PEx Highlights

PROMO: The Book of Life

Join the promo and get a chance to win exclusive The Book of Life merchandise!

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Page 1 of 21 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Foreign Service Examinations

Is there a topic like this before. please inform me. anyhow, i am considering whether to take this exam or not. what are the benefits if you've passed it? thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by judge_ojo View Post
    Is there a topic like this before. please inform me. anyhow, i am considering whether to take this exam or not. what are the benefits if you've passed it? thanks...
    Hi, just saw this brand new thread, im a B.S. Foreign Service graduate from Lyceum Intramuros in 2004. Are you a B.S.FS grad too?

Quote Originally Posted by judge_ojo View Post
    Im no longer a believer of foreign service, DFA, civil service, and govt career opportunities because of unfairness and corruption specially in applying for a job. Particularly in DFA, even if you passed the 2 civil service exmas, you need to know someone from the inside in order to get hired and be regularized. So I guess my answer for the benefit of the exam is the chance to get promoted to a higher position such as senior supervisor or high embassy positions such as consuls or ambassadors.. which is 50 50 chance coz those depends if chosen by the DFA secretary, by The President, or through succession by someone resining/retiring, but most of all on how hard is your grip to the person in charge of promoting you (how much you suck up and kiss @ss). In other words theres no assurance even if you pass it.

tsaka pag nagpost sila ng ad ang goverment ng job position kadalasan formalities lang yun uunahin nila syempre kadikit nila. kaya ginagawa nila yan para makontrol kanila.

Ambaba ng passing rate dito.

Iilan lang pumapasa dyan, kahit ibang ambassador and consuls di pumasa dyan, napunta lang sila sa position nila dahil sa kapit.

Its understandable if youre a die hard DFA civil service servant and you really want that as a goal to become an ambassador, good for you if you pass it. But on the other hand, what are your benefits? if you pass it doesnt mean instant promotion. Still the ordinary govt kakarampot sweldo job. And whats the sense of the exam being so hard? even if you get promoted your job is still protecting the integrity and welfare of Filipinos and foreign policies with other countres which in short kiss *** suck up sa ibang countries and pabayaan mga Pilipino, tulad na lang nung pending death penalty sa isang Pilipino sa China.

I do not wish to believe, this early on, that you simply have to "know" someone to get in.

If you already have the qualifications for it, knowing someone inside could help you...

But if you're not qualified, or as highly qualified in comparison to someone who is also applying for the same position, kahit may help ka pa, I don't think matatanggap ka. Unless you really rub elbows with someone in a powerful position. Inside help can only take you so far.

I don't think basta-basta nagkaka-openings sa government, so you really have to up your game, in order to get in, if that's what you really want. Being a Civil Service exam passer does not give you a direct ticket to anything, eligibility lang siya, increases chances. Siyempre kung ka-level mo ang isang "kaagaw" mo sa job, eh tapos may recommendation pa yun from someone, siyempre siya yung uunahin.

Dog-eat-dog world nga daw diba.

Pero you know what, I do think that if you really push yourself, and work your way into making yourself better than whosoever is competing for the same spot...you can do it.

I think talo parin ng masipag at matalino ang taong may connection lamang. Pero yun nga, kung medyo sablay ka na nga, or so-so ka lang...tapos meron din na so-so rin lang pero ang difference ay siya'y may connection, eh di obvious na more than likely, yun yung mananalo.

--------
    To the OP of this thread, I don't really know if there's already a thread about this, if I find it, I'll post it here.

If you have time and P500 to spare, I say take the test! Especially if you're really interested in the field of Foreign Service. If you pass, then you pass...if you don't...well, I guess you'd have to re-evaluate things...see what went wrong, review for it, retake it if you're still interested.

They say it's really difficult to pass it, but you won't really know for sure how you'd do if you don't try.

I'm currently thinking about taking it in the coming year...at the very least, I really would just like to how I'd fare.

If I pass it, then I proceed to the next level of the exam, I guess. If I don't, then taking the initiative to give it a shot has served its purpose. I'd get a better clue on how I should handle things the next time around.

I really encourage you to try. Don't get disheartened.

---
    I know if you pass the Foreign Service Exams (all the way to the very end, that is), you first become a Foreign Service Officer IV. I know you get all sorts of training (including languages and such...maybe even etiquette?) and some clothing allowance.

