PEx Highlights

FEATURE: The Travails of Chot Reyes

Find out as Jay P. Mercado weighs in on the criticism handed to our national basketball team coach, Chot Reyes.

read more

PHOTOS: NU Books Final Four Slot

Bong Galanza blew a chance to win it for UE in the dying seconds of the game, failing to secure a comeback win. National U came out as victors, 51-49.

read more

Show Me Your One Big Teeths!

Virgie is absent but Merly has a special guest in this week's episode! Find out who it is in this week's Cheerdance edition of Show Me Your Teeths!

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: Wish I Was Here

Joey King breaks out in her role in a pretty decent dramedy, Wish I Was Here.

read more

First BPO Choice Awards Official Launch

The Core Productions, Inc., presented the first industry and awards night that revels the voice of the IT-BPO industry at the ICITE Auditorium.

read more

UAAP End of Eliminations Power Rankings

Fun times in Katipunan, the streaking Red Warriors and a very happy Norbert Torres. All that and more in this week's power rankings!

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned by Admin

The Worst Typhoon

I don't know if there's a similar thread here at Buhay Pinoy. If there is, I would like to ask our moderator to please merge the thread with the original one.

Fellow pexers, after the onslaught of typhoon Ondoy, which do you think is our worst typhoon ever and why?

In the recent years, two typhoons come to my mind as the strongest and the worst ones. Many lives were lost and millions of pesos worth of properties and infrastructures were damaged.

1. Milenyo - I remeber that I was still working in the south at the time that this typhoon struck the Metro. When we went out of the office, even if the management strongly suggested that we should stay put, I was amazed how strong the winds were. I could feel myself being blown away. We could see brances of trees, roofs and billboards everywhere. Deadly combination of strong wind and heavy rains.

2. Ondoy - I never thought that this would be a BIG one. Though the wind was not as strong as Milenyo, the heavy rainfall flooded most parts of Manila and Rizal.

Pinaka malakas na na-experienced kng bagyo is bagyong "Rosing" 90's pa toh. Konti lang ang tubig ulan na binuhus pero sobrang lakas ng hangin.

for me it's ONDOY first time nangyari toh sa aming mga taga

marikina,,,..parang need na talaga namin yung Noah's ark!!!

One other typhoon I remember was Rosing back in 1995. I was in 6th grade back then and was in a retreat when it happened. We were unable to go home and was stranded in Laguna during that time. Grabe yung damage everywhere when we returned to manila the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter► View Post
    Pinaka malakas na na-experienced kng bagyo is bagyong "Rosing" 90's pa toh. Konti lang ang tubig ulan na binuhus pero sobrang lakas ng hangin.
    yeah! typhoon Rosing.. elementary ata ako nito.. eto yung last na bahang naranasan ko prior to Ondoy... ganun katagal ng ende binabaha yung bahay namen...then came Ondoy..

grabe din toh (Rosing), mga bubong makikita mo talagang nagliliparan..

rosing..

legend sya para sa kin.. tinanggal ba naman yung bubuong ng school namen.. basang basa books namin nun..

naexperience ko eh..

opnion ko lang po..

salamat..

Probably before the time of most of you.

November 1970: typhoon Yoling (international name: Patsy). The Channel 11 tower in Project 7 QC was torn down by that typhoon. No electric power, phone service and water for a month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Patsy_(1970)

-Just_JT
    Try.surviving.without.power.and.water.for.a.month.

i guess it's still Rosing, 3 days ata nun na malakas ang wind.

for me, it's Milenyo kasi

Ondoy wasn't event at typhoon strength when it pummeled Metro Manila and surrounding regions, winds were at just 35 Knots/Hr (which is at tropical strom strength)

A typhoon must have winds at least 65 knots/hr... Ondoy only reached that intensity upon exiting the country in the South China Sea.... at present, Ondoy is now at Cat-2 typhoon with winds of 85 Knots/Hr soon to make landfall in vietnam.

metrosexual shopaholic glenchuy's Avatar
    i have stayed in our house for more than 20 years.

never. not once, ever. has our house been flooded. last saturday, the flood reached 2.0 meters. lubog ang entire front door. lubog ang 3 sasakyan.

to think that our house is already around 1.5 meters off the street level.

mas malakas yung rosing. bata pa ako nun. lumiwanag yung taas namin. pagtingala ko wala na kaming bubong. 1 linggo walang kuryente. nagkalat ang transformers (not the robot)sa daan. along with bubong and gulubong(gulong sa bubong). daming nagkadiarrhea dahil sa tubig.

yung milenyo naman is known for toppling down enormous billboards sa edsa. 1 linggo ding walang ilaw. commercial area yun. imagine the residential areas. more than 2 weeks siguro.

and may parating pang typhoon sa thursday.

My Redeemer lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by taxonomist20 View Post
    for me, it's Milenyo kasi

Ondoy wasn't event at typhoon strength when it pummeled Metro Manila and surrounding regions, winds were at just 35 Knots/Hr (which is at tropical strom strength)

A typhoon must have winds at least 65 knots/hr... Ondoy only reached that intensity upon exiting the country in the South China Sea.... at present, Ondoy is now at Cat-2 typhoon with winds of 85 Knots/Hr soon to make landfall in vietnam.
    I was about to say the same thing. Ondoy only became a typhoon after leaving the Philippine AOR.

yoling and rosing were scary howlers, while milenyo was a nasty storm.

Mas malakas yung Milenyo, kaya lang naman naging grabe ang effect ng Ondoy is because of the releasing of those damn dams..

^ at high tide pati...

Banned by Admin
    Well, it was not the strong wind that makes Ondoy one of the worst typhoons... it was the heavy rainfall.

The damns would have not let out tons of water if not for the heavy rainfall.

Rosing tops my list. I'm glad hindi hinagip ang bubong ng bahay namin, pero dinig na dinig namin ang lakas ng hangin.

Well sa personal experience ko, yung Milenyo kasi dun ko naexperience na ma-stuck talaga sa loob ng dorm sa Manila na walang food, kuryente, water. Mga one day akong stuck sa dorm, pero thankfully nasundo ako ng parents ko, tapos mga 3 days kaming walang kuryente sa San Pablo.

Yung Rosing bata pa ako so di ko na maalala. Yung Ondoy naman tamang tama na umuwi ako sa San Pablo, and hindi nagbaha or nawalan ng kuryente/tubig doon thank God, so wala akong firsthand experience.

Pero in general, mas marami akong personal na kilala na naaffect ng Ondoy, yung mga nastuck talaga sa bubong ng mga bahay nila, in traffic for 12+ hours so I think in general,worst aftermath itong Ondoy.

It was Trining, this typhoon hits Ilocos Norte way back in 1990 ( i was still living in ilocs back then), i can vividly remember it was typhoon before another typhoon struck Ormoc that killed and drowned thousands of people. The typhoon trining had almost 300 knots/hr.

Pinapanood ko na lang yung Dirty Kitchen namin sa likod na nawala, acasia trees and all trees sa paligid ng House namin were uprooted. Alam mo yung literal na pader e lumilipad. Nakakatakot

Second siguro yung Rosing. Pero kung Rainfall and flood damage naman, Ondoy is just a phenomenon.

Typhoons head to head.

Typhoon Category When Sustained winds (kph) Gust winds (kph) Casualties
    Yoling 4 1970-Nov 150 250 262
    Trining 5 1991-Oct 266 n/a 12
    Rosing 5 1995-Oct 285 345 900
    Milenyo 5 2006-Oct 150 230 279

Looks like Rosing tops the list of most powerful typhoon.

-Just_JT
    Info.c/o.wikipedia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast