suspended daw for 5 days dahil basher sa asianovelas thread
Join now and get a chance to win advanced screening tickets to The Hangover 3!read more
Summer seems to be ending, but the feeling doesn't have to end. Check out this list for awesome road-trip getaways!read more
Twelve of the best brains across Asia compete to be hired in the ultimate job interview in The Apprentice Asiaread more
The NU Lady Bulldogs outlast the AdU Lady Falcons in 4 sets, taking their first trip to the Shakey's V-league finals.read more
Guess the theme! Have you seen Twilight, Sister Act and these other movies? Share your thoughts and reviews in here!read more
suspended daw for 5 days dahil basher sa asianovelas thread
from 915bhunter of SSC
thanks for posting some pictures!
DOST: 40 donated PNR coaches need repair
By Tarra Quismundo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
10:50 pm | Thursday, June 14th, 2012
The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) will be providing a much-needed boost to the country’s railway fleet by repairing 40 coaches donated from abroad that had long been kept in storage.
Science Secretary Mario Montejo said Thursday that the DOST would use a locally developed technology in refurbishing the coaches from China and Korea.
“We are now developing technology for the trains. The main problem is the motor so we will retrofit the coaches, install a drive system and motor,” Montejo told reporters.
According to him, the DOST will initially fix one train set composed of three coaches and see how the drive system performs.
Once repaired, the additional coaches would complement the fleet of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) which now offers daily trips from Metro Manila to the Bicol region aside from the regular Tutuban to Alabang route and vice versa.
The PNR project is just one of the DOST’s mass transit improvement efforts, including a monorail project at the University of the Philippines (UP).
A 500-meter-long prototype of the elevated UP monorail is expected to start operations in December, just in time for the university’s annual Lantern Parade.
Great project. Sana masundan pa.
heto pala yung pic ng tricycle sa may iriga city
Medyo nakaka-inis na ren yung mga driver na di marunong dumiskarte sa pagmamaneho at di na alam ang Stop, Look, & Listen. Wala dapat i-apologize yung driver ng train na naka-aksidente sa Iriga City kasi yung trike driver pinilit pa yung sasakyan niya. Siguro naman ay automatic na yung Stop, Look, & Listen pag malapit ka na sa riles. Sakit pa sa ulo yung mga nagnanakaw ng mga warning signs.
Nakita ko ito sa program na Byaheng Bulilit sa ch23 last weekend. Pina-ayos na yung building at ginawang museum. Kung tama pagkakarinig ko ay local gov't ng Pamgpanga at nag-renovate ng building.
Ganda ah, parang MRT lang.
Heavy rain floods low-lying streets in Metro Manila, some classes canceled
July 3, 2012 7:20am
Heavy rain since early Tuesday has flooded some roads in Metro Manila, making these impassable to light vehicles.
In Parañaque City, Mayor Florencio Bernabe Jr. suspended classes in the elementary and high school levels, citing the threat of floods and high tide at 9 a.m.
"Sa buong Parañaque na po, private and public walang pasok pwera college. Prevention na," Bernabe said in an interview on dzBB radio.
He said that aside from the floods, the high tide was due at 9 a.m. He also noted the rain had been continuous since Monday night.
Bernabe said his worry was that students may have problems getting home later in the day.
A separate report on dzBB said classes were suspended in some schools in Valenzuela City.
Mayor Dominic Ilagan also announced the suspension of afternoon classes in Cainta from preschool to high school in public and private schools. Classes in the morning were also suspended, said a report on dzBB.
The Manila city government, meanwhile, announced the suspension of afternoon classes in public schools up to high school.
The order covered classes starting at noon in public elementary and high schools in the city, radio dzBB's Carlo Mateo reported.
Earlier Tuesday, Mayor Alfredo Lim had left to parents to decide whether to allow their children to go to school amid the rain and flooding.
But the dzBB report said the office of the city administrator decided to suspend classes after noting the continued heavy rain in the city.
Pasay City also suspended classes in public and private schools up to high school.
Navotas City has announced classes in all levels in public schools are suspended.
The Department of Education relayed the decision of the two local governments to netizens in posts on its Twitter account.
DepEd said Pasay City suspended public and private classes up to high school.
In a separate post, it said Navotas similarly suspended classes up to the high school level.
San Juan City and Las Piñas City also announced the suspension of afternoon classes for public and private schools, from pre-school to high school.
Meanwhile, Makati City advised classes are suspended in all levels in Barangays San Antonio, Pio del Pilar, Singkamas, Sta. Cruz and La Paz.
A separate report by dzBB's Glen Juego said afternoon classes for public and private schools from preschool to high school were also suspended in Mandaluyong and Marikina Cities.
Classes have also been suspended in Bacoor, Cavite (afternoon classes in all public and private schools), Taguig City and Pasig City (elementary to high school in both public and private schools).
A tweet by GMA News' Tina Panganiban Perez said all afternoon classes in Quezon City (elementary and high school for both public and private schools) are suspended.
Caloocan Mayor Recom Echiverri announced the suspension of classes for all levels in public and private schools in Caloocan on dzBB.
Muntinlupa Public Information Officer Omar Acosta announced the suspension of classes for all levels in public and private schools in Muntinlupa.
Mayor Orencio Gabriel announced the suspension of all classes in public and private schools from elementary to high school levels in Obando, Bulacan.
Many schools have already suspended classes.
Waist-high flooding in Quiapo underpass
In Manila, flooding in some areas such as the Quiapo underpass was waist-high, according to a report by radio dzBB's Carlo Mateo.
Only buses and large vehicles could pass through the underpass while drivers of smaller vehicles like jeeps and taxis backed off.
Also flooded were areas like United Nations Avenue and Padre Burgos Street, the report said.
However, dzBB quoted the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority as saying the floods in most areas had already subsided as of 3 a.m.
On the other hand, the Philippine National Railways said portions of its Sucat and Alabang stations were flooded, but said trains from Bicol arrived in Tutuban Monday night.
Along Taft Avenue, traffic slowed as tricycles picked up passengers in the middle of the road.
A report by dzBB's Allan Gatus also said floods were impassable to smaller vehicles along portions of Araneta Avenue near Maria Clara Street and Quezon Avenue.
PAGASA issued a yellow warning signal at 6:20 a.m., noting 10.2 mm of rainfall in Tanay in Rizal; 4 mm at Sangley Point in Cavite; 5 mm at Science Garden, Quezon City; and 3 mm at Port Area, Manila.
It said this is "most likely to continue for the next hour."
PAGASA warned of flooding in low-lying areas and those located near the river channels.
Under the heavy rainfall warning system, a yellow warning indicates an expected rainfall of 7.5 mm to 15 mm within one hour.
Communities under this advisory are advised to be aware of the weather conditions and warned that flooding may occur in low-lying areas. –HS/KG/RSJ, GMA News
Police: 2 drunk men dragged, killed by train in Bicol
July 6, 2012 11:46am
They didn't know what hit them.
Two men who fell asleep on the railroad tracks after taking part in a drinking spree were killed after they were hit and dragged by a Philippine National Railways train in Ragay town in Camarines Sur province before dawn Friday.
Police said the two had just come from a drinking spree when they decided to take a nap along the cool railroad tracks in Agrupacion village.
"Hindi sila nakauwi, nagpahinga sa riles, doon nakatulog at doon nabangga ng tren," PO2 Roberto Ferrer of the Ragay police said in an interview on dzBB radio.
Citing initial reports from local village officials, Ferrer told radio dzBB the two may have felt comfortable lying on the railroad because the metal tracks felt cool.
He identified the two victims as Jefrey Carpo, 22; and Kenny Gatudan, 23. He said the incident occurred at about 3:30 a.m. Friday.
An initial investigation also showed the train was heading for Bicol from Manila at the time it hit the two sleeping men.
Ferrer said the site of the incident was not even a crossing as it was near a residential area.
"Hindi ito crossing kasi residential area," he said.
For their part, PNR’s media relations officer Paul de Quiros said in an interview over GMA News TV’s “Balitanghali” that the driver immediately hit the break when he saw the sleeping vicitms on the rail tracks.
“They were all dressed in dark colors so mahirap mo talagang makita iyon doon tapos grassy pa 'yung area... madamu-damo 'yung area dun. So nung nag-apply ng breaks ‘yung driver inbautan pa rin sila,” De Quiros said.
“Dapat wala talagang natutulog dun sa gitna ng riles,” he stressed.
De Quiros said the driver has been suspended. “Basta involve sa accident [ang] isang train, ‘yung driver may immediate preventive suspension.”
He said the PNR management is likewise investigating the incident.
“Nagco-conduct din ang PNR ng sarli naming [imbestigasyon]. Kailangan din naming malaman kung may pagkakamali kami sa part namin…Sa investigation namin, wala naman talaga [kaming nakikitang pagkakamali namin].”
De Quiros noted that the police were also looking if there was foul play in the incident.
“They are investigating sa possibility na baka may foul play dun. Baka inilagay lang dun para sa pagdaan ng tren [ay masagasaan sila].There is also that angle,” he said, immediately adding that there were no ropes found within the accident area.
“We really have to aggressively coordinate with the LGUs to barangays para masafeguard 'yung mga [residenteng nakatira sa gilid ng tren] at 'yung passengers din naming,” he added.
On June 22, five people were killed when a PNR train hit a tricycle in Iriga City also in Camarines Sur province. PNR operation manager Constancio Toledano said the train, with 70 passengers, came from Metro Manila and was bound for Ligao City.
A week after the accident, a drunk man was hit by another PNR train in Sipocot town of the same province. — with Rouchelle Dinglasan/RSJ, GMA News
Pangit parin ng PNR... Masgusto ko ng steam locomotive para tipid sa kuryente!
Passengers irked as train stalls in Manila
July 9, 2012 9:40am
Several rush-hour passengers were inconvenienced early on Monday after a Philippine National Railways (PNR) train heading from Manila to Alabang stalled in the Santa Mesa district.
In an interview over radio dzBB, PNR spokesman Paul de Quiros said the train had a "technical problem" and that they are investigating the incident.
"Operational kami ngayon ... Hindi ko alam kung may lapse, mag-iimbestiga kami," De Quiros said.
A female passenger said the train, which was already delayed in leaving the Tutuban station for Alabang, stopped at Santa Mesa for more than 30 minutes.
In a separate interview over radio dzBB, the passenger, who refused to give her name, said the train was supposed to leave as early as 7:35 a.m. but left Tutuban at 8:05 a.m.
"Pagdating ng Santa Mesa, huminto siya at nagbaba ng pasahero. Kaya lang hindi na umandar, kinulong kami 30 minutes," she said. - VVP, GMA News
Anyare sa PNR kaninang umaga? Dami daw naabala ah. Tsk.