PEx Highlights

FEATURE: Top UAAP Stories in 2014

We take a look back to reflect and celebrate the best stories in the UAAP that happened in the past year.

read more

PEx Christmas: The PBA Christmas Wishlist

'tis the season of gifts and wishlists! JPM plays Santa's consultant and lists down the best Christmas gift for each PBA team.

read more

REVIEW: Laggies

If Laggies was an animal, it will be an old turtle -- slow, old and boring. Read our full review here.

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

GALLERY: PBA Philippine Cup Semifinals

Check out photos from each game of the PBA Philippine Cup Semis here!

read more

The Best of 2014: PExers Choice Awards

The results are finally here! Find out who won the hearts of the PinoyExchange community in The Best of 2014: PExers Choice Awards!

read more

Delikadeza

If you haven't heard of this word then let me explain to you what it is:

Delicadeza is a Spanish term which when translated in English means daintiness. It is defined as an act of being refined or delicate in tastes or manners. But in simple terms, its commonly referred to as a sense of propriety or how to behave rightly in all circumstances. It is in essence an etiquette that was passed on to us as a legacy of the Spanish culture.

It is a Spanish trait we filipinos inherited, that has greatly defined our culture, our hospitable nature might have originated from this trait.

let's talk about it. Is "delikadeza" incompatible with modernity? do you still adhere to it? or do you think it's a form of weakness or illness the filipinos acquired.

i agree with the simple meaning of delicadeza as sense of propriety. everyone should know how to act according to the situation that they are in, even with our times. having good manners is not a sign of weakness, and it should never be obsolete.

I think delicadeza has a lot to do with honour. Examples: fulfilling gentleman's agreements, resigning before being fired/impeached, treating enemies/subordinates with respect, etc.

I think we've lost it.

Late 80s or early 90s, may commercial from Landbank yata about delicadeza and palabra de honor. May iba pa bang ka-generation ko na nakakaalala nito?

Your Personal Jesus F-A Soldier's Avatar
    I don't think we lost, it just changed. the problem with codes of honor, whether it be chivalry, bushido, confucian filial piety what have you is that it's a literal code where it's written and the version as we define it as unchanging and reify it if itself is not defined by times and by societies' normal conciousness...when society and the only thing constant is change.

Some cases the literal cultural expression of 'delicadesa' two hundred years ago was wearing baro't saya...a woman wearing what girls with taste but with total class and sensitivity today would be considered a '*****' by their standards. Having a boyfriend? Harlot-like. Kissing and signs of affection even to children (in Victorian times especially)? Ridiculous.

There's a thread in here two or three months ago about Filipinos losing culture...and it's almost exactly like this.

And no you can't justify propriety even then: remember despite the olden times' charm of how seemingly 'pure' they were, they were far racist, ignorant and superstitious. Times change so should we...there are basic tenets (the American Declaration well used the word "unalienable"), but even then we have to understand the construct of their meaning.

noon- delicadeza & palabra de honor

ngayon- pakapalan ng muka?

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
    Late 80s or early 90s, may commercial from Landbank yata about delicadeza and palabra de honor. May iba pa bang ka-generation ko na nakakaalala nito?
    DBP ata yun hindi landbank....marami yan ..."ayaw kong maging dukhaaaa", "lampayatot lampayatot!" ..... at ang famous "pag laki ko gagayahin ko ang tatay ko"

cubicle beast of burden slim_chance79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_BuGs View Post
    DBP ata yun hindi landbank....marami yan ..."ayaw kong maging dukhaaaa", "lampayatot lampayatot!" ..... at ang famous "pag laki ko gagayahin ko ang tatay ko"
    Landbank yung delicadeza commercial, yung may family na kumakain sa restaurant, and yung palabra de honor, which i already forgot.

DBP yung ayokong maging dukha. Sa vitamins naman ang lampayatot.

Kinda reveals my age and tv viewing habits

OnT: true, pakapalan ng mukha ngayon. Kung may chance na lumusot, lulusot talaga kahit halatang-halata na.

Quote Originally Posted by F-A Soldier View Post
    I don't think we lost, it just changed. the problem with codes of honor, whether it be chivalry, bushido, confucian filial piety what have you is that it's a literal code where it's written and the version as we define it as unchanging and reify it if itself is not defined by times and by societies' normal conciousness...when society and the only thing constant is change.

Some cases the literal cultural expression of 'delicadesa' two hundred years ago was wearing baro't saya...a woman wearing what girls with taste but with total class and sensitivity today would be considered a '*****' by their standards. Having a boyfriend? Harlot-like. Kissing and signs of affection even to children (in Victorian times especially)? Ridiculous.

There's a thread in here two or three months ago about Filipinos losing culture...and it's almost exactly like this.

And no you can't justify propriety even then: remember despite the olden times' charm of how seemingly 'pure' they were, they were far racist, ignorant and superstitious. Times change so should we...there are basic tenets (the American Declaration well used the word "unalienable"), but even then we have to understand the construct of their meaning.
    wew!!!

o

Your Personal Jesus F-A Soldier's Avatar
    Delicadeza means 'delicateness' right? Well even if times change, we can all act with finesses and refinement.

A little bit of everything soltera81's Avatar
    tacit understandings, concept of decency and propriety. unwritten, yet it underpins every constitution and contract we encounter in our daily lives.

Quote Originally Posted by charcan View Post
    wew!!!

o
    OY! bruhaaaa.. i miss you , where na u?

naputulan na ata ng internet connection ang loka.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by soltera81 View Post
    tacit understandings, concept of decency and propriety. unwritten, yet it underpins every constitution and contract we encounter in our daily lives.
    ang taray..

napaikot ang isip ko..LOL

^ that's our daily dose of soltera

Quote Originally Posted by slim_chance79 View Post
    Landbank yung delicadeza commercial, yung may family na kumakain sa restaurant, and yung palabra de honor, which i already forgot.

DBP yung ayokong maging dukha. Sa vitamins naman ang lampayatot.

Kinda reveals my age and tv viewing habits

OnT: true, pakapalan ng mukha ngayon. Kung may chance na lumusot, lulusot talaga kahit halatang-halata na.
    yes, that one, yung may family sa resto. thanks for confirming!

^feu Ftw!..........

ibang delikadeza pala ang bubungad saken dito.

Mukhang nagkalabuan na ng meaning ng delikadeza? Hahaha...