The shady history of PDI Columnnist Conrado de Quiros | Local and Foreign Issues | PinoyExchange

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

The shady history of PDI Columnnist Conrado de Quiros

Conrado de Quiros was a Marcos speechwriter and an uber rabid Cory Aquino basher.

Collaborators, propagandists and selective memories
    February 24, 2010

COLUMNIST Conrado de Quiros was almost choking on tears when he recounted Monday the righteous combustion that was Edsa 1.

Conrado De Quiros

“They were there to end a regime that had ground the country to heel, that had stolen not just the people’s wealth but the people’s lives, the people’s hopes, the people’s future,” De Quiros wrote about the multitudes who, dreaming the impossible dream, rushed to Camp Aguinaldo 24 years ago to become “the battering ram called Edsa.”

What De Quiros forgot to disclose in his reverie was that he had been on the other side of the fence during those years of living dangerously. He was firmly entrenched in the Marcos camp even after the strongman had already fled, polishing propaganda for the hero that he now publicly thrashes.

Along with now press freedom fighter Luis Teodoro and Ateneo professor Benito Lim, De Quiros led the Marcos speechwriting collective nurtured by government finances and government housing. De Quiros, to this day, still lives in the Marcos-provided NHA townhouse complex behind SM City North Edsa.

The speech-writing collective was employed by the Presidential Center for Special Studies under the late Adrian Cristobal, first under the Presidential Center for Advanced Studies in the University of the Philippines and later under the renamed PCSS after PCAS, under fire from the underground opposition within the state university, decamped from Diliman to a rented safehouse in New Manila’s Ilang-Ilang street.

It was there that De Quiros and company had been overtaken by Edsa 1 events.

Despite what he now claims as having been enchanted by “the province of Angelus” when Cory Aquino drew hundreds of thousands to Luneta during the dying days of the Marcos regime, De Quiros chose to stick it out with PCSS, even after Marcos had fled, until the office was abolished, and the De Quiros collective rendered jobless, by Cory Aquino herself.

According to a colleague who asked not to be identified by name, the firing led to a blue period or the Marcos speechwriter, a bitterness that apparently lingered well into the end of the Cory Aquino presidency, calling her the “Queen of Darkness” for her eight-hour brownout legacy during his Philippine Daily Globe days .

The bitteness again burst in the aftermath of the Hacienda Luisita massacre, when De Quiros, in columns after columns in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, skewered in leftwing indignation not only the Cojuangcos but also Benigno Aquino III himself.

^ hahahaha exposed!

parang Ernestina lang ah.

from what i remember din pro-GMA dati yan si de quiros.

Banned by Admin
    de quiros is a failure of a columnist. too bad, really.

De quiros can write very well, but I can only take so much venom and rant, really. I've ceased to read his column for about a couple of years now.

I don't get it. He switched sides, so what? Aren't we allowed to change our opinions on people and issues? It's argumentum ad hominem anyway. You should disprove the message and not discredit the messenger. Same with Ernestina.

But I agree. I read his columns when he was critical of everyone, even of the Aquinos. Now he seems to be a mouthpiece with his good vs evil columns. I stopped reading them when it became too cheesy even for a Noy supporter like me.

Conrado de Quiros --- it's not even his real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Abnoynoy View Post
    I don't get it. He switched sides, so what? Aren't we allowed to change our opinions on people and issues? It's argumentum ad hominem anyway. You should disprove the message and not discredit the messenger. Same with Ernestina.

But I agree. I read his columns when he was critical of everyone, even of the Aquinos. Now he seems to be a mouthpiece with his good vs evil columns. I stopped reading them when it became too cheesy even for a Noy supporter like me.

Conrado de Quiros --- it's not even his real name.
    Did he admit (and apologized) for the "mistaken" opinions he spewed in the past? I don't think so. Switching sides is ok, as long as you recognize the mistakes of your past.

What mistakes?

this thread is exactly like what teodoro supporters and arroyo apologists do here in LAFI: if they can't present smart and intelligent answers to points raised by posters (or someone like quiros), resort to CHARACTER ASSASINATION and PERSONAL INSULTS on the person/poster/writer.

same thing they do survey results: if the results are not favorable to teodoro, QUESTION AND DESTROY the credibility of the poll agency, the owners of the poll agenncy or the one who commissioned the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphicVision View Post
    Did he admit (and apologized) for the "mistaken" opinions he spewed in the past? I don't think so. Switching sides is ok, as long as you recognize the mistakes of your past.
    when it comes to "opinions", there are no mistaken opinions. kaya nga opinion e.

Banned by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sargo View Post
    when it comes to "opinions", there are no mistaken opinions. kaya nga opinion e.
    nah, there are mistaken opinions - those that come from mistaken assumptions.

i regularly read the column of De Quiros...he is one of the best intelligent writers we have today...

balimbing at walang prinsipyo si conrado de quiros. tignan niyo kung paano siya bumaliktad.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/182515/h...isita-massacre

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/articles/2010/conradodequirosquote.jpg

“It is an illegal strike, no strike vote was called," then-Tarlac Congressman Benigno “Noynoy" Aquino III said in a speech at the House of Representatives to defend the dispersal of strikers at his family’s plantation, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported on November 17, 2004.

The day before, the dispersal at Hacienda Luisita left at least seven people dead and 121 injured, 32 from gunshot wounds. In his speech, Aquino condemned the violence but defended the dispersal, saying the police and soldiers were “subjected to sniper fire coming from an adjacent barangay."

Five days later, Aquino was flogged by Inquirer columnist Conrado De Quiros.

“At the very most, workers have a right to strike. One would imagine congressmen would know that," De Quiros wrote in his November 22, 2004 column. “A strike is neither illegal nor immoral, it is sanctioned by the Constitution and enshrined in the tradition of the workers’ movement. Only Lucio Tan and now Ninoy’s namesake think it is not."

De Quiros further wrote: “Noynoy Aquino says leftists goaded the workers . . . to strike. Well, so what? . . . They could not have succeeded if the workers were not ripe for the goading . . . If leftists had not goaded workers, farmers, students, and other sectors to mount national strikes, or ‘welgang bayan’, during Martial Law, the Aquinos would not be there."

De Quiros also wrote: “The life of Ninoy is not more important than the lives of the workers who died in the blaze of gunfire . . . Hacienda Luisita will always be the symbol of the failure of EDSA to move the country from tyranny to democracy . . . As in the days of the feudal manor, serfs are owned by their landlords body and soul. They can be told to do anything, including to agree to ‘stock option’."

Finally: “Ninoy Aquino might have been talking of today when he said: ‘Here is a land consecrated to democracy but run by an entrenched plutocracy’. Here is a land of privilege and rank—a republic dedicated to equality but mired in an archaic system of caste’."

“If that ain’t broke, what is?" De Quiros concluded.

Five years later, De Quiros was handpicked by the Aquinos to speak at their mother Cory’s funeral.

Exactly one week later, (August 10, 2009), his column carried the headline “Noynoy for president".

“Noynoy running for president will deliver us back to . . . the time or place of the great fight between Good and Evil," De Quiros proclaimed. “Between Cory and Marcos, between Obama and Bush, between the Fellowship of the Ring and the Eye of Mordor, between Luke Skywalker and the Evil Empire. Use the Force, Noy."

Exactly 40 days after his mother’s burial, Aquino “used the Force"and announced he was running for President.

Quote Originally Posted by hoygising View Post
    balimbing at walang prinsipyo si conrado de quiros. tignan niyo kung paano siya bumaliktad.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/182515/h...isita-massacre

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/articles/2010/conradodequirosquote.jpg

“It is an illegal strike, no strike vote was called," then-Tarlac Congressman Benigno “Noynoy" Aquino III said in a speech at the House of Representatives to defend the dispersal of strikers at his family’s plantation, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported on November 17, 2004.

The day before, the dispersal at Hacienda Luisita left at least seven people dead and 121 injured, 32 from gunshot wounds. In his speech, Aquino condemned the violence but defended the dispersal, saying the police and soldiers were “subjected to sniper fire coming from an adjacent barangay."

Five days later, Aquino was flogged by Inquirer columnist Conrado De Quiros.

“At the very most, workers have a right to strike. One would imagine congressmen would know that," De Quiros wrote in his November 22, 2004 column. “A strike is neither illegal nor immoral, it is sanctioned by the Constitution and enshrined in the tradition of the workers’ movement. Only Lucio Tan and now Ninoy’s namesake think it is not."

De Quiros further wrote: “Noynoy Aquino says leftists goaded the workers . . . to strike. Well, so what? . . . They could not have succeeded if the workers were not ripe for the goading . . . If leftists had not goaded workers, farmers, students, and other sectors to mount national strikes, or ‘welgang bayan’, during Martial Law, the Aquinos would not be there."

De Quiros also wrote: “The life of Ninoy is not more important than the lives of the workers who died in the blaze of gunfire . . . Hacienda Luisita will always be the symbol of the failure of EDSA to move the country from tyranny to democracy . . . As in the days of the feudal manor, serfs are owned by their landlords body and soul. They can be told to do anything, including to agree to ‘stock option’."

Finally: “Ninoy Aquino might have been talking of today when he said: ‘Here is a land consecrated to democracy but run by an entrenched plutocracy’. Here is a land of privilege and rank—a republic dedicated to equality but mired in an archaic system of caste’."

“If that ain’t broke, what is?" De Quiros concluded.

Five years later, De Quiros was handpicked by the Aquinos to speak at their mother Cory’s funeral.

Exactly one week later, (August 10, 2009), his column carried the headline “Noynoy for president".

“Noynoy running for president will deliver us back to . . . the time or place of the great fight between Good and Evil," De Quiros proclaimed. “Between Cory and Marcos, between Obama and Bush, between the Fellowship of the Ring and the Eye of Mordor, between Luke Skywalker and the Evil Empire. Use the Force, Noy."

Exactly 40 days after his mother’s burial, Aquino “used the Force"and announced he was running for President.
    What is the problem with that?

What is the issue then?

Christ, Cross, Catholic nicolai_frank's Avatar
    ^ You love someone you once loathed.

It is not about feelings. It is about principles. CdQ has been attacking the Aquinos incessantly but later on adored them like gods from heaven.

balimbing Mr. De Quiros is destroying himself

Christ, Cross, Catholic nicolai_frank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sargo View Post
    Two contradictory opinions cannot both be correct.

To opine at one instance that Noynoy was a human right violator and to opine later that he was a human right protector cannot both correct.

eto na **** mga gibo supporters pa di masagot yung issue character assasinasion ginagawa.siguro pag pabor sa manok nila puring puri.. parang survey lang yan hehehhe

Three weeks ago, I listed Conrado de Quiros and Alex Magno as paid hacks in the thread entitled "Paid Hacks In Phil. Media. List Them Here".

So it seems de Quiros has had considerable experience as a hack, not only at present, but way back then. Looks like the arrogant and now fanatically pro-Noynoy de Quiros polished his hacking skills in the Marcos propaganda machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill123 View Post
    Three weeks ago, I listed Conrado de Quiros and Alex Magno as paid hacks in the thread entitled "Paid Hacks In Phil. Media. List Them Here".

So it seems de Quiros has had considerable experience as a hack, not only at present, but way back then. Looks like the arrogant and now fanatically pro-Noynoy de Quiros polished his hacking skills in the Marcos propaganda machine.
    Quite correct. De Quiros is a mercenary fiction writer, who sells his skills to the highest bidder.

I just read the column. Too bad, I really like the "way" he writes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last