to see what changes has been made so far with regards to recruitment and performance on the court.
    Josh Barnes bench player sa Letran during the Milcu Tournament last year ata kaya siguro nagtransfer. 3rd school na niya so sayang mga residency years niya.

  10. #610
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimpix View Post
    How about Yankie Haruna?
    Yankie already played last season so he can't be categorized as a "recruit".

  11. #611
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    How does josh barnes play? Is he eligible right away? Cant find any highlights of him. Looks like he'll only have a couple of years of eligibility.

    Planning to watch some of their games this coming fil oil tournament. Pretty excited to see what changes has been made so far with regards to recruitment and performance on the court.
    Barnes would probably have to sit out a year. He's around 6'3" and plays the wing but he also looks overweight for his position.

  12. #612

    Thumbs up



    SAN JUAN City – College of Saint Benilde gave rookie coach Tyrone Tang a memorable first win by trouncing Mapua Institute of Technology, 64-49, at the resumption of the 11th FilOil Flying V Premier Cup Wednesday (May 3) at the FilOil Flying V Centre. This early, the changes brought about by the new coaching regime definitely yielded positive results for a team that won only one game in the previous NCAA. READ MORE

  13. #613
    anyone watched the game today? any idea whos suarez and johnson? looks like were fielding the same team as last year. based on the score sheet we only have 3 new players. this doesnt look good imo.

  14. #614
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    anyone watched the game today? any idea whos suarez and johnson? looks like were fielding the same team as last year. based on the score sheet we only have 3 new players. this doesnt look good imo.
    Carl Suarez and Matt Johnson. Matt Johnson parang one and done player na ito Fil-Am.

    i guess Benilde can compete. siguro the best finish for NC is 7th. projected ko lang hehe

  15. #615
    Saint Benilde locks Mapua down in the fourth for first win

    Phase one of the College of Saint Benilde Blazers’ rebuilding was off to a good start, as the Taft-based squad stifled the Mapua Institute of Technology Cardinals in a 64-59 win in Group B action at the Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan City.

    And it was because of the hard-nosed full court pressure defense of the Blazers that led them to victory.

    “Well it’s been a change of environment from day one. We’ve been entailing to them and trying to put emphasis on defense, hard work, and just the intensity and energy that we want to put out. It’s a hundred percent effort for us to win the game,” new Blazers head coach TY Tang said as his team looked in shape compared to their opponents.

    Saint Benilde were able to force Mapua to commit 33 turnovers, scoring 19 points off of it. Moreover, when Mapua crept in, cutting the lead to just two points, 47-49 with 6:59 left, Saint Benilde locked down and limited the Cardinals to just two points the rest of the way — six points in total during the final frame.

    Gerard Castor paced the Blazers with nine points, five rebounds, two assists, and two steals.

    “I think it’s a really good boost in our morale. And I think this is one way of showing that we’ve gone a long way, but we’re not there yet. We can’t be contented,” skipper Castor said. “This is only one game, and we’re looking for consistency, because in order to go to the top, we have to be consistent in what we do and keep improving.”

    Edward Dixon added seven points and eight rebounds, while Kendrix Belgica chipped in eight markers and six boards.

    “Well, I think really, it’s just trying to convince them to buy in to the kind of change in the game that we want them to play. It was pretty hard during the start to really convince them, but once they bought in after one tournament we had, it was really a good team-building for us,” Tang remarked about the change of culture in the team.

    The Blazers shot 36 percent from the field, while the Cardinals shot a dismal 32 percent. Moreover, Mapua went to the line just four times in the game.

    Christian Bunag was the only player to score in double figures with 12 points and 13 rebounds.

    Mapua will be without Allwell Oraeme and Darell Menina, their top two scorers last season, for the remainder of the tournament and the season, as confirmed by head coach Atoy Co.

    Saint Benilde will next face the San Sebastian Golden Stags on Wednesday, May 10, at 1:30pm. Mapua, meanwhile, will have a long break before facing the Adamson University Soaring Falcons on Friday, May 12 at 1:30pm.

    The Scores:

    CSB (64) – Castor 9, Belgica 8, Dixon 7, Haruna 7, Sta. Maria 7, Naboa 6, Leutcheu 6, Jj. Domingo 4, Mercado 4, San Juan 2, Suarez 2, Young 2, Johnson 0, Pili 0, Velasco 0.

    MIT (49) – Bunag 12, Orquina 8, Victoria 7, Pelayo 7, Estrella 6, Serrano 6, Aguirre 2, Gabo 1, Gamboa 0, Nieles 0, Raflores 0, Magboo 0.

    Quarterscores: 15-15, 23-28, 41-43, 64-49.

  16. #616
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    anyone watched the game today? any idea whos suarez and johnson? looks like were fielding the same team as last year. based on the score sheet we only have 3 new players. this doesnt look good imo.
    Suarez was part of last year's squad. I don't know what position Matt Johnson plays but he's been part of the training pool for quite some time.

  17. #617
    TY Tang glad to have a lot of 'basketball IQ' in his coaching staff at Benilde

    TY Tang's transition from PBA player to College of St. Benilde coach has not been that rough, thanks in large part to an all-star coaching staff.

    Among his deputies are PBA champion tactician Siot Tanquingcen, former Smart Gilas assistant coach Charles Tiu, and former TnT slotman Ali Peek.

    The former Rain or Shine point guard, though, sees no problem in having assistant coaches with a wealth of coaching and playing experience. In fact, the rookie Blazers coach even sees it as an advantage.

    "I just wanted to have a lot of IQ, basketball IQ in my coaching staff," said Tang.

    "It doesn't need to be disciplined or having them have characters or attitude, but more of having the intellectual thing of the game, being able to share to these guys over here, because that's gonna be a lot of help in terms of me as a head coach and trying to just disseminate to my coaches, and them being able to help me out," he added.

    The ex-La Salle standout pointed out that what’s crucial is for them to always be on the same page on how to develop the young Blazers team.

    "Imagine, instead of just me alone, having like six or seven guys maybe like me or even the others above me in terms of basketball experience, in terms of coaching experience, help me out in this institution, in trying to rebuild the program of St. Benilde," he said.

    So far, the rebuilding Blazers have shown progress on Wednesday, when CSB disposed of Mapua, 64-49 in their Filoil Premier Cup opener.

    There's not one player that stood out as Benilde had a balanced attack against the Cardinals, and it's a good sign for the Blazers according to Tang.

    But he insists they still have a long way to go.

    "We're just going to try to build up our confidence as we won today and hopefully keep it rolling, get it to another level," said Tang.

  18. #618
    Olivarez, Diliman College, Benilde open campaigns on high note in UCBL Invitationals

    TY Tang's CSB Blazers beat JRU in a close game. Dante Peralta
    OLIVAREZ College and Diliman College kicked off their title bids on winning notes even as College of St. Benilde outlasted fellow NCAA regular Jose Rizal University at the start of the UCBL Summer Invitational at the Buddhacare gym in Quezon City.

    Working behind their vaunted running game, the Olivarez Sea Lions rallied in the second half to edge the Centro Escolar University, 48-46, while the Diliman cagers stunned the National University Bulldogs, 69-57.

    The CSB Blazers, on the other hand, leaned on a well-balanced attack to beat the JRU Bombers, 76-72, in the tournament backed by Ever Bilena-Blackwater, Smart, Advanced Solution, Inc. and Manila Bulletin

    UCBL president Franklin Evidente led an array of league and school officials who graced the event serving a preseason tournament for UCBL, UAAP and NCAA teams.

    Nobody scored in double figures for the Sea Lions but at least six players scored six points or more with John Uduba and Archie Sunga finishing with eight points each.

    Mentored by TY Tang, the Blazers produced a decisive run in the second quarter behind the guns of Lorenzo Mercado, Jimboy Pasturan and Kenmark Miranda to pull away for good.

    Alex Diakhite produced a double-double for Diliman College with 19 points and 10 rebounds while Rick Gerer and Jem Sombero combined for 25 points.

    The top two teams after the double elims square off in the finals with the No. 1 enjoying a twice-to-beat advantage.

  19. #619
    Thoughts on Jimboy Pasturan and Kenmark Miranda? Are they good and what post do they play? Will they be eligible this coming season?

  20. #620
    Quote Originally Posted by 420BLAZERS View Post
    Thoughts on Jimboy Pasturan and Kenmark Miranda? Are they good and what post do they play? Will they be eligible this coming season?
    Pasturan is a point guard. Miranda is more of a 2 - 3 player. Both will have to undergo residency. kakalipat lang nila

    New recruit for Benilde : Fil-Am Guard Trevor Dunbar

Page 31 of 32 First ... 21 30 31 32 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •