Mapúa Institute of Technology [Thread II]: The Castle of the Cardinals - Page 3 | The NCAA Tourney | PinoyExchange

Page 3 of 80 First ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... Last

I remember the huge board hanging inside the MIT Gym, with the following quote:

"When a great scorer pens your name, He writes not if you win or lose but how you played the game"

Has anyone here noticed if this huge quoteboard still hangs in there?

Without Sudan Daniel for SBC, I see Mapua as the team to beat this coming NCAA Season.

team to beat is still SBC and baste...underdogs lang ang cardinals and we will see the real game of nimes once ncaa 87 starts...

hope manalo an.g angry birds vs sa knights sa opening day!

VIVA MAPUA

Mapua wins against UE red warriors a while ago... mangahas made a game winning basket 67-65 is the score.. Taha and Nimes did not play because of their injury.

NCAA Season 87
    Brazen @ 87:Many Motions, One Direction

comment on the logo:
    There's a Yellow+Green ray on the logo. I wonder which school does it represent? CSB? FEU?

Just wanted to share this. Basahin niyo yung mga nakasulat sa ilalim.

Preview for tomorrow's game

NCAA S87: MIT vs CSJL (Round 1)

History Lesson:
    The Cardinals played two contrasting games against the Knights last season, but the result was the same: a win for Mapua. In the first round, the Cards clobbered Letran in almost all categories, finishing 66-51. The second round game though was a come from behind affair that saw the Knights collapse in the fourth quarter, allowing Mapua to escape, 63-60.

Mapua Storyline:
    This season will be all about the impact one guy can have on a team, and that's Yousef Taha for the Cardinals. Having a legitimate big man down low, in a season without Sudan Daniel to boot, means defenses will have to adjust, which could likely mean easier shots for the barrage of shooters on the Mapua line-up.

Stat to watch: Fourth quarter point differential; in spite of the Taha addition, the Cards were still prone to late collapses, seemingly more confident when they play catch-up. For Mapua to go far in this tournament, they'll need to be able to put opponents away.
    Player to watch: Allan Mangahas; though Taha is the emotional leader, the guy yelling and firing his teammates up, the leader on the floor has to be Mangahas, the graduating floor general. Against a team like Letran that loves to press, expect him to play extra minutes as the squad's best ball handler.

Letran Storyline:
    This season's incarnation of the Letran Knights looks a lot like last year's squad; just subtract Jaypee Belencion for Kevin Racal and you're basically good to go. The Knights still love to force turnovers and get out and run, but it's not like they have a choice. The roster still has height and depth issues, and the fiery temper of head coach Louie Alas might boil over during a particularly bad stretch of play.

Stat to watch: Turnovers; here's an oft-said basketball adage: "Teams that like to press don't like to be pressed." In the case of Letran, they're a team that likes to force turnovers, while they themselves cough up a fair amount. If Franz Dysam and rookie Mark Cruz can't handle the ball, this will be a long night for Letran
    Player to watch: Kevin Alas; Alas has a ton of talent, but a gunner's mentality that never wavers. He shot just 32% from the field, 19% from beyond the arc in the Fil-Oil Tournament, but there were games where, due to guys fouling out, the Knights had no choice but to give it to him. There's nothing wrong with taking over a game, but early on, if he can create shot opportunities for his teammates, Letran will be a lot better off.

Prediction: Mapua Cardinals

other picks: SBC over Perps, JRU over SSC
    Last edited by Clarkent; Jul 1, 2011 at 06:20 PM.

Wide, exciting race in NCAA
    By FRANCIS SANTIAGO | Manila Bulletin
    June 27, 2011, 11:23pm

Games Saturday (Araneta Coliseum)

1 p.m. — opening ceremony

2 p.m. — San Beda vs Perpetual Help

4 p.m. — San Sebastain vs Jose Rizal

6 p.m. — Mapua vs Letran

MANILA, Philippines — It’s strange but this time, the defending champion won’t be the top favorite in the NCAA basketball tournament.

With San Beda College weakened by the absence of injured American import Sudan Daniel, a wide open race is seen when the Season 87 of the country’s oldest collegiate league begins July 2 at the Araneta Coliseum.

Even Red Lions coach Frankie Lim admitted that it won’t be easy to duplicate their historic 18-0 romp last year with the 6-foot-8 Daniel out with a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) while almost all squads getting beefed up during the pre-season.

“Obviously the other teams got stronger, but we somehow weakened. Without Sudan, we lost at least 10 points and 10 rebounds every game,” Lim said of the reigning MVP during yesterday’s media briefing at the ABS-CBN compound in Quezon City. “We’re not as strong as last year and we’re looking at five teams which have a strong chance of winning the title.”

With the theme “Brazen at 87: Many motion, one direction,” the new season begins with opening ceremonies at 1 p.m. featuring no less than boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao as the keynote speaker.

“The field has become more balanced with the absence of Daniel. But I know with him, San Beda will be more determined to prove they can win the championship without an import,” College of St. Benilde coach Richard Del Rosario said.

Buoyed by strong finishes in the pre-season tournaments, the Mapua Cardinals emerged as top pick among coaches despite losing veteran players in Macky Acosta, TG Guillermo and Erwin Cornejo.

But Mapua coach Chito Victolero downplayed their chances, saying the players will need to continue working doubly hard as they bid to win their first crown since 1991.

The Cardinals, who reached the quarterfinals of the Filoil Flying V pre-season tournament and the finals of the Fr. Martin’s Cup, will be bannered by the highly-touted 6-foot-7 Fil-Palestinian center Yousef Taha, and mainstays Allan Mangahas and Mark Sarangay.

San Sebastian College, last year’s losing finalist, is hoping to reclaim the crown with there-entry of veteran coach Arturo Valenzona.

Jose Rizal University, Letran and Emilio Aguinaldo College coaches Vergel Meneses, Louie Alas and Gerry Esplana both expressed confidence of a better showing this season, although the Bombers will have to do it minus their two Nigerian imports.

---

Last edited by Clarkent; Jul 2, 2011 at 02:10 AM.

NCAA Season 87 Mapúa Cardinals First Round Schedule

02 July 2011 (Sat.) Araneta Coliseum
    6pm - Mapúa vs Letran

13 July 2011 (Wed.) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs St. Benilde

18 July 2011 (Mon.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Lyceum

22 July 2011 (Fri.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Jose Rizal

27 July 2011 (Wed.) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs Emilio Aguinaldo

01 Aug 2011 (Mon.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Arellano

05 Aug 2011 (Wed) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs San Beda

10 August 2011 (Fri) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs San Sebastian

15 August 2011 (Mon) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs Perpetual Help

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkent View Post
    http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff484/crknt/Sports/mitcardncaa.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...dheadb.pngNCAA Season 87 Mapúa Cardinals First Round Schedule http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...TCardheada.png

02 July 2011 (Sat.) Araneta Coliseum
    6pm - Mapúa vs Letran

13 July 2011 (Wed.) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs St. Benilde

18 July 2011 (Mon.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Lyceum

22 July 2011 (Fri.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Jose Rizal

27 July 2011 (Wed.) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs Emilio Aguinaldo

01 Aug 2011 (Mon.) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs Arellano

05 Aug 2011 (Wed) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs San Beda

10 August 2011 (Fri) San Juan Arena
    2pm - Mapúa vs San Sebastian

15 August 2011 (Mon) San Juan Arena
    4pm - Mapúa vs Perpetual Help

may galit ba satin ang host? bakit ang pangit ng time ng mga good matches di man lang main game...

Quote Originally Posted by tonixthethird View Post
    may galit ba satin ang host? bakit ang pangit ng time ng mga good matches di man lang main game...
    NCAA website is now up.

I compared the skeds I got from the one posted in the website.

As per NCAA website, August 5 game (MIT vs SBC) is 4pm. But the sked I got indicates a 2pm schedule for MIT-SBC.

Likewise this post from Letran thread.. says sila ang 4pm on that day (CSJL vs CSB). Maybe a typo in part of the website or talagang may revision ng sked.

i kill trolls for breakfast kaboom_mit's Avatar
    mas excited akong makita yung laro ni cantos, abad and magsigay.

dunkfest with nimes and taha....

i kill trolls for breakfast kaboom_mit's Avatar
    ilan ang eligibilty years ni taha and nimes?

CCIE 455XX (RnS)
    Any update sa game natin versus letran?

Quote Originally Posted by xybert_22 View Post
    Any update sa game natin versus letran?
    Mapúa leading 25-18.

2nd quarter

CCIE 455XX (RnS)
    Ayos. Sana manalo.

Page 3 of 80 First ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... Last