PEx Highlights

PROMO: Interstellar

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Interstellar!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying 2nd hand BMW

Hello everyone,

Just want to know your expert opinions if it's advisable to buy a 2nd hand BMW car, specifically yung 316i? I've been seeing around sa mga buy and sell sites na mejo affordable yung mga prices nung model year that ranges sa 95-99. 'Coz they say there "nothing to fix" or "good condition" is it really true and safe?What should I look out for? I'm planning to buy one in the near future and just want to make sure I get my money's worth and 2nd hand lang muna talaga kaya ko hehe. Thanks in advance on whatever advise you can share and appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

Heh.. upkeep of Bimmers are expensive.

it being second hand is one thing. pero maintenance costs mo e pareho padin dun sa first owner.

so your choice.

again, just make sure you're willing to spend the money for maintenance. and wala ka naman masyadong aalahanin.

yes maintenance costs of a premium brand is really a big concern for you to consider. i suggest you put in the numbers to be more informed. for instance, you can call bmw service stations on how much is the typical labor fee for the periodic 5,000 km maintenance (unless of course you just plan to bring it to your neighborhood mechanic).

additionally, you can scout the prices of bmw spare parts like timing belt, brake pads, etc. and compare them with the toyota/honda counterparts. that'll give you an idea how much more you really will cough up when the need arises. you can also check if there are at least surplus shops of bmw parts if you are not that particular.

lastly, make sure you bring a trusted and competent mechanic if and when you buy your 2nd hand car (bmw or not). 'nothing to fix' may just mean 'nothing visible to fix' to the untrained eye.

95-96? ano yan galing japan?

actually daming kumakalat ng mga 2nd hand bmw na 3 series from 1990 to 1996 na galing japan and converted.. actually di sa pilipinas..

Expect service to cost more than your average Jap 1600 but probably at par with a Toyota Crown, previous gen Accord and Cefiro. Things to look out for are the underchassis/suspension, cooling system and the a/c. The engine, as long as the previous owner followed the required maintenance schedule should be fine. Regular maintenance is roughly every 10,000kms (there's a service light that tells you when you're in for service) and it should not cost much; its the heavy repairs and major parts that may dent your wallet if ever.

Don't expect the 316i to be a sprinter but its a solid highway and mountain runner (very balanced car). Of course purists and elitists will scoff at it being a entry level model but heck, as long as you keep it clean and you're not arrogant then you should be fine. Try to find one from a first owner and don't rely on the dealership for parts and service. Try to scout around for a good repair shop; i know a lot of peeps buy their spare BMW parts at Basic in Libis. Shops like Autotechnika and Top Gear can do the service. Try to research, there's a local BMW club site as well although you might feel a bit out if you don't own a big gun model.

We used to have the E36 320i model and boy i loved that car.

The local E36 models we're sold from 1995 to 1998/99. Keep away from the Jap models. Expect price range at 280K to 500K depending on year, trim and condition.

i strongly suggest you visit the local bmw club forum. most members of these are very accomodating. also, you may visit various euro car clubs forums, dami rin tumatambay na bmw owners dun

for me, i'd like the idea of owning a euro compact, for the following reasons
    1. snob value of the bmw badge
    2. its not a common car (relative to your normal toyota or honda), pag lumingon ka sa traffic, you'd be hard pressed na makahanap ng katulad ng kotse mo

drawbacks, as mentioned by most other posters
    1. maintenance costs- i dont think there are much replacement parts for bmws, lalo na pag medyo may edad na. a small plus on this is that (as far as i know), euro cars' frequency of maintenance isnt the same as their jap counter parts, less frequent sila kelangan change oil, tune up etc. However, if you do, expect to pay for premium parts, im not sure kung pwede mineral oil or even semi-synthethic for bmws.
    2.reliability- questionable na sya since medyo may edad na, i consider cars beyond 5 years na may edad na, it may not be the best car to function as a daily driver, not unless of course alaga nung may-ari yung car, which is relatively more frequent than your ordinary jap car owner. and kung gagawin mo man sya daily driver, expect replacement of various components to happen, syempre replacement parts for a bmw aint cheap
    3.fuel consumption - 2.0 bmws fc is around 6-8km/liter, although what your considering is the 1.6, i expect the FC to be a bit the same or even a bit worse, since its a small engine driving a relatively heavy car (maraming insulation materials ang bmw)
    4.interior space- interior space in a 3 series is not that big. add to it pa medyo namamaga yung center console nya and there is a bulge on the rear floor (to accomodate the thing which drives the rear wheels), it would fit 4 people in comfort at best, 5 is a tight squeeze. driver interior space is almost the same as a sub compact

Thanks for your advises and opinions guys. I didn't know yung iba jap cars na converted lang? I hope I could also get some feedback from people here that bought a 2nd hand bimmer and tell us how is thier car doing so far. Is it still in good running condition? Have you replaced any parts already? Was every penny worth it? And yes I know entry level lang ang 316i but still it's a bimmer and I want to feel that ultimate driving experience.

Thanks.

"I hope I could also get some feedback from people here that bought a 2nd hand bimmer and tell us how is thier car doing so far. Is it still in good running condition?"

the answer to that question really depends on car to car basis diba?

impression: get an impression of the SELLER. if marami syang cars na MASBAGO dun sa 316 (especially if he has a REVO/ Innova), it means that car doesnt get much use. and it most probably gets taken good care off.

if you see 1 new other car lang. walang innova/ revo, that means that car has seen some serious mileage. and most probably, di rin naalagaan mabuti.

it's easy to just say pass.

maraming nagbebenta ng 316, btw. just look at your sunday classifieds (manila buletin)

it's obvious that you want this car and are excited to get it already. but also keep in mind, if you have the cash, worry not. dahil makukuha mo rin ang gusto mo at the end. so be patient is what i'm saying.

What to look for when buying a second hand BMW
    First of all check the cooling system of the car there must never be water in the cooling system but always cooling liquid green or blue.
    If the cooling system contains water do not buy the car no matter how great it looks!
    The reason is that the water pomp needs cooling liquid to run smooth with water the bearing will be damaged and small parts of the cooling [water pump will destroy tour engine.

The average service interval is around 15000km not 5000km! depending on your drive style the car will inform you through the service interval indicator when in need of service.

The 1600 is the lowest model and its called 1600 but is in fact a 1800cc engine 94model and above.
    Known problems of the 316 are Brake disk aligning if you brake softly your steering wheel will shake.
    Cardan and bearing sounds while riding slow be aware of noises like that very expensive!

The cylinder head of this type of car is also sensitive if the car has run hot and it is stopped right after a long ride it might have cylinder head or gasket damage this is because the cooling fan is not electric but driven by the engine.
    There should not be any colored smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
    Black smoke engine needs overhaul or car needs junk shop\
    Grey or white smoke by engine on normal operating temperature
    Cylinder head or main gaskets broken

just askin

if the 316 is really a 1.8, how about the 318 and the 320, not exactly 1.8 and 2.0 liter respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by lkrskb8 View Post
    just askin

if the 316 is really a 1.8, how about the 318 and the 320, not exactly 1.8 and 2.0 liter respectively?

That's the case with the latter model E46 models. With the E36 models, the 320 denotes a 2.0L, 316 is a 1600...

Reliability depends on the previous owner really; if you get one that has been maintained properly you should expect it to work like a clock... get a poorly maintained one and expect a big headache and wallet eater.

Am keen on buying a diesel 500 series. I read this is the more fuel efficient among the bmw's. I want it but cost always matters. Anyone here owns and driving one? How much is its regular 10K k PMS?

Wag na lang Bro..

Its Not worth a peso..

Bm's are cheap in 2nd hand market for several reason..

No takers, low re-sale value & high price maintenance..

Euro cars are not climated to be a daily driver in our archipelago..

Dust, flood, traffic, heat & poor road conditions will win against this luxury brands..

Quote Originally Posted by tigacainta View Post
    Wag na lang Bro..

Its Not worth a peso..

Dust, flood, traffic, heat & poor road conditions will win against this luxury brands..

If that means I'd look like a flaunting fool to the wise and knowledgeable, then I'd cease to be interested and get a b/n 2.4 Accord instead. I've a question re that but it's for another thread. Thanks, tigacainta!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigacainta View Post
    Wag na lang Bro..