I think you spend a year or two here, first...and then after that you get assigned overseas. Not sure how they choose where you get assigned, but I know that's when you start earning in a foreign denomination (USD?). Seems you get more perks once you're already assigned to a post. You don't earn as much when you're just starting out, but it's at least in the Php 20k range.

Quote Originally Posted by reikokuna View Post
    I do not wish to believe, this early on, that you simply have to "know" someone to get in.

If you already have the qualifications for it, knowing someone inside could help you...

But if you're not qualified, or as highly qualified in comparison to someone who is also applying for the same position, kahit may help ka pa, I don't think matatanggap ka. Unless you really rub elbows with someone in a powerful position. Inside help can only take you so far.

I don't think basta-basta nagkaka-openings sa government, so you really have to up your game, in order to get in, if that's what you really want. Being a Civil Service exam passer does not give you a direct ticket to anything, eligibility lang siya, increases chances. Siyempre kung ka-level mo ang isang "kaagaw" mo sa job, eh tapos may recommendation pa yun from someone, siyempre siya yung uunahin.

Dog-eat-dog world nga daw diba.

Pero you know what, I do think that if you really push yourself, and work your way into making yourself better than whosoever is competing for the same spot...you can do it.

I think talo parin ng masipag at matalino ang taong may connection lamang. Pero yun nga, kung medyo sablay ka na nga, or so-so ka lang...tapos meron din na so-so rin lang pero ang difference ay siya'y may connection, eh di obvious na more than likely, yun yung mananalo.

--------
    To the OP of this thread, I don't really know if there's already a thread about this, if I find it, I'll post it here.

If you have time and P500 to spare, I say take the test! Especially if you're really interested in the field of Foreign Service. If you pass, then you pass...if you don't...well, I guess you'd have to re-evaluate things...see what went wrong, review for it, retake it if you're still interested.

They say it's really difficult to pass it, but you won't really know for sure how you'd do if you don't try.

I'm currently thinking about taking it in the coming year...at the very least, I really would just like to how I'd fare.

If I pass it, then I proceed to the next level of the exam, I guess. If I don't, then taking the initiative to give it a shot has served its purpose. I'd get a better clue on how I should handle things the next time around.

I really encourage you to try. Don't get disheartened.

---
    I know if you pass the Foreign Service Exams (all the way to the very end, that is), you first become a Foreign Service Officer IV. I know you get all sorts of training (including languages and such...maybe even etiquette?) and some clothing allowance.

I think you spend a year or two here, first...and then after that you get assigned overseas. Not sure how they choose where you get assigned, but I know that's when you start earning in a foreign denomination (USD?). Seems you get more perks once you're already assigned to a post. You don't earn as much when you're just starting out, but it's at least in the Php 20k range.
    Thanks for the info and encouragement. But I have long lost hope in the course I finished BSFS, in getting work in DFA, and wanting to be a Govt. employee. I should have just changed course when I was in college at hindi nanghinayang sa mga natapos ko ng subjects at lumampas ng 4 na taon. Napaka misleading ng Dean and mga Department professors ko noon. Now im stuck with this very low job opportunity course, kung di dahil sa call center baka wala akong trabaho ngayun.

But somehow when I compare myself to my only classmate in college (yes in our whole batch 2004) who got in DFA, im better regarding salary, coz im receiving 3 times bigger than him. Retirement? I can easily buy that from any private insurance companies. Stableness? The biggest industry in the Phils now is the Call Center/BPO industry and will be for many years to come. Growth? Growth has its own meaning in every job item in every company and industry. So bakit ako magta-tyaga at magpapakahirap sa DFA?

In my view ganito kasi yun. There is a big difference in ratio between hirings and yearly graduates. DFA is not expanding to meet the increasing demand of the public and foreign service, as it is lang. If they expand (making a new department) it would probably be temporary and made up of transfered govt employees. Very few resigns or retires from DFA in a year to make way for an available position, plus they like taking OJTs because they work for free. Instead of hiring someone to do a certain job, they would rather take an OJT applicant.

Because of that, the hundreds of graduates cannot be accomodated by DFA or even by other NGOs or embassies or any other foreign service related jobs. Plus they dont just hire particularly BSFS graduates. So dito na papasok yung unfairness, syempre mangunguna na sa pila ng mahahire mga may kakilala sa DFA or other high ranking govt officials, graduates ng mg expensive universities tulad ng DLSU, mga civil service exam passers na may experience na in working in other govt offices/departments. Palakasan na. So im sorry but in reality, talo ng may kakilala/connections ang masipag at matalino in here.

At pag nasa loob ka na, doing your best is not enough, you need to have masteral degree pa and be very suc up kiss @ss sa mga connection mo to be promoted, at kung walang magreresign/retire walang mapopromote, so how long do you think youll have to be a low employee before you get promoted to a foreign service officer IV or any supervisor level? 5-10-15-20 years? That long?. So FS examination, why doest it need to be hard? Why is it necessary to be passed? What is its relation to be promoted and be assigned to a foreign post? What is the assurance that youll earn USD and its not in same level of your peso salary and if your assigned to a foreign post like in the middle east. And all of those hardships for a 20k (really 20k? I dont believe it, baka lower than 17k) salary and little benefits like clothing allowance? I can easily earn that even without overtime pay and i am already receiveing many kinds of allowances.

FS exam, sorry no thanks, di bale na lang..

Why is it so hard? Because a LOT of people want IN. There's so many choices, lots of graduates from different Universities, different fields of work.

As for DFA, If you're not willing to take up Masteral and learn to get along with people (not necessarily suck up, and "kiss @ss", as you say)...then of course you won't get that far. You only get what you put into it. How can you be "any different" from anyone else, if you don't push yourself hard enough, in the right direction of what they'd be looking for in someone to promote. If you're just in it for the money, then certainly you'd need to look elsewhere.

Tama ka, you may have been misled by your professors...and I'm sorry that you're really frustrated about it. You took your chances, but hey, life isn't easy.

Medyo sour-graping ang tone ng post mo, regarding the issue, but I don't blame you. And actually, again, tama ka naman eh. At least you're earning a lot, in comparison to that batchmate of yours who got in DFA. Parang mas happy ka naman right now. So, hey, maybe it was actually lucky that you were lead to a different path.

---
    You don't get "promoted" as Foreign Service Officer IV. It's the entry level position for when you pass the FSE.

People value things differently. The DFA or the field of Foreign Service isn't exactly promising glamour and riches. It doesn't need to prove itself to be worthy enough for anyone to join. Do your research, and see if you really want IN.

Many institutions have their own issues, di lang as publicized. I heard the UN can be a little "notorious" for not sending people's salary's on time. It really depends on a lot of factors.

People value things differently. If you take advantage of it, you may be entitled to a lot of opportunities...and you can choose to take it or not.

I read that when you do get assigned to a posting abroad, you will be provided with a salary and allowance that will give you a decent/comfortable lifestyle, but it still really depends on how you manage your money and where you are stationed at.

Have you ever come across Toe's blog? Her blog is at kurokuroatbp.com
    It's basically her blog as an FSO. I think it has become a gathering spot for people who are interested in knowing more about the job.

Here's a link to her FAQs section, regarding FSE:

http://kurokuroatbp.com/?page_id=1502

Hi, I have a question. I graduated just last April and have no professional experience as of yet (still applying, hoho). If I apply for the FSE in January, will they (DFA) even bother to accept my application? I've read no restriction about work experience, but I have doubts if inexperienced applicants are really welcome. You know, they would just get the P500 fee then send my application straight to the shredder. Ugh. I recognize that experience matters, but I want to know if they give applicants the chance to prove their worth by some other measure. Thanks!

Well, from what I know, you take some sort of pre-qualifying test. You pay the P500, take the that screening test...and if you pass, you move onto the next stage.

They'll take your money, and let you take the test. It's up to your abilities if you make it to the next stage.

You'll really be able to gather more info over at Toe's blog, kurokuroatbp.com if you want to know what the next stage after you take that prequalifying exam.

Quote Originally Posted by i.researcher View Post
    Hi, I have a question. I graduated just last April and have no professional experience as of yet (still applying, hoho). If I apply for the FSE in January, will they (DFA) even bother to accept my application? I've read no restriction about work experience, but I have doubts if inexperienced applicants are really welcome. You know, they would just get the P500 fee then send my application straight to the shredder. Ugh. I recognize that experience matters, but I want to know if they give applicants the chance to prove their worth by some other measure. Thanks!
    I'm planning to take the exam too. No, you don't need to have work experience, that is not required. As long as you meet the minimum requirements and pass the needed documents, you should be able to take the foreign service exam. This will be a seties of tests, noth oral and written.

