2011's topnotchers in Asia are (based on QS World University Rankings):
- University of Hong Kong (overall world rank: 22)
- The University of Tokyo (overall world rank: 25)
- National University of Singapore - NUS (overall world rank: 28)
- Kyoto University (overall world rank: 32)
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong (overall world rank: 37)
This is a great improvement over the course of the last decade. The improvements in the economies of the Far East have reaped dividends for many oriental universities.
Sadly, neither Ateneo, UP, nor DLSU made it to the upper echelons. These three also did not rank within the top 300 universities in 2011.