Its Not worth a peso..

I beg to differ, what then explains the 20-30 year old Benzes and Bimmers out on our streets running pretty well. In the end it all boils down to maintenance. If you get a late mid-to-late 90's or up model that had been manufactured for local consumption then these are all tropicalized already (upped cooling and a/c systems). Our 1998 E36 320i never had any problems with cooling and the like and that car was used everyday (the owner who bought it from us has already logged well over 140,000kms on the odo already the last time i checked).

If you can afford the service and parts and find a good unit then go for it... it's hard to beat the solid feel and driver-centeredness of a Beemer. Go for the gas models though as in the long run, maintenance would be cheaper and you wouldnt worry too much about the fuel quality we have.

16. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by blueweller05 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Just want to know your expert opinions if it's advisable to buy a 2nd hand BMW car, specifically yung 316i? I've been seeing around sa mga buy and sell sites na mejo affordable yung mga prices nung model year that ranges sa 95-99. 'Coz they say there "nothing to fix" or "good condition" is it really true and safe?What should I look out for? I'm planning to buy one in the near future and just want to make sure I get my money's worth and 2nd hand lang muna talaga kaya ko hehe. Thanks in advance on whatever advise you can share and appreciate all the help.

Thanks!
    No! it is not true na wala kang papa-ayos sa 2nd hand car. Maybe sa current owner nya wala na syang gusto pa ayusin. But once you are in it, for sure may papalitan ka. Like aircon, baka sa current owner masaya na sya sa aircon but sayo could be a little weak. Or suspension, baka masyadong matatagtag para sayo since luma na but for the owner its perfect. Interior could be quite used already so you might need to have it reupholstered but sa current owner ok lang yun.

Bihira din ako makakita ng BMW 316i of that year na medyo malinis ang interior. Usually kasi malinis sa labas but sa loob grabe sa dumi. So if you are planning to get one I suggest pag-aralan mo mabuti, bring a mechanic, check all the interiors, pang ilalim everything basically. Drive it and see how it rolls. Check its history as well.

Last but not the least, wag mag mamadali.

wow, iwas ka na lang sa BMW. Unless you are earning hundreds of thousands a month, papatayin ka lang niyan sa parts and maintenance not to mention second hand na yan at luma na.

My friend had a 92 E-Class mercedes, sa huli wala rin binenta rin niya at a very very low price kasi wala raw yung part dito kailangan pang iimport galing US.

Quote Originally Posted by slamm View Post
    If you can afford the service and parts and find a good unit then go for it... it's hard to beat the solid feel and driver-centeredness of a Beemer..
    P20-25K per PMS? I really like the 5 series of the 90's. Is the gas model ok? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rendaku View Post
    P20-25K per PMS? I really like the 5 series of the 90's. Is the gas model ok? Thanks!

With Prestige Cars (Autohaus Libis now), some years ago my tito would get a bill of around 10K-12K every 10,000kms service on his '98/'99 E36 316i (the BMW's rely on a service light that tells you when to go in for service, not bad); regular service parts and some consumable suspension parts are not really that expensive really (at par with premium Japs at even) if you go to 3rd party service shops with the know-how and buy from part stores outside of the dealership. It's the stigma of having a major breakdown that might hit your pocket so a lot depends on getting a good unit.

Try going through the BMW club forums for more feedback. Try to PM Otep Rivera also, that guy has the info needed on maintaining Euro cars.

The 1990s would really see more gas models as the diesel market wasnt really established yet outside of EU, and getting a gas model like that of a 525i would mean more parts and know-how as that was a popular engine.

Buying & Owning a 2nd Hand Bm's or MB are like Renting an Expensive Branded Toy..

- the people who don't own one / they don't know you.. Admires you..

- the people who owns a latest one / they don't know you.. Snobs you..

- the people who owns one / they know you.. Pity You..

- the people who don't own one / they know you.. thinks your a cheap trying hard.. for not getting a latest or at least a less than 3 y/o model..

- you might as well buy a 2nd hand Ford Expedition for a daily driver.. and pay cash at the gas station for a full refill..

That's for me is Ultimate Luxury & Prestige..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast