PEx Highlights

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 3

There's a new number one in this week's UAAP Basketball Power Rankings.

read more

Join The Agency

Register for The Agency, PEx's newest Showbiz RPG!

read more

PHOTOS: NU Clobbers Adamson

The NU Bulldogs win a laugher against the Adamson Soaring Falcons, 62-25, the lowest scoring output in recent memory.

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy

While most superhero movies focus on brawn power and visuals, central to Guardians is its heart and wit.

read more

Kenshin Stars, Director to Visit Manila

Director Keishi Otomo and actors Takeru Satoh, Emi Takei and Munetaka Aoki are flying to Manila to grace the Premiere of Kyoto Inferno.

read more

FIBA Worlds Feature: Building National Teams

A look back on how the RP national teams were formed in the "open basketball" era.

read more

Question Paano gumawa ng sariling website?

Paano gumawa ng sariling website? Hindi ko alam kung paano, ano ba ang mga requirements? Anong mga step? Turuan ninyo naman ako, please

buy a beginners guide to HTML.

or if you have an internet, try the online tutorial of a friend: http://jojit.port5.com

Cheers!

HTML Goodies by Joe Burns is an excellent tutorial site.

<html>

<head>
    <title>type the title of your webpage here</title>
    </head>

<body>
    write your text here
    </body>

</html>

do this in notepad. meron ka nang basic webpage na text lang ang laman!

write your text sa body, write the title of your page sa title tapos save your work as "whatever.html" view your work na sa browser!

but i still suggest na you take a look at online html tutorials!

Using Frontpage 2000 is already a good start if you're a beginner.

MS Windows 9x usually has FrontPage Express installed by default. Its usually placed in one of the folders in the Accesories Folder. You can do basic web page stuff there.

After having an ok feel of doing it, you might want to start being able to read code.

Una, kakailanganin mo ng domain,

Pangalawa, kakailanganin mo ng web host

Pangatlo, changing nameservers

Pangapat, paga-upload sa FTP

Tapos

Para makatulong sa iyo: Paano gumawa ng iba't ibang uri ng website

Paano gumawa ng libreng website

ako dito ako natuto... pambata *** approach, well kasi high-schooler lang ako noon and bata rin yung gumawa niyan
    (matanda na siya ngayon) but it is very helpful and straight to the point.

http://www.lissaexplains.com/

pero karamihan ng mga suggestion sa taas (pati yang suggestion ko) is para sa mga may interes matuto ng html programing, yung language na ginagamit para maka-gawa ng website. ok yan kung gusto mo talaga matuto gumawa ng website per se.

kaso kung meron ka lang gustong i-share sa mundo na ideas, or mga kwento, or pictures, or mga kung-ano-ano, pwes mag http://multiply.com ka nalang. or gumawa ka ng online blog either through wordpress.com, or blogger.com, or i.ph

atleast ready made na lahat para sayo in terms of look, customizations, lahat, content nalang ang aasikasuhin mo

remember: madali lang gumawa ng website, napag-aaralan yan, pero bago mo tahakin yan, make sure meron ka munang content, mamaya may website ka nga wala ka naman pala ilalagay na may katuturan sa website na nagawa mo

how about using joomla or drupal?

~Stand Alone Complex~
    dito ka mag umpisa https://www.blogger.com/start
    user friendly siya.dati di rin ako marunong gumawa
    ng website,jan sko natuto trial and error lang,pag magaling kana pede kana bumili ng domain at webhost

sino marunong mag install ng phpbb or vbulletin script sa hosting?ill give $10 via paypal sa marunong mag install ill give extra kong lagyan ng logo yung forum

For a starter, Notepad and FrontPage will be your best buds.
    Play around with the codes.

But before that, you need to have a clear mindset of what you want, direction, etc.

Here's my site building tips:

Site Building Tips (this is from my Charmed and Smallville website, offline already but I'm able to save my files. Some thoughts are outdated already but at least just to give you a thought, okay?)
    -------------------------

Need a site and wonder what you need to do? Well look at my suggestions.

'What kind of page is this?' you ask.
    Well, I've been thinking it over, and with popularity of Charmed and Smallville, I thought it would be a good idea to make this page.

What makes me think I'm qualified to make this page?
    I'm just putting this up as an informative page for those who are interested. Also, this isn't just for those planning to make Charmed and Smallville sites, but these can apply to anything else as well. Okay, let's get started.

Getting Started:
    You have felt the urge to do something creative - maybe a website. Check these to see if making a web page is right for you.

First off, do you really have the time or commitment it takes to build a page, or is it just a passing whim you had one weekend? The web is already cluttered with crappy, built in two-days pages that are never touched again- don't add to the problem. If you really want to do a website, think it over for a while; if after a week or so you still want to do it, then by all means get started.

Secondly, do you have the resources you need to build a page, or do you just plan on putting stuff up you've taken off other people's pages? Putting up other people's stuff isn't bad (unless the webmaster asks you not to), but more than likely you're not the first person to come up with the idea. This results in the same information and pictures being widely circulated around the net, and makes it harder for people to find new stuff. Try at least to have some original ideas for stuff on your page so that people will have reasons to come back.

And lastly, do you like one site so much that you want yours to be just like it? This doesn't just apply to graphics or pictures, but to information and ideas that you find on other people's sites. Try not to duplicate other sites, and definately try not to copy information that you find on other sites. And if you do use someone else's material, always try to give credit somewhere.

Making Your Webpage:
    Okay, so you've decided what you're doing and you're working on putting it together. Follow these tips to make sure your site is a success.

Organization:
    Organize your folders and files ahead of time- this was a lesson that I had to learn the hard way. Your site may start out small at first, and you may not see the point, but if your site starts to grow, you will encounter problems later on.

Very important- NEVER include spaces, dashes, or punctuation marks in your file names. ONLY use letters, numbers, and underscores. Also, try not to use capital letters when naming files, either, because some systems are case sensitive, and if you forget whether or not you capitalized the name of a file, you can end up with broken images and pages.

Make sure sections of your site are well organized. It doesn't do you any good if you have some awesome downloads on your site if no one can find them. Another thing to try to stay away from is naming sections of your site things that have nothing to do with anything. If you have a section for information, don't name it 'The Portal of Eternal Suffering' or something like that. It's confusing. Lastly, don't rely on alt tags to tell your visitors what the link is because you just wanted to put a pretty picture instead of a link title. There are many browsers that can't read alt tags, so these visitors have to click around until they find what they are looking for (if they stay that long).

Backgrounds:
    Always use pictures saved in .gif format for your background for fast loading. NEVER use .bmp or .art files which are not only slow loading, but show up as broken in Netscape. Also, make sure that the file is small. It may load fast on your cable modem, but how long will it take for someone with a 56k modem?

Don't use animated backgrounds. They're obnoxious, slow loading, and just plain wrong.

Be sure that your background doesn't clash with your text. This is a common mistake, mostly caused by people using unedited pictures as their background. It may look cool, but it doesn't always make for a good background. If you just have to have the picture on there, put your text in tables where the background doesn't show through. This can also make your site more professional looking.

Graphics:
    Always use pictures saved in .gif or .jpeg format. Again, never use .bmp or .art files, and be aware of how big your file is and how long it will take to load to those with slower connections.

Clean up your pictures before putting them on your page, ie: cut off bad edges, resize them to a reasonable size, adjust colors, etc. Just doing a little bit of photo editing can go a long way to making your page a lot better, and you will find that people will like your graphics and galleries much more because they are more pleasing to look at.

Try not to clutter your pages with too many miscellanious graphics. Sure, they may look cute, but are they really necessary? Also, too many animated .gifs can just be annoying.

Try to organize your pictures and galleries- don't put too many pictures on one page. Thumbnails are always a good idea for really large images. If you don't have the room for thumbnails, then use text links that describe the pictures (nothing is more annoying than finding a gallery of hundreds of images and they only way to get to them is through text links that are just numbered '001', '002', etc.). This might take a little extra time on your part, but it's well worth it.

Text:
    NEVER WRITE IN ALL CAPS, and nEvER WriTe lIke ThiS (tOgGlE). This is just annoying. Also, try to use correct grammar, punctuation, etc., and stay away from shortcuts like 'Diz iz 4 my pplz'. Not everyone who visits yours site may be fluent in what ever language you're writing in, and if they can't understand even simple things, they will be discouraged and probably not come back. Also, proofread your pages and correct typos. Not everything has to be grammatically correct or perfect, but people appreciate the effort, and it also makes you look better ^^

Don't use extremely large text or extremely small text. Yes, people can adjust the size of your text manually on their browsers, but you have to remember what already looks small to you on the 800x600 resolution that you use may look microscopic to someone who is using a resolution set to 1280x1024.

Don't use obscure fonts. Most people will not be able to see that cool 'batman' font that you put up seeing how they don't have it installed. If you do use it, make sure to specify another, more commonly used font as your backup.

Make sure you're text doesn't clash or blend in with the background. Your visitors shouldn't have to highlight everything because you refused to give them the simple courtesy of putting up something they could see.

Layout:
    Decide whether or not you REALLY need frames. Most people who use frames don't really need them, and they can cause problems in certain browsers due to incompatibility issues and bad coding. If you do make a site using frames, make a non-frames version of your site or put in code to allow browsers to bypass the frames.

Make your site compatible with Netscape. I keep seeing this trend of people making sites that can only be seen with Explorer, but this is one of the last things you want to do. Almost 10% of all the people who visit this site use Netscape, and with this site receiving about 60,000 to 70,000 pages loads a day, just losing that 10% would be pretty devastating. You are making a site for other people to see- make sure that they can see it.

Editors and Code:
    If you are using an editor to make your pages (ie- Frontpage, Pagemaker, etc.), make sure to check your pages after you have uploaded them. Sometimes codes and extensions that worked in your editor don't work after you've uploaded to your server because of compatibility issues.

If you code all your pages by hand, run your pages through code validators (you can find free ones on the web). This way you'll catch mistakes such as not closing tags, etc., that you weren't able to catch just by looking at it. Another good idea is while you're coding is to keep your pages 'clean' by seperating lines of code instead of running it all together. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, view source on this page and see how I've seperated different sections to make it easy for me to find something quickly if I wanted to change it. This is just a nifty tip that I learned after doing the wrong way for a long time.

Always upload everything ASCII and not Binary.

General:
    Use sense when picking colors- don't blind your visitors. If you have problems looking at your page, odds are your visitors will, too. Unless you're colorblind, there isn't any reason to make this mistake.

Don't over-use profanity. Most people aren't offended by a little- but explicit use of profanity detracts many people from your site as well as makes you look immature.

Don't put up links to sections that don't exist. If the site is currently re-building, delete it to your server temporarily and place it back when it's okay. It frustrating and a waste of time to get that '404' message or 'Oops, we can't find that page' because we clicked a link that you haven't put a page up for yet. Also, don't put up 'under construction' signs- web pages are constantly evolving and perpetually under construction. It's just understood.

Don't use music on your pages. It really can be annoying, especially since it slows down the load time of a page dramatically and can be too loud sometimes (not to mention that many people forget to provide a way to cut the music off). But the most important thing to remember is that not everyone has the same taste in music as you, and it can be a real turn-off for some visitors who don't want to bother with the music on your page.

Getting it on the World Wide Web:

So you've finished your webpage, but what do you do now?

Finding a Host:
    Free hosts are great for beginners or people with small sites that don't use much bandwidth. The plus is that they are free and pretty easy to use. Downsides are the ads that are automatically placed on your pages, bandwidth restrictions, file size and type restrictions, and never being able to get ahold of help when there is a problem (or at least I never could). But as the saying goes, 'you get what you pay for', and if you're not willing to pony up the money to pay for hosting, then this is about you're only option.

Paying for hosting service is about the only way to get reliable, banner-free service for your site. You can choose from literally thousands of different hosting services with different packages for different prices. Be realistic when you choose, though- do you really need that 500mb package with unlimited bandwidth that will cost $30 a month for your personal site that probably won't get more than 1000 hits in a month? You can always upgrade later, so don't spend more than you have to.

Another option is to try to find someone to host you, but this may be a little hard because the owner has to approve of your site first. You also have to not only follow the rules of their hosting service (if they are using one), but you have to follow their rules, too. But it is free, so you still can't complain.

Finding an Audience:
    BE PATIENT!!! Your little site is one of the millions of sites out there. Don't expect your site to be an overnight success- or even a success after several months. It will take time for people to find your site; however, there are ways to increase your traffic. Some of them are joining webrings, posting on message boards, and finding 'link' sites that attract people looking for sites such as yours. Another way is 'link exchanging' with other webpage owners (but be prepared for those owners who will refuse). These are just a few suggestions that I can think of at the moment, but there are other great ways to get traffic- you just have to look for them.

After you've found your audience, the best way to keep it growing is to update your site. This is where most sites fail because people have neither the time nor interest in keeping their sites up-to-date. The only way to keep people coming back is to have new stuff for them to come back for, and keeping your updates reasonably close to each other helps (ie- updating once in a 6 month period usually isn't enough). Also, don't spend all your time on layout changes every 2 weeks and neglect to update your content- people like layout changes, but it's the content that will keep them coming back.

If for some reason you can't or don't want to work on your site as much as you once did, let people know instead of leaving them hanging.

That's about it. I guess the biggest thing to remember is to HAVE FUN! If you're not having fun making web pages, then there really isn't a point to doing it (unless you're getting paid). Most people who keep up pages for a long time tend to get 'burned-out' doing it, but some manage to make it through without abandoning their pages. But if you're just not having fun anymore, then consider it a finished project and move on. Anyway, I hope this has helped those who came here seeking some advice. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to try and help. Just email me! Happy page making!

===========

That's it! Your only kalaban here is yourself kapag tinamad ka na sa pag-a-update, but kapag nag-boom na site mo, you can put targeted ads na

Hope this helps