just checking if my nick is still active.
The absence of Maruja Banaticla from the lineup of the UST Golden Tigresses has made ripples in the volleyball world.read more
While we don't espouse violence, one can't help get more adrenaline watching the game when you see players go at each other at all costs.read more
Jessy Mendiola's time is here. Patiently waiting for her turn in the spotlight, she is proof that good things come to those who wait.read more
Get a chance to win advanced screening tickets to The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug!read more
The Meralco Bolts relied on speed and heavy defense to shock the Barangay Ginebra squad and win 100-87.read more
just checking if my nick is still active.
i can't imagine slaughter establishing his residency with ateneo when he played for smart gilas- went to different countries, played in the PBA,...then training with Ateneo? how can he balance that?...is he exempted from his subjects during games...i only saw him in action this summer
he violated rule # 5 in the UAAP rule : Residency
he played for a team, not for Ateneo
and if it's possible based on UAAP Rule ermission to play outside the UAAP
A prior written request for participation in such tournament must be submitted to the Board for its approval.
I doubt that this happened since kaya magmee-meet ang board members next week dahil dito
hirap pa since considering "residency level pa siya"
well anyways..bahala na sila
Last edited by UAAPIAN; Jun 23, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Now that Slaughter has played in the PBA... He will next play in the UAAP!
Ateneoís Greg Slaughter has been cleared to play in UAAP Season 74.
Banned by Admin
How do you know if the board didn't receive any prior written request?
Lastly, FYI, the board has clarified last February 14, 2011 that playing for another team does not disqualify a player's eligibility if that team happen to be the national team since it is the vision of the UAAP to help develop athletes for the national team.
Thus, in response to the inquiry by Anton Montinola, the eligibility committee recommended Slaughter's eligibility consistent to the February 14 decision.
Isang taga UAO ang naglathala nito sa Gameface:
UP going to court?
SPORTING CHANCE by Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 08/22/2002
University of the Philippines (UP) isnít taking lightly the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Boardís decision affirming Far Eastern University (FEU) rookie Arwind Santosí eligibility to play in the menís seniors basketball tournament this season.
Rado Dimalibot, a lawyer whoís a staunch Maroons supporter, told The STAR yesterday that the possibility of UP going to court is not far-fetched. If the case goes to court, it could trigger widespread demoralization within the UAAP ranks and destroy the UAAP Boardís credibility.
FEU representative Anton Montinola said itís unfortunate that UP has refused to abide by the UAAP Boardís unanimous ruling. "We have no fight against UP," stressed Montinola, a former UAAP president. "But I think UP is misinformed about the case and has a misappreciation of the relevant facts. Before the season, Santosí case was taken up by the Board. We were transparent all the way. We disclosed that he had in fact played for Guardo-Pampanga in the CBL (Cebu Basketball League) invitationals. We argued that the CBL does not fall under the UAAPís definition of a commercial league. A vote was takenĖit was unanimous for Santosí eligibility. Itís not right that a playerís eligibility is questioned after the factĖafter he proves himself a good player. Basketball is a team sport and Santos is no godĖheís just one player and it takes five players on the court to win a game. Why canít we just sit back and enjoy the basketball season?"
Montinola said last year, University of the East (UE) star James Yap was allowed to see action as a rookie without establishing residence despite playing in a Chinese league previously.
Letís examine the spirit of the law," continued Montinola. "The commercial league ban is to protect the UAAP from a rookie with an undue advantage. But in the case of Yap and Santos, they played only for a week in those leagues. Itís not like the PBL (Philippine Basketball League) which is why UAAP players must play at least two years for their schools before going to the PBL. There is no such requirement for the CBL."
Montinola said Santos has his rights like any other player. To disenfranchise him would be violating his human rights particularly as he clearly did not violate any UAAP rule of eligibility.
As regards UPís reference to Santos as a "fresh" high school graduate, Montinola said he doesnít fit the definition. Santos finished high school last year and didnít enroll at FEU until this year so strictly speaking, heís not "fresh" out of high school. Montinola also rejected UPís proposal to amend the UAAP constitution before deciding on whether or not Santosí CBL stint was a violation of eligibility rules.
"The issue is not constitutional in nature," explained Montinola. "The rules of eligibility are deliberated on and adjusted year to year unlike the constitution which is an expression of motherhood statements. The rules of eligibility may not be changed during a season but before or after."
A few weeks ago, UP sent a letter to the UAAP Board seeking clarification on Santosí eligibility. When the Board upheld Santosí eligibility, UP chancellor Dr. Emerlinda Roman questioned the decision and sought an audience to clear the air on the issue.
Dimalibot said several years back, La Salleís Noli Locsin was declared ineligible by the UAAP Board for playing in a two-day Bacolod tournament prior to joining the Archers. He noted that the Locsin ruling dissuaded UP from suiting up Philippine Youth Basketball League (PYBL) veteran Kenneth Robin last year to avoid complications on his eligibility. It was with the Locsin ruling in mind that UP decided to question Santosí eligibility.
Dimalibot also said the CBL is definitely a commercial league because the players who see action are pros like former Philippine Basketball Association imports Bobby Parks and Darryl Smith.
"FEU never hid anything about Santos," Montinola said. "We have been transparent from the start. Santos is just like (Mark) Cardona who was the best rookie last year. Both come from poor families and are trying to make it in life through sports. Santos commutes from Pampanga every day for practice. He never complains. Heís a hard worker. Heís got a family to supportĖa wife and child. This is his big break. Why try to stop him from playing when anyway, he is eligible?"
The UAAP Board or its designated committee is the proper forum to decide on a playerís eligibility. Bringing the court into the picture would be inimical to the leagueís best interests. Imagine the chaos in the UAAP if whenever a school is aggrieved by a Board ruling, it runs to the court for succor. What a poor example to students if a school refuses to accept a Board ruling and goes against the grain of sportsmanship.
UAAP president Sonny Paguia said Dr. Roman will be invited to attend the next UAAP Board meeting so that she may be briefed on how it took up the inquiry on Santosí eligibility. Nothing wrong with that. The UAAP Board, like FEU, has nothing to hide. Itís all in the spirit of disclosure and transparencyĖas Montinola said. No hidden agendas. No sleight-of-hand tricks.
As for FEUís chances to make it to the top four, Montinola said the Tamaraws will need something short of a miracle. "Weíll give it our best shot," he added. "We won only two games in the first round but we beat Ateneo to start the second round. Itíll be an exciting windup. I just hope the season isnít marred by any more problems."
Sana mabasa ni kumpareng Montinola ito bago siya magpuputak sa Martes.