PEx Highlights

FEATURE: Expectations for Gilas 3.0

With Chot Reyes out of the picture and the Gilas program 'under review', JPM ponders on the possibilities that may happen in the new Gilas.

read more

Inflatable robot Baymax takes the spotlight!

In Disney's Big Hero 6, a plus-sized inflatable robot named Baymax makes a difference in the life of teen prodigy Hiro Hamada.

read more

PHOTOS: Purefoods Back to Winning Ways

Mark Barroca starred in a furious 2nd half comeback win against the GlobalPort, scoring 25 points for Purefoods.

read more

REVIEW: Beauty in a Bottle

Beauty in a Bottle is worth the look thanks to its witty and poignant script and terrific performances from its cast.

read more

PHOTOS: Aces Demolish Bolts

Alaska went on a demolition job against Meralco, defeating the Bolts by an embarrassing 41-point deficit, 105-64.

read more

PEx Halloween: Pinoy Horror Stories

Nakakita ka na ba ng aswang o multo? Nakaramdam ng masamang spirito at mga maligno? Kwento mo na dito!

read more

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    UP kasi sala ng studyante (UP passer) top 15 % ng kumuha ng exam. so di mahirap turuan (yan ang assumption ko). Tapos lalo pang sinasala. I remember my batchmates sa pisay na ng UP. Electrical Engineering ata mga 6 to 10 lang ang grumagraduate dito on time
    Tama ka. Assumption mo lang yan.

Di porket achiever ka nung high school ay madali ka nang turuan. A lot will depend on your study habits and work attitude.

You need to improve the performance of both the professors and the students. Improve the faculty by getting UP or foreign professors, while force the students to study harder by imposing stricter retention policies. If all courses would require students to meet a certain grade point average at the end of each school year or else they'll get kicked out, magaaral talaga ang mga studyante.

^uy, welcum back

Quote Originally Posted by dashingdevonair View Post
    You need to improve the performance of both the professors and the students. Improve the faculty by getting UP or foreign professors, while force the students to study harder by imposing stricter retention policies. If all courses would require students to meet a certain grade point average at the end of each school year or else they'll get kicked out, magaaral talaga ang mga studyante.
    May retention policy ang La Salle. Since nagaral ka rin sa La Salle, there are courses na may mga grade requirements but mayroon din hindi.

sa aking palagay, La Salle must find other sources of income aside from tuition fee. The good is La Salle has been trying to get monies from friends and alumni for scholarhips, research. For a school to survive and retain teachers and good facilities dapat maraming pera. (that is the sad truth). Also if you are not dependent of tuition fee then you can just get students that make the minium cut in the entrance exam.

The yield rate for enrollment for La Salle in quite good considering the circumstances. UP has always had a very good yield rate because it is the "State University".

Even Ateneo has a yield rate of 60% a few years back which means 40 % went to other schools.

La Salle might be too expensive for middle class students families now who are considered part of the best and brightest.

Case ng mga friends ko, may scholarship ang mga anak sa La Salle pero nadadalang isip, what happens if di ma maintain and scholarship ko how can my family afford to pay 70k per term? In UP mawalan ako ng scholarship mura pa rin ang tuition fee.

Maybe tuition fee can be variable with family income maybe a good thing for La Salle.

I believe this move of DLSU will have an effect on the affected colleges

De La Salle Canlubang to become DLSU Science & Technology Complex

"A takeover of DLSC is planned for A.Y. 2013-2014. The campus will be renamed as the Science and Technology Complex. The decision will prompt the University to relocate the College of Engineering (COE), College of Science (COS) and the College of Computer Studies (CCS).

During the meeting, a point was raised that the Canlubang campus is having difficulty progressing, and it stands to benefit from the merger with DLSU.

Aquino notes that they University will hold further consultation with its stakeholders."

http://thelasallian.com/2012/03/28/c...gency-meeting/

With that, I know some Engineering professors who are planning to transfer in other Engineering schools like UST. (Since most professors of the college are graduates of UST, they will just come back to their alma mater if the relocation plan is final)

I don't think that the University can attract the brightest students in the metro to relocate in canlubang just to study engineering. Aside from UP and DLSU, there are so many schools in NCR that offers decent Engineering programs like UST and Mapua. Even DLSU professors (of the affected colleges) are not happy with the relocation plans of La Salle.

They should have bought a land somewhere in Global city or elsewhere. (In my opinion of course)

Quote Originally Posted by twine_bean View Post
    With that, I know some Engineering professors who are planning to transfer in other Engineering schools like UST. (Since most professors of the college are graduates of UST, they will just come back to their alma mater if the relocation plan is final)

Is this true? Source please.

I don't think that the University can attract the brightest students in the metro to relocate in canlubang just to study engineering. Aside from UP and DLSU, there are so many schools in NCR that offers decent Engineering programs like UST and Mapua. Even DLSU professors (of the affected colleges) are not happy with the relocation plans of La Salle.
    I beg to defer. La Salle's pedigree is solid that its followers would come wherever it would be relocated. It is La Salle, after all, a brand much more respected than all the rest of the schools in the country except UP and AdMU. So, when a kid is faced with an option of going to La Salle and, say, UST, of course the smart, rich kid would most likely choose to go to La Salle. It is La Salle, after all.

^ask the office itself, they will give you the same information. I will not spoon fed the information to you.

I beg to differ as well, because there are bright students who are not willing to relocate outside Metro Manila, even if its La Salle brand that you say. Even "legitimate" Lasallians are not happy with the idea transferring these colleges outside NCR.

(*when I say "legitimate", those are REAL DLSU students and not Pexer wannabees or Mr. and Ms. know it all)

Others will transfer to the Ateneo or UP (if they can) but NOT relocate to Canlubang, Laguna.

We'll see the future enrolees of the colleges involve AFTER they transfer to Canlubang before we talk about university branding vs. practical concerns.

We're not in the US wherein students are willing to relocate for their dream university like Harvard or Yale.

unless willing magtravel everyday yung mga La Salle students, since mayaman sila, walang prob sa gas.

madami sigurong willing magrelocate kung lahat ng students ay under scholarship.

prestige? hindi lang solo ng DLSU yan, andiyan pa ang UP at Ateneo, lalo na at there are so many schools na doing there best to improve their academic performance.

^ask the office itself, they will give you the same information. I will not spoon fed the information to you.

I beg to differ as well, because there are bright students who are not willing to relocate outside Metro Manila, even if its La Salle brand that you say. Even "legitimate" Lasallians are not happy with the idea transferring these colleges outside NCR.

(*when I say "legitimate", those are REAL DLSU students and not Pexer wannabees or Mr. and Ms. know it all)

Others will transfer to the Ateneo or UP (if they can) but NOT relocate to Canlubang, Laguna.

We'll see the future enrolees of the colleges involve AFTER they transfer to Canlubang before we talk about university branding vs. practical concerns.

We're not in the US wherein students are willing to relocate for their dream university like Harvard or Yale.

Again, we are not simply talking about a school here. We are talking about THE La Salle here, you know?

The rich and super smart kids won't pass up an opportunity to attend a famous school like La Salle for a second-tier school like MIT or UST simply for location. Maybe they'd loose more for a school like UPd/UPm or AdMU. But they've been loosing to those schools anyways, so it doesn't really mater. But that could be the worse that it can get. And, there's also a chance that La Salle would be winning a cross-admit against the other 2 peer schools, especially if La Salle would have a much nicer campus environment, better college housing, sports facilities, etc.. Do you really think the Sys (how'd you make that plural, btw? lol), Yuchencos, Conjuancos, for instance, would rather be at UST or MIT or UA&P because La Salle is in Laguna? That's not how I would see it. People go to Laguna for their famous golf clubs and spas despite the distance that they needed to get there. And La Salle is like a huge rich club that caters to a unique demographic. It caters to a the smart, rich, affluent kids who do not want a pedigree less than itself. If we're talking about UST or MIT here, then the story would be quite different. But this is La Salle. Seriously. It is La Salle.

^elitist at its finest, thanks for proving yourself to us, still hallucinating to glorify your infamous big 3 universities.

Weird logic you have their Mr. know it all.

NO wonder you were tagged in the other thread as the "Father of Philippine Higher Education" and specially that thread about the best universities in Mindanao wherein you were being attacked by real Pexers from Mindanao because of how you glorify UP Mindanao.

bye, Mr. Know it all!!! talk to someone who can understand your hallucinations.

sus, ang dami ngang super rich kids sa FEU Institute of Medicine and other FEU Institutes offering paramedical courses (Nursing, PT and the likes) kasi ayaw sa DLS Damsarinas where the paramedical and medical courses are located.

This is THE fact. I must know. One time college instructor ako sa FEU.
    Ask nikkilove!

^sorry vicmesar but that Pexer is still hallucinating to glorify his big 3.

maybe he's working in the respective registrar's office of UP Ateneo and La Salle.

Indeed, Mr. Know it all

PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL ALERT!

seriously, la salle could just throw money at the problem. and beat all the other second-tier schools.

surpassing the UP and Ateneo brand will be a bit harder.
    (it exists, and is a sad truth too, la salle is third choice for the wisest/best students.
    only the pretentious-but-smart party kids and kids of la salle alumni will go there, given the chance to choose between UPD, ADMU, and DLSU)
    being funded by the state is actually a boon, since the economy is growing ergo budgets for state schools will grow too.
    plus a lot of potential presidents/politicians/budget secretaries are from UP. boohoo.
    (completely unrelated and off-topic, but i would just like to refute comments on UP's budget woes)

on pirating UP Professors/ Hiring Laude UP Grads:

current-gen(lol) UPD professors are incorruptible. they revere UP too much, as do all the people who have even the tiniest bit of connection to it. throwing money at them won't help unless 200K ang salary.

on the transfer to Canlubang:

its not impractical if they build dorms. very upscale ones. with hot and cold water or something.
    this will attract the scholars, which should have the highest concentrations in the science and engg colleges.
    they should copy the residential college system of yale and harvard(Kirkland, Cabot, etc)

arkhem is funny. he is so annoyingly stubborn. PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL TALAGA. hahahaha

Just remember what happened to DLSU Dasma's Medicine program,

I think Ateneo's Med School can attract more bright students since they have a better location, Ortigas.

sad but true

Indeed, location is a MAJOR factor here in the country.

I repeat, we'll see if the colleges can still attract A+ students AFTER they transfer to Canlubang.

To add, rich people dont go to their famous golf clubs for 3 years. (they go there in the morning then go back to Manila in the afternoon, unless they have a vacation house)

why compare a golf club to a school? WTF

16. Advertisement

true olivegarden, DLSU can still attract students if they develop the campus better.

But to say that they can STILL attract those A lister students? like those in the International Schools or very rich high schools graduating students with honors? Lets see after 5 years of there transfer there

Lets see after 5 years of their transfer there (Canlubang).

I'm sorry

Frankly, I commend La Salle's plan to transfer some of its key colleges to Canlubang. Its about time. Polluted na masyado ang Metro Manila.

Malakas ang loob ng La Salle because of its brand name. This is the very esse of Arkhem's position.

^elitist at its finest, thanks for proving yourself to us, still hallucinating to glorify your infamous big 3 universities.

Weird logic you have their Mr. know it all.

NO wonder you were tagged in the other thread as the "Father of Philippine Higher Education" and specially that thread about the best universities in Mindanao wherein you were being attacked by real Pexers from Mindanao because of how you glorify UP Mindanao.

bye, Mr. Know it all!!! talk to someone who can understand your hallucinations.
    I'd appreciate it if you can mature up a bit. Don't attack me; attack my post. That's how this whole conversation should be treated. That's how mature people converse.

it doesn't have to be rich kids guys. sheesh.
    the thread says "Attracting the Best and the Brightest". bakit usapang rich kids 'to?

anyway, most of the rich kids take management courses. it was smart of la salle to transfer the science and engg colleges, since AGAIN, this is where the scholars should go. add my proposed upscale residential colleges.
    i should know why this is attractive. i'm currently in an ugly(but beloved) dorm in UP. yakal, specifically. i keep dreaming about double beds, walk-in closets, hardwood study tables and airconditioning for my room. which la salle can afford.

DLSU-Med is an entirely different and tragic story.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast