PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Aguilar, Ginebra Bully Talk N Text

Ginebra had no problems in their opening campaign after a 101-81 win over TNT. Japeth Aguilar proved to be too much for the Texters with his game-high 18pts, 18rebs and 5 blks.

read more

PHOTOS: 40th PBA Season Opening Ceremony

Ellen Adarna, Megan Young and Alice Dixson led the parade of team muses yesterday during the Opening Ceremony of the new PBA season. Check our gallery here!

read more

REVIEW: The Trial

If there's one particular asset the film has, it's the ensemble.

read more

PHOTOS: Kia Victorious in Battle of Newcomers

LA Revilla (23pts, 7rebs) stole away the spotlight off of boxing champ Manny Pacquiao's PBA debut, as he rallied Kia over Blackwater 80-66.

read more

PROMO: Big Hero 6

Join the promo and get a chance to win special screening tickets to Big Hero 6!

read more

Show Me Your Winning Teeths!

Merly and Chelsey are back for a new season of SMYT and they are 'happy to serve' you a new episode about the Miss World pageant and the UAAP Finals.

read more

Feature: LA Revilla - La Salle’s Comeback Kid is a Survivor

La Salle's returning guard LA Revilla talks to PinoyExchange.com about his struggles with diabetes, his stellar performance in Season 74, and his dream for the Green Archers.

LA Revilla: La Salle’s Comeback Kid is a Survivor
    Photos and Text By: Ivan Angelo L. de Lara

Latest statistics show that around four million Filipinos have diabetes. This disease may result in organ damage and failure, and even death. Depressing? Not for De La Salle University Green Archers’ Luis Alfonso “LA” Revilla.

In summer of 2009, a few months before the opening of the 72nd Season of the UAAP, Revilla was diagnosed to have Diabetes-2, a condition, which he said, runs in their family. This has prevented the former San Beda Red Cubs hotshot from suiting up for La Salle in that season.

“I was upset and surprised at first,” Revilla told PinoyExchange.com. “After that, I was hoping that it would not affect my career. But then the doctor decided that I could not play during the UAAP.”

Revilla, however, did not sulk for long. Even if he was not included in the Green Archers’ Team A, he continued practicing with them under Coach Dindo Pumaren. Slowly but surely, he was becoming healthier and regaining his confidence.

“I knew that I was coming back,” Revilla said. “I felt that I was on the right shape. I knew that I could compete.”

True enough, Revilla was given clearance by his doctor after his laboratory tests showed marked improvement in his health.

Explosive comeback

In his rookie season, the Bacolod native averaged 3.53 points, 1.65 rebounds, 1.94 assists, and 0.65 steals on 14.29 minutes per game. He was just a backup guard then to the more established JV Casio and his senior Simon Atkins.

Two years later, Revilla announced his comeback to the league with a bang. Although La Salle succumbed to the Far Eastern University Tamaraws, Revilla, who has earned his way into becoming a starter, dished out 18 points, five rebounds, and five assists.

He proved that his comeback performance was not a fluke when he made 22 points, five rebounds, three steals, and two assists in a loss against the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles. His gutsy play has earned even the respect of the fans of his team’s bitter rivals.

La Salle has since chalked up back-to-back wins against the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons and the National University Bulldogs. The 21-year-old AB Psychology student played pivotal roles in both victories.

In La Salle’s first four games, Revilla has established himself as the star player of his team and as one of the most explosive guards in the UAAP this season. He is currently averaging 16.33 points, 5.67 rebounds, 4.67 assists, and two steals on 28.33 minutes of playing time per game.

Smallest guy, biggest heart

Although he works like an Energizer bunny on the court, Revilla admits that he has experienced dizziness and sluggishness due to his condition. These glitches, however, have never stopped him from giving his best during practices and games, thanks to the assistance of his teammates.

“They’re very supportive. They’re very caring. They’re aware of what I eat, and what I do,” said Revilla, who singled out Maui Villanueva, Joshua Webb, and Norbert Torres as the players he is closest with.

Atkins, now La Salle's captain, describes best how big the 5’8” point guard has been playing for the green-and-white team.

“LA is a big factor to the team. He can do everything,” Atkins told PinoyExchange.com. “He is the shortest guy in the team, but he has the biggest heart.”

“Despite his condition, he gives his all. He is my inspiration to push myself more,” Atkins added.

With his stellar performance this season, Revilla hopes to bring La Salle back to its former glory.

“My goal is to really win a championship,” Revilla said. “Before coming to La Salle, ‘yun na talaga ‘yung dream ko.”

Not a hindrance

Revilla couples his lofty ambition with a grain of caution. Right now, he says he is just happy to be back and looks at his career “one playing year at a time”.

“I am very happy right now,” Revilla said. “It is one of the happiest moments of my life. It is a feeling that I am gonna cherish for the rest of my life.”

Revilla is a survivor because he plays as if he never had a two-year layoff. He is a survivor because he dons the green-and-white uniform proudly as if he does not have a life-threatening condition.

He proves that a disease like diabetes is not an obstacle for him to achieve his goals or for others to accomplish theirs.

“I think it (diabetes) adds up to my motivation, especially overcoming it,” Revilla said. “It’s a relief na I can finally play. At first it was a hindrance. But then I started to realize, it wasn’t pala.”

He is indeed very inspirational. La Salle has found a leader. He could also be a spokesman for diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by matuto View Post
    He is indeed very inspirational. La Salle has found a leader. He could also be a spokesman for diabetes.
    Speaking of being a spokesman, I couldn't help but notice in his interviews that he's very articulate. May laman ang ulo ng bata.

The Lost Gospel Gospel of Judas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve_12 View Post
    Speaking of being a spokesman, I couldn't help but notice in his interviews that he's very articulate. May laman ang ulo ng bata.
    he really used those two years well

edit: wrong thread

Let's kiss in the library. aryzk's Avatar
    He's the only reason why i watch DLSU Games.

Banned by Admin
    L.A., you and Simon will be this season's Finals MVPs!

Quote Originally Posted by _Bahay_Kubo_ View Post
    L.A., you and Simon will be this season's Finals MVPs!
    I remembered Casio and Cholo Villanueva both winning the finals MVP

Quote Originally Posted by pex_uaap_journo View Post
    La Salle's returning guard LA Revilla talks to PinoyExchange.com about his struggles with diabetes, his stellar performance in Season 74, and his dream for the Green Archers.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1312043029

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1312043265

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1312043402

LA Revilla: La Salle’s Comeback Kid is a Survivor
    Photos and Text By: Ivan Angelo L. de Lara

Latest statistics show that around four million Filipinos have diabetes. This disease may result in organ damage and failure, and even death. Depressing? Not for De La Salle University Green Archers’ Luis Alfonso “LA” Revilla.

In summer of 2009, a few months before the opening of the 72nd Season of the UAAP, Revilla was diagnosed to have Diabetes-2, a condition, which he said, runs in their family. This has prevented the former San Beda Red Cubs hotshot from suiting up for La Salle in that season.

“I was upset and surprised at first,” Revilla told PinoyExchange.com. “After that, I was hoping that it would not affect my career. But then the doctor decided that I could not play during the UAAP.”

Revilla, however, did not sulk for long. Even if he was not included in the Green Archers’ Team A, he continued practicing with them under Coach Dindo Pumaren. Slowly but surely, he was becoming healthier and regaining his confidence.

“I knew that I was coming back,” Revilla said. “I felt that I was on the right shape. I knew that I could compete.”

True enough, Revilla was given clearance by his doctor after his laboratory tests showed marked improvement in his health.

Explosive comeback

In his rookie season, the Bacolod native averaged 3.53 points, 1.65 rebounds, 1.94 assists, and 0.65 steals on 14.29 minutes per game. He was just a backup guard then to the more established JV Casio and his senior Simon Atkins.

Two years later, Revilla announced his comeback to the league with a bang. Although La Salle succumbed to the Far Eastern University Tamaraws, Revilla, who has earned his way into becoming a starter, dished out 18 points, five rebounds, and five assists.

He proved that his comeback performance was not a fluke when he made 22 points, five rebounds, three steals, and two assists in a loss against the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles. His gutsy play has earned even the respect of the fans of his team’s bitter rivals.

La Salle has since chalked up back-to-back wins against the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons and the National University Bulldogs. The 21-year-old AB Psychology student played pivotal roles in both victories.

In La Salle’s first four games, Revilla has established himself as the star player of his team and as one of the most explosive guards in the UAAP this season. He is currently averaging 16.33 points, 5.67 rebounds, 4.67 assists, and two steals on 28.33 minutes of playing time per game.

Smallest guy, biggest heart

Although he works like an Energizer bunny on the court, Revilla admits that he has experienced dizziness and sluggishness due to his condition. These glitches, however, have never stopped him from giving his best during practices and games, thanks to the assistance of his teammates.

“They’re very supportive. They’re very caring. They’re aware of what I eat, and what I do,” said Revilla, who singled out Maui Villanueva, Joshua Webb, and Norbert Torres as the players he is closest with.

Atkins, now La Salle's captain, describes best how big the 5’8” point guard has been playing for the green-and-white team.

“LA is a big factor to the team. He can do everything,” Atkins told PinoyExchange.com. “He is the shortest guy in the team, but he has the biggest heart.”

“Despite his condition, he gives his all. He is my inspiration to push myself more,” Atkins added.

With his stellar performance this season, Revilla hopes to bring La Salle back to its former glory.

“My goal is to really win a championship,” Revilla said. “Before coming to La Salle, ‘yun na talaga ‘yung dream ko.”

Not a hindrance

Revilla couples his lofty ambition with a grain of caution. Right now, he says he is just happy to be back and looks at his career “one playing year at a time”.

“I am very happy right now,” Revilla said. “It is one of the happiest moments of my life. It is a feeling that I am gonna cherish for the rest of my life.”

Revilla is a survivor because he plays as if he never had a two-year layoff. He is a survivor because he dons the green-and-white uniform proudly as if he does not have a life-threatening condition.

He proves that a disease like diabetes is not an obstacle for him to achieve his goals or for others to accomplish theirs.

“I think it (diabetes) adds up to my motivation, especially overcoming it,” Revilla said. “It’s a relief na I can finally play. At first it was a hindrance. But then I started to realize, it wasn’t pala.”
    I remember si LA yung gumamit ng "Patay na" Gesture nung laban nila sa U.E..Right? With all smiles pa.. Im just saying..

Good to know that.

He's the heart and soul of the DLSU Squad.

LA has really grown so much from being the obnoxious "Bang-bang Kid" to this mature leader on the floor.

I admire him so much for being able to give his all for his team despite his condition. I hope all of his other teammates could see that they have a player who gives his all despite an illness and therefore they should also give their all.

I liken this kid to a JV Casio. La Salle's top marquee players were usually the mayabang and maangas types. But guys like Casio and Revilla are the ones I admire. They are true basketball players in skill, attitude, and heart. Kudos to LA Revilla for stepping it up when it mattered most.

grabe ang energy ni LA Revilla and i like how the team is revitalized by his presence. in the games against Ateneo and FEU, he is the only bright spot and he is certainly the spitfire and sparkplug that our team needs...

The kid's grown up. You can see how even the Ateneo faithful like how he conducts himself on and off the court. That incident with Baracael was just one of those stupid things immature kids do. I'm sure he meant no harm.

I really hope he's kicked his illness for good. It's never nice to wish bodily harm or life-threatening danger on someone else, especially someone who carries himself with so much dignity and class.

Enjoy the games, kid.

inspiring story. la is indeed very articulate. may lapses, paminsan-minsan, pero he knows how to carry himself well. pwede ngang spokesperson for diabetes. favorite la salle player.