PEx Highlights

Tolomia: FEU Needs to Work on Defense

Mike Tolomia says his squad still needs to improve their defense if they want to contend this season.

read more

Prepare to Go Into the Storm

From New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, comes the tornado disaster film Into the Storm.

read more

PHOTOS: Army Survives Ateneo Scare

Army wins against Ateneo despite blowing off a two-set lead, 25-22, 25-13, 28-30, 20-25, 16-14.

read more

PHOTOS: DLSU Completes Comeback Win vs UE

Prince Rivero came up big in the clutch, scoring two crucial baskets to help DLSU complete comeback bid over UE, 60-58

read more

The Unique Heroes of Marvel's Guardians

Know more about Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket.

read more

Review: Hercules

Bordering on ridiculous, Dwayne Johnson delivers and Hercules is a fun and entertaining ride.

read more

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado View Post
    According to my UST & UP Professors and ASP, It is more appropriate to call them as "Child/Person with Autism" rather than "Autistic/*****/Retarded".
    Quote Originally Posted by Papichulo168 View Post
    ^
    Can you also ask your professors if we should call artistic children as "children inclined to the arts"?
    this is purely illogical to ask. you're like asking to compare between apples & oranges, which is way completely different term.

just my .02 cents.

"It's just a flesh wound.." cyberfunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzmine22 View Post
    I think that my daughter is not special, or any child for that matter. She is unique Unique beauty, unique talents, unique traits, at least to me, her mom.

Well, thats what we call them in the hospital. Special kids because they have special needs. Autistic is just the medical term, but how will you call them in lay man's term? I think it suits to call them special.

So special kids describes any kid with special need. How can you differentiate from one who's with autism and the other one with a down syndrome? Whats wrong with a noun? Thats what nouns are for. It cant also be politically correct if you start calling people or persons with an adjective.

Off Topic:

Uhhh, first of all. they aren't my customers.

According to my UST & UP Professors and ASP, It is more appropriate to call them as "Child/Person with Autism" rather than "Autistic/*****/Retarded".
    First. Autistic, ***** and retarded cannot be associated with each other. Please stop regarding them as one and the same. ***** and retarded are derogatory terms. Autistic is a valid term of a condition of a person who suffers from autism. Autistic is an adjective while autism is a noun. So a Child/Person with Autism is autistic. Same as a person with diabetes is a diabetic. Same as a person who's anal retentive is a tight a$s.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfunk View Post
    Pero pansin ko lang how come most of the kids that I see has autism and ADD belongs to a more affluent families.
    Puwede rin kasing sila ang may pera para ma-diagnose ang mga anak nila. Kapag mahirap lang ang mga magulang ng bata at walang pang doktor, sila na ang gagawa ng "diagnosis," gaya ng basagulero kunyari ang bata, o bobo, malikot, etc.

First. Autistic, ***** and retarded cannot be associated with each other. Please stop regarding them as one and the same. ***** and retarded are derogatory terms. Autistic is a valid term of a condition of a person who suffers from autism. Autistic is an adjective while autism is a noun. So a Child/Person with Autism is autistic. Same as a person with diabetes is a diabetic. Same as a person who's anal retentive is a tight a$s.
    tingin ko, ang ibig sabihin ng nag post about calling child with autism as autistic is inappropriate. siguro most of us will not understand dahil hindi naman lahat dito ay therapist or teachers.

magkaiba naman kasi ng scenario ang binigay mo situation like person with diabetes is a diabetic tas icocompare mo sa child with autism.

case to case basis ang term na paggamit ng autistic. kasi iba ang approach nito sa medical field unlike sa iba nabanggit mo (Same as a person with diabetes is a diabetic. Same as a person who's anal retentive is a tight a$s etcetera etc.).

ganyan rin sinabi ng family doctor namin, na avoid using the term "autistic child" when referring to person with autism.
    Last edited by physio; Aug 29, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

You miss the point.

Referring Children with Autism as Autistic Kid is a different scenario from person with diabetes calling as diabetic.

[spoiler start] If I may ask, are you even a doctor or a therapist by any chance? Cause I think you should read first your PT/OT Code of Ethics book, might as well check out the Medical Code of Ethics.

Well, just in case you don't know what I am talking about.
    [/spoiler end]

nagtataka lang ako, bat todo depensa kayo kay josh, pero nung panahon ni L.A. Lopez eh ang daming nanglalait sa kanyang pexer? wait, may sakit ba si LA Lopez?

Non-Member
    So special kids describes any kid with special need. How can you differentiate from one who's with autism and the other one with a down syndrome? Whats wrong with a noun? Thats what nouns are for. It cant also be politically correct if you start calling people or persons with an adjective.
    We dont differentiate. Special children is a general term for mentally , genetically challenged kids. Admit it or not, autism/autistic has a negative connotation than calling a person diabetic. They are too far different for you to compare. Anyway, call them as you would like to, you are not in a medical profession right? So suit yourself.

Calling "*****" or "autisic" is an offensive term for those who suffer under mild autism. Kaya you guys should watch your words.

Marami types of Autism disorder. My mga gifted, talented, hyperactive, delay etc.

Uhhh, sa yaman nila. i think they could afford hiring occupational therapist.
    autism is actually under the pervasive developmental disorder
    (which includes PDD-not otherwise specified, autism spectrum disorder, asperger, rett syndrome and child disintegrative disorder).

Dev'l pediatricians usually diagnosed a child based on his/her delays in different developmental areas (cognitive, social skills, gross motor, fine motor, language and communication , self-care skills)..

rumors circulating before said that Josh was actually diagnosed with autism by most well-known dev pediatricians in the country, but kris could not accept the label 'autism' to her son that's why she asked for another dev ped's professional opinion, that dev ped diagnosed josh with ADHD, thus everytime she talks about him on tv, she always say my son has ADHD, and not autism...

gifted autistics in a certain area (like playing instruments, or certain crafts) tawag dun ay 'splinter skills'; if ang batang may autism ay nakakitaan ng ganitong galing sa isang larangan, mas magandang i-encourage or i-train ang bata, he/she can be autistic pero pwede pa rin silang magkaron ng sari-sarili nilang career sa future.

You miss the point.

Referring Children with Autism as Autistic Kid is a different scenario from person with diabetes calling as diabetic.

[spoiler start] If I may ask, are you even a doctor or a therapist by any chance? Cause I think you should read first your PT/OT Code of Ethics book, might as well check out the Medical Code of Ethics.

Well, just in case you don't know what I am talking about.
    [/spoiler end]
    i dont think the parents/or the child would even know what the more appropriate/politically correct term is. hindi naman nagbabasa yan ng PT/OT Code of Ethics... it depends kung pano mo gamitin ang term ng hindi nakaka-offend... when i talk to parents, i rarely say children with autism, ang haba-haba masyado at masyadong pormal... i dont dwell on technicalities of terms/names... focus on the pt's needs, the parents concerns, and set doable goals..yun ang mas importante sa mga magulang..

You miss the point.

[spoiler]If I may ask, are you even a doctor or a therapist by any chance? Cause I think you should read first your PT/OT Code of Ethics book, might as well check out the Medical Code of Ethics.

Well, just in case you don't know what I am talking about. [spoiler]
    PTs/OTs can call them "children with autism". We'll stick to calling them "autistic" children. Thank you.

So Josh is autistic. Everybody just has to live with it.

Banned by Admin
    bakit ba kasi maraming OA, I don't see anything wrong calling Josh "autistic"...e totoo naman eh..what's the big fuzz anyway?

Whether we use medical or derogatory terms associated with these psychological disorders, a discriminating person will always discriminate even if he does use correct medical terms, and a compassionate person will still care even if he is unaware of the correct term to use to these children.

Teachers at SpEd changed the term MENTALLY RETARDED to MENTALLY CHALLENGED and the DISABLED to DIFFERENTLY-ABLE. But this won't change the treatment one gives to these special children.

My point is, call Josh an autistic for as long as you are not speaking in degradation, and you're talking to people whom you're not offending.

I have a brother who is a special child and it breaks my heart if one calls him abnormal or retarded. Maybe, after all, it will be an issue of sensitivity not only towards the special children, but even to the family members as well.

Here's my take on OTT political correctness...

If the term connotes a negative aspect, people don't want to be associated to it. People don't want to be labeled because of their defects like "kirat" or "ngongo". Several years ago, it became offensive to call somebody lame, so you should use "handicapped". Now, "handicapped" is offensive and you should use "physically challenged".

That's why blacks don't like being called blacks...they're "Afro Americans". But decades ago, 'black" was a more politically correct term to use instead of "neegrow". Who knows, "Afro-American" will be offensive a few years from now.

Unfortunately, once they change their labels, their defects get associated with their new labels and in time they find the labels offensive and have to rename themselves all over again.

Banned by Admin
    even using abnormal for me is not derogatory, it's a word to describe things that are "not normal". while "*****" is just a slang for abnormal.

well, it is not socially accepted to use these terms. but in reality there is nothing wrong really, I mean it's just we over analyzed things sometimes.

what's the tagalog for "autistic" then?

^
    For some reason, if you use the vernacular (tagalog), it becomes doubly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmine22 View Post
    We dont differentiate. Special children is a general term for mentally , genetically challenged kids. Admit it or not, autism/autistic has a negative connotation than calling a person diabetic. They are too far different for you to compare. Anyway, call them as you would like to, you are not in a medical profession right? So suit yourself.
    Well, since thats their medical condition then I dont see anything wrong calling a person with autism an autistic. As how far is the difference that you are talking about is I cannot discern it. Calling somebody with down syndrome as a Mongoloid is offensive not just to the person but for those Mongolians also. A person with diabetes is a diabetic a person with autism is autistic, a physically challenge person is paraplegic. Check all the dictionary you can find and Autistic is not derogatory, slang or a colloquialisms. If you will associate it with being ***** or retard then you're turning a perfectly politically correct term into something else. Truth is, there is no bad words, It's the intent to use such words. George Carlin is rolling in his grave..

Slumdog Billionaire akosilester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    even using abnormal for me is not derogatory, it's a word to describe things that are "not normal". while "*****" is just a slang for abnormal.

well, it is not socially accepted to use these terms. but in reality there is nothing wrong really, I mean it's just we over analyzed things sometimes.

what's the tagalog for "autistic" then?
    may sariling mundo?

i never knew that "autistic" is derogatory, & i don't think it is...
    it's a direct adjective for a person with autism...
    well, it depends on how one uses it to pertain to anther person, i guess...
    & how one accepts the condition of their loved one...
    it seems to me that people who get too sensitive & anal about this political correctness are, in some way, still in denial stage.

calling someone autistic seems ok for me.

but how about calling out somene as retarded or retardate or a "retard" for that matter?

kinda offensive?

parang di ba.

^
    offensive to whom? To the retard? He is born with mental retardation right?

All these changing labels I mentioned in my previous post I didn't realize, is a previously discussed phenomenon called "euphemism treadmill" or "pejoration" (Semantic change).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemi...m_treadmill.22

Excerpt:
    Connotations easily change over time. "Idiot", "imbecile", and "moron" were once neutral terms for a developmentally delayed adult of toddler, preschool, and primary school mental ages, respectively.[4] As with Gresham's law, negative connotations tend to crowd out neutral ones, so the phrase mentally retarded was pressed into service to replace them.[5] Now that, too, is considered rude, used commonly as an insult of a person, thing, or idea. As a result, new terms like "mentally challenged", "with an intellectual disability", "learning difficulties" and "special needs" have replaced "retarded". A similar progression occurred with:

lame → crippled → handicapped → disabled → physically challenged → differently abled

although in the case of "crippled" the meaning has also broadened (and hence has been narrowed with adjectives, which themselves have been euphemised); a dyslexic or colorblind person, for example, would not be termed "crippled". Even more recent is the use of person-centric phrases, such as "person(s) with disability, dyslexia, colorblindness, etc.", which ascribe a particular condition to those previously qualified with the aforementioned adjectives.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast