PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Purefoods Survive Kia Scare

After trailing for most of the game, Purefoods mounted a big fourth quarter-comeback to defeat Manny Pacquiao's Kia Sorento, 88-77.

read more

5 Biggest Impressions in UAAP Volleyball

An even better Alyssa Valdez, the struggling Lady Bulldogs and UST's wonderkid. Find out other big impressions in week 1 of UAAP Volleyball here!

read more

PHOTOS: Paul Lee Saves the Day for RoS

Paul Lee nailed a crucial three-pointer plus two pressure packed free throws to lead his team to victory over the NLEX Road Warriors, 95-93.

read more

Show Me Your EDM Teeths!

In this week's episode of SMYT, Chelsey and Merly poke fun at artistas who may have gone too far by releasing albums to boost their careers.

read more

REVIEW: Horrible Bosses 2

Horrible Bosses 2 carried its hilarity from the first movie and showed good comedic chemistry of its three lead actors.

read more

REVIEW: Penguins of Madagascar

Our adult/kiddie review is back! This time, Jollo and Aidan share their thoughts on the sly and slick Penguins of Madagascar.

read more

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Smile Question about DLSU & Changing Courses

    Hi!

    I'm a new member here, and i can't believe i hadn't found this forum until now!

    Anyways, i'm graduating HS in a month and will be heading to DLSU for college. I passed La Salle with my first choice, and was one of the top scorers (there was a ID thing that said so in my acceptance letter).

    Problem is, i don't like my first choice and i'm feeling quite uneasy about doing it. I really would like to become a doctor, or at least study science.

    So i went to DLSU and applied to change my course, and i swapped from my course (ECM-MFI) to human biology (HUM-BIO). I was told at the admissions office that my change of course would be accommodated based on spare slots & my performance on the entrance exam.

    I have heard that human biology is a hard course to get into and is usually full. I'm not really sure if i have a chance of changing, and this bothers me alot. I'm quite confident with my entrance exam score because i was told i was in the top 10% of examinees but i'm not sure if there will be any spare slots for me in hum-bio.

    Can anyone shed some light if i have a decent chance of changing courses? Does having a high test result improve my chances by a significant amount?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykii View Post
    Hi!

    I'm a new member here, and i can't believe i hadn't found this forum until now!

    Anyways, i'm graduating HS in a month and will be heading to DLSU for college. I passed La Salle with my first choice, and was one of the top scorers (there was a ID thing that said so in my acceptance letter).

    Problem is, i don't like my first choice and i'm feeling quite uneasy about doing it. I really would like to become a doctor, or at least study science.

    So i went to DLSU and applied to change my course, and i swapped from my course (ECM-MFI) to human biology (HUM-BIO). I was told at the admissions office that my change of course would be accommodated based on spare slots & my performance on the entrance exam.

    I have heard that human biology is a hard course to get into and is usually full. I'm not really sure if i have a chance of changing, and this bothers me alot. I'm quite confident with my entrance exam score because i was told i was in the top 10% of examinees but i'm not sure if there will be any spare slots for me in hum-bio.

    Can anyone shed some light if i have a decent chance of changing courses? Does having a high test result improve my chances by a significant amount?

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi! I am not sure where you got the info about the hum-bio course as difficult to get in. Have to verify this info. I am not saying it is not true but I just like to advise you on making sure you get the right info. So far, I have not heard it to be a "quota course" unlike Accountancy and Engineering courses.

    But my personal thought is that it is not that difficult to get in unless they do have limited the allotted slots but it is difficult to "stay" in that course because from the looks of it...it is not easy.

    My advice is to get in touch with the Biology Department and inquire how many classes they open for freshmen there and what are your chances of getting in as a "shiftee". They might be able to give you some enlightenment too.

    Nonetheless, your current course of ECM-MFI is not bad at all.

    And having a high score gives you an immediate edge.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykii View Post
    Hi!

    I'm a new member here, and i can't believe i hadn't found this forum until now!

    Anyways, i'm graduating HS in a month and will be heading to DLSU for college. I passed La Salle with my first choice, and was one of the top scorers (there was a ID thing that said so in my acceptance letter).

    Problem is, i don't like my first choice and i'm feeling quite uneasy about doing it. I really would like to become a doctor, or at least study science.

    So i went to DLSU and applied to change my course, and i swapped from my course (ECM-MFI) to human biology (HUM-BIO). I was told at the admissions office that my change of course would be accommodated based on spare slots & my performance on the entrance exam.

    I have heard that human biology is a hard course to get into and is usually full. I'm not really sure if i have a chance of changing, and this bothers me alot. I'm quite confident with my entrance exam score because i was told i was in the top 10% of examinees but i'm not sure if there will be any spare slots for me in hum-bio.

    Can anyone shed some light if i have a decent chance of changing courses? Does having a high test result improve my chances by a significant amount?

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi Mykii,

    The thing about these entrance exams is that they base it in your average score first and your choices next. Since you placed ECM-MFI in your application as your first choice, you're reserved for that degree and [presumably] not for your other choices.

    Nonetheless I can tell you that it is possible to move to HUM-BIO, but it really depends if the people accepted to the program don't avail of their slots.

    Hope it helps!

    Sir Anson,

    How's our modular program nowadays?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
    Hi Mykii,

    The thing about these entrance exams is that they base it in your average score first and your choices next. Since you placed ECM-MFI in your application as your first choice, you're reserved for that degree and [presumably] not for your other choices.

    Nonetheless I can tell you that it is possible to move to HUM-BIO, but it really depends if the people accepted to the program don't avail of their slots.

    Hope it helps!

    Sir Anson,

    How's our modular program nowadays?
    Hi Big Boss,

    The modular program is still undergoing continuous improvement. Definitely much better than the initial offering hehehe

    Am currently handling a cool class of 6 students hahaha aint that a welcome break from a class of 70?

  5. #5
    Thanks Ansonkeh and Big_Boss, your posts helped clear up some of my initial thoughts.

    I thank both of you for your time to read, and reply, to my post.

    Ansonkeh:

    I don't have a problem with ECM-MFI, infact, i think it's a very good course when it comes to courses available within commerce. It is in fact the course i was aiming and hoping to get into for a long time.

    Problem is this, for the longest time, i wanted to study science. I'm talking for years, since i was 15 (and i'm 19 now). I only changed my mind to apply for finance & economics when i had the DLSU application in front of me and it was a decision based more on instinct. I was cool with it too, up until about 4 months ago when my father suffered from a heart attack and almost died. It was somewhat of a turning point, where i decided that i wanted to help people and to take up science / medicine if given the chance.

    I hope that clears up some of the missing details as well as provide my intent in wanting to study science .

    We had some DLSU students come to our school, and one of my classmates is wait-listed for human biology so he asked the students if he has any real chance of getting into the course. The students said he has a chance, however, it was a popular course and that very few people pass. This, along with transcripts from other forums, is what made me base my opinion that it is a difficult course to get into. I read somewhere that it was a quota course, however, with that being said i have no idea if that is factual.

    When i went to admissions to apply for my change of course; the only information they gave me was that they would release on April 20 if my change of course was accommodated. I know that enrollment/reservation of slots occurs up until April 7. I'm not sure what wait-listed applicants have to do.

    Hence, I'm looking at my chances with very grim eyes.

    It's just I really regret not putting down science as my first choice on my application form. I will definitely follow up on your advice when i get the time to call the Biology department. Thanks for that, I'm sure it will help.

    Big_Boss,

    Your right. I am not allocated a slot for my second and third choices. I can tell you that with 100% confidence.

    Everything else you said is also correct.


    I guess overall my chances aren't too good ...

    If anyone knows anything else about Human-Bio, and my chances of changing into it, then please don't feel shy to share .

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonkeh View Post
    Hi Big Boss,

    The modular program is still undergoing continuous improvement. Definitely much better than the initial offering hehehe

    Am currently handling a cool class of 6 students hahaha aint that a welcome break from a class of 70?
    Wow that's some group of students! I mean it's definitely lower than the historical number of students who take mod4 during 3rd term. Nice nice.

  7. #7
    Just a question: Does anyone know when the result of the change of course request for AY 2013-2014 will be out?

  8. #8
    Wow. I didn't know you could request for a course change. Bummer.

    Anyway, how long do I have to wait before I can shift to another program?

    (The thing is, I had CommArts as my 1st and only choice on my application form, but DLSU wasn't able to provide a slot for me there, so yeah, I got redirected to DevStud.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Hot Topics

UAAP:

Ateneo and La Salle pick up wins vs Adamson and NU to go 2-0

Ateneo and La Salle pick up wins vs Adamson and NU to go 2-0

read more
PBA:

Purefoods douse Kia's upset bid, 88-77

Purefoods douse Kia's upset bid, 88-77

read more
SHOWBIZ:

Be Careful With My Heart ends tomorrow! Share your favorite memories in this thread.

Be Careful With My Heart ends tomorrow! Share your favorite memories in this thread.

read more
LOCAL AND FOREIGN ISSUES:

Mayor Erap to declare four-day holiday in Manila during Pope Francis' visit in the Philippines

Mayor Erap to declare four-day holiday in Manila during Pope Francis' visit in the Philippines

read more
PROMO:

Join the promo and get a chance to win block screening tickets to Past Tense!

Join the promo and get a chance to win block screening tickets to Past Tense!

read more
CALL CENTER:

What Christmas gift will you buy yourself this year?

What Christmas gift will you buy yourself this year?

read more
NMFtv:

Chieffy Caligdong reveals the real reason why he retired from the Philippine Azkals

Chieffy Caligdong reveals the real reason why he retired from the Philippine Azkals

read more