The Heat (2013) starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy | Movies | PinoyExchange

X

The Heat (2013) starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy

‘The Heat’ Trailer: Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy As Buddy Cops

Even with women in roles typically held by men, the trailer outlines a premise that is similar to many films we’ve seen before. Bullock plays Sarah Ashburn, the methodical, uptight, slightly insecure, straight-shooting detective against McCarthy’s wild, foul-mouthed, loose-cannon with street smarts character, Shannon Mullins. Of course, the pair doesn’t exactly get along after first meeting each other, but are forced to become partners and learn to work together.

However, as we know, the formula can and does work when executed well and admittedly, there are some humorous, even laugh-out-loud moments in the trailer, including a scene where Mullins discovers Ashburn wears spanx in the women’s restroom and a scene where the two accidentally drop a suspect from a balcony while attempting to interrogate him.
    McCarthy and Bullock, who have both made solid comedic turns before, (McCarthy in Bridesmaids earned her an Academy Award nomination, which is rare for a comedic performance) add to the film’s promise, but perhaps even more promising for the film’s potential success is Feig behind the camera. After all, he’s pulled off this type of gender role-reversal before with Bridesmaids, a film featuring a female ensemble that was certainly as raunchy and as funny as many of the films led by male casts in recent years (The Hangover being the most obvious comparison).

We’re bound to see more clips and trailers before The Heat hits theatres, but so far, fans of the buddy cop genre, and of McCarthy and Bullock, will probably like what they see.

The Heat is currently scheduled for an April 5th, 2013 release.

Administrator

Action and Comedy Sizzle in "THE HEAT"

ACTION AND COMEDY SIZZLE IN “THE HEAT”
    via press release

Director Paul Feig reinvigorates the buddy cop genre by pairing Oscar-winner Sandra Bullock and breakout star Melissa McCarthy as law enforcers with wildly different styles in “The Heat.”

Set in Boston, the movie follows Sarah Ashburn (Bullock), a rigid FBI agent forced to team up with Shannon Mullins (McCarthy), a brash undercover Boston street cop to track a ruthless drug lord. Ashburn is a straight-laced, patient, methodical investigator known for her excellence, while Mullins is very short fused and none has ever had a partner or a long time friend. This wildly dysfunctional duo must try to catch this high-powered criminal without killing one another in the process.

Director Feig enthused on Bullock’s and McCarthy’s pairing, “I’m excited about doing a female buddy cop comedy because I can only think of a couple that have come along in the last 20 years and I don’t think they were particularly great. To me, though, I’m not looking at it as two women - it’s just two of the funniest people I know. Melissa, who I’ve worked with and is hilarious, and then Sandy who I’ve always been a fan of who is also hilarious. What I like is they have two different senses of humor and two different styles of comedy and the two complement each other.”

In a genre mostly dominated by men, Feig shares that the pairing is an ideal mix. “Sometimes you come up with these combos in your head and then you put them together and they don’t work at all. But we had a little rehearsal down in Atlanta when Melissa was doing another movie, and the minute they started reading together, I thought, “Okay, this is funny.”Now they’re actuallythe best of friends and onscreen the chemistry between them is great because of this, and they both bring aspects of themselves to each of their characters – they balance each other out great. Sandy’s so funny at playing the uptight nerdy-but-officious person and then Melissa’s character is just all street smarts and brawn and force. I set them loose and then just get to sit behind the monitor and laugh – I’m amazed at what they’re discovering and coming up with,” Feig continues.

Directing the raucous comedy that is “The Heat” has its unwritten rules too according to Feig. “My criteria for comedy is it has to have an emotional core, first and foremost. It also has to have believable characters, even if they’re doing big crazy things or they’re big personalities. It’s not necessarily about jokes – it’s the behavioral aspect of it, and the way they’re reacting off each other. Jokes sometimes land like lead because they just sound very written, but a funny reaction to something makes it funnier. With the Internet and YouTube we’re seeing so much real live comedy just in these videos of people with their friends - that is funnier to us than a very overwritten story. So we have our great script, and although we don’t deviate from it too much, we try to do it in a way where the actorsmake it their own and they’re talking like people do to each other in real life,” shares Feig.

“The Heat” opens June 27 in cinemas nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.

PROMO: The Heat 'Win Advanced Screening Tickets'

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE PROMO

Uptight FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) and foul-mouthed Boston cop Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy) couldn't be more incompatible. But when they join forces to bring down a ruthless drug lord, they become the last thing anyone expected buddies. From Paul Feig, director of "Bridesmaids."

Join the promo and get a chance to be one of the five (5) lucky winners who will win two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT on June 25, 2013 (Tuesday) at Robinsons Galleria Cinema 3. (Two (2) winners in the Form Promo, and three (3) winners in the Thread Promo)

ANSWER THE FORM PROMO
    1. Promo is open to all PinoyExchange members.
    2. Participants should answer the form promo movie question correctly.
    3. Winners will be selected randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    4. Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT on June 25, 2013 (Tuesday) at Robinsons Galleria Cinema 3, courtesy of PinoyExchange.
    5. Winners will be notified via Direct Message. Claiming of tickets will be at the screening venue
      - Two (2) winners of two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT will be selected on Jun 24 (Mon)

ANSWER THE THREAD PROMO
    2. Participants should answer the thread promo movie question correctly.
    3. Winners will be selected randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    4. Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT on June 25, 2013 (Tuesday) at Robinsons Galleria Cinema 3, courtesy of PinoyExchange.
    5. Winners will be notified via Direct Message. Claiming of tickets will be at the screening venue
      - Three (3) winners of two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT will be selected on Jun 24 (Mon)

CLICK THE PROMO PAGE HERE AND JOIN NOW:
    THE HEAT 'WIN ADVANCE SCREENING TICKETS' FORM PROMO

JOIN THE THREAD PROMO:
    THE HEAT 'WIN ADVANCE SCREENING TICKETS' THREAD PROMO

View the Movie Trailer here:
    THE HEAT Movie Trailer
    Read the Movie Review here:
    THE HEAT Movie Review
    Discuss the movie here:
    THE HEAT Movie Thread

IN CINEMAS JUNE 27
    Like us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

PROMO: The Heat 'Win Advanced Screening Tickets' - Full Mechanics

Promo Mechanics:
    2. A thread will be created where a promo question is published. The thread will be created in the PinoyExchange Promo forum as well as in the Movie sub-forum.
    3. Participants should answer the question correctly.
    4. Participants who correctly answered the movie question will qualify for the prizes.
    5. Winners will be selected randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    6. The entry where the number of the row matched the number provided by the randomizer wins.
    7. One (1) promo question will be posted within the duration of the promo.
    8. There will be five (5) winners in total.
    9. Winners will be notified by private message in PinoyExchange, announcement in the promo thread, and through SMS.
    10. The promo will end on June 24, 2013 (Monday) in the movie promo thread.

VIEW FULL MECHANICS

Gab Scardragon strandedstranger's Avatar
    I was able to catch the trailer during the advance screening of The Man of Steel. This is bound to be really funny!

PROMO: The Heat 'Win Advanced Screening Tickets' - Promo Question

PROMO QUESTION:
    Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT on June 25, 2013 (Tuesday) at Robinsons Galleria Cinema 3.

1. Name these actresses and their characters in the movie, THE HEAT? (4 answers)

________________ - ________________
    ________________ - ________________

Three (3) winners of two (2) advance screening tickets to THE HEAT will be selected on Jun 24 (Mon)

Join the promo and answer the question here

Sandra Bullock - Agent Sarah Ashburn
    Melissa McCarthy - Detective Shannon Mullins

akala ko sandra bullock will return as FBI's Gracie hart (miss congeniality) hehehe

Administrator
    Just got home from the press screening and some thoughts (full review on Thursday when it opens locally)

It didn't start well because it felt uninspired as Melissa was once again playing an obnoxious, foul-mouthed lady that whenever she curses (which was almost every line she had in the beginning) it's so annoying already. Bullock's character was quite bland and felt like Sandra was just phoning it in. But when the two had scenes together well it got really better and funnier! Sandra and Melissa play off each other VERY well! It was so fun to watch them banter and do some silly stuff together. The story got interesting as it progresses as well as the case they're working on had some real danger on it and you'd be surprised how violent it is (and not just in the comedic way). In fact, this is bloodier than World War Z! I also think the movie did a good job humanizing both Sandra's and Melissa's characters and just like in Identity Thief, Melissa can do touches of drama so I hope she'll have projects that can showcase that she can play a character other than the aggressive big lady with a foul mouth. Sandra Bullock is so charming and she can do physical comedy really well

There's still some cheap humor in it and some unnecessary scenes (the choking scene should have been cut IMO) but mostly it worked thanks to the leads.
    Last edited by forg; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

I was just laughing the whole time. hahahahaha

Administrator
    Here's my full review of the movie

Now showing

I prefer the Robert De Niro-Al Pacino version.

PROMO: The Heat 'Win Mirror, Shot Glass & Playing Card Set'

Uptight FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) and foul-mouthed Boston cop Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy) couldn't be more incompatible. But when they join forces to bring down a ruthless drug lord, they become the last thing anyone expected buddies. From Paul Feig, director of "Bridesmaids."

Join the promo and get a chance to be one of the five (5) lucky winners of a goody bag consisting of THE HEAT premium items (Police badge compact mirror, shot glasses & Playing card set).

CLICK THE PROMO PAGE HERE AND JOIN NOW:
    THE HEAT 'WIN MIRROR, SHOT GLASS & PLAYING CARD SET' FORM PROMO

View the Movie Trailer here:
    THE HEAT Movie Trailer
    Read the Movie Review here:
    THE HEAT Movie Review
    Discuss the movie here:
    THE HEAT Movie Thread

IN CINEMAS JUNE 27
    Like us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

PROMO: The Heat 'Win Mirror, Shot Glass & Playing Card Set' - Full Mechanics

Promo Mechanics:
    2. A thread will be created where a promo question is published. The thread will be created in the PinoyExchange Promo forum as well as in the Movie sub-forum.
    3. Participants should answer the question correctly.
    4. Participants who correctly answered the movie question will qualify for the prizes.
    5. Winners will be selected randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    6. The entry where the number of the row matched the number provided by the randomizer wins.
    7. One (1) promo question will be posted within the duration of the promo.
    8. There will be five (5) winners in total.
    9. Winners will be notified by private message in PinoyExchange, announcement in the promo thread, and through SMS.
    10. The promo will end on July 12, 2013 (Friday) in the movie promo thread.

VIEW FULL MECHANICS

The Heat (2013)

Rating: 7/10

Hmmmm... I can't decide, I'll watch this movie if some friends are gonna watch it too.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterVader View Post
    I prefer the Robert De Niro-Al Pacino version.
    +1! I just watched that film again last week. Pareho nga sila ng title
    Hopefully, this will be shown here this weekend. Sana lang it'll make me laugh a lot.