TRUST (2011): A Teen's Tragic Online Romance. Drama. | Movies | PinoyExchange
X

TRUST (2011): A Teen's Tragic Online Romance. Drama.

Lola_Rose's movie review.

A young teen falls smitten by a charming stranger on the Internet who feeds her low self-esteem. This eventually leads her to meet up with him, he rapes her, and it's never the same again with her and her family.

Trust delves on the psychological impact of the sexual assault to the 14-year-old school outcast, Annie, who met her first boyfriend on the Internet, and the gravity of pain and trauma the parents---particularly the father---had suffered from the tragedy. The film centralizes on Annie's innocent and distorted grasp of the crime and her father's violent rage and maddening desperation to catch the predator.

The film cackles with palpable tension, and the emotions run high in the film, strong and distinct, whether the dramatic scene is subtle, explosive or underlying. Never have I seen an intensely realistic and believable series of conflicts in a film, as well as multi-layered characters that even in their silence, in their slightest movements, expose a deep well of emotions and internal struggle. You feel a strong empathy, a clear understanding of how each family member deals with the tragedy-- and when their different coping mechanisms clash together, it's an emotional powerhouse.

And who would have ever imagined that the film was directed by Friends' David Schwimmer.

An Audience Choice for Best Actress at the Chicago Film Festival and the official selection at the Toronto Film Festival, Trust unexpectedly brings out raw emotions; a gripping and painful drama that will pull you into the psyche and heartbreaking agony of the main cast, will touch you with its universal truths, and will disturb you with the issue of trust.

With brilliant acting from Academy Award winners Clive Owen (the father), Catherine Keener (the mother), and Viola Davis (the therapist) and 14-year-old Liana Liberato (Annie), and a sincere, compassionate screenplay with excellently developed characters under a masterful direction, Trust is one haunting, triumphant film.

9.5/10
    Showing September 7, 2011 in Pilippine theaters.

trailer

Arrow

I've seen this na. Kaya don't you guys think that it's very important for parents to address the insecurities of teenagers, especially girls? Kasi 'yun naman ang root ng dilemma rito eh.

^Oo nga. Nakakalungkot.

White Light of Good WhiteTigerzord's Avatar
    I only watch drama if I hear some really very good reviews about it.
    And this one makes the cut.

"Superb performances & edgy material drive this dramatic thriller" -WhatCulture!

True. Bihira sa film ang nagkasama-sama na excellent actors. Three Oscar winners, and a brilliant performance by 14-year-old Liberato...galing. Galing ni David Schwimmer.

That's the challenge in any film - creating a believable conflict. Hindi parang mga drama dito sa Pinas, sigawan pero walang laman yung sinasabi saka weird yung conflict. Dito sa Trust malalim ang conflict. And kita mo yung strong difference ng bawat isang character: from their personalities to their psychological and emotional response to the tragedy. Maaawa ka sa kanila. Then madidisturb ka sa idea that you don't know everything about your family's lives.

Unforgettable film.

Here's a similarly themed movie, but this one is a true story. A docu. Not heavy drama, but sad and compelling as well.

This is an Ayala cinemas exclusive pala. The trailer I saw in the cinema house was compelling enough for me, will definitely watch this one

Quote Originally Posted by forg View Post
    This is an Ayala cinemas exclusive pala.
    Ohhh...I see. Bakit kaya? Trust was released in 2010 pa. Ahhh...maybe because SM cinemas no longer have R ratings. Puros PG-13-- because they're promoting family-oriented films. That's why why some R films are edited - adult material are cut in order for SM to show it. Which is sad, because some adult material are essential in some films. Nababawasan yung impact and meaning.

The trailer I saw in the cinema house was compelling enough for me, will definitely watch this one
    Yes, forg! Definitely! And looking forward to your review. I enjoy reading your reviews!

^ I think Ayala Cinemas talaga kumuha ng movie na ito. Anyway, I really commend Ayala for bringing films like this in our local theaters.

Thanks for liking my reviews, I also enjoy reading your reviews as well

Opens today in Glorietta, Greenbelt and Trinoma cinemas