The 2012 Book Challenge - Page 20 | Books and Literature | PinoyExchange

Page 20 of 64 First ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... Last
    Gab Scardragon strandedstranger's Avatar

The 2012 Book Challenge

The 2012 Book Challenge

Description:

We all live in a busy world where there are so many things to do yet with so little time to finish them and oftentimes we forget to feed our mind. Every activity seemed to be borne out of habits, too mundane, too common, too acquainted. Sometimes we should find a portion of our time away from the rigors of our work and from the complicities of the roles that befall on our shoulder in our everyday living. We should know how to distract ourselves to keep our sanity intact. Arguably there’s no better way to do just that but by reading.

Some may not be accustomed to reading many books in a year, some may even find a hard time to finish even a couple of books and there are also some who just can’t find time to sit down and read a book. There’s no denying however that we can feel a sense of accomplishment every time we are able to finish a book. You know what, it’s never too late to form a habit of reading bookd.
    Setting a goal say, a particular number of books is a good start.

The 2012 Book Challenge is a personal challenge by each person to himself to read as many books as his time permits him. This is not to say that merely reading the book on its surface will suffice, participants are expected to digest what the book is all about.
    The challenge shall work as a reward system for bookworms and for those who wants to establish this habit. This challenge shall also operate with an honesty system such that participants will have to police themselves. Books one will be listing should be the books that one has read and understood. As a corollary goal to the challenge, participants are expected to articulate their thoughts about the book that they have just read. Participants will not only get to feed their minds but they will also get to think critically and brush-up their writing skills.

Be reminded that this is not a competition so there’s no need to ‘outperform’ fellow participants in the challenge. While yes, speed-reading is a wonderful skill to have, we should consider that not everyone reads a book in the same pace nor do people have the same amount of time at their disposal. As mentioned above, this is a personal challenge by a participant to himself, only this time he gets to share his milestones to everybody one book at a time.

The main objective of this challenge is to be able to read 40 books. Once reached, one can still add to his list if only for the sake of possible discussions.

Eligibility:
    Registered PinoyExchange members can join the challenge regardless of ‘join date’ anytime within the year.

What books can we include in our list?
    1. Everything that falls under the common definition of a book shall count. The Challenge Coordinator shall be liberal in determining which books are allowed.
    2. Electronic books and audio books are allowed.
    3. The Challenge shall make no distinction between book genres. Any genre will do. *
    4. Graphic novels are allowed however serialized mangas or comics shall be listed in volumes, not in chapters. [See ‘How to list a book.’]
    5. Blog or journal entries may be considered as literature but they are not books hence they cannot be included.
    6. Magazines, newspapers and journals cannot be included in the list.
    7. There shall be no maximum or minimum number of pages.
    8. We shall make no distinction as per what language the book was written.

General Guidelines
    1. Participants must finish 40 books and must be able to write a six-sentence review for each book.
    2. The Challenge coordinator strandedstranger shall go over your list. He will determine who has legitimately reached particular milestones.
    3. Questions about the challenge should be addressed to the challenge coordinator preferably through private message but you may also post them in the thread. Give the challenge coordinator at least three (3) days to answer your queries.
    4. Pins will not be awarded automatically upon reaching a milestone. Awarding of pins may take a few days at most.
    5. Should the challenge coordinator need to take some time off the boards, the challenge coordinator will assign his responsibilities to another participant or to one of the administrators of the PinoyExchange forum. Announcement will be made should this happen.
    6. Participants are allowed to discuss anything related to the books listed in the thread.

How do we make our list?
    1. Participants must first send a private message to the challenge coordinator strandedstranger their intent to join. This shall be for housekeeping purposes. The challenge coordinator will be double-checking your list every now and then just to make sure that no titles are listed twice and if the mechanics are followed.
    2. Participants who have already listed their titles prior to this post shall include in their private message the current list of books that they have read.
    3. Participants must list titles that he has finished. The participants can list down the details of the book like the one below:

Quote Originally Posted by strandedstranger View Post
      (11) The Last Olympian

Author:Rick Riordan
      Time: 01/22/2012 to 01/23/2012
      No. of pages: 382
      Rating: of 5

Review:

• If not for the ending (Luke and the prophecy), this would have been my favorite book.
      • I must say the showdown between the forces of Kronus and the demi-gods are well-done. Having been gone to NY myself, I can imagine how the Empire State Building is being heavily guarded how the entrance to Manhattan is defended.
      • The 'spy' could have been used early on but somehow it took even the likes of Chiron to realize that they have a mole at camp.
      • Clarisse being side-tracked because of her pride over a chariot is disappointing. Riordan could have made a different excuse for her not to participate immediately.
      • The battle between Typhon and the Gods is a well-played distraction and the battle can have real life counterparts (typhoon + thunder + tsunami). I can't wait to see this in the big screen.
      • Humor is still present and I must say the almost all the important figures are given depth in this book. And the Gods are pretty much in-character and consistent even after the war. Even the Oracle herself has been given relevance. Even Poseidon humoring Zeus in the end is comedic gold.
      • The participation of Hades is well-thought of. It was planned out well even down to the detail of Nico's mom. It is note-worthy how Nico was able to outdo his fatal flaw: the thirst for revenge by not seeking Zeus' head after what Zeus did to his mom. Instead he even helped Percy to defeat the forces of the Titans.
      • Another seemingly weak point of the story was when Percy had to bathe himself with the waters of the river of Styx but I thought it was key to unlocking Luke's character plus the explanation on why Achilles had his heel as a weakness is well-explained. Percy's small back portion plus Achilles' heel are there latch to humanity because humans can't be totally invulnerable. On a different level, this portion gives 'Achilles' heel' a different meaning altogether. Bathing in the river of Styx won't make you a God heck even Gods can sustain injuries in a battle.
      • The only thing that sucked balls in this book is how the prophecy panned out. And perhaps you can also count how miserably the attempt to form a love triangle has failed.
      (The details (i.e. author, number of pages, date started etc.) are optional but your fellow readers will appreciate if you do include these details to your list.)
    4. Aside from the title, the only other content that is mandatory to this challenge would be the six-sentence review. (Give your fellow participants an idea what the book is all about or you may articulate your experience while you were reading the book.)
    5. When writing your six sentence review, try not to dish-out spoilers that could potentially ruin other participants’ reading experience. If spoilers are really necessary in the review make sure you use spoiler tags.
    6. If the book is written in English, participants should write a review in the same language. If the book is written in Filipino, participants should write a review in the vernacular. If the book is in French or any other language besides English and Filipino and you happen to understand the said language, the review must still be in English. Always bear in mind that other participants might be interested to the book you listed so it is imperative that you pen your review in a manner that any person can understand.
    7. If you happen to have picked an adult material please be careful when constructing your review since these boards might be accessible
    8. Before and after the review, make sure to list down the cumulative list of books you have read.
    9. Since this challenge is an incentive system that will reward participants, pins will be awarded each time they reach predetermined milestones (please see ‘Milestones’) until they have completed the challenge.
    10. To complete the challenge, participants must be able to read 40 books by the end of the year.
    11. The participants are responsible to track their own list.

Milestones:
    1. 5 Books – Challengers’ pin
    2. 10 Books – “I read 10 Books” pin
    3. 20 Books – “I read 20 Books” pin
    4. 40 Books – “I completed the 2012 Book Challenge” pin

Plagiarism

• If it is proven that a participant has posted content that does not have proper citation or has not followed known rules on citing sources, said participant will be subject to the rules of the user agreement and his pins will be removed from his profile. The organizer and PinoyExchange will not be held responsible once a participant has committed plagiarism.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
    1. What if prior to joining this challenge I have already read some books; can I include them in my list?
      Yes, provided that you shall still make a six-sentence review and include the time frame you have read each of the books.
    2. If I am not sure that the material I have picked is considered a book, how would I know if said material can be counted?
      The challenge coordinator will be liberal on what should count as book and if in case you are not sure, you may leave a message on the challenge coordinator’s inbox any time.
    3. Could I still list a book in this thread even if I don’t have an intention to join the challenge?
      Of course it would be better if you challenge yourself to write a review of the book you have just read. This is a way of reassuring yourself that you have actually understood what you have read but if you really don’t have the time to spare some time to write a review, you may still list down the titles that you have just read however those titles without review shall not be acknowledged as part of your list.
    4. If I am a pin farmer, should I even bother joining the challenge?
      Yes and No. Yes if you sincerely want to start a habit of reading books. No if you are doing this for the pin, because remember you are not cheating us you are cheating yourself.
    5. If I think I have reached a milestone, how do I make sure that I get to be awarded with the pin?
      The challenge coordinator will be monitoring the thread at least three to five times a week. I will personally recheck your list and pins will be awarded once I have seen that you have reached a milestone. Pins will be awarded once I have checked your list. You may give me a heads-up every time you have reached a particular milestone.
    6. If I have read 40 books and I have completed the challenge, should I still continue with my list?
      Yes. Surprises are in store for those who opted to take the extra mile.
    7. Aside from the pins, would there be other prizes and if so, how will the winner be determined?
      I don’t want to use the word ‘prizes’ to describe the incentives of this challenge because this is not a competition, this is a personal challenge; However as the challenge rolls there will be surprises in store. Prizes may come from me or PinoyExchange.
    8. Sounds boring, will there be twists in this challenge?
      I assure you that I will be throwing a little something in here during the course of the challenge.

PEx Choice Books of 2012
    By December, those who have included in their list, books that will be released within this year shall be included in a team who will determine 12 of the best books of 2012.

List of Confirmed Participants

To the following participants, I have considered your list even if you have not included a six-sentence review however since the PEx administrator has confirmed this as a challenge with incentives to be handed out, the rules outlined above shall be implemented.

Less than 5 Books
    • thekaisermarc
      1. The Thief- Megan Whalen Turner
      2. Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins
      3. The Golden Compass- Philip Pullman
    • japspt
      1. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
      2. The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
    • cyberfunk
      1. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
      2. Cadillac Beach - Tim Dorsey
      3. Torpedo Juice - Tim Dorsey
    • kobe_lai
      1. Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan by Bob Ong
    • indigo77
      1. The Lying Game by Sara Shepard
      2.The Death Cure
    • floorfiller
      1. Bedded for the italian's pleasure
      2. pride and prejudice
      3. p.s i love you
    • michymichymoo
      1. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
      2. Diana: The Making of a Saint- Ted Harrison
      3. Like the Flowing River - Paulo Coelho
    • Joshua 526
      1. The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss
      2. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield
    • dikya
      1. The Picture of Dorian Gray: The Uncensored Original Text
    • Aurelio Buendia
      1. Clive Cussler's Arctic Drift
      2. Bob Ong's Lumayo ka nga sa kin
    • akeanon
      1. the best of chico and delamar's the morning rush top 10
      2. lumayo ka nga sa akin (bob ong)
    • cwayzi
      1. Pretty Little Liars
    • ricin
      1. THE GATHERING by Anne Enright
    • tintura_de_yodo
      1. Macarthur by Bob Ong
    • scribblergeek
      1. The Vast Fields of Ordinary
    • kai0315
      1. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
      2. Death Dance - Linda Fairstein
      3. Under the Dome - Stephen King
    • marimari678
      1. Norwegian wood(reread) by Haruki Murakami
      2.The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami
      3.The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
      4. Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
    • luthien826
      1. The Amber Spyglass
    • krizbits
      1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
      2. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

5 to 9 Books
    • brrrrr!!!
      1. Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto
      2. 1Q84- Haruki Murakami
      3. black dogs - ian mcewan
      4. Catching Fire
      5. Mockingjay
    • nozmail
      1. 999: twenty-nine original tales of horror and suspense - al sarrantonio
      2. a christmas carol
      3. black dogs - ian mcewan
      4. crooked little vein - warren ellis
      5. the call of cthulhu and other weird tales - hp lovecraft
      6. the scarecrow (audiobook)- michael connelly
      7. alice's adventures in wonderland - lewis carroll
    • schizo_me
      1. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
      2. 1Q84
      3. The Best of Chico and Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
      4. Divergent - by Veronica Roth
      5. The Help - kathryn stockett
      6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly close - Jonathan Safran
    • drewzx_me
      1. Playing the Odds
      2. Tempting Fate
      3. All the Possibilities
      4. One man's art
      5. The Sands of Team
      6. The Prize
      7. Three Fates
      8. The Inventions of Hugo Cabret
    • pinoy2781
      1. the hour i first believed - wally lamb
      2. she's come undone - wally lamb
      3. twisted 9 - jessica zafra
      4. coraline - neil gaiman
      5. dreaming water - gail tsukiyama
      6. night of many dreams - gail tsukiyama
      7. ang mga kaibigan ni mama susan - bob ong
    • LimpBwiZit
      1. A World Without Walls - Michael Moore
      2. On Globalization - George Soros
      3. Karl Marx (biography) - Francis Wheen
      4. Creative Capitalism - Bill Gates and Warren Buffett dialogues
      5. Peeling the Onion (autobiography) - Günter Grass

10-19 Books
    • yakibuke
      1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K Rowling
      2. Dangadang - Aurelio Agcaoili
      3. Elizabeth Costello - J.M Coetzee
      4. way to paradise - mario vargas llosa
      5. seducing the demon: writing for my life - erica jong
      6. making straight circles - maria l.m. fres-felix
      7. harry potter and the goblet of fire - j.k rowling
      8. living to tell the tale - gabriel garcia marquez
      9. personal - rene villanueva
      10. art of war - sun tzu
      11. Lolita - vladimir nabokov
      12. Blindnes - Jose Saramago
    • strandedstranger
      1. The Subculture of Violence
      2. Heart of Darkness
      3. Hunger Games
      4. Catching Fire
      5. Mockingjay
      6. Divergent
      7. The Lightning Thief
      8. The Sea of Monsters
      9. The Titan's Curse
      10. The Battle of Labyrinth
      11. The Last Olympian
    Last edited by strandedstranger; Feb 23, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

@ stranded what does it mean kapag mayroong * sa title?

^^
    I think yun yung mga latest releases, na baka mapasama sa Choice Books of 2012, I'm not really sure.

-----

Shoot, iisang book pa lang ako. To think na yung next book ko is nasa ilalim lang ng unan sa kama ko, ready to be read at any moment. Sobrang walang energy pagkadating sa bahay e.

^so we are encouraged to include books released in 2012 in our lists? if not, only pins will be given as rewards? my list includes those released in the past years plus i plan to catch up on some classics.

Sorry the asterisked items are the books that I am particularly interested in reading.

@japspt, you are encouraged to include books released in 2012 however it does not make any difference insofar as qualifying for the 'surprises'. As of now, there's no approved incentive for those who will be reading books released within the year.
    Last edited by strandedstranger; Feb 23, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

naks, pin! Will post my reviews over the weekend. Have read 6 or 7 already...

3. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson (672 pages)

Review: While this seems to be the weakest of the series, I’d still give this a thumbs up just because Larsson gave a satisfactory conclusion to the series. It wasn’t as suspense-driven as its predecessors and one needs PATIENCE to Larsson’s never-ending introduction of new characters and redundancy of mentioning the events that already unfolded. I almost gave up on this book but glad I didn’t because the last 200 pages or so were worth reading. It did tie the loose ends that book 2 left in the same caliber, suspense wise, as book 1 and 2. But this cannot stand alone and one must definitely read book 1 and 2. I generously give this 4 stars.

I was hesitant to read this at first but after a few pages I was hooked. Reviews rate this as a book young adults most probably would prefer but I think even adults would enjoy this one. I love how the author described the Circus, the magical duel, the elaborate tents/attractions & the Circus people. I also like way how Marco & Celia’s love story unfold, it’s not too cheesy (for me). I wanted to have my Marco someday too hehe. Anyway, I’m personally not a big fan of circus but this book makes me want to visit one. I now consider myself as one of the members of ‘rêveurs’.

Looking forward on how it will turn out in the movies. I would definitely wear my red scarf proudly when I watch this.

*Sorry, I know this is not as useful as it could be but this is all I could do.

Currently reading:
    4. The Cell - Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by japspt View Post

3. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson (672 pages)

Review: While this seems to be the weakest of the series, I’d still give this a thumbs up just because Larsson gave a satisfactory conclusion to the series. It wasn’t as suspense-driven as its predecessors and one needs PATIENCE to Larsson’s never-ending introduction of new characters and redundancy of mentioning the events that already unfolded. I almost gave up on this book but glad I didn’t because the last 200 pages or so were worth reading. It did tie the loose ends that book 2 left in the same caliber, suspense wise, as book 1 and 2. But this cannot stand alone and one must definitely read book 1 and 2. I generously give this 4 stars.
    yeah, i think the girl with the dragon tattoo is still the best. the second book is a good cliffhanger while the third is a little letdown. overall, a good trilogy. God bless stieg larsson's soul.

13. Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix - J.K Rowling

7. I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella

> a romantic comedy, with a bit of drama and suspense;
    > just like the other Kinsella books, the heroine is a vulnerable , average girl who ends up with a hot, good looking, and very successful guy..; --- not a spoiler
    > enjoyable , light read , but not as funny as the Shopaholic series.. but I think the story is better than 1st shopaholic book ( didn't read the whole series )

Michael Cordy's "The Miracle Strain"
    For the sake of entertainment, I like it. But overall, Michael's atheistic or agnostic beliefs overshadowed the ultimate storyline, and I think it was to the detriment of the plot.

Addendum

The Organizer reserves the right to choose who he will allow to join the challenge. This is a necessary rule to prevent pin farming for those who wants to join the challenge just because of the pin. [Note that four pins are up for grabs]

EDIT:

I stand corrected
    Last edited by hethler; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Dude, I have considered you in the list. The addendum was for no specific person.

Quote Originally Posted by yakibuke View Post
    13. Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix - J.K Rowling
    I may have considered your twelve titles but from the time I posted the mechanics, I shall not be considering those that does not have a six-sentence review. You see it's easy to claim that you've read a book but proving it is a different story. This is not only a reading challenge but a writing challenge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kai0315 View Post

http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dy...eight=450&.jpg
    I was hesitant to read this at first but after a few pages I was hooked. Reviews rate this as a book young adults most probably would prefer but I think even adults would enjoy this one. I love how the author described the Circus, the magical duel, the elaborate tents/attractions & the Circus people. I also like way how Marco & Celia’s love story unfold, it’s not too cheesy (for me). I wanted to have my Marco someday too hehe. Anyway, I’m personally not a big fan of circus but this book makes me want to visit one. I now consider myself as one of the members of ‘rêveurs’.

Looking forward on how it will turn out in the movies. I would definitely wear my red scarf proudly when I watch this.

*Sorry, I know this is not as useful as it could be but this is all I could do.

Currently reading:
    4. The Cell - Stephen King
    All these titles are already noted save for the last one.

you dont have to consider. hindi ako interesado sa pins. hindi rin ako interesadong patunayan na nabasa ko talaga yung libro. sa madaling sabi ay tinatamad ako gumawa ng rebyu. katulad nung last year, ganun lang ang gagawin ko. ilista dito ang mga librong natapos ko.

Page 20 of 64 First ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... Last