NBA - Page 5 | NBA | PinoyExchange

X

Page 5 of 16 First ... 4 5 6 15 ... Last
    The NBA's Board of Governors is expected to approve the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer quickly after the transaction from Shelly Sterling to Ballmer is complete, a person familiar with details of the sale told USA TODAY Sports.

The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly until the sale is finalized. USA Today Sports

in 1-2 years, expect the transferring of the clippers franchise to Seattle.

The Knicks also may still re-sign Toure' Murry. The free agent guard has drawn interest from the Heat, Jazz and Clippers, according to a league source. ESPN.com

Sam Cassell is leaving the Washington Wizards after five seasons to take an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, people with knowledge of the situation confirmed Saturday. Cassell joined the Wizards as a member of Flip Saunders’s staff in 2009, one year after winning a third championship in Boston with Doc Rivers, the current president and coach of the Clippers.

Jorge Sedano: Clippers to work out back up Centers this week. Names that will come thru: Andray Blatche, Greg Oden, Andrew Bynum & Emeka Okafor Twitter

Ballmer spoke to reporters Monday before teeing off in a “Snoqualmie Showdown” charity round of celebrity golf with Fred Couples, Rick Neuheisel and Sports Radio KJR morning radio host Mitch Levy ahead of the Boeing Classic later this month at Snoqualmie Ridge. He expressed regret at leaving the group fronted by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen that is trying to bring the NBA back to Seattle, but said the opportunity to buy the Los Angeles Clippers was too big to pass up.

“It was my dream to have a team in Seattle,” said Ballmer, speaking locally for the first time since his $2 billion offer in May to buy the Clippers, which is held up in a court battle between the league and outgoing owner Donald Sterling.

“I spent some time on that and worked on it and I wish that had worked. I don’t know when that will happen. With luck, maybe it happens in the next few years, but if it takes a few more than that, I decided that this was probably the best path for me to take.” Seattle Times

Ballmer reiterated, as he has several times since making the bid, there’s no chance he’ll eventually move the Clippers to Seattle. He said the NBA would never allow it and he paid the price he did because the Clippers are a Los Angeles-based team. “Probably most people will tell you I paid an L.A. beachfront price, not a Seattle beachfront price for the team,” he said. “I’m not crazy.” Seattle Times

Griffin had pulled out of Team USA's basketball training camp for the FIBA World Cup because of back concerns, though the All-Star said they haven't "restricted" him. "It's less than a hairline and my back is not fractured. Everything is still intact," Griffin said. "I can still come out here and I can do my workouts and I can do everything I used to do. I just shouldn't be playing and practicing everyday this early." Los Angeles Times

"My whole thing is that I didn't want to go into [Clippers training] camp and put myself in a worse position," he said. "It's not that my back is broken and I'm walking around with a broken back, or I'm in so much pain. "But if I start playing basically two months earlier than everybody else and then go through all of next season and the playoffs, then I'm probably going to put myself in a bad position. I couldn't do that." Los Angeles Times

Where would you like to play if you were to leave the Rockets? Donatas Motiejunas: Most likely in Los Angeles because there no serious bigs and I would likely get chances to play. I mean Lakers, not the Clippers. TalkBasket

An appeals court denied Donald Sterling's petition late Friday to stay last month's probate court ruling against him, the latest round of legal wrangling over the proposed $2-billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to Steve Ballmer.

The ruling capped a confused and hectic 24 hours that left all parties back where they started. Sterling's attorneys face a Wednesday deadline to file their objections to the probate court's ruling and presumably take the case to the appeals court again. Miami Herald

Former Microsoft CEO officially takes control of LA Clippers

Agence France-Presse
    Posted at 08/13/2014 9:00 AM | Updated as of 08/13/2014 9:00 AM

LOS ANGELES - Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer officially became the new owner of the Los Angeles Clippers Tuesday in an estimated $2 billion deal after months of legal wrangling, the National Basketball Association said.

Ballmer said he was "humbled and honored" after the transaction was sealed when a California court order went into effect confirming that Shelly Sterling had the authority to sell the team.

The team went on the block after the NBA slapped a life ban on her estranged husband and its owner, Donald Sterling, who bought the club in 1981 for $12.5 million.

The action was in response to a video aired on celebrity website TMZ that showed Donald Sterling criticizing his girlfriend for having her picture taken with black people.

In the storm that followed, the 80-year-old billionaire initially agreed to the sale of the team, but then abruptly withdrew his support.

His wife Shelly, however, moved to sell the Clippers as a trustee of the family trust that owned the team after Sterling had been declared mentally incapacitated.

The NBA Board of Governors had previously approved the sale and Ballmer now takes on the title of Clippers Governor.

Ballmer thanked Clippers fans for remaining "fiercely loyal to our franchise through some extraordinary times."

"I will be hardcore in giving the team, our great coach, staff and players the support they need to do their best work on the court," he said.

"And we will do whatever necessary to provide our fans and their families with the best game-night experience in the NBA."

- 'Wonderful new owner' -

Ballmer is expected to travel to California later this week and have dinner with head coach Doc Rivers and the players, then meet with Clippers employees and fans at an event next Monday.

Rivers said they can now focus on winning a first title.

"This is an amazing new day in Clippers history," Rivers said. "I couldn't be more excited to work together with Steve as we continue to build a first-class, championship organization.

"I am already inspired by Steve's passion for the game, his love of competition and desire to win the right way, and I know our players and fans are going to be inspired as well."

On Monday, the NBA filed a counterclaim in US federal court saying Donald Sterling caused "incalculable harm" to the league.

The counterclaim says that Shelly Sterling signed an agreement three months ago on behalf of the family trust, indemnifying the NBA for any litigation costs in connection with the sale of the Clippers.

The suit also notes that similar indemnification agreements are in the league's constitution and in another document signed by Donald Sterling in 2005.

Ballmer's purchase would make the Clippers the second most expensive franchise in US professional sports. It is the highest price ever paid for an NBA team.

On July 28, after a three-week trial, Judge Michael Levanas gave the green light to the sale, finding no evidence of a secret plot against Sterling.

Sterling contended he had been duped by his wife into submitting to the medical tests as part of a plot to have him ousted from the trust so the sale could move forward.

Donald Sterling appealed the decision to a court in Los Angles, but it was rejected.

"I am thrilled that the Clippers now have such a wonderful new owner," Shelly Sterling said. "I am happy for the team, the fans, the sponsors and the city of Los Angeles.

"I am confident that Steve will bring the city a championship team in the very near future. I cannot wait for the new season to begin."

Donald Sterling has said he would not go down without a fight and still is reportedly expected to launch another appeal of the sale.

The decision to hand the team over to Ballmer comes one day before the NBA is expected to announce its new schedule.

jr/gph/bfm
    © 1994-2014 Agence France-Presse

NBA: Sale of LA Clippers has been finalized

abs-cbnnews.com
    Posted at 08/13/2014 12:18 PM

The sale of the Los Angeles Clippers is now final, according to a statement issued by the NBA.

The transaction between Shelly Sterling on behalf of the Sterling family trust and former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer went through after an order by a California court.

The $2-billion price tag for the franchise was the highest paid for an NBA team.

The team, which began in 1970 as the Buffalo Braves, has never won an NBA championship.

The sale ends a saga that began when former team owner Donald Sterling was heard making racist remarks to his girlfriend on a tape recording. -- Mornings @ ANC, August 13, 2014

"At the root of everything he does and has done, he has always loved basketball," Crawford, a Seattle native, told USA TODAY Sports by phone Tuesday after the sale to Ballmer was announced by the NBA. "I remember one time we went to Spokane (Wash.) for a game out there, a charity game, and he flew up there just to watch some pros play. He's always somebody who's very excited and very motivated, and I'm sure he'll be like that (with the Clippers) times 10. USA Today Sports

Ramona Shelburne: Steve Ballmer tells ESPN he has absolutely "no thought" of moving the Clippers to Seattle. Ballmer says: "I' love Los Angeles. I love Seattle too. But the notion of spending time in Los Angeles has been exciting to me for years." Twitter @ramonashelburne

Ramona Shelburne: Steve Ballmer is planning to have dinner with the Clippers team later this week, and to meet with team employees next Monday Twitter @ramonashelburne

---

Rivers, 52, the president of basketball operations and head coach, has two years left on his original three-year, $21 million contract. Rivers is already one of the highest-paid executives and coaches in professional sports, and his prominence and pay could grow with the promise of Ballmer's stewardship of the Clippers. Yahoo! Sports

-=-

In the wake of owner Steve Ballmer gaining governorship control of the Los Angeles Clippers, discussions on a contract extension for Doc Rivers are expected to commence soon, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Ballmer and Rivers had been eager to forge a long-term partnership, and a California court confirming the authority of Shelly Sterling to sell the franchise on behalf of the Sterling Family Trust has cleared the way to work toward a new deal. Yahoo! Sports

Page 5 of 16 First ... 4 5 6 15 ... Last