PEx Highlights

An FEU-NU Matchup in the UAAP Finals?

Well, you guys were calling for an FEU-NU matchup and we wrote about it! Check out our article about a potential Tamaraws-Bulldogs matchup in the UAAP Finals.

read more

PROMO: Gone Girl

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Gone Girl!

read more

UP StatSoc Goes Infinite!

Come and join UP StatSoc in celebrating their 33rd Anniversary on September 22 to 27!

read more

REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

The Legend Ends is a totally epic conclusion to a heroic tale.

read more

Top TV Shows!

Find out the top 5 TV shows in the Showbiz forums here!

read more

PHOTOS: La Salle Extends Series vs FEU

Jeron Teng and the DLSU Green Archers had no problems defeating the FEU Tamaraws on Saturday, 94-73.

read more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Post Internationally Recognized Schools in Philippines

1) Do you guys know any College Universities that are recognized internationally specially in US?

Another question..

2) Any good international schools in Philippines?

Mapua institute of technology! ABET Accredited.

Is this more of technical or in terms of academic prestige?

If youre referring to the technical aspect, where graduates of Pinas can work legally and eventually earn immigrant status and citizenship,

it will depend on the course, kasi its their department of Labor (US)

which determines which fields have shortage of manpower, then gives that list of professions to the immigration, and in return determines the number of visas to be released for those careers which needed filling up.

So far, PT,OT, Med Tech, ang nasa list ng mga work na may available working visas,

nursing is still closed, and unfortunately, may remain that way na, since a lot of Americans have discovered nursing offer the secured jobs and good pay they want.

They also realize, nursing is not as hard as they thought, light lang ang work ng nursing (as to physical demand), kasi may nurse assistants naman to do the hard work.

In other words, nursing kasi is getting filled up rapidly, which is why the demand decreased.

now going to your question, technically, it is regardless. So long as the Phil institutes are compliant to the curriculum requirement of the US, they will be honored.

Mataas ang requirement ng PRC at CHED, kaya tumutugma sa curriculum din ng US, minsan sobra pa nga tayo sa units.

It just depends now on the particular student if he can pass the English proficiency tests and the US counterpart of his licensure exams.

So kung technicality ang paguusapan, to which the US would grant a visa? to a Pol Sci graduate of Ateneo or to a PT grad of a Provincial Kabote College,

unfortunately, it would be the Provincial Kabote graduate who would be issued the working visa. kasi dun may need.

if Academic prestige, it would still be Ateneo, La Salle, UP and UST,

yung mga grads kasi nila na na me meet namin dito ang nag ma masters or doctorate sa mga kilalang Universities dito sa US.

pag sa pinoy gatherings, like kunwari anak ng matanda ng PT,

Dad: ito si Michael, anak ko nasa Duke ngayon, nagmamasters,

Me: ano pa kinukuha?

Dad: economics, yun kasi tinapos nya sa Ateneo,

me: wow! single pa po sya? immigrant na po kasi ako. joke!

^^^Internationally recognized schools in PH? To tell you honestly, our top schools here did not even make it to the top 100 in the world rankings.Better research on your own, some of the posts were brought up because of pride & hype(my-school-is-part-of-the-big-4), like the one posted above. you know what i mean?

Now, if you want bases, check on the articles if a PH school made it to the top20 or top 50. Then, it will answer your question.

I think this link from the US Embassy in the Philippines will help you: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha011.html

It lists Brent IS, British School Manila, IS Manila, UP, ADMU, DLSU, UST, AIM, and UA&P as some of the educational institutions popular with expats.

TS, your question is bit broad and can be answered differently.

1. If you're asking if there are Philippine universities that are popular, well-known and considered prestigious internationally, my answer would be yes. These are UP, DLSU, UST and AdMU. However, their prestige is only limited to the educated circles, and is confined in Southeast Asia. When you go further than those countries, their prestige diminishes. There is no Philippine school that is considered prestgious in Europe, Africa, Australia, North America, South America, and even in the Middle East, South Asia and East Asia.

2. If you're actually asking which Philippine university whose degree programs considered acceptable to other countries' standards, quality, rigor, or as prestigious as their own, the answer is, UP. In other words, only a UP degree is acceptable as a real, genuine degree qualification in other countries (USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.) For example, if you plan to take up a grad degree at say, U of Melbourne with your FEU undergrad degree, you will not be accepted, because FEU, to their measure, is substandard. Normally, Melbourne will ask you to finish a master's degree program before they will allow you to even apply to their master's program. However, if your undergraduate degree come from UP, your application will be allowed, but admissions aren't guaranteed. You still have to go through the whole nine yards of the very rigid application process of Melbourne.

Now, there are exceptions to this. Some undergrad programs at some schools that they call, "honors programs" are sometimes considered academically on par with their own standards, so they give access to those graduates to their grad level course works. Some schools have also agreements with other foreign universities, making their degree qualifications acceptable to both schools.

For your second question, a lot of schools in the Philippines are actually as rigorous as those considered good schools abroad. For example, although the University of San Carlos in Cebu isn't highly recognized outside of the Philippines, or even in the Philippines where it is located, it actually is a fantastic university offering top teaching standard. The rigor and quality of education at San Carlos is on par with those schools' you have heard of. And, like I said, San Carlos is just one of the many schools in the Philippines I can honestly say are as good as those internationally-located schools that you have heard of. The rest are:

UP (all campuses)
    DLSU
    AdMU
    UST
    UA&P
    DLS-College of St. Benilde
    Velez College - Cebu
    U of St. La Salle - Bacolod
    Silliman University - Dumaguete
    MSU - Iligan
    Xavier University - CdO
    Ateneo de Davao

Quote Originally Posted by arkheM View Post
    2. If you're actually asking which Philippine university whose degree programs considered acceptable to other countries' standards, quality, rigor, or as prestigious as their own, the answer is, UP. In other words, only a UP degree is acceptable as a real, genuine degree qualification in other countries (USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.) For example, if you plan to take up a grad degree at say, U of Melbourne with your FEU undergrad degree, you will not be accepted, because FEU, to their measure, is substandard. Normally, Melbourne will ask you to finish a master's degree program before they will allow you to even apply to their master's program. However, if your undergraduate degree come from UP, your application will be allowed, but admissions aren't guaranteed. You still have to go through the whole nine yards of the very rigid application process of Melbourne.
    I don't know if this has changed now. Maybe the new moderator, Hunter, can she light on this as he's now a grad student at one of the best unis in England, so his knowledge about this is more current than mine.

Nasa England ba si Hunter?
    Sosyal.

Re. Sa post grad,
    I can only speak for the
    Medical-Allied Med course of FEU since sa kanila ko may first hand experience and exposure.

FEU allied health grads are readily accepted in US universities as some have completed or cont taking up their Docotorate and masters in US universities and we
    Have some schoolmates
    Who pursue their masters in health related courses at Harvard, and NYU.

I think the US is more
    Lenient in recognizing Phil. Schools and education than anywhere.

Canada is mores stern as graduates of even the most
    Prestigious universities in the Phil are reduced to associate's degree level.

Quote Originally Posted by arkheM View Post
    I don't know if this has changed now. Maybe the new moderator, Hunter, can she light on this as he's now a grad student at one of the best unis in England, so his knowledge about this is more current than mine.
    I think it has changed now. Apart from a UP degree, I believe UK unis now recognize degrees from ADMU, DLSU, and UST.

I know someone who got a full scholarship at the University of East Anglia with a bachelor's degree from Ateneo. In my case, I have an undergrad degree from UST and 36 units of Master's from DLSU when I was awarded a scholarship by Newcastle University. I suppose rankings provided by QS have somewhat changed their perception of Philippine universities.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkilove View Post
    Nasa England ba si Hunter?
    Sosyal.
    Hindi naman, nikkilove. Sinwerte lang.

Modest naman ni huntie.
    UP ka pala Hunter. I could swear
    You never posted anything about UP, parang mas nag give ka pa ng compliments sa ibang schools.

Napuntahan mo na yung Harry Potter dyan? Galing naman.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkilove View Post
    Modest naman ni huntie.
    UP ka pala Hunter. I could swear
    You never posted anything about UP, parang mas nag give ka pa ng compliments sa ibang schools.

Napuntahan mo na yung Harry Potter dyan? Galing naman.
    Mam, have you been hitting the bottle? He clearly said he earned his undergrad degree at UST, not UP. He also earned the respect of the students and alumni of UP, DLSU and AdMU. So, my notion that school prestige has any bearing to job application is predominantly confined in banking and financial world. Outside of those areas, there's very little between the Big 3 and those schools ranked just behind them.

, Sorry, driving while Pexing.

Medyo nawindang ako sa'yo, Nikki.

Oh, and to further support my claim (and not to brag or anything) that UK institutions now recognize other Philippine universities aside from UP, my UST and DLSU qualifications also earned me an unconditional offer of a place at other Russell-group member unis--Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Warwick, and York. So, Arkhem, yes, I think the times have changed (which I believe is for the better). This will allow more Pinoys to pursue their postgrad degrees in the UK.

16. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_alchemst View Post

Oh, and to further support my claim (and not to brag or anything) that UK institutions now recognize other Philippine universities aside from UP, my UST and DLSU qualifications also earned me an unconditional offer of a place at other Russell-group member unis--Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Warwick, and York. So, Arkhem, yes, I think the times have changed (which I believe is for the better). This will allow more Pinoys to pursue their postgrad degrees in the UK.
    That's good to know. I hope to see more Philippine schools getting recognized abroad.

Hunter, if you have time to do it, kindly inquire in your university if they do accept applicants from a Philippine university with merely undergrad qualification. I was reckoning that the reason why you were qualified is because you do have 36 units of master's level courses. I remember I helped out a lady from Miriam College (just a couple of years ago) to apply to Sheffield, but Sheffield asked her for a master's level qualification to augment her lack of the required number of years of studying. Sheffield reasoned that the preparatory years for college in the Philippines are lacking. The same reason was heard from Bath, Nottingham, Lancaster and Bradford.

BTW, congrats on your Warwick offer, but I feel sad you didn't take it. Anyhow, Newcastle is fantastic and very well-respected. And the city (without rain) is gorgeous (I've only been there once though).

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_alchemst View Post

sosyal! congrats mod. galing mo naman.

I would behave na from now on, kasi kakahiya naman kay Mod, a Russel group scholar.

Mababait ba sila Hunter, o may mga balahura din, gaya dito sa US,

ay Im sorry, boisterous pala.

Kasi po dito po madami po akong narinig na mga Pilipino na nag-aral dito tapos sa Pilipinas mag-cocollege. I also think that it is also a good choice since I am always homesick dito at nakakapanibago ang diversity ng culture po dito. I live here at San Francisco.. there are lot of immigrants in here.. I really don't want to be influenced by some people. That's why I want to go to college in Philippines instead of here.

wow. ang bait and ang galing naman ni mod hunter.
    kakabasa ko palang nitong thread http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/...d.php?t=559151 parang wala lang nangyari b/w hunter and arkhem. Sana ganito lagi sa Academe.

Mod hunter, if you wouldn't mind, may I ask anong pinag-aaralan mo ngayon diyan? Psychology pa rin?

^ that's ok, it happens. UPians pexers throw but can also take punches. may isa or dalawa lang ang hindi ganyan, yung nagtatanim ng ngitngit at sama ng loob.

pero most naman have EQs as high as their IQs.

i remember my own spat with arkheM, when I called him a troll after he branded FEU a diploma mill.

pero mukhang ok naman na kami ngayon.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast