I Am The Only Catholic In the Family | Realm of Thought | PinoyExchange

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... Last

I Am The Only Catholic In the Family

I was baptized and grew up Catholic -- Going to church on Sundays, fasting during lent, etc. Basically, my family practice what normal Catholic does.

Until I went to Manila to work and while I was at the city, I found out that my family change religion. My mom and my sisters are now born again Christians. I really have no problem with it however every time I go home to the province it feels weird going to church (which used to be a family thing) alone.

I really don't want to get converted, however my Mom started introducing me to their church by having bible studies at home when I am there, she also introduced me to their pastor, and sometimes she quotes the bible when we have dinner.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Last edited by orange96; Mar 21, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Sorry, I come from a pretty devoutly Catholic family.

Thats what happens when people GROW APART.

Well give it a shot. Maybe youll like it too.

-----
    If you are still more comfortable being catholic then just keep quiet. Your loved ones are still freshly overzealous converts. opposing them to their faces isnt worth the conflict it would create. if you cant stand their new religion then just move out and avoid your family entirely.

My own advice would be to study, pray and follow your heart. It doesn't seem as if they're trying to force you anyway so to each, his own.

On a side-note, how does Born Again theology differ from Catholic theology anyway?

XIII, i wish i can answer that. But from what I see, they have more activities, they have prayer meetings, then they will go to each other's houses and conduct a bible study there, my sister has a group in the church where she is the president and they reflect on scriptures, their service is longer from what i observe, those kind of things.

Sup.

Hm, I dunno if this is what happened but I have heard that part of the pull that other Christian denominations have over Catholicism is this sense of involvement and community that other groups seem to provide.

I'm no expert though and I do come from a family with a lot of Church involvement (prayer meetings, seminars, choirs, mass services, etc, etc) so my experience doesn't tack with that perception.

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    Hm, I dunno if this is what happened but I have heard that part of the pull that other Christian denominations have over Catholicism is this sense of involvement and community that other groups seem to provide.
    it sure was in my experience.

On the assumption that the Bible is fountain of wisdom, there has to be an answer there of the question on how to treat family members who are of different religion. I don't have to point it out to you, hehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by orange96 View Post
    I was baptized and grew up Catholic -- Going to church on Sundays, fasting during lent, etc. Basically, my family practice what normal Catholic does.

Until I went to Manila to work and while I was at the city, I found out that my family change religion. My mom and my sisters are now born again Christians. I really have no problem with it however every time I go home to the province it feels weird going to church (which used to be a family thing) alone.

That is one of the problems of the Catholic Church and her members. We are like the Jews of the ancient times, we go to mass but don't have a good appreciation why it is necessary for us to go. We say our prayers but most of the time our prayers are for worldly petitions, we forget to give God adoration and thanksgiving. We forget to pray for our own conversion and the conversion of others, we forget to go to confession because we don't want to humble ourselves. We receive the communion unworthily and expect to have spiritual and physical healing. Catholics just go with the motion without understanding their faith.

We were in the opposite position. I was the one who became born again and the rest of my family remained Catholic. I tried to convert them and had debates with my sister.

I really don't want to get converted, however my Mom started introducing me to their church by having bible studies at home when I am there, she also introduced me to their pastor, and sometimes she quotes the bible when we have dinner.
    Why don't you want to be converted? Is it because you are afraid of change? Is it because you are comfortable with what you know and the practices that you do? Or is it because you are sure that your belief is biblical and apostolic and historical?

Let's stop and talk awhile. tonton's Avatar

Kawawa ka naman. If you don't want to convert, study your own religion so you have reason to believe why it is true. Pero kung gusto mong manatiling maging katoliko dahil trip mo lang at wala kang kaalam alam, eh hayaan mo na ang inamong pakainin ka ng bible verses tuwing hapunan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    We say our prayers but most of the time our prayers are for worldly petitions, we forget to give God adoration and thanksgiving. We forget to pray for our own conversion and the conversion of others, we forget to go to confession because we don't want to humble ourselves.
    really, how can you pray for anything at all when what catholics mostly do is RECITE prayers like a robot.

Let's stop and talk awhile. tonton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sophion View Post
    really, how can you pray for anything at all when all catholics do is RECITE prayers like a robot.
    It is believed to please the trinity.

I think Orange96 has two options:

a. Stay in Catholicism and be with Jesus but without your family in heaven and feel the pang of guilt as the rest of your family fry in hell.

b. Stay with your family wherever they are, be it in heaven or in hell. If you are all in hell, at least you can console each other and treat each other's burns.

^ logically, orange96 should join her family and convert. since catholics believe that the born again christians can go to heaven anyway.
    she gets to have fun with her family and ultimately join the pope in heaven. its a win - win situation.

^ logically, orange96 should join her family and convert. since catholics believe that the born again christians can go to heaven anyway.
    she gets to have fun with her family and ultimately join the pope in heaven. its a win - win situation.
    I could agree with this. The RCC indeed allows the possibility of other religionists to enter the Catholic heaven. That is very generous of them. In fact, even atheists have the possibility. That is so unlike the Born Agains and the INCs who assert that only those within the fold can enter heaven. In that case, Sophion's advice makes more sense and you should join the Born Again (they have a better music band there, by the way).

really, how can you pray for anything at all when what catholics mostly do is RECITE prayers like a robot.
    Because I don't pray like a robot.

Again that is the problem with Catholics who go with the motion without understanding the real teaching of the Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    Because I don't pray like a robot.

Again that is the problem with Catholics who go with the motion without understanding the real teaching of the Church.
    so you what, ...."internalize" every word in that rosary?

man, they need more priests out there. are you great for this career or what?

so you what, ...."internalize" every word in that rosary?
    It is called meditation.

man, they need more priests out there. are you great for this career or what?
    Not just priests but priest who are true to their calling and lay people who are properly catechized and most important are parents who will in turn catechized their children. I think the church should invest more time in catechizing high schoolers, since this is the time when teenagers are more open to instructions and the time they have more meaningful questions.

I already discerned priesthood a long time ago and it is not for me. But I am thinking of becoming a deacon. But what is discouraging me is that to be a deacon requires 4 years of theology and I don't want to go back to school.

Konti pa lang responses dito sa thread and yet already many generalizations about the Catholic faith. Just because many Catholics do not do certain things, does not mean yun na ang teaching ng Church or that it is never done at all. Some responses also come out of ignorance. Not necessarily bad because the Church has its faults. But better not to judge too quickly.

Catholics also have a sense of community. Sometimes in the parish, sometimes trans-parochial. Catholics also have bible studies, prayer meetings, worship, formation and the like. You just have to find the right group who engage in such and that will lead you to the Lord. Ang laki ng Catholic Church. Many groups exist and they are called for many varied reasons as well. Seek out the one where you seem to be called to, whether in the parish or outside.

I am Catholic. And I don't mind those who leave for other denominations if the reason is because that is where they found the Lord.

What I believe is insufficient is if you leave the Church because of reasons like:
    the other group has good speakers
    their music is livelier
    andun ang friends ko
    at least may bible study dun
    etc

Pray like robots? Please. Not too quick.

Delikado yang mga born again groups na yan, from my experience iba iba ang pinagtuturo ng mga pastor nyan. Dahil na din siguro hindi talaga organized.

May alam ako as young as 10years old eh pinagpa-fasting - kapag daw may hinihiling kay Lord.
    Meron yun tipong bawal sumayaw ang bata ng gangnam style o makinig ng Lady Gaga songs.
    Bawal mag-collect ng hello kitty items, pinasunog pa nga eh.
    Meron kaya daw laging meron may sakit sa pamilya kasi nga sumisimba pa rin sa Catholic church.

etc etc

Delikado yan, orange96. Obserbahan mo ang pamilya mo.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... Last