PEx Highlights

FEATURE: Philippine Cup Semis Preview

It's the Aces against the E-Painters and SMB versus TNT. Read on as JPM previews and predicts the outcome of the Fil Cup semis.

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Takes Game 1 vs RoS

The Aces mustered a furious 2nd half turnaround to take Game 1 of the semifinals against the Elasto Painters, 87-80.

read more

FEATURE: On Former Teammates and Rivals

PEx's guest contributor Michele Gumabao talks about her ex-teammates and ex-rivals in the UAAP and the pros.

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

REVIEW: This is Where I Leave You

Family dramedy This Is Where I Leave You graces the screens this week. Is this movie worth checking out? Find out here!

read more

TRAVEL: Ilocos: Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud

PExer mikedph shares everything you need to know about an Ilocos trip that includes photos around Vigan, Laoag and Pagudpud.

read more

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by forg View Post
    Sana ang treatment hindi katulad sa Alice in Wonderland remake a few years ago
    Kwentuhan tayo sa YM! I'm gonna burst na, hehehe.

PROMO: Oz the Great and Powerful 'Win Premium Items'

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE PROMO

Disney's fantastical adventure "OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL" directed by Sam Raimi, imagines the origins of L. Frank Baum's beloved wizard character. When Oscar Diggs(James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he's hit the jackpot-fame and fortune are his for the taking-that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone's been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity-and even a bit of wizardry-Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful wizard but into a better man as well.

Answer the movie question correctly and be one of the ten (10) winners of a goody bag consisting of OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL merchandise (notebooks, stickers and T-shirts).

CLICK THE PROMO PAGE HERE AND JOIN NOW:
    OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL 'WIN PREMIUM ITEMS' PROMO

View the Movie Trailer here:
    OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL Movie Trailer
    Read the Movie Review here:
    OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL Movie Review
    Discuss the movie here:
    OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL Movie Thread

IN CINEMAS MARCH 07
    Like us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

PROMO: Oz the Great and Powerful 'Win Premium Items' - Full Mechanics

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE PROMO

Promo Mechanics:
    1. A thread will be created where a promo question is published. The thread will be created in the PinoyExchange Promo forum as well as in the Movie sub-forum.
    2. Participants should answer the question correctly and provide contact details after answering the question.
    3. Participants who correctly answered the movie question will qualify for the prizes.
    4. Winners will be selected randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    5. The entry where the number of the row matched the number provided by the randomizer wins.
    6. One promo question will be posted within the duration of the promo.
    7. There will be ten (10) winners in total.
    8. Winners will be notified by private message in PinoyExchange, announcement in the promo thread, and through SMS.
    9. The promo will end on March 15, 2012 (Friday) in the movie promo thread.

VIEW FULL MECHANICS

ganda ng visuals. hehehe!
    parang avatar ang effect. hehehe!

Ang ganda naman ng visuals. Excited na tuloy ako. Crush ko rin kasi si James Franco.

“Spider-Man” Director Now Takes Audiences to the Land of “Oz”

Director Sam Raimi’s new fantasy-adventure, Disney’s “Oz The Great and Powerful,” imagines the origins of the beloved wizard character, who made his debut in author L. Frank Baum’s first book “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” As a cinematic prequel to the book, the film explores the backstory of the wizard character and offers a unique, original movie-going experience.

Baum, who wrote 14 novels between 1900-1920, all set in the fantasyland he so vividly created, never fully portrayed the wizard character’s background in his books. “I love origin stories and I liked the idea of how the wizard came to be,” says producer Joe Roth. “So, going back to Baum’s books to research and imagine his beginnings seemed like a great idea.”

With “Oz The Great and Powerful,” Sam Raimi (the “Spider-Man” trilogy) tackles the biggest directorial project of his career, saying, “This is a very big picture, gigantic in scale. The world of Oz as Frank Baum created it has so many different countries and lands. It’s an entire, fabricated world. As large as the ‘Spider-Man’ films were, that was a fantastic character in a city we knew, Manhattan. It wasn’t a created world. That’s what Baum has done in his books. He’s created this entire world of Oz.”

The imaginative story, with screenplay by Mitchell Kapner and David Lindsay-Abaire, follows Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, who is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. There, Oscar thinks he’s hit the jackpot—fame and fortune are his for the taking—that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity—and even a bit of wizardry—Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful wizard but into a better man as well.

Director Sam Raimi comments, “It’s very interesting to me that we learn about this mysterious character of Oz, who is really an enigma in Baum’s book. Who is this guy? How did he get there? How did he end up with this fantastic apparatus and become a ruler if he’s a fake?”

“This film explains how all the characters became who they are and explains their origins so you understand them a little more,” actress Mila Kunis observes. “It brings a little more sincerity and truth to all the characters. And, while being funny and endearing, it very much stays true to the original concepts that L. Frank Baum created.”

James Franco adds his take on the film, saying, “In some ways, the story in our film is a metaphor and an analogy to what we all do as filmmakers. Oz is a magician. He puts on shows. In the Land of Oz, he creates illusions for different reasons. And that’s basically what a movie is, it’s creating an illusion. It’s creating an imaginary world for an audience.”

“Oz The Great and Powerful” boasts a stellar cast that includes Academy Award® nominee James Franco (“127 Hours”) as Oscar Diggs, the predestined wizard; Golden Globe® nominee Mila Kunis (“Black Swan”) as the tormented young witch Theodora; Academy Award® winner Rachel Weisz (“The Constant Gardener”) as Theodora’s older sister, Evanora, the witch who rules over Emerald City; and three-time Oscar®-nominated actress Michelle Williams (“Brokeback Mountain,” “My Week with Marilyn”) as Glinda, the Good Witch.

Raimi’s cast also includes Emmy® and Golden Globe® nominee Zach Braff (“Scrubs”), who plays Franco’s circus assistant while also lending his vocal talents to one of the CGI creatures in the story—Finley, the winged monkey, who accompanies the magician on his journey through Oz, serving as his sounding board and conscience; and 13-year-old actress Joey King (“Ramona and Beezus”), who voices another CGI character in the story, China Girl, the porcelain doll-like child who also joins the future Wizard on his fateful excursion through Oz.

“Oz The Great and Powerful” was filmed in 3D using 3D cameras. This was a new experience for Raimi. Filming in 3D changed the way he worked with the camera—3D cameras are not as mobile and the director likes to move the camera around. “There are still times when I move the camera faster or am a little rough with it,” says the director, “and the technicians don’t want me manhandling those two lenses because they have to be in such perfect alignment.”

When moviegoers see the film, director Sam Raimi would like them to come to the theater expecting a big adventure and a story that they can connect with. “I hope they laugh and fall in love with the Wizard,” says Raimi. “I hope they’re terrorized by the Wicked Witch and the winged baboons. I think there are some surprises waiting for them down the Yellow Brick Road.”

Opening across the Philippines on Thursday, March 7 in IMAX 3D, Digital 3D and regular theaters, “Oz The Great and Powerful” is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International through Columbia Pictures.

Meet the Enchanting Residents of “Oz”

Disney is delighted to introduce the inhabitants of the Land of Oz in the 3D fantasy adventure “Oz The Great and Powerful.” Directed by Sam Raimi, the film reimagines the origins of L. Frank Baum’s beloved character, the Wizard of Oz.

OSCAR DIGGS – James Franco: Oscar Diggs is a small-time magician who takes his magic act on the road as part of a traveling circus in the Midwest. A man with dubious ethics, Oz is a handsome, charming charlatan who is skilled at smooth-talking his way out of problems. When he is hurled into the magical Land of Oz, Oscar faces a fight-or-flight dilemma that holds the fate of a kingdom in the balance, forcing him to decide what kind of man he truly is before it is too late.

FRANK – Zach Braff: Frank is Oz’s assistant and right-hand man—he’s the money handler, costume mender and prop wrangler for Oz’s magic act. Frank is put upon and underappreciated but is Oz’s only friend.

THEODORA – Mila Kunis: Theodora is a beautiful, naïve witch who is protected by her powerful sister Evanora. Theodora only wants peace to come to the Land of Oz and truly believes that a prophesied wizard will arrive someday to restore order.

FINLEY – Voice of Zach Braff: Finley is a winged monkey that accompanies Oz on his journey. Finley doesn’t have a high opinion of Oscar and lets him know it. Ultimately he becomes a loyal ally and helps Oz discover his true self.

EVANORA – Rachel Weisz: A witch to be feared, Evanora is Theodora’s over-protective sister. With her penetrating gaze, she exudes a powerful presence and has positioned herself as the royal advisor and protector of Emerald City.

GLINDA – Michelle Williams: Glinda is a good witch who rules over a peaceful kingdom of simple, kind folk. Beautiful Glinda is not only a compassionate and benevolent witch, but also a fierce protector of her people. Though Glinda sees through Oz’s façade early on, she knows genuine goodness lies within and helps Oz achieve his true destiny.

CHINA GIRL – Voice of Joey King: China Girl is from the village of China Town, where everything, including the inhabitants, is made of china. When destruction befalls her land, the brave, resilient China Girl encounters Oz and they strike up an unlikely friendship.

KNUCK – Tony Cox: Knuck is a dour, unsmiling Munchkin, who, as the Herald of Emerald City, announces all the visitors. Despite his cantankerous demeanor, he is loyal to Glinda and thus reluctantly becomes Oz’s ally.

WINKIES: The Winkies are the formidable, spear-carrying, 8-foot tall, uniformed guards of Emerald City under the command of Evanora.

QUADLINGS: The Quadlings are inhabitants of Glinda’s kingdom. They are kind-hearted, simple country folk who are mostly farmers.

TINKERS: The Tinkers, who live in Glinda’s kingdom, are tall, thin, old men with long, white beards and elfish ears who can build anything. What they lack in stamina they more than make up for in ingenuity. They are led by the Master Tinker, who Oz finds the perfect foil for his plans.

MUNCHKINS: The Munchkins are giggling, happy little people, who live peaceful lives singing and making pretty clothes. Though they don’t have a care in the world, they are loyal to Glinda and do their best to help her if and when she needs them.

Opening across the Philippines on Thursday, March 7 in IMAX 3D, Digital 3D and regular theaters, “Oz The Great and Powerful” is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International through Columbia Pictures.

Conjurer of cheap tricks
    OST

Almost Home by Mariah Carey

Showing na pala to this week, bakit walang promo ang PEx

im really excited about this movie.. 3D! this is gonna be amazing..

@mondee

Meron naman

Naka post dun sa itaas ^^

we'll watch this later... hehehe... im expecting na maenjoy toh like burtons alice in wonderland...

sama neto. wala wenta

ganda ganda ni Mila Kunis, tapos pinapangit... saka sila ang bagay ni oscar

sana Jack the Giant Slayer pinanood ko, syang 250 petot ko waaaahh

next week ko pa to mapanood . check ko muna jack the giant slayer this weekend. pero di ko talaga palalampasin tong OZ. yng alice kasi sa dvd ko na napanood.

sayang yung character na Theodora, mas marami pang exposure yung china girl

ang ganda ganda pa naman nya

tapos ginawang bruha na nakasakay sa broomstick

saka sobrang lakas ng power niya tapos natakot lang sa mga paputok o kuwitis, omaygulay

i watched it because of mariah im such a stan lolz... anyway i liked the movie medyo ewan ko ba wala talaga ko tiwala kay james franco when it comes to acting... question is this prequel of wizard of oz? all in all nag-enjoy ako lalo na kay zach braff (?) then sya din yung monkey di ba? basta enjoy ako...

A Wickedly Good Time

Just watched this tonight, and was unexpectedly pleased. I went in thinking I'd either be bored or worse, disgusted with what looked like a twee, hypercolored prequel to 1939's classic The Wizard of Oz. But lo ho ho - the theater was in stitches, me included.

There's plenty of eye-candy to be had in Oz: The Great and Powerful, and even though I didn't watch it in 3D (yet), I could see how breathtaking the visuals would be in that format. I'm only grousing that it doesn't look like it'll be exhibited in IMAx locally.

Director Sam Raimi moves from The Evil Dead to Evil Wears A Dress. Here, he pays plenty of cinematic homage to The Wizard of Oz, from the black-and-white sequences in Kansas and the ancient Academy aspect ratio giving way to Technicolor and Cinemascope once the protagonist finds himself in the wonderful, magical land of Oz, to the little nods to Dorothy Gale ("I'm marrying Gale," announces Michelle Williams, as Oscar's ex-paramour, hinting perhaps that she'd be the mother of the heroine of the classic MGM movie). Of course, the trappings of Oz are present: the Yellow Brick Road, the Flying Monkeys (and... Baboons?), the Emerald City, Glinda's Bubble Transports, the Munchkins and the Winkies. As well as "beta versions" hinting at key characters yet to come: the scarecrows, the mechanical tin man, the lion near the start of the Oz scenes.

In a nutshell, that's what everyone wanted.

But one needn't be familiar with Judy Garland's classic to enjoy Oz:The Great and Powerful on its own terms, although it would be useful to know the major players beforehand. This is a prequel that deals with how the wonderful Wizard of Oz came to be, and sets the stage for the earlier film much like the roundabout way The Phantom Menace set the stage decades later for the earlier Star Wars: A New Hope.

James Franco essays the role of smarmy con-man and small-time Kansas magician Oscar Diggs with a cheesy smile and a knowing wink, and mirrors the performance art his own life has become of late: is he sincere, or is he trolling us? This verisimilitude between Franco's real-life persona and his reel performance lends several layers of resonance to his Oscar Diggs: a man who finds himself, deservedly or not, thrust into fame and fortune, but tasked with a grave responsibility for the privilege. Franco acquits himself decently in the character of a man called upon to be greater than what he is, but I couldn't help but wonder what other actors known for tackling quirky characters (such as Johnny Depp and the late Heath Ledger) could've brought to the role.

While the titular character of Oz (aka Oz-car) carries the weight of the film, it's a sad development that the three women orbiting his centre are left with little to do, and are thus wasted.

Gifted actress Michelle Williams has little to do with the flat, cardboard character of Glinda the Good Witch. The virtuous are often cursed with one-dimensionality, whereas villains are often more memorable and engaging simply because evil characters - when written well - tend to be more layered and nuanced than "pure" goodness, and Glinda is no exception here. I was hoping that Glinda would

If only.

The same goes for the equally-talented Rachel Weisz, who plays the witch Evanora aka The Wicked Witch of the East. Although, it is a testament to Weisz' acting skills that, even with sufficient clues beforehand that

Mila Kunis does not fare well, either, as the conflicted sister Theodora. (And while were at it, I wonder why they didn't name her Elphaba as per Wicked: The Musical? I must confess I have never read L.Frank Baum's original books, nor Gregory Maguire's Wicked re-imaginings, so your guess is as good as mine. Although a cursory Google search reveals that The Wicked Witch has gone by many names throughout the years at the hands of many writers, from Bestinda, to Evillene, to the homage to L.Frank Baum ElPhaBa.)

"I go by many names - none of which you're worthy of uttering."

Playing Oscar's initial love interest in Oz, Theodora's character arc should've been interesting after the behind-the-scenes manipulations of her sister and the emotional callousness of Oscar Diggs himself. However, Theodora's

Zach Braff does a workman's job voicing Finley, flying monkey/sidekick/and comedy relief, and while much of the movie's laughs emanate from Finley, he's still not as well-rounded a character as, say, Gollum was. Ditto for Oscar's other unlikely companion, the China Girl (voice by Joey "who her?" King). China Girl is a totally new character created by the film's writers (unlike Finley, who references the flying monkeys from MGM's original, as well as the other key players), and while she turns out to be a useful and occasionally-funny character, she could easily have been as coy and saccharinely-annoying as Snow White.

Good on ya, Cap.

On a more positive note, the movie's special-effects are breathtaking and, as Richard Roeper remarked, has a lot in common with Avatar's lush imaginary world of Pandora - if Pandora were an explosion of saturated colours and almost-cartoony textures. Still, Oz is a magical fantasy land, after all, so the candy colors of its imaginary environs fit as well as a lollipop in a Munchkin's mouth.

In the end, Oz: The Great and Powerful manages its climactic denouément with wit, smarts, and a knowing smile. As for a sequel, well...go grab a copy of Judy Garland's 1939 classic. Because Wicked the Musical notwithstanding, that's how the story follows.

And off we follow the yellow brick road.

Wherever it may go.
    Last edited by baredevil696; Mar 8, 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by razzp View Post
    OST

Almost Home by Mariah Carey

[video=youtube;k2VKkm6U7d0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VKkm6U7d0
    the one on the movie is a bit different and sayang lang sobrang end credits na sya pinatugtug yung parang walang ng mga tao lolz... stan mode again... pero sobrang enjoyed ako sa movie...

OT: razzp can't pm you puno na inbox mo how is carlo aka chefdepartie pls give my regards to him atsaka kung may fb o twitter naman sya pakibigay naman tia...

Excited to watch this later

13 years na pala ako sa pex stingray1059's Avatar
    more pexers review pls.. ok ba 3d effects nito? how is this compared sa jack the giant killer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast