PEx Highlights

FEATURE: Philippine Cup Semis Preview

It's the Aces against the E-Painters and SMB versus TNT. Read on as JPM previews and predicts the outcome of the Fil Cup semis.

read more

TRAVEL: Ilocos: Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud

PExer mikedph shares everything you need to know about an Ilocos trip that includes photos around Vigan, Laoag and Pagudpud.

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Takes Game 1 vs RoS

The Aces mustered a furious 2nd half turnaround to take Game 1 of the semifinals against the Elasto Painters, 87-80.

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

REVIEW: This is Where I Leave You

Family dramedy This Is Where I Leave You graces the screens this week. Is this movie worth checking out? Find out here!

read more

FEATURE: On Former Teammates and Rivals

PEx's guest contributor Michele Gumabao talks about her ex-teammates and ex-rivals in the UAAP and the pros.

read more

Talent Determination Test

I'm interested in taking up the Talent Determination Test this summer, but I'm not quite sure of the details yet. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

A few questions:

In the application form, there are two options: Bachelor's Degree and Certificate Degree. What's the difference between the two or which one should I take (I'm a non-UPCAT qualifier, beginning freshman)?

Let's say I did pass the test, and I decide to switch courses, pwede ba 'yon?

VisCom lang ba yung quota course out of the six other courses?

Is there a TDT for theatre arts as well?

Thank you!

Talent Determination Test is an additional requirement for courses like Music and Fine Arts. As the name suggests, it is to determine whether a student who passed the UPCAT and qualified for the said courses have the talent or skill needed. In case of a College of Music passer, he/she has to perform using their instruments or their voice... It's more of an audition. For CFA, more on showing your skills also plus portfolio(not sure regarding this) .This test is only available to those who applied in the College of Music and CFA and then passed the UPCAT.

In the application form, there are two options: Bachelor's Degree and Certificate Degree. What's the difference between the two or which one should I take?
    For the Certificate Degree, i believe it would only last for 2 or 3 years and they will only get fewer courses/subjects (concentrated on their respective fields). But they can still apply for the Bachelor's Degree and extend their stay.
    In both cases, one should pass the UPCAT.
    Can you please elaborate on the (I'm a non-UPCAT qualifier, beginning freshman)

If you passed both the UPCAT and the TDT, then you can finally enroll... you can only be able to shift to other courses after a year though.

Not sure regarding this, no idea about VisCom, not sure if UP is offering a course called VisCom.

None
    Last edited by plokiju; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

^How come there's an option in the application form asking if you're an UPCAT or non-UPCAT qualifier? Here's the application form.

Quote Originally Posted by plokiju View Post
    It means that I'm currently a fourth year high school student and I did not qualify for the UPCAT.
    Last edited by w33dboi; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

i just finished reading the application form, sorry for the inaccuracies

i'm not that sure about the non-UPCAT qualifier in the form.
    some of us here in the UP thread here in PEX are only relying from second hand knowledge.

my suggestion to you right now is to try to directly call the Office of Admissions and/or the College of Fine Arts and ask if you can still apply there even though you did not pass the UPCAT. They can give you better information than us here.

Hey, I'm from FA and I believe masasagot ko yung iba mong mga question.

1. Bachelor of Fine Arts is for those who passed the UPCAT while the certificate degree is for non-UPCAT passers na pasado sa talent test. For BFA students, tuloy-tuloy lang ang four years of study, while for CFA students you have to finish the three year certificate program before you can continue to your fourth year as a BFA student given you meet certain grade requirements.

2. No, you can not switch courses once you're already accepted into the certificate program. As in bawal talaga. I think within FA pwede yata but outside of the college, it's a no.

3. I'm not really sure on what you mean by 'quota' but the college only accepts a certain number of certificate program applicants. Mas rigorous ang application for the CFA program because maraming nag-aapply. If I'm not mistaken out of 200 applicants last year mga 75++ lang ang kinuha.

4. I don't think there's a TDT for theatre but to be sure go to the CAL website.

I'm from Viscomm FA; a TDT passer.

In the application form, there are two options: Bachelor's Degree and Certificate Degree. What's the difference between the two or which one should I take?
    -Certificate programs lasts 3 years. You cannot shift courses. Once you graduate the 3-year course successfully, one can choose to take a 4th year for the Bachelor's degree; no questions asked.

-Only check Bachelor's Degree if you are an UPCAT passer; if not, check Certificate. Those under Certificate programs cannot shift.

-There isn't an exact number of passers each year. As long as you have the talent and determination, they will pass you. But since Visual Communications has more than 200+ applicants every year, of course it might deem unwise for one to apply for said course if you aren't very confident in your skills.

-Probably. Google it yourself lol.

Some tips:
    1) Sketch what you see; as often as you can. (This would be like training for a tennis match) The more realistic and close to the model, the better.
    2) Decide on a medium you're best at. (Instead of going for a medium you enjoy using but are so-so at in terms of results, choose a medium that shows off your talents instead) In my case, I ended up using watercolor. It might have been a hassle to bring all the stuff in but it was all worth it.

Good luck!

hi w33dboi,
    Plan ko rin magtransfer and I already submitted my application form together with the requirement. How about you? And if I may ask, natawagan ka na ba nila regarding the interview?

to all who shared some ideas and tips, salamat sa inyo
    mooore mooore mooooore. we need it badly. haha

Quote Originally Posted by happyhid View Post
    hi w33dboi,
    Plan ko rin magtransfer and I already submitted my application form together with the requirement. How about you? And if I may ask, natawagan ka na ba nila regarding the interview?

to all who shared some ideas and tips, salamat sa inyo
    mooore mooore mooooore. we need it badly. haha
    Ako din! Kaso wala pa kong form. Sa Malikhaing Pagsusulat sa Wikang Filipino ako. Sana may makasama ako! Goodluck sating lahat.

Quote Originally Posted by viree View Post
    I'm from Viscomm FA; a TDT passer.

-Certificate programs lasts 3 years. You cannot shift courses. Once you graduate the 3-year course successfully, one can choose to take a 4th year for the Bachelor's degree; no questions asked.

-Only check Bachelor's Degree if you are an UPCAT passer; if not, check Certificate. Those under Certificate programs cannot shift.

-There isn't an exact number of passers each year. As long as you have the talent and determination, they will pass you. But since Visual Communications has more than 200+ applicants every year, of course it might deem unwise for one to apply for said course if you aren't very confident in your skills.

-Probably. Google it yourself lol.

Some tips:
    1) Sketch what you see; as often as you can. (This would be like training for a tennis match) The more realistic and close to the model, the better.
    2) Decide on a medium you're best at. (Instead of going for a medium you enjoy using but are so-so at in terms of results, choose a medium that shows off your talents instead) In my case, I ended up using watercolor. It might have been a hassle to bring all the stuff in but it was all worth it.

Good luck!
    Kapag po natapos ko na yung Certificate Degree at tinuloy ko sa Bachelor's Degree, pwede na po ako mag-shift sa ibang course? Salamat po.

Quote Originally Posted by w33dboi View Post

Thank you!
    May TDT po for Theater Arts. May form na po yung kaibigan ko e. Punta lang po kayo sa College of Arts and Letters. Good Luck!

may result na ba yung College of Music TDT last March 10? ipopost kaya yun online? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtzky View Post
    may result na ba yung College of Music TDT last March 10? ipopost kaya yun online? thanks.
    Hindi ata e. Nabasa ko sa website ng UP College of Music, Sa bulletin board daw sa College of Music ipopost. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by plokiju View Post
    Talent Determination Test is an additional requirement for courses like Music and Fine Arts. As the name suggests, it is to determine whether a student who passed the UPCAT and qualified for the said courses have the talent or skill needed. In case of a College of Music passer, he/she has to perform using their instruments or their voice... It's more of an audition. For CFA, more on showing your skills also plus portfolio(not sure regarding this) .This test is only available to those who applied in the College of Music and CFA and then passed the UPCAT.

For the Certificate Degree, i believe it would only last for 2 or 3 years and they will only get fewer courses/subjects (concentrated on their respective fields). But they can still apply for the Bachelor's Degree and extend their stay.
    In both cases, one should pass the UPCAT.

If you passed both the UPCAT and the TDT, then you can finally enroll... you can only be able to shift to other courses after a year though.

Not sure regarding this, no idea about VisCom, not sure if UP is offering a course called VisCom.

None
    Have they changed the rules?

My brother graduated from the CFA. He only took the Talent Test. After completing the 3-year Certificate course, he simply went on to finish the A.B. Fine Arts (Diploma) course. And no, he didn't have to pass the UPCAT to do so.

P.S. Visual Communications (VisCom) is a major (along with Painting, Sculpture, etc) under the A.B. Fine Arts degree.

Hi! Im interested in applying for vis comm! may i ask, what if my forte is oil pastels? Haha, since bawal oil. Is there another coloring medium you guys can recommend? whats the usual medium applicants use? also, how many pieces should there be in the portfolio?

Quote Originally Posted by indiealternative View Post
    Hi! Im interested in applying for vis comm! may i ask, what if my forte is oil pastels? Haha, since bawal oil. Is there another coloring medium you guys can recommend? whats the usual medium applicants use? also, how many pieces should there be in the portfolio?

Hello! I'm a viscomm grad and I think I can help you haha. You can actually use oil pastel, it's different from oil paint. The only reason why the admin doesn't allow oil paint is that because it takes time to dry...eh you only have a day for the exam haha...I actually used pastel before :P

For the portfolio, it's up to you. If you think you can impress the interviewer (professor) with just 1 work, then go!

Hello po

I'd like to ask po about the TDT sa Dentistry po sa UP Manila. Ano po ang gagawin dun? Thanks Po!

Hi! I'm also planning to take up Fine Arts, major in Visual Communication this year. I'm from UP Visayas campus, so I'll be applying as a transferee. I'm really curious about the TDT... What do you usually do during TDT? Mahirap ba yun? ANd the portfolio, how many pieces of artworks would be okay? I'm still kind of confused right now, not to mention nervous. I really, really hope I could pass the TDT and other tests. Hindi na kasi ako masyado naka practice sa pag drawing o pag paint.

Question, guys.

Let's say I did not pass the UPCAT and I've passed the talent test. How many years of the talent-course should I finish before shifting to a non-talent college program like Journalism?

Guys :)

Let say I pass the TDT in Fine Arts and completed the 3yr course, can I shift to any college after gaining that certificate?

thanks !