PEx Highlights

FEATURE: Top UAAP Stories in 2014

We take a look back to reflect and celebrate the best stories in the UAAP that happened in the past year.

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

GALLERY: PBA Philippine Cup Semi-finals

Check out photos from each game of the PBA Philippine Cup Semi-finals here!

read more

PEx Christmas: The PBA Christmas Wishlist

'tis the season of gifts and wishlists! JPM plays Santa's consultant and lists down the best Christmas gift for each PBA team.

read more

REVIEW: Laggies

If Laggies was an animal, it will be an old turtle -- slow, old and boring. Read our full review here.

read more

The Best of 2014: PExers Choice Awards

The results are finally here! Find out who won the hearts of the PinoyExchange community in The Best of 2014: PExers Choice Awards!

read more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by negrongIsko View Post
    Magandang ideya iyan tonton. Ang tanong papayag po kaya si Ateo?

Thanks, Tonton, for your kind words. Actually, I get more thank-you notes by PM from PExers in the other board, "What's Up, Doc", where I am giving advices on sexual health (HIV, STD, contraception, etc.). There are a lot of anxieties there; so, after they have relieved their anxieties, some PMed me saying that sayang I am so far away they would have wanted to ask me out for drinks and conversation. I said, "no problem, nakalista lahat yan, sisingilin ko lahat na drinks offer na yan at the right time when I am on vacation." I think idagdag ko na lang sa listahan si Isko, hehehe.

Let's stop and talk awhile. tonton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateo View Post
    Thanks, Tonton, for your kind words. Actually, I get more thank-you notes by PM from PExers in the other board, "What's Up, Doc", where I am giving advices on sexual health (HIV, STD, contraception, etc.). There are a lot of anxieties there; so, after they have relieved their anxieties, some PMed me saying that sayang I am so far away they would have wanted to ask me out for drinks and conversation. I said, "no problem, nakalista lahat yan, sisingilin ko lahat na drinks offer na yan at the right time when I am on vacation." I think idagdag ko na lang sa listahan si Isko, hehehe.
    Amen. Jesus will reward you for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by vicmesar View Post
    Prior to civilization, early human beings were mere food gatherers - hunters. The increase of their tribes (population) forced them to be food producers and engaged them in agriculture (circa 8000 BC to 7000 BC known as Neolithic or New Stone Age).

Earliest recorded human settlement that sparked civilization occurred probably in the hills of what is now southern Turkey and northern Iraq, especially in the Zagros Hills east of the Tigris River.

In addition to agriculture, navigation is another reason for the settlement. The River system as the best road to transport people and the goods they produced.
    That really makes sense...and WHY in Tigris River, in Turkey and Northern Iraq?

Because of the abundant water as the evolutionist stated? BALONEY!

All the oldest known civilization rises on that location and nowhere else...and again, non of them thought they are Homo Sapiens evolving to human...bakit kaya?

Oldest known cities are in India, actually. Mohenjo-daro and Harappa.

KURO...please read and understand my posting...KNOWN CIVILIZATION brad!

Nowhere in the world where you can find in history that the earliest known civilization came out outside the middle east specially Iraq and Turkey...bakit kaya?

What is the significance of that facts? And none of them thought they are Homo Sapiens or the apes like human...but full breed human and produces same human and that is history that no one can argue.

Tagapagligtas ng Naapi KamenRaida's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    Oldest known cities are in India, actually. Mohenjo-daro and Harappa.
    Bakit nga pala nawala yang civilization na yan kahit mga historiane wala pang kongkretong sagot

Quote Originally Posted by ETEs View Post

Nowhere in the world where you can find in history that the earliest known civilization came out outside the middle east specially Iraq and Turkey...bakit kaya?

What is the significance of that facts? And none of them thought they are Homo Sapiens or the apes like human...but full breed human and produces same human and that is history that no one can argue.

Ateo already pointed out the fertile crescent, maganda yung lupa noon para sa agriculture at domestication ng mga hayop. When it dried-out some humans started moving eastward and westward, same latitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jmos78 View Post
    Ateo already pointed out the fertile crescent, maganda yung lupa noon para sa agriculture at domestication ng mga hayop. When it dried-out some humans started moving eastward and westward, same latitude.
    There are no historical evidence of such human mobilization in mass going to the middle east and historically, human all appeared in the middle east, and spread out to all the world based on historical evidence of the earliest known civilization.

Known civilization naman yun.

Ano tingin mo inimbento lang nila yung mga nahukay nilang mga city dun?

Archaeologists=set decorators?

Fire Bomber Lead Guitarist OrionPax's Avatar
    Mohenjo-daro and Harappa are KNOWN civilizations RECORDED in HISTORY

Let me get back on the Fertile Crescent (see map below). Think of ancient Man in Northern Africa wanting to get out of a drying continent (actually he followed migratory animals getting out of a drying continent). Where would he go? To the South is the endless Sahara Desert, together with the Nubian and the Syrian and Arabian deserts. The only viable direction is through the North -- to Asia. So, again, water played a role in that decision -- the absence of water to the South and the abundance of water to the North. This brings us to yet again the reason why the Middle East was the battleground of the "world" since time immemorial. Look at the map below. That slim strip of land called Palestine is the only viable passage in ancient time to travel on foot from Africa to Asia. It was thus very strategic, thus the major wars in ancient time were for the control of what was then the Fertile Crescent -- from Egypt - to Palestine - to Mesopotamia.

Ateo, ito rin po ba ang dahilan kung bakit hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin mapayapa ang Midle East? Kaya lagi pa ring may kaguluhan doon at ramdam ito ng buong mundo?

Ateo, ito rin po ba ang dahilan kung bakit hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin mapayapa ang Midle East? Kaya lagi pa ring may kaguluhan doon at ramdam ito ng buong mundo?
    That traffic jam in the map at the Palestine junction during Man's ancient migration is the reason why Palestine was a coveted place throughout ancient human civilizations. Various religions fought for control of that land.

But, now, we travel by land, but also by sea and air, so Palestine is not a junction anymore. It is not as strategic as it was in the past. I think the current reason that there is still a volatile area is because of historical and religious reasons. Jerusalem is holy to three religions -- Judaism, Islam and Christianity, so control of Jerusalem is crucial. I don't quite understand why exactly is the US so much involved. Perhaps, Jewish influence in US politics is driving the US policy in the Middle East. Or perhaps the US sincerely thinks that Israel is its only reliable ally in the region, thus needs to be propped up, particularly because the US presence in the region is important because of petroleum.

So, while its strategic location as the land bridge between Africa and Asia was the reason for the ancient importance of Palestine, today the main reasons for its continuing importance are religion, geopolitics and petroleum politics.

I see, so these are the reasons why West Asia is the most contested territorry in the world. Can you see any possible solution/s to solve this never-ending conflict?

I see, so these are the reasons why West Asia is the most contested territorry in the world. Can you see any possible solution/s to solve this never-ending conflict?
    That will be a central question in your mid-term exam, so let us consider this DIFFICULT question carefully. We need to harvest the full 10 points.

There are many correct answers but they are only worth 3-5 points. Kill all Muslims: 0 pt. Stronger US presence: 3 pts. Peace talks with the Arabs: 4 points. End US dependence on oil: 5 pts. End global dependence on oil: 6 pts. Multinational control over Jerusalem as a global city: 7 points.

But to get 10 points let us start with an analogy far from the Middle East. In Medieval up to Modern times, the worst conflicts were not in the Middle East but in Western Europe. All (two) of the World Wars were started and fought mainly there. Russia, Austria, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, England and Germany were endlessly shifting alliances and fighting each other. France and England fought a hundred years war! The fights of Europe were exported to the rest of the world. Then, slowly but surely all the European wars stopped. Today, Western Europe is the most peaceful part of the world. And while England and France and Germany continue to bicker in negotiation tables, it is unthinkable that they will fight each other in war again. We would like to extract the lessons why and apply them to the Middle East.

I think the lesson from Western Europe is clear: Economic development and reduction of poverty are the most sustainable ways to obtain peace anywhere in the world, including in the Middle East. Poverty creates the social strifes that trigger war. Sure, solving poverty is even more difficult than solving conflicts, but we would like to emphasize to your professor that we have identified the root cause of the problem and want to address it strategically rather than allay its symptoms. When people sense progress, they quickly realize that their progress is better nurtured in peace; thus they would have more interest and determination to keep the peace. So, we don't even have to reach the ultimate goal of poverty elimination before we achieve peace. We only need to make a determined effort to solve poverty in order for peace to come to support our effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2