PEx Highlights

MOVIE REVIEW: Talk Back and You're Dead

It may not the type of movie that can explain the deeper meaning of life, but it's the movie that can melt your heart.

read more

PHOTOS: FEU Clobbers UST

Roger Pogoy scored a career-high 19 points and grabbed 5 rebounds, carrying the FEU Tamaraws to victory over the UST Growling Tigers, 66-55.

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno

Perfectly choreographed fight scenes and compelling execution makes "Kyoto Inferno" the perfect bridge to "Legend Ends."

read more

PROMO: If I Stay

Join the If I Stay promo and win advance screening tickets!

read more

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 6

The power rankings are back! We talk about the top dogs, the lovable losers and Kyle Neypes' recent transformation.

read more

FEATURE: The 1986 FIBA World Championship

How would the 1986 Philippine national team have fared had it gone to Spain in the 1986 FIBA World Championship?

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DR. ROBIN NAVARRO -Cholesterol is Good

Have you heard of a Dr. Robin Navarro? Just listened to him DZBB (Manolo Favis) radio show.

His views are radical or realistic?

Here is some of his views and clinical trials

!. Salt is good for High Blood
    2. Eggs and Animal Fat with Coleen is good for heart attack and stroke patients. Some good foods are Bulalo and Full Cream Milk
    3. US and the Philippines follow the low cholesterol diet but have the highest incidence of heart disease and stroke. Japan biggest consumer of eggs have the lowest heart disease problems.
    4. Infant formula milk is dangerous for babies - breast milk is still the best.

Guys you have to listen to him. His finding is amazings backed up by his studies. That is every Monday 11pm DZBB.

Please give your comments.

Medical News That Matters

Second Opinion™

By Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld

It’s OK To Eat Eggs—Enjoy!

For more than 30 years, I’ve been telling my heart patients—and anyone who was vulnerable to cardiac disease and hardening of the arteries—to avoid eating eggs. In so doing, I was following the advice of the medical establishment and nutritional scientists. Their logic was that, since the plaques that narrow arteries in the heart, brain and elsewhere contain cholesterol, it made sense to avoid cholesterol-rich foods. One egg contains 212mg of cholesterol. That’s a lot—especially considering that the daily upper limit of cholesterol consumption is just 300mg a day.

However, now we’ve learned that the cholesterol we eat has very little effect on its level in the blood. What’s more important is how much saturated fats and trans-fatty acids we consume. (Eggs may have taken a bad rap because of the other foods people eat with them, such as sausages, ham, butter and margarine.) So doctors are rethinking their advice about not eating eggs.

Recent data obtained from long-term studies of dietary habits in more than 100,000 men and women have shown that one egg a day has no effect on the future development of cardiovascular disease in healthy men and women. (For diabetics, however, it can increase the risk of heart disease.)

Here’s what I tell my patients: If you are healthy and your cholesterol level is normal, eat as many eggs as you like. However, reduce your intake of saturated fats (bacon, red meat, whole milk and other dairy products) and avoid the trans-fatty acids in junk foods, fried foods and potato chips. Eggs are one of the healthiest foods you can eat.

If you visit his website, mapapa exercise ka sa music ng website niya. Thereby reducing your risk of a heart attack...

http://www.rpconnect.com/drnavarro/index.html

ewan ko ba sa mga doctor na 'to. Parang naghuhula na lang sila eh.

I'm no doctor but I'd like to share my observation.

I'm here in Seoul and eggs are consumed on a daily basis. Wala atang araw na walang itlog na kasama sa mga foods namin.

For those who have met Koreans or have stayed in Korea would know that Koreans are really healthy.

Coincidence? Maybe, kasi health conscious talaga sila. Still, they love eggs.

Doc Robin says you must eat 4 to 6 eggs a day - kasama ang yolk or pula. He also gives out numbers of all his patients who are stage 4 cancer na gumaling under his diet of eggs, BULALO, whey milk and animal meat and fat. Even mga may liver cirosis gumaling talaga and they give out the LANDLINES of this patients. The patients all were rejects of St. Lukes PGH etc but all are now doing great.

Guys you better listen this Monday 11PM kay Don Manolo - its crazy!!! but i think this Doctor talks a lot of sense. What else there are doctors before him challenging the American Heart Association but failed because AHA is backed up by the giants - the big pharma companies.

Ngayon hindi na ako takot kumain ng itlog!

merong poultry farm sa Bulacan na nag proproduce ng Omega 3 enriched eggs sa mga supermarkets like Rustans.

http://www.eggs.ca/AllAboutEggs/FAQ_...attyAcids.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jay372011 View Post
    FYI, there is nothing new about this comment. Any medical student/doctor would know that breastmilk > any milk there is.

For the other points, wow that's good to know.

Business Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sanpo View Post
    FYI, there is nothing new about this comment. Any medical student/doctor would know that breastmilk > any milk there is.

For the other points, wow that's good to know.
    Can't beat the packaging eh?

Mamya na po 11pm sa DZBB show ni Manolo Favis - this doctor blows my mind away!

Papichulo168 thanks sa links! Ano ba comment mo sa kanya?

Asin is good for high blood! - Di ko kinaya ang statement na ito! What is COLLEEN anyway?

amishuuu
    Have you heard of a Dr. Robin Navarro?
    no

Salt is good for High Blood
    the correct statement would probably have been SALT IS NOT ALWAYS BAD FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE only in some types...

Eggs and Animal Fat with Coleen is good for heart attack and stroke patients. Some good foods are Bulalo and Full Cream Milk
    if infant formula is bad... thn full cream milk is no better for adults right? perhaps it just means... u can't eat animal protein without the animal fat... and animal protein is good for u...

raw eggs yolks are good... coz i read the it's the cooked one that is oxiddized and it is the oxidized form that clogs the arteries... we actually need around 400 mg cholesterol and an egg contain 200-300mg...

US and the Philippines follow the low cholesterol diet but have the highest incidence of heart disease and stroke. Japan biggest consumer of eggs have the lowest heart disease problems.
    parang inconclusive... japan has a better diet on the whole... sushi sashimi

Please give your comments.
    AGREE ako dito... i do agree that infant formula to infant is what commercial feedlot is to chickens...human babies should not be ""battery farmed""...

papichulo168, do you know wer his clinic located?

Thanks po sa mga inputs!

Clinic is located at Cityland tower near Shang Plaza shaw blvd.

Other "crazy" things he discussed
    1. Salt - rock salt is good for high blood pressure.
    2. Diabetics can eat all the fruits they want because if you do not eat fruits you will go blind, amputated and have all those stuff related to diabetic disease.
    3. Replace all your cooking oil with butter. Yes fry with butter. Corn oil, canola oil and other oils is bad.
    4. Sugar and carbo is not that good for your body. Trans fat is the worst fat your body can take.

Habang tumatagal po, lalo akong naniniwala sa doctor na ito, because the way he discuss things is really something!

Again what is COLEEN?

Other "crazy" things he discussed
    Its basic knowledge that sodium attracts water. Thus the more salt you consume, the more your body will retain water. Increased water retention in hypertensive patients may worsen their condition because it may lead to a further increase in blood pressure.

Yes, salt is essential in life. But labeling it "good" for hypertensive patients can be very misleading.

2. Diabetics can eat all the fruits they want because if you do not eat fruits you will go blind, amputated and have all those stuff related to diabetic disease.
    The key principle in diabetes is controlling your blood sugar level. Again, it is very misleading to advice to a diabetic patient that he "can eat all the fruits they want". Fruits, like any other food, gets converted into sugar after digestion. Blood sugar, if uncontrolled, may cause Blindness (due to damage to the nerves in your eyes because of increased pressure) and Amputation (because of poor blood circulation, since the blood is too "thick" from all the sugar).

Kraven are you familiar with the "war" between the American Heart Association and the American Medical Association kasi yun parati ang basis niya re the eggs, butter, cheese etc.

Yung sa diabetic naman he mentioned about fructose na galing sa fruits ay iba sa simple sugar like white sugar na labeled niya na very bad.

I hope you can listen to him sa radio para makapag share ka pa. You can ask questions too sa text. Kasi marami talaga ang sinasabi niya na kahit ako very contradicting sa lahat ng nabasa at naipayo sa akin ng mga doctors ko internist, diabetologist etc etc.

3. US and the Philippines follow the low cholesterol diet but have the highest incidence of heart disease and stroke. Japan biggest consumer of eggs have the lowest heart disease problems.
    hindi rin ako palakain ng itlog noon dahil unhealthy daw pero nung nandito na ako sa japan, nagbago yun. Japanese love fresh eggs on their hot steaming rice.

amishuuu
    Yung sa diabetic naman he mentioned about fructose na galing sa fruits ay iba sa simple sugar like white sugar na labeled niya na very bad..
    i don't agree on this one. the ability of the liver to convert fructose to glucose is around 4grams per hour i think. too much fructose will actually lead to weakness because it disrupts oxidation pathway. when fructose occurs in the body at very high levels.. it is 10x more reducing than glucose...

so one cannot eat fruits ""as much as they like"". personal experience... once iv tried all-fruit diet and dang i became so weak and im not even diabetic.

my diabetic grandma do not eat fruits but her blood sugar is properly controlled at 110-150... with only 7 units of insulin a day and she eats 1.5 cups rice a day. when we initially took her home her blood sugar was spiking up to 300.

amishuuu
    Thanks po sa mga inputs!
    i doubt this one. one of the causes of high blood pressure is high aldosterone levels... and the action of that hormone is salt accumulation.

also... the most common cause of high blood pressure in modern man is atherosclerosis... it is salt independent.

DIET and EXERCISE is what's good for high blood pressure not salt because these supposedly reverse atherosclerosis.

3. Replace all your cooking oil with butter. Yes fry with butter. Corn oil, canola oil and other oils is bad.
    4. Sugar and carbo is not that good for your body. Trans fat is the worst fat your body can take.
    yes corn, canola are really really bad oils especially when they are heated.

sugar and carbo indeed are bad for the body. actually to maintain health one must only eat not more than 1g of carbo per lbs of lean body mass a day. u can be 115 lbs but ur lean mass can only be 90lbs. that's around 2cups of rice a day. to avoid ketosis... u need at least around 0.5 to 0.6 g per lean mass in lbs.

How come corn oil and canola are bad eh walang saturated fat ang mga iyon?

dang sayang nawala sa isip ko makinig kagabi! last week ko pang gusto makinig nito but I totally forgot..

totally agree w/ the cholesterol thing..

Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    How come corn oil and canola are bad eh walang saturated fat ang mga iyon?
    sa canola, something to do w/ the processing. it's over-exposed to high-heat, plus the most of its omega-3's are turned into trans fat. it's one of the most overrated oils out there.

olive oil is the sh*t. make that extra virgin. mac nut oil too. coconut pwede din. kaso, mahal nga lang ng mga to!

Re: cooking oil , uhmm, I dunno. If it were me I'd ask a nutritionist/dietitian. They would know, I think.

From mayoclinic.com

Question
    Canola oil: Does it contain toxins?
    I read an article on the Internet that said canola oil contains toxins that are harmful to humans. Is this true?
    Answer

Health concerns about canola oil that are being circulated on the Internet are unfounded.

Misinformation about the safety of canola oil may stem from the fact that, years ago, oil was produced from the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels 30 percent to 60 percent of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. The canola plant was developed by natural cross-breeding from the rapeseed plant in the early 1970s. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants.

Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), canola oil contains erucic acid levels in the range of 0.3 percent to 1.2 percent. This is well below the 2 percent limit set by the FDA.

Canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat. So, it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils.
    Question
    Olive oil: What are the health benefits?
    What are the health benefits of olive oil? Is extra-virgin oil better than regular olive oil?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

When cooking with fats, olive oil is a healthy choice. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat, which can lower your risk of heart disease by reducing the total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels in your blood.

In contrast, saturated and trans fats such as butter, tropical oils and hydrogenated margarines increase your risk of heart disease by increasing your total and LDL cholesterol levels.

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), consuming about 2 tablespoons (23 grams) of olive oil a day may reduce your risk of heart disease. You can get the most benefit by substituting olive oil for saturated fats rather than just adding more olive oil to your diet.

All types of olive oil provide monounsaturated fat, but "extra-virgin" or "virgin" olive oils are the least processed forms. As a result, they contain the highest levels of polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant.
    You folks may want to read this : Cholesterol: The top 5 foods to lower your numbers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast