PEx Highlights

PBA: Still 'Liga ng Bayan' after 40 Years

We list down ten compelling reasons, on why the PBA has remained relevant to Filipinos today since its inception in 1975.

read more

Solo Backpackers: Get Up and Go!

Planning to escape the rigors of the metro soon? Join the Solo Backpackers thread and get insights and tips from fellow PExers about traveling alone!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

PHOTOS: Rain or Shine Rallies Past Blackwater

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters avoided an upset loss to the Blackwater Elite thanks to a late rally in the 4th quarter, 82-75.

read more

PHOTOS: TNT Dismantle NLEX to Get First Win

The Talk N Text Tropang Texters made quick work of the NLEX Road Warriors, getting their first win of the Phillipine Cup, 103-81.

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parents' Insurance/Health Card

How old are your parents? Do they have insurances?
    Yung parents ko kasi wala. Medyo nakaka worry kasi matatanda na sila. Hindi na covered ng health card ko ang age nila.

For those of you whose parents have insurance, matagal na ba sila nagstart magbayad?

And for those who have none, how do you handle hospital bills?
    Does your family have a mutual emergency fund for health care?

My parents are no longer insurable under most health plans, because of their advanced age. They only have Philhealth and their personal savings to rely on. If the health care expenses ever exceed their means, they'll have to look to their children. Thankfully, they take care of themselves and are in relatively good health.

I think this is one eventuality we will all have to prepare for. Health care costs during our old age will never be adequately covered by government subsidy programs or private insurance. Best to start setting aside money for this as early as we can.

Ako rin, di na rin qualified ang senior citizens ko - should I decide to get my own health card/HMO.

If ever qualified ang senior citizens sa HMO, the premiums can quite expensive.

So how do I handle it? I decided to put up a huge emergency fund in the bank - sa savings account/time deposit. My senior parents have also money in the bank, kaya dagdag na rin yung sa akin.

-------------------

Not long ago I have been researching feedback about health card, but I decided not to get one as an individual (I work as a freelancer, self-employed). I was able to gather this general impression:

- Health card packages are better availed as an employee and the company offers it. Mas maganda kasi ang deals na offered sa mga corporate kaysa sa individuals. Some companies split part of the HMO payment with the employee. And, a lot of HMO offered by companies still cover senior citizens - something not offered to individual accounts.

- There are doctors/hospitals discriminate those with HMO cards vs those that have ready cash to pay. Matagal raw magrelease yung ibang mga HMO (usually the smaller ones) kaya affected rin ang treatment ng patients. So these doctors/hospitals prefer those with ready money to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer_babe View Post
    Ako rin, di na rin qualified ang senior citizens ko - should I decide to get my own health card/HMO.

If ever qualified ang senior citizens sa HMO, the premiums can quite expensive.

So how do I handle it? I decided to put up a huge emergency fund in the bank - sa savings account/time deposit. My senior parents have also money in the bank, kaya dagdag na rin yung sa akin.

-------------------

Not long ago I have been researching feedback about health card, but I decided not to get one as an individual (I work as a freelancer, self-employed). I was able to gather this general impression:

- Health card packages are better availed as an employee and the company offers it. Mas maganda kasi ang deals na offered sa mga corporate kaysa sa individuals. Some companies split part of the HMO payment with the employee. And, a lot of HMO offered by companies still cover senior citizens - something not offered to individual accounts.

- There are doctors/hospitals discriminate those with HMO cards vs those that have ready cash to pay. Matagal raw magrelease yung ibang mga HMO (usually the smaller ones) kaya affected rin ang treatment ng patients. So these doctors/hospitals prefer those with ready money to pay.

But those with HMO cards qualify for a discount, right? Because they have MOA's with the hospitals. Then, Philhealth will also help in minimizing the straight-out-of pocket expenses.

So I think, during our productive years, it is prudent to start building up our personal heath care account, a Philhealth account and lots of cash for old-age healthcare needs.

Quote Originally Posted by pisomatters View Post
    But those with HMO cards qualify for a discount, right? Because they have MOA's with the hospitals. Then, Philhealth will also help in minimizing the straight-out-of pocket expenses.

So I think, during our productive years, it is prudent to start building up our personal heath care account, a Philhealth account and lots of cash for old-age healthcare needs.
    I'm not sure with the discount (all HMO's offer such discount ba?). Even then I'm more worried about the service I will be getting more than getting any discount. I'm not reading any good reviews from HMO's except for those who had availed it from their employers. Besides, not everything is covered so there's the risk that I might be paying more - not all HMO's cover sickness and outpatient therapies (the therapies could be expensive).

The observations I have gathered above was from reading feedback across the web - usually from the other forums, and from blogs too.

I have a Philhealth account. I used it when my dad suffered stroke. Since my dad is a senior, he got qualified for a senior citizen's discount. The remaining bill was paid in cash.

But I agree with you, we should start saving up enough for old age.

Lucky for me, since my parents are still within the insurable age for an HMO coverage.
    And they still falls under the dependent category, since I am still single.

Also, they have their own life insurance and pension plans.
    Everything seems ok.
    They also have memorial plans.

Proud ako sa kanila, kasi napaghandaan nila talaga.
    Sobrang fan sila na insurances from educational, to memorial.

you are lucky to have parents who save and more importantly, care for their health. my parents are neither.

i hope alagaan nilang mabuti ang sarili nila. handa naman tumulong ang mga anak nila, pero mas maganda kung tinutulungan din nila ang sarili nila.
    my siblings and i are starting to put up an emergency fund.

My mom is 65 years old and I got her Blue Cross Health Insurance for in-patient services only.

Php 10k a year and coverage is Php500k. This is the cheapest package (ward) but if we want to upgrade to a private room, the extra cost will be for personal expense. I like Blue Cross since Asian Hospital is accredited with them.
    Last edited by Lolita; Jun 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: edit grammar

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer_babe View Post
    I have a totally different experience with my HMO when I was still an employee of a multinational company. I feel like the doctors and nurses (especially sa ER) ALWAYS RECOMMEND that confinement is required dahil feeling nila hindi naman ako ang magbabayad because I have HMO and it wouldn't and shouldn't be a problem for me kung ma-confine daughter ko. When you enter the ER kasi they ask immediately if meron kang Health Card.

Hindi ko naman na-feel yung discrimination, na-feel ko yung atat sila na i-confine ka.

For me, I will get health insurance even if I have a large buffer/emergency fund. You wouldn't know what sickness or disease will hit you. Even if I have more than a million in the bank, ubos pa rin yan if ever I or someone I love will be diagnosed with a dreaded disease like cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    My mom is 65 years old and I got her Blue Cross Health Insurance for in-patient services only.

Php 10k a year and coverage is Php500k. This is the cheapest package (ward) but if we want to upgrade to a private room, the extra cost will be for personal expense. I like Blue Cross since Asian Hospital is accredited with them.
    may kilala ka ba na naka avail na ng benefits sa blue cross? i mean are they really paying o sangkatutak na pahirap ang dadanasin mo para maka claim?

Quote Originally Posted by tentay08 View Post
    may kilala ka ba na naka avail na ng benefits sa blue cross? i mean are they really paying o sangkatutak na pahirap ang dadanasin mo para maka claim?
    Blue Cross is a huge multinational HMO .

can I get the number for Blue Cross ?

What does inpatient services covers ? Does it include laboratory test and confinement ? Also the 500 k is the total coverage for the whole year regardless kung ano disease n adiagnosed yung patient ? Am I right po ?

10k a year? IS THIS THE PREMIUM YOU PAY FOR THE HMO AND YOU GET 500k WARD COVERAGE?! What about outpatient and ambulatory services what happens to those?

I got my mom a Fortune Care Senior Citizens HMO a year ago. I pay like 22k a year for 60k WARD coverage. The first year was a nightmare because of the contestability period. Now on the second year hopefully not too chaotic. Still not covered to the likes of TMC, SLMC, Asian, CSMC, and MMC though.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkTalk01 View Post
    10k a year? IS THIS THE PREMIUM YOU PAY FOR THE HMO AND YOU GET 500k WARD COVERAGE?! What about outpatient and ambulatory services what happens to those?
    Quote Originally Posted by TalkTalk01 View Post

I got my mom a Fortune Care Senior Citizens HMO a year ago. I pay like 22k a year for 60k WARD coverage. The first year was a nightmare because of the contestability period. Now on the second year hopefully not too chaotic. Still not covered to the likes of TMC, SLMC, Asian, CSMC, and MMC though.

This is absolutely appalling and a total rip off !

You might want to reconsider your senior citizens HMO coverage .

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha27 View Post
    [B]

I'm thinking of that as now my mom is a beneficiary of my sisters company HMO. But at some point it will be hard if I get rid of Fortune Care as if my sister resigns, Intellicare will go as well.

16. Advertisement

[B]

I'm thinking of that as now my mom is a beneficiary of my sisters company HMO. But at some point it will be hard if I get rid of Fortune Care as if my sister resigns, Intellicare will go as well.

Terminated my mom's Fortune Care. They're a big f*cked up company. Other than Blue Cross any other HMOs offering senior citizen packages without any hassle?

@ taltalk01

What happened ?

This thread is interesting! I made a research about Bluecross. I tried to get a quote for my dad who is already 72 years old. Still healthy and strong but I want to be prepared for the future.

I got a quote for their Premier plan for P38k+ a year for a 500k Coverage. Not bad! Will try very hard to get this next year for him!

@ taltalk01

What happened ?
    Upon proper deliberation of the cost versus what they will cover, YES I was apparently ripped off. To add, they always send me a letter stating that the doctor that we went to should have not been covered by the card therefore needs to be collected separately. THEY APPROVED OF THE L-O-A IN THE FIRST PLACE THUS THEY SHOULD KNOW IF ITS COVERED OR NOT, right?

My mom is now covered under my sister's Intellicare. Though it will all stop once she hits 70 and The Medical City is not covered, at least she can get ALL the tests that the doctors need for her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by earthshake View Post
    This thread is interesting! I made a research about Bluecross. I tried to get a quote for my dad who is already 72 years old. Still healthy and strong but I want to be prepared for the future.

I got a quote for their Premier plan for P38k+ a year for a 500k Coverage. Not bad! Will try very hard to get this next year for him!
    Give us feedback once you got the cover, ayt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast