PEx Highlights

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

PROMO: The Book of Life

Join the promo and get a chance to win exclusive The Book of Life merchandise!

read more

PHOTOS: Aguilar, Ginebra Bully Talk N Text

Ginebra had no problems in their opening campaign after a 101-81 win over TNT. Japeth Aguilar proved to be too much for the Texters with his game-high 18pts, 18rebs and 5 blks.

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    A little bit of everything soltera81's Avatar
    Yes. He didnít just want freedom for the people. He wanted reforms. What set Rizal apart from the others were his methods. Instead of relying on the sword, he relied on the might of the pen. He made the Filipinos realize the oppressions they were experiencing without resorting to violence.

rizal did intend pinoys to be free. he just wanted to gain it gradually. gusto niya ng smooth transition of power, IMHO.

as for lapu lapu being natl hero, we are not even sure if he did exist. ni hindi nga natin alam kung siya nga nakapatay kay magellan.

i read somewhere on this thread pertaining to cory's whereabouts during EDSA 1. yep, she was in cebu leading the civil disobedience movement there. i think she also stayed with the pink sisters for refuge. so banshee is actually right.

^and she just went to edsa when they were already sure that the military is on their side. if im wrong in some of my details, paki correct na lang

I have a problem with definition. What's a National Hero?

Kung novelty lang naman sya, like pambansang bulaklak or pambansang ibon, then go, kahit sino dyan gawin nyong pambansang bayani.

national hero = the hero of all heroes?

kahit sino na lang, wag lang si emilio aguinaldo.

Rizal is an american-sponsored national hero. The Americans did this because Rizal supposedly reflected the ideals of the Americans being our colonizers that time. They wanted for the Filipinos to look upon a hero (a model) who is not aggressive enough to wage a revolution, unlike Bonifacio, in order to save their a**es from a possible repeat of the 1986 revolution. The question now is, if the Filipinos will choose the national hero, would it still be Rizal? For me, I have some reservations. Definitely, not Emilio Aguinaldo. I consider him the great traitor in Katipunan because of his greed and his desire of power, he was compelled to mastermind the murder of Bonifacio and his brother. Not contented, he also ordered the murder of Antonio Luna, who by that time was the greatest of the generals of the Katipunan. Sayang, i am wondering til now what could have happened if Bonifacio and Luna led the Katipunan and not Aguinaldo.

Read "My Last Farewell". Its all because Rizal and probably some conspirators planned this all along. He foresaw the future. He knew he was going to be the national hero through martyrdom. Though not exactly the same, somehow he patterned the whole thing to what Jesus did.

And before his last vision, he finally uttered "Consummatum est". Means "It is finished." The same exact words Jesus said before he died.

Not to mention he was a mason. Just a piece of conspiracy theory.

Why not?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Your Personal Jesus F-A Soldier's Avatar
    ^that or what you just said is the conspiracy theory itself.

I mean it's kinda stupid to think that a guy who worked to live all those years would plan his martyrhood simply to be a national hero. LOL. Because 'he foresaw the future'?

As for his last words, I don't think he had last words. Those who say that was his last words (probably his adoring fans) probably added that to add to his martyrdom.

opinyon ko lang. karapat-dapat naman si rizal na maging national hero base na rin sa mga na-accomplish nya specifically sa academic life at yung mga librong nasulat nya. sabihin nang american-sponsored ang pagiging bayani nya, pero malaking bagay pa rin yung pagpili sa kanya para matuon naman sa edukasyon ang pakikibaka ng mga pinoy. dahil sa kanya, mas naging madali ang pagtanggap ng mga pinoy sa sistemang ipinatupad ng mga kano sa pampublikong edukasyon. kung humaba nang humaba ang giyera non, mas malamang na mas marami ang mangmang ngayon sa ating lipunan.

Slumdog Billionaire akosilester's Avatar
    oo, he's worthy enough.

tsaka well-documented ang buhay nya, madaling pag-aralan ng mga estudyante

Ang weird lang, sya yung nagkasal sa kanila nung girlfriend nya. Dun lang ako nat@ngahan sa kanya LOL sorry po.

^ Not sure kung tama ang history ko, but I won't be surprised if he did that. He was already considered as a subversive by the prelate.

^ So bakit yung mga pastors ngayon, hindi gawin yang ginawa ni Rizal? Knowing na mahilig sila sa mga unique-unique na yan. Sorry , wala talaga akong alam sa mga religions. Baka iba rin paniniwala nila.

I don't get what you mean, pero the idea is, if I'm not mistaken, he did want to marry sa simbahan kaso ayaw siyang ikasal ng mga prayle dahil na nga rin sa anti-friar stand niya. Note that he was not against the Roman Catholic Church but only the local clergy of the time.

^ I mean, bakit yung mga kinakasal na mga pastors, ba't ayaw nilang sila mismo ang magkasal sa gf nila? Pano ba mag-explain?

Ahh. I dunno, baka di allowed 'yun sa religion nila (pastor ng anong religion ba anyway?)

'Yung kay Rizal naman, more like symbolic na pagpapakasal lang.

If I may suggest a book on Rizal, try "Rizal: Makabayan at Martir" by Austin Coates and translated by Nilo Ocampo. I thought it gave me a fairly balanced take on the life of our national hero.

Quote Originally Posted by trochanter View Post
    Rizal is an american-sponsored national hero. The Americans did this because Rizal supposedly reflected the ideals of the Americans being our colonizers that time. They wanted for the Filipinos to look upon a hero (a model) who is not aggressive enough to wage a revolution, unlike Bonifacio, in order to save their a**es from a possible repeat of the 1986 revolution. The question now is, if the Filipinos will choose the national hero, would it still be Rizal? For me, I have some reservations. Definitely, not Emilio Aguinaldo. I consider him the great traitor in Katipunan because of his greed and his desire of power, he was compelled to mastermind the murder of Bonifacio and his brother. Not contented, he also ordered the murder of Antonio Luna, who by that time was the greatest of the generals of the Katipunan. Sayang, i am wondering til now what could have happened if Bonifacio and Luna led the Katipunan and not Aguinaldo.
    Perhaps this has some truth in it but we may never know and it would always remain just a possibility.

However, I think it's unjustful to say that Rizal is "not aggressive enough." Aggressiveness does not win a war. In fact, if there was any one else subversive enough who knew what would happen and how it would happen it was none other than him.

To his defense, Rizal who was exiled in Dapitan was visited by Pio Valenzuela of the Katipunan in order to consult him about the impending revolution. This was how much Bonifacio valued Rizal's opinion, imagine sending the secretary of the revolution just to get the approval of Rizal?

Rizal said to valenzuela that the revolution was NOT YET ready since it lacked the support of the rich, which meant that he knew to an extent that things would escalate to such events. He approves of the revolution but the timing was bad. The revolution lacked funds for guns. And true enough, the revolution failed.

I think he also made it clear in El Fili that for change to be achieved in such a situation, a violent struggle was imminent.

Plus I would just to clarify that Antonio Luna, who was an extremely hot-headed general posed more danger to the Katipuneros than to Spaniards. Despite his talents and youth, he was a violent and ill-tempered general who was eventually isolated from everyone else in the army. He abused fellow men who did not follow him, executed a Chinese without a proper trial, arrested Paterno,planned a coup and other crimes that could be considered atrocious to the point he got the monicker General Article One.

He was killed because he was a danger to the cause. To answer your question, in my opinion, Luna would've killed Bonifacio the second he got the chance to.

I'd say Rizal is looking down and laughing at us today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast