Brown is Beautiful: a White Guy's Perspective | Buhay Pinoy | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... Last

Brown is Beautiful: a White Guy's Perspective

I never have liked my skin color.

I grew up in the States, where cultural values are quite different. The skin-tanned look started to become fashionable in 1920's, and skin cancer rates have continued to soar ever since. Yes, that's right--we are endangering our lives in order to have brown skin.

Each summer my friends/classmates would compare forearms to see who had managed to acquire the best tan. Needless to say, that’s one competition I had no shot at winning. I never even bothered to hold up my pasty limb next to theirs.

Then there’s the sunburn. I know some of you have experienced sunburn, but I burn on different level. Too much sun exposure and my skin turns bright red, sometimes to the point of blistering. After a few days of pain, the damaged layer of skin peels away—like I’m some kind of reptilian mutant from the x-files. This process still doesn’t result in a tan. About all I can do is turn from white to “less white.”

I was in for a surprise when I moved here. I still remember seeing the first commercial for a skin-whitening product--I was completely stunned. “Who in the world wants to be whiter?” I asked myself. Sadly, It seems many Filipinos do. Funny how we always want what someone else has.

The before-mentioned forearm competition has taken a bizarre turn. Filipinos often hold their arm next to mine and make self-effacing jokes about the color contrast. “Kape at gatas” (coffee and milk) is one of the more common jokes. I’m quick to remind them of the Caucasian quest for a suntan—a color that Filipinos have naturally.

Most of my Filipino brothers are attracted to mestizas (light-skinned Filipinas). Not me. Nothing attracts me more than a lovely morena (brown-skinned Filipina).

To my Pinoy brothers and sisters: wear your color proudly. Brown is beautiful!

You can read more of my thoughts over at my website: KUYAKEVIN.COM

Asus! pampa-lubag loob nanaman. Maybe he's Albino? mas matatangkad at matangos pa din mga ilong ng race nila sa atin. Not to mention bigger and firmer butts, longer "tools" for men and bigger "bumpers" for women.

Dito kasi sa Pinas standout ka pag maputi ka at maganda ang complexion mo. I also want to think that having a fair skin is a plus plus factor at work, career, lovelife ng Pinoy. Di ba mas malinis tignan pag maputi ka? But of course there is a kind of white skin that is very attractive - yung medyo pinkish and not yung para kang tinapalan ng espasol!

ehehehehe dito sa pinas mas maputi ka mas gusto ng tao. Mas maitim ka welll ummm... mas ayaw haha. Usually kung ano yung minority na skin ayun ang gusto ng bansa.

Like sa japan marami mahilig mag pa tan

I have a pink complexion and I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by KuyaKevin View Post
    I never have liked my skin color.

I grew up in the States, where cultural values are quite different. The skin-tanned look started to become fashionable in 1920's, and skin cancer rates have continued to soar ever since. Yes, that's right--we are endangering our lives in order to have brown skin.

Each summer my friends/classmates would compare forearms to see who had managed to acquire the best tan. Needless to say, that’s one competition I had no shot at winning. I never even bothered to hold up my pasty limb next to theirs.

Then there’s the sunburn. I know some of you have experienced sunburn, but I burn on different level. Too much sun exposure and my skin turns bright red, sometimes to the point of blistering. After a few days of pain, the damaged layer of skin peels away—like I’m some kind of reptilian mutant from the x-files. This process still doesn’t result in a tan. About all I can do is turn from white to “less white.”

I was in for a surprise when I moved here. I still remember seeing the first commercial for a skin-whitening product--I was completely stunned. “Who in the world wants to be whiter?” I asked myself. Sadly, It seems many Filipinos do. Funny how we always want what someone else has.

The before-mentioned forearm competition has taken a bizarre turn. Filipinos often hold their arm next to mine and make self-effacing jokes about the color contrast. “Kape at gatas” (coffee and milk) is one of the more common jokes. I’m quick to remind them of the Caucasian quest for a suntan—a color that Filipinos have naturally.

Most of my Filipino brothers are attracted to mestizas (light-skinned Filipinas). Not me. Nothing attracts me more than a lovely morena (brown-skinned Filipina).

You can read more of my thoughts over at my website: KUYAKEVIN.COM
    I don't mind brown skin. As long as it's not oily and doesn't come with a flat nose (pah-ngoe).

@AG, What he's saying is true.

Brown really is beautiful. OMG, parang +points pag morena ka, especially sa US. Ang ganda ng skin natin...

When I was in the Philippines, I used to want to be light skinned. Unconsciously, I would avoid the sun. But now, my god, I just realized how beautiful brown skin is. The caucasian models we see on TV are very beautiful indeed, but the general population do not have such luck. Thein skin aren't as flawless and it does not look as good up front (I hope Caucasians reading this forgive me. )

The reason we don't see how beautiful brown skin is, is because they're all around in the Philippines. I got used to beeing Caucasians all the time. One day, I went to a pharmacy, and saw a morena pinay. OMG, she was gorgeous! Her skin wasn't completely flawless, but her naturally tanned skin was oh so sweet!

Filipinas are world class beauties. Don't underestimate them. The people we see in magazines and TV simply have access to great make ups and stylist. If pinays simply have the same access, baka talbog pa nila mga puti!

Ditto! I have nothing against whites but I like to see a little color on one's skin. But my attraction to Filipino women is more than "skin deep." In general, I find them more affectionate and courteous, too.

filipino women are generally more subservient than their western counterparts. I guess that's why white guys love them. They'll cook for them, wash their clothes for them and have sex with them whenever they want without so much as a complaint.

Brown is beautiful for foreigners.

But in the Philippines,

NEVER. Filipinos are very ....... They can't accept what God gave to them, especially mga artista.

youre one of the tightest white guys on earth, foreigners that love filipinos are great

oo nga naman, napakaraming skin whitening products sa market sa pinas, mga lotions, ointments, soaps that all claim to make your skin as white as a caucasian. Not to mention pills and injections. It's a booming multi million peso business, why? Because that's what the people want. Even poor people want to whiten their skin. They don't have money so they have to be creative so they use calamnansi and all sorts of pang hilods like bimpos and the always popular fist sized rock.

................................like Nicole Scherzinger's skin is very attractive.I am happy to be a morena although my mother is chinese,nakuha ko sa father side ang kulay ko.

Quote Originally Posted by neneodin View Post
    ................................like Nicole Scherzinger's skin is very attractive.I am happy to be a morena although my mother is chinese,nakuha ko sa father side ang kulay ko.
    having a very beautiful brown skin is one thing, having a beautiful face and hot body is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SIOPAO MAN View Post
    oo nga naman, napakaraming skin whitening products sa market sa pinas, mga lotions, ointments, soaps that all claim to make your skin as white as a caucasian. Not to mention pills and injections. It's a booming multi million peso business, why? Because that's what the people want. Even poor people want to whiten their skin. They don't have money so they have to be creative so they use calamnansi and all sorts of pang hilods like bimpos and the always popular fist sized rock.
    It's not only pinoys. In general the east asian region likes to have fair skin--Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ForAllMankind View Post
    Brown really is beautiful. OMG, parang +points pag morena ka, especially sa US. Ang ganda ng skin natin...
    Maybe Latino/Latina/Mexican brown skin or maybe even middle Eastern/Persian brown or tanned skin....not Filipino brown skin.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ForAllMankind View Post
    The reason we don't see how beautiful brown skin is, is because they're all around in the Philippines. I got used to beeing Caucasians all the time. One day, I went to a pharmacy, and saw a morena pinay. OMG, she was gorgeous! Her skin wasn't completely flawless, but her naturally tanned skin was oh so sweet!

Filipinas are world class beauties. Don't underestimate them. The people we see in magazines and TV simply have access to great make ups and stylist. If pinays simply have the same access, baka talbog pa nila mga puti!
    If it is true maybe its only for women or Caucasian men's fondness of brown skinned women. I don't think its true the other way around.

Caucasian women (or even Pinoy women) would still prefer the taller and more mestizo guy over the average height fair skinned Pinoy guy.

If there really is reincarnation and having a next life and I would be given the chance to choose what race will I belong to, I will still choose being a Caucasian anytime. Kung hindi siguro, a Latino. Those guys could get women of any race they want.

Sa tingin ko iba ang moreno/morena sa mga brown skin... Dba? Kasi yung moreno parang mas lighter sya sa brown eh, example, yung BF ni Angelica Panganiban? *** ba yun? Derik Ramsey ba? Haha! D ko alam spelling eh, pero ganon ata yung moreno, kapag sinabi mo naman na brown/kayumanggi, tulad ng color ng skin nila Babalu? Dba? Tapos kapag mestizo naman, Aga Mulach? Ayun...

Beneath the towering pines kensamor's Avatar
    Ang sabi ng byenan ko ng kinwento ko ang trip ng mga Pinoy: Why would someone wants to look "pale"?

Quote Originally Posted by SIOPAO MAN View Post
    tapos sa US kaliwa't kanan ang tanning salons nway, nasa tao lang naman yan. if type ng guy eh chinita, then ok. Kung type nya eh morena, then ok din. Wag natin masyadong dibdibin kung ndi kayo type ng lahat ng tao. Therefore....

brown-, black-, white-, yellow-skinned are beautiful!!!

Selling stocks short :)
    Well, at least you're honest.

Maybe it's not the color but the person. Maybe it's not the group but the individual.

When I was in college in California, there were tons of white guys going out with Asian girls but only a few asian guys going out with white girls. The ones who have white girlfriends tend to share a trait--they didn't let the mainstream culture's depiction of asian males as asexual/ineffective beings get to them.

Maybe there's a lesson there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Green View Post
    Maybe Latino/Latina/Mexican brown skin or maybe even middle Eastern/Persian brown or tanned skin....not Filipino brown skin.

If it is true maybe its only for women or Caucasian men's fondness of brown skinned women. I don't think its true the other way around.

Caucasian women (or even Pinoy women) would still prefer the taller and more mestizo guy over the average height fair skinned Pinoy guy.

If there really is reincarnation and having a next life and I would be given the chance to choose what race will I belong to, I will still choose being a Caucasian anytime. Kung hindi siguro, a Latino. Those guys could get women of any race they want.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... Last