PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

PBA: Still 'Liga ng Bayan' after 40 Years

We list down ten compelling reasons, on why the PBA has remained relevant to Filipinos today since its inception in 1975.

read more

Solo Backpackers: Get Up and Go!

Planning to escape the rigors of the metro soon? Join the Solo Backpackers thread and get insights and tips from fellow PExers about traveling alone!

read more

PROMO: Interstellar

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Interstellar!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Sun, Oct 19

FINAL

KIA80

Tue, Oct 21

FINAL

NLEX101

Wed, Oct 22

FINAL

Fri, Oct 24

FINAL

07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERRAIN OR SHINE

Sat, Oct 25

05:00 PMLucena CityGINEBRAKIA

Sun, Oct 26

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOGLOBALPORT
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBPUREFOODS

Tue, Oct 28

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCOBLACKWATER
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTALASKA

Wed, Oct 29

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumKIARAIN OR SHINE
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXGINEBRA

Fri, Oct 31

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumALASKAMERALCO
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTPUREFOODS

Sun, Nov 2

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOSMB
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINETALK N TEXT

Tue, Nov 4

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumKIAGLOBALPORT
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABLACKWATER

Wed, Nov 5

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCONLEX
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBALASKA

Fri, Nov 7

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINEBARAKO
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTKIA

Sun, Nov 9

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERGLOBALPORT
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumPUREFOODSGINEBRA

Tue, Nov 11

04:15 PMCuneta AstrodomeKIAALASKA
07:00 PMCuneta AstrodomeMERALCOTALK N TEXT

Wed, Nov 12

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTRAIN OR SHINE
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABARAKO

Fri, Nov 14

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumALASKABLACKWATER
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXPUREFOODS

Sat, Nov 15

05:00 PMDavao CityRAIN OR SHINEMERALCO

Sun, Nov 16

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOKIA
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBGINEBRA

Tue, Nov 18

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERPUREFOODS
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTGLOBALPORT

Wed, Nov 19

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumKIASMB

Fri, Nov 21

04:15 PMYnares Center, AntipoloNLEXBLACKWATER
07:00 PMYnares Center, AntipoloGINEBRAMERALCO

Sat, Nov 22

05:00 PMCagayan de Oro CityALASKAGLOBALPORT

Sun, Nov 23

03:00 PMBinan, LagunaTALK N TEXTBARAKO
05:15 PMBinan, LagunaMERALCOPUREFOODS

Tue, Nov 25

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTSMB
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINENLEX

Wed, Nov 26

04:15 PMYnares Center, AntipoloBARAKOBLACKWATER
07:00 PMYnares Center, AntipoloPUREFOODSKIA

Fri, Nov 28

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBMERALCO

Sun, Nov 30

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABARAKO
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumPUREFOODSRAIN OR SHINE

Tue, Dec 2

04:15 PMMoA ArenaBARAKONLEX
07:00 PMMoA ArenaALASKAGINEBRA

Wed, Dec 3

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCOKIA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTPUREFOODS

Fri, Dec 5

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINEALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBTALK N TEXT

Sat, Dec 6

05:00 PMDipolog CityPUREFOODSBARAKO

Sun, Dec 7

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumKIANLEX
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRARAIN OR SHINE

Tue, Dec 9

04:15 PMCuneta AstrodomeBLACKWATERSMB
07:00 PMCuneta AstrodomeGLOBALPORTMERALCO

View Poll Results: Who is the real Tapal King ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Philip "The Scholar" Cezar

7 36.84%
  • Benjie "Tower of Power" Paras

12 63.16%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PEX VERSUS: Philip Cezar vs Benjie Paras! Who is the real Tapal King ?

Once again, we have pillars of the PBA going head-to-head, Philip "The Scholar" Cezar and the "Tower of Power" Benjie Paras. Considered as one of the best "thinking" forwards in the history of the PBA, Philip Cezar was hence dubbed as "The Scholar" and was known for his grace and finesse unlike power forwards of today who rely on brute strength. The Scholar was also known for his stretch lay-ups, two-handed shot blocks and for beating the one and only Ramon "El Presidente" Fernandez in the finals of the Sprite 1979 One-on-One challenge. He finished his career with as the No. 6 leading scorer with 12,077 points, the fifth all-time best rebounder with 5,834 total rebounds, and No. 2 in shotblocks with 1,370 (hence, earning him the moniker Tapal King). "The Tower of Power" Benjie Paras, on the other hand, wasn't just a basketball player, but an intense force of nature. Paras was known for his amazing ball-handling, powerful rebounding, deft mid-range shooting, well-timed shot blocks and the uncanny ability for inside scoring. As a plus, he not only won Rookie of the Year, but also took home the Most Valuable Player award in the same year, the only PBA player to be able to do so. Paras played in a total of 574 games in his career, ending with 10,322 points, 4,402 rebounds, 1,822 assists, 1,323 blocks and 221 steals. Between these two icons of Philippine Basketball, who is indeed the one and only Tapal King?

Photos from GMA and Video 48

Itatawid, ihahatid kita.. popsky's Avatar
    Shot blocker ba si Paras? Bakit hindi si Jerry?

I share the same thoughts. pops. If I'm not mistaken, Jerry was also dubbed as Tapal King in the early 90s when he recorded 11 (or 10?) blocks in a game.

Siguro dahil Benjie is 3rd in the all-time blocks list, ahead of Jerry na nasa #4. Ngayon ko nga lang nalaman yan, so underrated na shotblocker pala ito si Paras.

Itatawid, ihahatid kita.. popsky's Avatar
    Hindi ko rin alam yan, isipin mo ahead pala siya kay Jerry. Sa pagkakatanda ko 11 ang record ni Jerry, tabla yata sa record ng most in a game.

ako rin di ko maalalang shot blocker si paras, mas sikat si defense minister, although there was a sequence during the fil-am domination pinalpal niya si taulava at andy seigle in one play

pero napulot ko lang sa net

Benjie Paras Career Stats Average:

18.0 PPG
    7.7 RPG
    3.2 APG
    2.3 BPG
    0.4 SG

Jerry Codinera Career Stats Average:
    17 season, 871 games, 12.5 ppg., 8.1 rpg., 1.4 bp

Paras is a shotblocker, foul-prone nga lang =).

Paras gets my vote.

All-time favorite player ko to =)

Si Cezar hindi ko inabot *** kalakasan nya.
    Si Jerry, magaling talaga sa depensa.

Yes, for the benefit of the younger fans, Benjie Paras has always been known as a shotblocking mastadon. And we can date this back all the way from 1983 when he was still a high school sophomore for the San Beda Red Cubs. When he played for UP, Paras was so athletically-gifted and physically-conditioned that he ran after every single shot taken by the opponent in an effort to swap all these. He continued doing so in his younger years in the PBA which is why he became the most dominant center of his time.

When Paras lost interest in his basketball career after failing to move to Ginebra under Robert Jaworski, his game spiralled a bit, allowing Jerry Codinera to become the top center of the league. This was also the time when Paras dabbled into showbusiness, appearing in several films before coming out with his own solo starrer, Dunkin Donato.

Yet, Paras remained to be a fierce shotblocker. Codinera was the more cerebral player - using his timing more than his strength. Paras was the opposite - he used his strength more which also led to him becoming more foul-prone. But he was a more effective shot blocker than Codinera owing to his ability to take on all comers. And these include the Fil-Fors of 1999 that included Asi Taulava, Eric Menk, Sonny Alvarado, Andy Seigle, among others.

Regarding the topic, these are two of my most favorite players. Matter of fact, they're part of my Top 5 favorites of all time. I'd take it as a tie, because during Cezar's time in the 70's up to the late 80's, there was no feared shotblocker in the league than The Scholar. Even imports got the shock of their lives when they see their shot being swat away by a reed-thin Cezar - arguably, the most cerebral player in PBA history.

Benjie Paras, the tower of power! siya naabutan ko e.

even the centers we have today can't match benjie's tenacity on both ends of the court during his heyday.

Benjie is a better shot blocker than Jerry,
    Jerry is more of a position defender. Post defender.
    Benjie is a high leaping defender that swat shots and a very good help defender too, blocking the slashing offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by chaitotek View Post
    Benjie is a better shot blocker than Jerry,
    Jerry is more of a position defender. Post defender.
    Benjie is a high leaping defender that swat shots and a very good help defender too, blocking the slashing offensive players.
    Agreed with this post.

Also, maski nabansagan na tamad, Marlou Aquino was a good shot blocker. Naalala ko before unang laro ni Erik Menk sa PBA.. nag drive against Marlou... "BUTATA!" Welcome to the PBA!

In my opinion we can't compare the two players. Cezar was I think in his 15th year as a PBA player when Paras stormed the league. Based with reflexes Paras has an edge over Cezar because Benjie was much younger than Philip. But, if you will compare their stats during the prime of Cezar, the Scholar has an edge.

Philip who stands between 6'2 and 6'3 can blocked shots coming from a much taller and wide bodied import. Paras, can do it as well because of his height and with the height limit of imports. Majority of local players who are more than 6'5 in height are slow and their shot can easily be blocked.

I give my vote to Philip because of his timing and finesse in shot blocking.

I voted for Philip Cezar. Dito talaga nahirapan si Mon Fernandez. And his timing in swatting those shots is truly a gem!

Philip Cezar. enough said.

What makes Philip Cezar's block so intimidating is that he does this against his man, employing the two-handed umbrella defense when the ball is still just being released from the shooter's hands. You know this is a very difficult block to do because there's greater risk of committing arm or body contact against the defender - yet - Cezar has mastered this art.

Getting blocked can be ego-pricking, especially in this country of basketball fans, but moreso if done the Philip Cezar way. Incredibly imposing, very debilitating...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    What makes Philip Cezar's block so intimidating is that he does this against his man, employing the two-handed umbrella defense when the ball is still just being released from the shooter's hands. You know this is a very difficult block to do because there's greater risk of committing arm or body contact against the defender - yet - Cezar has mastered this art.

Getting blocked can be ego-pricking, especially in this country of basketball fans, but moreso if done the Philip Cezar way. Incredibly imposing, very debilitating...
    Sir JPM, just want to clarify, medyo di ko na rin maalala....dati meron pong PBA one-on-one game every halftime? Si Philip Cezar po yata ang nanalo nun against Mon Fernandez. mga what year po kaya iyon? sensya na po, at medyo OT?

16. Advertisement

1979 if I recall it correctly. That was the Sprite One-On-One competitions. In 1982, another competition was held and I believe was won by Fernandez over Rey Lazaro in the 6'0 and above class while Willie Generalao defeated Frankie Lim in the below 6'0 category. This one, I believe, was sponsored by Shakey's.

1979 if I recall it correctly. That was the Sprite One-On-One competitions. In 1982, another competition was held and I believe was won by Fernandez over Rey Lazaro in the 6'0 and above class while Willie Generalao defeated Frankie Lim in the below 6'0 category. This one, I believe, was sponsored by Shakey's.
    Thanks for the clarification, sir JPM!

Quote Originally Posted by taj17 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, sir JPM!
    No problem Taj. Actually, you were correct. Cezar was declared "King of the Hardcourt" when he defeated Fernandez, 20-17 (if I recall correctly) in that one-on-one game.

Sidelight of that one-on-one competition was a similar game featuring two buxom actresses in Vivian Velez and Lotis Key. Velez was coached by Atoy Co while Key was mentored by Robert Jaworski. Velez used her height, body and moves (hope she could have done that to me also! ) to defeat Key by a rout.

I hope the PBA can stage another one-on-one mini-tournament, with its championship game culminating in the All-Star weekend. Medyo stale na rin ang ibang sidelights natin sa All-Star.

RF over Lazaro ba nung 1982?

Napanood ko Abe King winning over Mon Fernandez. Hindi ba championship yun?

up to now akala ko Finals na yun. di ba knockout format yun ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast