Fast and Furious 6 is a high-octane action-packed ride that will make the most hardened action movie fans blushread more
The ADMU Lady Eagles displayed championship cool as they ripped the NU Lady Bulldogs in 3 sets in game 1 of the finalsread more
Join now and get a chance to win advanced screening tickets to The Hangover 3!read more
The highest fan and issue threads will be posted weekly. Check out the gorgeous female celebrities that came out on top this week!read more
Twelve of the best brains across Asia compete to be hired in the ultimate job interview in The Apprentice Asiaread more
Eh yun naman ata talaga target nila eh, mainterview yun bagong Abu Sayyaf leader. So bakit pa kailangan hanapin yang kumag na yan? Bahala kayo sa buhay nyo!
Sa sobrand dami na ng nakidnap/napugutan ng mga orc, kapwa Orc na lang ang natitirang pwede nilang kidnapin haha
Once the military have completed their weapons upgrade purchase, they should go back there and finish the job.
Palace confirms 'missing' Jordanian journalist now with Abu Sayyaf
By AMITA LEGASPI, GMA News June 18, 2012 3:16pm
Malacañang confirmed Monday that ‘missing’ Jordanian national and Al Arabiya news network Southeast Asia bureau chief Baker Atyani and his team are in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf after they sought the bandit group for an interview in Sulu last week.
“What we can confirm is that he [Atyani] is in the hands of [the] Abu Sayyaf and that he went there voluntarily for an interview,” presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said at a press briefing.
“At 5 a.m. on June 12, I think he (Atyani) was seen riding a vehicle voluntarily. After that, we have no information anymore as to his whereabouts until today,” Lacierda added.
He reiterated that Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan offered Atyani security but the latter declined it.
Asked if Atyani and his team are being held hostage by the bandit group, Lacierda said: “What we can confirm is that he went there voluntarily to interview the Abu Sayyaf Group. It is also confirmed that he has in another occasion, had the opportunity to interview [the] Abu Sayyaf head previously.”
An earlier report by Agence France-Presse said an initial investigation showed that the Al Arabiya news team checked in at the Sulu State College Hostel in Jolo on Monday, June 11, as they were to shoot a television documentary.
On Tuesday, June 12, the three joined local media in an interview with Tan after which they went to Jolo town proper. The Al Arabiya news team then failed to return.
Authorities not informed
Lacierda said Atyani did not inform authorities that he and his team were going to interview the Abu Sayyaf, which reportedly has links to the al Qaeda and Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist organizations.
Asked if the government could have prevented Atyani from pushing through with his plans to talk with the group, Lacierda said the government could only inform him about the possible dangers of doing so.
“We would not wish to proscribe the right to their duties as a responsible journalist. The best that we can do is to warn them of the (dangers) and to caution them,” he said.
He believed the government implemented enough precautionary measures to prevent the incident from happening.
“We’ve provided security for him... We offered actually security for him; he refused. We offered him a place to stay; he refused. So I believe that on the part of the provincial government and the local government in Sulu, they have done their job to extend all the hospitality and security that they can do,” he said.
Asked if the Abu Sayyaf has been resurgent in the area, Lacierda said he cannot say.
“This is primarily an interview that the Jordanian journalist decided to do. So as to what the intentions of the ASG [are] when they agreed to be interviewed, that’s beyond our comprehension,” he said.
Lacierda said the lines of communication are now on between Tan and the bandit group.
“He [Tan] formed a crisis committee and they are in discussions,” he said, quickly adding that the government will implement the no ransom policy if the group of Atyani is being held against their will.
Jolo is a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf, a bandit group that has been blamed for most of the country's worst terror attacks as well as kidnappings of foreigners.
In February, two birdwatchers from Europe, Swiss national Lorenzo Vinciguerra, 47, and Dutchman Ewold Horn, 52, were seized by armed men in Tawi-tawi. There is no information yet on their whereabouts. Authorities also could not say if the Abu Sayyaf is responsible for the abduction. — RSJ/KG, GMA News
Journalist Faces Ban
Atyani Must Explain Why He Misled Local Officials – Aquino
By GENALYN D. KABILING
June 21, 2012, 9:59am
DAVAO CITY – The Jordanian journalist who supposedly deceived local authorities and sought out the Abu Sayyaf for an interview may be banned from returning to the country, President Benigno S. Aquino III said yesterday.
The President demanded an explanation from Baker Atyani of the Al Arabiya news network on why he shunned the protection offered by local officials and put some people’s lives at risk.
Aquino said he wanted to hear Atyani’s side before deciding on the recommendation made by Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo to prohibit him from re-entering the country.
Atyani was reported missing in Sulu last week until authorities found out he and his two Filipino assistants were in the custody of the Abu Sayyaf and was filming a documentary.
“Let’s give him an opportunity to explain,” Aquino said in a press conference after a convention of Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) here.
The President said that based on reports he received, Atyani duped local authorities and sneaked out to do an interview with Abu Sayyaf militants, who are considered terrorists by the government.
“He has to explain, ‘Why are you in touch with the terrorist force in the country and you purposely misled government authorities who were trying to secure you.’ That has to be addressed,” Aquino said.
“This guy has to address the issues of why he has put so many people in danger and the country’s reputation in danger. He has not behaved as a guest of the country seemingly should but of course we will wait for the proper investigation,” the President said.
Aquino however said the government wants to make sure Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen “are all safe at the end of the day.”
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo had recommended that the Bureau of Immigration (BI) enforce the travel ban on Atyani because of the “trouble” and “deception” he has caused.
Robredo said the government has not launched any search and rescue mission for Atyani and his Filipino companions because they are “safe” and not under threat.
“We are recommending from here on not to allow the Jordanian journalist (to return to the Philippines) because first, we are following protocol to ensure their safety. There was an element of deception in what he did. He should have at least informed us about his plans,” Robredo told reporters in Davao City.
“If you imperil yourself and you create problems for us, I think he should be prohibited from coming here. Even if we say that he ignored our protocol, we still have the responsibility in this case,” he said.
Prohibiting Atyani from visiting the Philippines will also be “for his own good and his own security,” Robredo said.
The DILG chief disclosed that the government has established contact with Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen, and learned that they were doing a documentary about the Abu Sayyaf.
“Our assumption is he went there for an interview and he is safe,” Robredo said. “As of now, we will wait and see.”
He said Atyani will be debriefed by authorities when he finishes the documentary.
He's doing a documentary on Abu Sayyaf to bring awareness to the muslim world back home about the struggle of their muslim brothers for independence. It will be a propaganda film.
PNP: Still no ransom note for missing TV crew in Sulu
June 24, 2012 9:16am
While authorities may consider members of a television team that went missing in Sulu since last week as hostages of the Abu Sayyaf, police have no information yet on whether ransom was a motive for their abduction.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome said, "Pinaghahanap pa rin natin sila. Wala naman ransom note so parang napakahirap sabihin they were kidnapped for ransom,” Bartolome said in an interview on dzBB radio.
He also said authorities have monitored “movements” of the television team but declined to elaborate, saying these are “operational matters.”
Still missing are Jordanian reporter Baker Atyani of Al Arabiya and his Filipino crew Rolando Letrero and Ramelito Vela.
“We have monitored some movements but I cannot elaborate on this," Bartolome said.
On Saturday, Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo said the three are being held against their will and are considered hostages.
But Bartolome said that as far as the PNP is concerned, the three are “still considered missing.” — LBG, GMA News
source : http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...v-crew-in-sulu
Robredo: Jordanian journalist, two Pinoy crew now Abu Sayyaf hostages
June 24, 2012 7:02am
A television reporter and his two Filipino crewmembers who went missing in Sulu are now considered hostages of the Abu Sayyaf, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said on Saturday.
Robredo said Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani of Al Arabiya and his two Filipino cameramen are now being held against their will, radio dzBB reported Sunday.
The report quoted Robredo as saying one of the Filipino crewmembers called up his wife and asked for help. The Filipinos with Atyani had included Rolando Letrero and Ramelito Vela.
Robredo was quoted in the report as saying it was possible the Abu Sayyaf exploited the media attention on the case to take the three hostage, the report added.
Malacañang earlier said it did not yet consider the case a kidnapping. The Palace also pointed out the Philippine government maintains a no-ransom policy.
Last Friday, contrary to earlier statements made by Philippine authorities, Jordan's Foreign Ministry has reportedly confirmed that Jordanian national and Al Arabiya news network Southeast Asia bureau chief Baker Atyani was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu.
“Efforts exerted via the Jordanian embassy in Tokyo and our consul in Manila have confirmed that Atyani was kidnapped. We are following up on the case in order to secure his safe release,” Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Sabah Rafei was quoted by The Jordan Times as saying on Friday.
Atyani and his two Filipino crew members — camera operator Ramelito Vela, 39, and audio operator Rolando Letrero, 22, — have been missing since June 12 when they supposedly met the Abu Sayyaf for an interview.
But local authorities have said that they are not actively searching for the three since they are safe and sound and have been in contact with them. They are supposedly in Patikul, Sulu.
Also earlier, Sulu police provincial director Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra said the three fooled local authorities into thinking they were just going to cover the celebration of Independence Day in Jolo.
He went on to say that it is very likely that they are funneling funds to the Abu Sayyaf from al Qaeda as logistical support is difficult to come by.
On Wednesday, Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo said he will recommend the banning of Atyani from the Philippines for "deceiving" local authorities and voluntarily seeking out the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu. — ELR, GMA News
My take on this matter is the said journalist could be an al qaeda courier or messenger....lets face it the man is in contact with sama bin laden and several other terorist...wag nating problemahin ang mga animal na ito and nakakaawa ay yung mga pinoy na sinama niya...hindi ako magtataka kung hindi na makakabalik ang 2 pinoy na sinama niya at siya na lang ang matirang buhay or mag exit na lang sa ibang parte ng pinas.....
makaka-alis na iyan via malaysia .
Palace concerned over status of missing Jordanian reporter and TV crew, but defers issue to DILG
June 25, 2012 7:35am
While it said it is concerned over their safety, Malacañang has clammed up on the case of a Jordanian reporter and his two Filipino television crewmembers who went missing in Sulu, a day after Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo said the three are now considered “hostages.”
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said Sunday the Palace will let Robredo explain the circumstances that now lead them to consider Jordanian reporter Baker Atyani of Al Arabiya and his crewmen Rolando Letrero and Ramelito Vela as hostages.
“We will leave it to Sec. Robredo to explain ano ang naging change in circumstances. Bakit ngayon ang standing ni Ginoong Baker Atyani ay hostage, at hindi missing,” Valte said on government-run dzRB radio.
When asked if the government will hold search and rescue operations for the three, she said, “We will leave that up to DILG” and local officials.
But when asked if the Palace has asked Robredo to explain his sudden change in position, she said the Palace “continuously coordinate(s) with Robredo.”
“There are situations when we cannot be the ones to give the responses. There are certain people in government in a better position to give you that. The Palace does not respond to everything,” she added.
On Saturday, Robredo was quoted as saying Atyani, Letrero and Vela are now considered hostages of the bandit group Abu Sayyaf. He said the three are now being held against their will.
But Philippine National Police chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome said that while they continue to track the team’s whereabouts, they are not aware of any ransom demand.
Even if there were ransom demanded, Valte said the government is not likely to change its no-ransom policy.
“The government has a no-ransom policy. Hindi tayo makikipag-bargain sa bandido para magbayad ng ransom. The no-ransom policy stands,” she said.
On the other hand, Valte also contested speculations the Palace is not concerned about the safety of the three, especially the two Filipino crewmembers.
“That’s not correct to say we’re not concerned. We are, that’s why we are closely monitoring the situation,” she said.
When asked if Robredo’s sudden change in position was a lapse in intelligence, Valte refused to comment, saying Robredo “is in a better position to answer that.” –KG, GMA News
hayaan nang mamatay yan.. sumasawsaw pa tong mga abubu na eto eh
Michael Jordan held captive by the Abu Sayyaff Terrorist Group?
*** mekaniko namin kompare yong isang kamera man dyan. yong isa taga sauyo *** isa sa cainta. hinire talga sila ng jordanian for about 50,000 pesos nirent sila.. *** isa mababa lang makukuha pero sa kumpare ng mekaniko namin 50,000 thousand pesos. at eto ang nangyari.. tumawag ang abusayaff sa amo ng kompare ng mekaniko namin sa mismong boss nito at humihingi ng 50,000,000 million pesos. tumawag *** amo sabi kung pwede 100,000 na lang daw. ang problema di na daw makontak *** mga bihag.
Interesting, on how this administration is going to deal with them.
Lets see if they can stick with the no ransom policy.
kidnap me case yan. parang kagaya nung kay Ces Drilon dati.
Robredo backpedals on Jordanian's situation
Posted at 06/27/2012 5:56 PM | Updated as of 06/27/2012 5:57 PM
MANILA, Philippines - Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo has backpedaled on an earlier statement that the missing Jordanian journalist and his crew are being held against their will by the Abu Sayyaf.
Robredo could not tell reporters if Baker Abdulla Atyani and two of his Filipino colleagues have, in fact, been kidnapped.
Last Saturday, Robredo said they were being “held against their will.”
On Wednesday, he said: "Palagay ko po, mas makakatulong na pabayaan ho natin yung inatasan na asikasuhin yung insidente.”
He said Atyani did not get a working permit from Philippine authorities.
Video company tight-lipped about 2 Filipino crew missing in Sulu
June 27, 2012 7:54pm
The reported employer of two Filipino crewmen who went missing with Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani in Sulu has chosen to remain tight-lipped about their fate, refusing requests for interviews and entry to the company’s premises.
The staff of SFX Production Inc., widely reported as the employer of missing video crewmen Ramelito Vela and Rolando Letrero, did not answer questions despite repeated attempts to contact the company for comment.
Senior Supt. Antonio Freyra, Sulu provincial police director, had said last weekend that Atyani has been separated from Vela and Letrero in the vicinity of Patikul town in Sulu.
Atyani, the Asia bureau chief of the Dubai-based Al Arabiya news agency, and the two crew men have been missing since June 12. They had left their hostel at dawn, reportedly to interview the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf in Patikul town, but failed to come back in the evening.
Interior and Local Governments Secretary Jesse Robredo on Saturday confirmed that the three men are now being held against their will as hostages of the bandit group, which has kidnapped several foreigners and TV crew in the past.
Sought for comment, a staff of SFX told GMA News Online by phone that they were “too busy” to issue a statement and refused to answer any more questions.
At the office building of SFX Production in Kamuning, Quezon City, an employee who answered the door refused requests to enter the premises upon the order of his superiors.
Outside the building, a company driver who requested anonymity said he does not know Vela and Letrero personally, but has seen their names on the list of his passengers from the production house.
According to its website, SFX Production Inc. is a private outfit that specializes in the conceptualization and production of corporate, commercial, or artistic audiovisual productions. Established in 1990, the company has a wide roster of clients ranging from Top 500 corporations to small and medium enterprises in the Philippines.
It has won the Anvil Award of Excellence, Electronic and Interactive Media in the Audio Visual Category, the company said.
The YouTube account of SFX Production contains promotional materials for various companies, as well as a 30-second video on the peace process in Mindanao.
The video shows images of Muslim women, children, and workers with the narration, “Pag nahawi ang usok, pag lumipas ang lungkot, pag nawala nang tuluyan ang takot, malinaw na uunawa ang puso at isipan. Kaya suportahan ang usapang kapayapaan. Kapag may kapayapaan, may pag-asa ang bayan.” It ends with the words, “Suportahan ang usapang pangkapayapaan.” - Marc Jayson Cayabyab/YA, GMA News Online
Free Michael Jordan! You bandits