Quote Originally Posted by reikokuna View Post
    Why is it so hard? Because a LOT of people want IN. There's so many choices, lots of graduates from different Universities, different fields of work.

As for DFA, If you're not willing to take up Masteral and learn to get along with people (not necessarily suck up, and "kiss @ss", as you say)...then of course you won't get that far. You only get what you put into it. How can you be "any different" from anyone else, if you don't push yourself hard enough, in the right direction of what they'd be looking for in someone to promote. If you're just in it for the money, then certainly you'd need to look elsewhere.

Tama ka, you may have been misled by your professors...and I'm sorry that you're really frustrated about it. You took your chances, but hey, life isn't easy.

Medyo sour-graping ang tone ng post mo, regarding the issue, but I don't blame you. And actually, again, tama ka naman eh. At least you're earning a lot, in comparison to that batchmate of yours who got in DFA. Parang mas happy ka naman right now. So, hey, maybe it was actually lucky that you were lead to a different path.

---
    You don't get "promoted" as Foreign Service Officer IV. It's the entry level position for when you pass the FSE.

People value things differently. The DFA or the field of Foreign Service isn't exactly promising glamour and riches. It doesn't need to prove itself to be worthy enough for anyone to join. Do your research, and see if you really want IN.

Many institutions have their own issues, di lang as publicized. I heard the UN can be a little "notorious" for not sending people's salary's on time. It really depends on a lot of factors.

People value things differently. If you take advantage of it, you may be entitled to a lot of opportunities...and you can choose to take it or not.

I read that when you do get assigned to a posting abroad, you will be provided with a salary and allowance that will give you a decent/comfortable lifestyle, but it still really depends on how you manage your money and where you are stationed at.

Have you ever come across Toe's blog? Her blog is at kurokuroatbp.com
    It's basically her blog as an FSO. I think it has become a gathering spot for people who are interested in knowing more about the job.

Here's a link to her FAQs section, regarding FSE:

http://kurokuroatbp.com/?page_id=1502
    Foreign Service and DFA positions and passing the FSE are long term goals. Youre right in needing to push yourself for this goal because its more of a CAREER than EARNING TO LIVE. In my view, the main purpose of finishing college is to earn more than a highschool or vocational graduate and have a more permanent work position. To have a degree/diploma that will be acknowledged by different industries and companies to offer you a regular employment/contract and not just 6 months. In short, yes it is about the money, im in it for the money, I work to live and dont live to work. Nobody works for free even in DFA, not unless its a voluntary job like preaching or red cross.

If youre still under your parents house financially dependent to your parents or older siblings or in your wife's/husband's salary in your everyday house necesities in which you need money then you can afford having this career. Because someone is still paying for you or at least youre just contributing for the bills so its not important to you if you have a low salary and give importance to the career no matter how long and hard it takes. But when youre independent or chose to be independent, getting married, having a family, living in your own or rented house, buying your own food, paying your own bills etc.. trust me you will need the money there and then and you cant afford to have a long term career. I did my research and I really dont want IN and I am warning anyone who I come across who wants this career not unless they can afford it.

I have no problems in getting along with people thats why im a customer srevice professional and I dont like to have a masteral degree coz I cant afford it, dont have the time and money, and whats the purpose, im not in DFA. I have viewed firsthand how getting along with people means in the govt. Getting along with officemates is different from getting along to be promoted in many govt agencies and one of them is DFA. My mom worked as a civilian employee in Department of Budget and Management for 40 years before she retired in 2007. She got to the supervisor level 6 I think.. She got to those supervisor levels mainly because of older employees retiring opening positions to be promoted to. Her masteral never helped at all. She never got to the highest supervisor level because of not getting along the right way with people in charge. She chose to be honorable than the corrupt way. The same principle applies in DFA, only with different job items.

I may feel this way and as you say "Sour Graping Tone" but it doesnt mean I didnt dream once in working in DFA, becoming an ambassador or at least getting to a supervisor level in the future or at least working in NGOs or embassies. I even understood and accepted the fact that corruption inside is ordinary. What killed that goal in me is the unfairness in their hiring or career giving, coz they didnt give me a chance.. Back then I even applied for a job as an office staff in the school where I graduated college because I was a foreign service graduate. They didnt hire me, yes their own graduate was not able to get a job in the very school where he studied and paid thousands of pesos ..

@Mr. Roxy: You contradict yourself, and you do appear (to still be quite) bitter. If you truly WANT something, you have to sacrifice what is necessary. I understand the frustration, but you're being whiny in trying to justify why you are not where you wanted to be. You seem to like blaming outside forces for your inability to chase after your dreams, instead of looking at what you may be lacking.
    I think this mentality that you keep, is one of the main things that KEEPS YOU away from said "long term goal" that you really do not want to be "IN" on, other than for the sake of "money".

Do what needs to be done. Sacrificing what is necessary in order to achieve certain goals do not, however, promise anything. People say that you reap what you sow, but if you think that merely planting seeds would give you an instant ticket to reaping what your seed packets told you you'd be able to get, then you are out to be greatly disappointed.

You say you don't "like" to have a Master's degree because you can't afford it, and that to me is just...a convenient excuse. If you truly want one, there is a way. You have to be studious though, and excel...but if you're not willing to do that, then it will be much harder.

My parents, especially my father, had once been part of "the poorest of the poor" and what enabled them to get out of that, and into what they have achieved in life, IS determination and hard work. They were both scholars, and full time working students. My father even lived in the slums of manila (read: right outside the window was smokey mountain in all its "glory") for a few years, because that was the closest "free" housing he could get that is near work and University. He paid that debt of gratitude later on to his sister and brother in law, by paying for his nieces and nephews to go to school, but that's beside the point.

Point is, there would ALWAYS be an excuse, convenient or otherwise, to not be where you otherwise COULD be. The reason you were not hired for the job you applied for, more than likely, is because someone was better suited for the job. Someone else, got the position you were aiming for. Your school does not owe you anything for studying in their educational system. You were the one that required their services. They can't just hire you because you are an alumni. You would have the edge over people, if you had the best personality and credentials for the job, and happen to be a former student...but if you are "mediocre" in comparison to someone who also aimed for the same position, then you are SOL.

How were you, as a student, in terms of grades? See, if you were not even able to go beyond mediocre status as a student, you cannot expect that doors and windows of opportunities be easily available for you. You have to take extra effort, to pry doors and windows open if they do not present themselves to be instantly welcoming.

People value different things. You, value money. I won't be a hypocrite and claim that money isn't important to me, because it is. But, money to me is something I can work with. I can adjust my standard of living. I am lucky enough to have a place to stay, and though I do not technically "live with my parents", I am in touch with them. I am currently living off my own money, but I won't deny that I get aid here and there from my father, who can afford to do so from time to time because he has worked his way into being able to provide well for his family when it is needed.

I can pretty much be classified as being under a certain social status (middle or upper middle), but truthfully I was "deprived" of a number of basic necessities growing up (those expected to be a no-brainer for those who are in the same category), because 1) My parents were very busy people 2) My father held the mentality that since he was able to get to what he was able to achieve, with just a public school education (for basic ed), and barely having anything to eat, then we, his children should be thankful for whatever we are provided for, and should not complain.

...and we are, grateful, and rarely do complain, because we are aware of how things could be worse off, but from time to time I look back on how things could easily have been "easier" to deal with. Like how I didn't need to put up with my "talking shoe" that would get wet in the rain. My "talking shoe" that I would tape with electrical tape, for it to stay put. I studied in an exclusive all-girl's highschool, surrounded by rich and powerful people's daughters...and I. I had a talking shoe XD It wasn't a big deal, it was actually pretty funny. But looking back, that must have been a little sad because, we could afford to get me new shoes (and regular access to shampoo, and enough food, and school supplies) but I have always had the mentality that I need not always spend for myself, and I should be thankful...and it was ever so hard to approach my father for anything monetary...so yeah.

