Mariah Carey: For Two Decades, still the Magna Carta of Vocal Superiority (Thread 13) | Music Fans | PinoyExchange

PEx Highlights

Restuarant hunt

Find some of the recommended hidden restaurants in the metro here. Plan your next food trip now!

read more

PROMO: Fist Fight

Check out this thread to know how to win exclusive movie merch from Fist Fight!

read more

2017 PEx Oscar Pool

Join the 2017 PEx Oscar Pool. Check out this thread for more info.

read more

REVIEW: Hacksaw Ridge

"As the screen darkens and the credits start to roll, you are left with a sense of having witnessed something extraordinary."

read more

Recommended driving schools

Looking for a driving school? Here are some recommended schools you may want to check!

read more

From court to courtside!

New commentators are making waves in the UAAP scene. Who's giving you the best impression so far?

read more

Page 1 of 251 1 2 11 51 101 ... Last

Mariah Carey: For Two Decades, still the Magna Carta of Vocal Superiority (Thread 13)

http://i38.tinypic.com/1zequf.png

Mariah Carey (born March 27, 1970) is an American R&B singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress. She made her recording debut in 1990 under the guidance of Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola, and became the first recording artist to have her first five singles top the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Following her marriage to Mottola in 1993, a series of hit records established her position as Columbia's highest-selling act. According to Billboard magazine, she was the most successful artist of the 1990s in the United States.

Following her separation from Mottola in 1997, Carey introduced elements of hip hop into her album work, to much initial success, but her popularity was in decline when she left Columbia in 2001. She signed to Virgin Records but was paid to leave the label the following year after a highly publicized physical and emotional breakdown, as well as the poor reception given to Glitter, her film and soundtrack project. In 2002, Carey signed with Island Records, and after a relatively unsuccessful period, she returned to the top of pop music in 2005.

Carey was named the best-selling female pop artist of the millennium at the 2000 World Music Awards. She has the most number-one singles for a solo artist in the United States (eighteen; second artist overall behind The Beatles),where, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, she is the third best-selling female artist and sixteenth overall recording artist. In addition to her commercial accomplishments, Carey has earned five Grammy Awards, and is well-known for her vocal range, power, melismatic style, and use of the whistle register. She is ranked as the best-selling female artist of the U.S. Nielsen SoundScan era (third best-selling artist overall), with shipments of over 62.5 million albums in the U.S. and has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide.

Yay! My second time to make a Mimi thread.

** Na Ba Talaga?

Yay! New thread na! Right?

download WBT @ Walmart!

Ang galing nung HERO! Downloading pa WBT hahaha! Sana matapos agad!

Vocal Superiority?! I love it. and it's so true!

Long Live Mariah! She's so pregnant.

She's recording new songs, I've read her tweet.

napanood ko nga ang hero sa mdj..naku ang galing full vocal without effects pure voice!!

teka ano pala nangyari sa list ng mga unreleased song ni mariah carey???? scam ba yun???????????????????????????????

Ang galing din nung WBT!!! Pero mas gusto ko yung Hero performance! haha!!!

The Egypt videos are up na din!

I'll be there performance is awesome!

On May 15, 1990, a then unknown singer named Mariah Carey released her first single, "Vision Of Love." Like all new artists, things didn't happen overnight. After much preparation, promotion and as Mariah put it herself to Billboard, "a culmination of a lot of hard work and a lot of dreams," "Vision Of Love" started to make some ground at radio and retail, debuting at #73 on the Billboard Hot 100 on the June 2, 1990 chart.

The first time she heard her debut single "Vision Of Love" on the radio, she was ecstatic, to say the least.

Four days after her very first TV appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show, Mariah found herself center court the first game of the 1990 NBA Finals in Detroit performing "America The Beautiful." The live appearance was a smart marketing move with more than 20,000 people in the stadium and an estimated 14.3 million viewers watching at home. "I've never sung infront of that many people. I was really nervous and when I watch it now it's like this incredible feeling because I went up to the high note at the middle of 'from sea to shining sea.' The whole crowd really, really responded to it and nobody knew who I was at all. And like when I watch the responses of the basketball players, that was a special time for me."

Almost three weeks later, after an upward trend in popularity and visibility, CBS Records released her debut album Mariah Carey on June 13, 1990. CBS was so sure they had a hit on their hands that they launched the largest and most expensive campaign for a new artist since Bruce Springsteen released Born To Run in 1975.

Mariah Carey initially started out slow (which most albums did before the Soundscan era, even for established artists), debuting at #80 on the Billboard 200 on the June 23, 1990 chart. As "Vision Of Love" eventually reached the upper ranks of the Billboard Hot 100, Mariah Carey moved up in its respective chart accordingly. It reached a peak position of #4 on the Billboard 200 when "Vision Of Love" ascended to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 on the August 4, 1990 chart. Mariah Carey was certified platinum just a few weeks later.

Aside from the power of Mariah's vocal, the message of "Vision Of Love" also connected with listeners. While some people have interpreted "Vision Of Love" as a love song, Mariah has said the lyrics actually describe her feelings after finally getting a record deal. In talking to MTV News, Mariah explained that "'Vision Of Love' is about a lot of things. I wrote it right after I signed my deal with Columbia Records and it was a major turning point in my life but it was mostly sort of finding an inner peace and an inner strength because of this major achievement... Basically just a celebration of my life and the things that were happening in my life when I wrote the song."

The lyrics express a theme that would show up in future Mariah songs; the belief that humans can persevere and good fortune will come. Mary J. Blige describes the effect the song had on her in stating, "Mariah Carey's music saved little ghetto children's lives. Songs like 'Visions of Love' gave us hope and we would sing those songs and try to hit every note like Mariah—which we can't." Even Snoop Dogg said, "I always tell [Mariah] this story: When I was locked up in jail, that song 'Vision of Love' was the hottest song in the world." Jay-Z, too, listened to the song while serving time. It's clear the message of "Vision Of Love" cuts through many situations.

While many people can recall first hearing "Vision Of Love" and some even say it is what made them want to sing, the influence of the song runs even deeper. "Vision Of Love" literally set the standard for female singers. As Sasha Frere-Jones wrote in New Yorker, "'Vision of Love' is the Magna Carta of melisma... Carey made melisma a required move for both R&B singers and contestants on American Idol."

Even an artist like Nelly Furtado has said she learned to sing by listening to Mariah's debut album (including "Vision Of Love") and wrote songs similar to Mariah songs. Rich Juzwiak of Slant puts it more succinctly: "I think ['Vision Of Love'] was a vision of the future world of American Idol." In fact, two American Idol winners have said Mariah played a big part in their wanting to become singers. First season winner Kelly Clarkson told American Idol Rewind she realized she wanted to be a professional singer when she sang "Vision Of Love" in a choir solo in seventh grade. Sixth season winner Jordin Sparks told CTV that when she saw Mariah performing on an awards show, "I knew then that's what I wanted to do."

As soon as "Vision Of Love" let up, "Love Takes Time" was right around the corner to keep Mariah Carey selling. The timing was so immaculate and "Love Takes Time" became so popular (it reached #1 on the November 10, 1990 chart and remained at the top for 3 weeks) that the album received a new peak of #3 on the Billboard 200 and stayed within the Top 5 albums all through the later, more competitive part of the year. Towards the end of 1990, "Vision Of Love" finished as the #6 single of the 1990 chart year and Mariah Carey officially became a multi-platinum selling artist.

Mariah would later tell MTV News, "It seems like everything that I did in the first year that I came out with my first album is like a blur."

This was just the beginning of the whirlwind. Mariah Carey had arrived, and she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

MARIAH QUOTES

"I think my mother chose 'Mariah' because it would be a good stage name." Rolling Stone

"I knew from watching and listening to my mom that singing could and would be my profession. And besides, she had to tear me away from the radio each night just to get me to go to sleep." Seventeen

"I think I always knew that there was nothing else I really loved doing. My mother was a professional singer so I knew it was a feasible kind of profession, and it wasn't just a pipe dream." Record Mirror

"I've had boyfriends but I've always been focused to doing music. I've always had this attitude, 'ha, ha, I'm leaving. I'm going to sing.' So I guess they were a little more serious about it than I was. I knew I wasn't going to get out of High School and get married, you know what I mean?" Record Mirror

"I just see myself as a singer/songwriter, and I'm trying to do this because I've wanted to do this all my life. I'm not trying to be like anyone. I'm not trying to take anyone's audiences away, to model or mould myself on anyone else. I'm just trying to basically get my music across and please myself." Blues & Soul

"When no one knows you, you are constantly trying to prove yourself. But, after you have a bit of success, you're still doing it. You're always proving yourself in one way or another. I'd be under more pressure if I didn't have any success. It's not being taken over by something I don't like. I can't complain because I've wanted to do this my whole life." Blues & Soul

"I started rebelling. I just didn't want to do the legitimate kinds of vocalist things, like Broadway music and stuff like that. I got into the people that influenced me more." Wiz Circular

"I'm very happy with what's happened. I've got a great record company. It's hard for me to feel that it's real. I can't touch it. I still feel like the same person who's been striving for a long time. I still feel like me." Entertainment Weekly

"One thing I'm glad I did was that I never sold my publishing, because I almost gave away my publishing for $5,000 when I was 18 and totally broke and trying to get a record deal. Well, it wasn't all my publishing but at the time I was really broke. I went to a meeting with a certain company and there's a song on my first album called 'All In Your Mind' which was never released. The guy heard that and wanted to give me a deal for $5,000 or $10,000 or something. I'm so glad I believed in myself as a writer not to do that and just to stick it out. It was so tempting, though, when you have 5 dollars for the week to live on." Blues & Soul

CELEBRITY QUOTES

Mary J. Blige: "I love Mariah Carey. Mariah Carey's music saved little ghetto children's lives. Songs like "Visions of Love" gave us hope and we would sing those songs and try to hit every note like Mariah -- which we can't. I don't think she knows what a big part she plays in Mary J. Blige's life. And then to meet her... she's such a beautiful person that you can't do anything but defend her when [the media] starts acting stupid on her. She doesn't deserve that." (Barnes and Noble interview)

Rihanna: "I used to sing 'Vision of Love' all the time in the shower, using my toothbrush as my microphone." (51st Grammy Awards Promo)

Beyonce Knowles: "'Vision of Love,' when I first heard that song, I knew it, my mind was made up - I had to be a singer." (MTV Europe)

Nelly Furtado: "The first singer I really got into was Mariah Carey when I was about 12. She kind of taught me how to sing 'cause, you know, couldn't really afford singing lessons. So, I would just listen to Mariah Carey's CD over and over again, and learn all her lyrics." (MTV Overdrive)

Whitney Houston: When asked if she remembered first hearing Mariah's music, Whitney replied by singing a line from "Vision of Love" and said, "Yep, I remember it. It was like, kinda, my tone, not quite me. Who is she?" (MTV interview with John Norris)

Nivea: "I was watching 'The Arsenio Hall Show,' and Mariah was performing 'Vision of Love.' The way she projected her voice, she just had so much power. I knew then that I wanted to make people feel the way she made me feel. I bought all her albums and learned all the songs. That's all I would do all day long sing Mariah Carey songs." (Yahoo! Music Interview)

Lucie Silvas: "I was obsessed. I remember the moment I first heard Vision of Love, then I saw this white girl with a black voice on television, and everything about her bowled me over. You could relate to her and yet she was a magical icon, and throughout my school days all I dreamed of was being like Mariah Carey. She sang with a gospel choir around her, which was always my dream. I just wanted to be her." (Guardian Unlimited)

Anastacia: "From her very first album till now her voice has been absolutely glorious to listen to. I am affected by every note she hits, which is practically every note on the keyboard." (Smash Hits)

Christina Aguilera: "I discovered Mariah in my room one day listening to the radio, and as soon as 'Vision of Love' came on, I ran downstairs going, 'Mommy, Mommy - I just found the greatest person in the world! I just heard the greatest new voice!'" (Entertainment Weekly)

Snoop Dogg: "I always tell her this story: When I was locked up in jail, that song 'Vision of Love' was the hottest song in the world. I used to always say, 'Man, if I could meet her!'" (MTV)

Source: MDJ Celebrates Mariah's 20 Years in Music: 1990
    Last edited by sheppard01; Jun 8, 2010 at 07:11 AM.

At the top of 1991, Mariah's newfound popularity (she was a triple-platinum artist at this point) showed no signs of waning in the slightest. "Someday" went to radio and became a massive hit fast (it was actually the biggest radio hit of the four singles) pushing Mariah Carey to four-times platinum status and to #1 on the Billboard 200 (where it stayed atop the charts for 11 weeks) in the last week of February. A week later, "Someday" reached the summit on the Billboard Hot 100 and stayed for 2 consecutive weeks total.

On February 20, newcomer Mariah joined music's biggest names at the 33rd Grammy Awards at Radio City Music Hall. She left that night with two honors: Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal for "Vision Of Love," which she also performed on the telecast. In a 1992 interview, Mariah had this to say about performing: "What harder audience could you possibly have? And that was like only the fifth live thing I'd ever done, or something, and it's like getting up there and being in front of those people is horrifying.

"When I got up on the stage and I was actually accepting my award, it didn't seem real," Mariah told Good Morning America in 1991 when recalling winning Best New Artist. "I was just like standing there looking at these faces of these famous producers and musicians and people out in the audience. It was really the most incredible moment of my life. I mean, I can't imagine anything topping that."

All this, and her first album hadn't even run its course yet. In April, "I Don't Wanna Cry" debuted at radio and Mariah Carey was certified five-times platinum literally a few weeks later. "I Don't Wanna Cry" moved just as fast as its predecessors on the charts, reaching #1 in eight weeks. After four straight number one singles (still an unprecedented feat for a female artist), over 5 million in album sales in just one year and later on a high placing on Billboard's 1991 year-end album chart (#1), Mariah Carey was in the commercial vicinity of top albums by female singers like Whitney Houston, Madonna, Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson.

Hot on the heels of her phenominally successful debut record, Mariah didn't skip a beat returning to the studio to work on her second album. On August 31, "Emotions," the title track and first single from the upcoming record, debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at #35, the highest entry of any of Mariah's singles up to that point. Six weeks later, the song reached number one, where it stayed for three weeks. "Emotions" also gave Mariah the distinction of being the first artist to have her first five singles reach number one.

In September, the Emotions album hit shelves worldwide. The record boasted production credits from David Cole & Robert Clivilles of C&C Music Factory, Walter Afanasieff, and, most notably, Mariah herself. "Emotions was my first effort as a producer," she told MTV News in 1991. "I co-produced the whole album and it was a lot of fun. But more importantly it gave me the chance to be very intricately involved in every aspect of the recording and I loved it."

If Mariah or Sony were worried at all about the "sophomore jinx," their concerns were quickly put to rest upon the release of the album. Emotions was well-received by critics. New York Newsday found that the record had "the sort of genuine passion that was completely missing from the first album."

Entertainment Weekly proclaimed that Mariah "reaches for epiphany on every cut." People concluded that "Carey is truly a transcendent talent." The acclaimed album went on to debut and peak at #4 on the Billboard charts.

Mariah's promotional circuit for the Emotions album included stops at Saturday Night Live, The Arsenio Hall Show, Soul Train, and a performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. She also promoted overseas in Europe, where she performed on shows such as Des O'Connor and Top of the Pops.

Three more number one singles and a top five album were not the only highlights of 1991 for Mariah. In addition to her Grammys, she accepted an American Music Award, five Billboard Music Awards, five BMI Pop Awards, and also was voted "Best New Female Artist" in the Rolling Stone Magazine Readers' Pick Awards. Mariah told Good Morning America that 1991 was

MARIAH QUOTES

"If I wanted to stay home and write songs and make a moderate living, I could do that. I'm not worried that I have to go back and waitress." New York

"When you start believing the hype, that's when you go downhill. I definitely feel the same person I was two years ago when no one wanted to listen to my tape. That's what keeps me grounded. Maybe because I'm doing the same thing, music - that's what gives me the most pleasure. The rush of being new and hot can fade - it will fade - but the music will always be there." Q

"I can't help the way I look, because it's me. I don't try to look a certain way or sing a certain way." Ebony

"Singing makes me incredibly happy. Music makes me immeasurably happy." Ebony

"My priority is to do music that I'm proud of and that I'll continue to be proud of ten years from now, twenty years from now. It's amazing to think that people enjoy what I do and are going to, sort of acknowledge me as a singer and a songwriter and that makes me feel really good." MTV News

"From now on, all I really want to do is continue to grow as an artist and to just continue putting out music and hope that people that have supported me will stay with me. You know, you can't always be number one, you can't always be winning every award. But I mean just to be putting music out there and to be having some level of success has always been my goal." MTV News

"I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to have a long career as a singer-songwriter and be singing twenty years from now, thirty years from now. It's always been my dream and it's incredible to be able to have this success and I just want to keep on going." MTV News

"There's absolutely nothing in the world that I would rather do than sing and write songs and be surrounded by music. It's everything to me. There's never been a moment in my life when I didn't know that this was it for me. This is what I want to do." The Today Show

"Some people are just more comfortable in the studio. I'm more comfortable because it's a controlled environment, it's a creative environment. That's where I'm at my best. That's what I do. I'm an introverted person and it's hard for me to get out there and really Hollywood and really ham it up. It's just not who I am. But I do want to go out there and see the people who supported me and perform for those people and do the best that I can do." The Today Show

Source: MDJ Celebrates Mariah's 20 Years in Music: 1991

Quote Originally Posted by mulder8scully5 View Post
    Ang galing din nung WBT!!! Pero mas gusto ko yung Hero performance! haha!!!

The Egypt videos are up na din!

I'll be there performance is awesome!
    May WBT WALMART link ka na? Wala na sa You tube eh.

Quote Originally Posted by sheppard01 View Post
    uy BabyShane, peace na tayo..
    Sureness! Cheers to all of us!

grabe hirap nya sa waltermart..at yung damit bakit naman ganun kafit...di na sya makahinga naman

sheppard! I love the links to the old threads! sobrang iba pa ang mga lambs.. hehehehe.. at batang bulinggit pako, buhay na pala ang threads ni Mariah sa Pex..

baby baby beybey!!!
    PRESENT!!!!!

bongga! magna carta of vocal superiority!

nabasa ko nanaman toh! AHAHA! )

Mariah Carey: Ang Babaeng Biritera At Mahalay Manamit Pero Maganda (Thread 9)

baby baby beybey!!!
    hey lambs narinig nyo na yung Angels Cry Jump Smoker remix?

di ko makita... leaked na daw eeeh....

new thread...nice

fan here from the very start of her career...haist memories...hello lambs...

kainis. di ako makapost ng maayos..

hanggang 1991 na lang talaga maipopost ko.. hayz..

laging internal error.

Swift as Taylor :) Black Kitten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by choime View Post
    grabe hirap nya sa waltermart..at yung damit bakit naman ganun kafit...di na sya makahinga naman

cheers, lambs!

Page 1 of 251 1 2 11 51 101 ... Last