---
    Going slightly back to the original topic, I also dream of perhaps one day, being able to hold the position of ambassador, by first being an FSO. Whether I achieve that or not, would be up to how much effort I put in to make that happen, and the extent of abilities I am able to offer. There is nothing wrong with making use of the resources that one has. Just because one or both of my parents could aid me, when there is a need for me to ask for their help...that doesn't mean I would just keep depending on them. I will however, not say no to help if I need it. But I possess enough pride in myself, and in my abilities to be able to say that I can, if worse comes to worse, find whatever means is necessary in order to support myself, and still go after dreams that I truly wish to achieve.

Achievement of such dreams may not come immediately, but they will come so long as I keep focus.

What the FSE gives you, is a chance. It gives you a goal. It does not promise you riches, or power. What you do in between now, and reaching that goal, is what determines whether you would at all reach your "dream job" or not.

I would like to share Constantine Cavafy's poem, Ithaca. I feel this is relevant not only for those "dreaming" of reaching the status of FSO or ambassador, but for anyone who has "goals" they want to achieve.

ITHACA
    By Constantine P. Cavafy

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca,
    pray that the road is long,
    full of adventure, full of knowledge.
    The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
    the angry Poseidon -- do not fear them:
    You will never find such as these on your path,
    if your thoughts remain lofty, if a fine
    emotion touches your spirit and your body.
    The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
    the fierce Poseidon you will never encounter,
    if you do not carry them within your soul,
    if your soul does not set them up before you.

Pray that the road is long.
    That the summer mornings are many, when,
    with such pleasure, with such joy
    you will enter ports seen for the first time;
    stop at Phoenician markets,
    and purchase fine merchandise,
    mother-of-pearl and coral, amber, and ebony,
    and sensual perfumes of all kinds,
    as many sensual perfumes as you can;
    visit many Egyptian cities,
    to learn and learn from scholars.

Always keep Ithaca on your mind.
    To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
    But do not hurry the voyage at all.
    It is better to let it last for many years;
    and to anchor at the island when you are old,
    rich with all you have gained on the way,
    not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.

Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.
    Without her you would have never set out on the road.
    She has nothing more to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not deceived you.
    Wise as you have become, with so much experience,
    you must already have understood what these Ithacas mean.

16. Advertisement

Hey reikokuna, how do you go about reviewing for the test? I honestly have no idea where to start.

he is a political appointee, not a career diplomat, so obviously he did not take the FSE

stating the obvious, arent we? Im not trying to discourage anyone from taking the FSE, but i believe the vids show what kind of system we have. A system wherein people with connections, at the very least gets an inside track to the top positions, over those with only "galing and talino"

@reikokuna - We both have been replying very long to each other. No offense and I admit that youre good . Sorry if I have contradicted myself. Yes I am bitter and always will be about this. No matter how well prepared and educated you are, those outside forces are the ones who will screen you in every angle before you can enter. Do you honestly think theyre equal or neutral? They are abusing their powers and judging people like judging a book by its cover.

In DFA, how can you justify an OJT student applicant being hired than a college graduate Job applicant? How can you justify former and late DFA secretary Blas Ople in becoming a DFA secretary when he is not even a college graduate? How can you justify a DLSU Foreign Service Graduate more hirable than a Lyceum Foreign Service Graduate..? I have every right to be angry and blame those outside forces coz they are the ones who kept me from having a long term goal no matter how hard I worked and prepared myself in working there. In a lot of times, sacrificing and doing what needs to be done is not their way so they prevent you. You just wasted your time.

Excuse me but I feel that you pushed the envelope here too far.. Me not affording to enroll for a masteral degree IS a valid excuse. Where will I get an extra 20-30k money for the tution fee in a semester? I dont like borrowing money and my parents or sibings cant provide that amount for me neither will I ask it from them. Not all can be scholars or dean's lister with 50-100% cut in tution fees. If I have, I would rather spend it in my credit card bill, kids tution fees and everyday allowance, meralco bill, cable and internet bill, food and groceries, gas, house repairs, self allowance etc..

Maybe YOU can coz someone is supporting you or because youre too damn smart that you can be a dean's lister or full time scholar. Not every one is like you or can be like you or others who can afford enrolling for a masteral degree. But if circumstances were different, if they let me work in DFA, I would gladly enroll for a masteral degree. I'll save and conserve my salary or I would borrow money from my parents or siblings or other people, heck I'll even cash advance from my credit card.. But I didnt get in DFA didnt I? So whats the purpose of a masteral degree specially when I cant afford it?

Also in asking for my grades back in college, you have the audacity and who are you to ask that? If youre some kind of a big shot, what gave you the right to simpy look down on someone you dont know? FYI my grades back in college were very good, a lot specially major subjects have high grades and some minor subjects slightly low but no failure.

Can you blame me if a have low grades in ROTC? let me see you try going to school every sunday doing push ups wearing perspirefull fatigue uniform under the blazing sun. Can you blame me if I have low grades in my math subjects? Im not a math genuis I always get confused in the formulas no matter how hard I treid. Can you blame me in having low grades coz of terror professors? A lot of them deliberately give low grades just because they dont like you.

And when it comes to opportunities, dont tell me you dont know how low job opportunity is Foreign Service and how unfair a lot of companies and industries and govt agencies in hiring. When did you see an ad for a Foreign Service hiring for DFA, NGOs, Embassies, Consuls in the classifieds section of the sunday Manila Bulletin? Maybe some in the internet but with a mountain of requirements and guess what, same system or outside forces' unfairness to face before you can enter.

The smartest classmate I had in college who was a scholar from 1st yr 1st sem, after graduation he's on the same level like me, no one would hire him and suffered same loss in trying to get in DFA. He's happily employed in the call center industry just like me. In reality it doesnt matter what you did to graduate coz in this case even if youre transcript of records is gleaming with high grades, its just a display, an empty cup of achievement.

When it comes to my school, you are right in me needing their services back then and they dont owe me when it comes to jobs. But how can you justify a lot of schools and universities having a lot of their office staff and professors being their own graduates? Its an unwritten word of mouth debt of gratitude that a school or university hire its own graduates. My point here was my course is so low job opportunity that even the unversity itself doesnt hire them. So what if foreign service is not management, how hard could an offic staff position be? Call center work is a lot harder than that. We can be trained to be proficient and familiar in the position, still they dont give a damn.

Its nice to know something about your history. Good work and go pat yourself on the back. But I didnt ask for the full details, but you can go ahead and humble yourself out. I too have parents both suffered from poverty in their provinces and when they got to Metro Manila in the 1970's and they worked hard to be what they are now. I too have a worn out shoes in college, I only had 3 pairs of shoes in my whole college days, 1 for formal 1 for sports 1 for everyday use and that was my brown swatch shoes. It doesnt matter wether you can or cant buy new a new pair, what matters is how much you love and trust your shoes to get you there. It doesnt matter anymore what hapened back then if you suffered from poverty and how you fought it. What matters is what you do when you rise up out of the flame, thats how you appreciate and acknowledge the past.

This simple thread of a question about FSE have grown in the past few days as a debating ground for the 2 of us. Let me end it coz we both have our own beliefs. We cant prove each other wrong coz both of us thinks we are right in our own beliefs and the other is wrong and we get along in very few things. Lets leave it quits, no one won and no one lost, no is right and no one is wrong. I am always bitter in this subject coz I worked hard to graduate and have worked hard in work experiences just to be stopped in the end and have my hard work to waste coz my course was low job opportunity and out there there are a lot of unfair hirings with outside forces judging worngfully or corruptly including DFA NGOs Embassies Consuls so I question and criticize negatively the inside. You on the other hand chose to be positively outlooking and pridefull in your too much optimism. Its like domocracy vs communism, Mike Enriquez vs Noli de Castro, Anne Curtis vs Cristine Reyes etc whatever.. Tell you what, I compensated and went a different way in workng hard and having a long term goal as a professional thats why Im happy here in the call center industry. You chose to be in the Foreign Service Career way, be my guest, 1. go ahead and apply for a job in DFA and face those unfairness of the outside forces, 2. take that FSE exam and do your best to reach that long term goal to be a supervisor IV or Ambassador or Consul, 3. and enroll in masteral and finish it. After all who am I to stop you, I was just warning you, Im not your mommy or daddy, and you have resources to support you to live while working hard having a low salary to reach that long term goal. In exchange YOU REMIND ME WHEN YOU ACHIEVE THOSE 1 2 3 STEPS. Pex will be here for a long time and I could wait for your outcome and I will be happy to hear from you. In case somewhere along the way something stopped you or got exhausted and gave up, REMIND ME ALSO, I'll be happy to give you references or even refer you in the call center industry .

Page 1 of 21 1 2 11 ... LastLast