PEx Highlights

REVIEW: This is Where I Leave You

Family dramedy This Is Where I Leave You graces the screens this week. Is this movie worth checking out? Find out here!

read more

TRAVEL: Ilocos: Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud

PExer mikedph shares everything you need to know about an Ilocos trip that includes photos around Vigan, Laoag and Pagudpud.

read more

FEATURE: Philippine Cup Semis Preview

It's the Aces against the E-Painters and SMB versus TNT. Read on as JPM previews and predicts the outcome of the Fil Cup semis.

read more

Where are you staying this Holiday Season?

Join the Call Center promo and get a chance to win Pizza Inc Gift Certificates!

read more

FEATURE: On Former Teammates and Rivals

PEx's guest contributor Michele Gumabao talks about her ex-teammates and ex-rivals in the UAAP and the pros.

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Takes Game 1 vs RoS

The Aces mustered a furious 2nd half turnaround to take Game 1 of the semifinals against the Elasto Painters, 87-80.

read more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Holdap!!!

Holdap!!! Part 1

I will always remember July 19, 2008 as the day when I first got victimized in a bus hold up in my thirty plus something of existence. And the immense irony of the whole thing, was that I was on my way to a GUN SHOW when it happened.

It all started like any of the hundreds, if not thousands of bus rides I have had over the years. I got on an airconditioned bus ("The Philippine Corinthian Liner" body number 1203) at the Ayala Avenue bus stop near the Makati Medical Center at around 3:30 pm, on my to the SM Megamall to attend the latest gun show.

'The Hold up'
    I was seated near the rear of the bus, loss in thought, staring outside the bus window, and didn't notice anything unusual until the bus started going up overpass on the Ayala Avenue and EDSA intersection. It was then when I heard some commotion out front. I initially thought there was a fight out there, since I heard somebody curse in Tagalog.

A guy wearing a black baseball cap, white T-shirt and backpack started saying loudly as he was walking down the aisle, "Ilabas ninyo mga celphone ninyo! (Bring out all of your celphones!)". It was then that I knew it was a hold up.

The b@st@rd was about 5'4", looked like he was in his late 30s to early 40s. As he passed by my row, I saw him holding close to his left thigh a revolver. It looked like a stainless steel piece, and I couldn't make out the make and caliber.

All the while the guy was pacing back and forth along the aisle, shouting and making threats to intimidate everyone. He kept saying, "Babarilin ko kayo! Wag kayo papalag! ****** ina ninyo walang lalaban, papatayin ko kayo! (I will shoot anybody here! Don't anyone fight! If anybody fights, I will shoot him!)".

There's a bus stop at the Guadalupe MRT station, but he shouted at the driver to keep going, and not to stop. He even told the driver to stay in the middle lane. He was also constantly looking around, worried that somebody would wave or signal to a police outside of the bus.

'Losses'
    I thought to myself, "Damn, I'm set to leave for a very good paying job abroad in a couple of weeks, and this had to happen to me NOW? No, I'm not going to do anything to hurt myself and lose my chances at that job." I was determined to give away my celphone, and other things if need be, so I immediately thought of removing the SIM card from my phone.

I had time to do just that, before the guy reached my row.* As he passed, he asked for my celphone angrily, and I gave it to him.

He then asked for my wallet. I didn't comply right away, and since he was very preoccupied, he sort of forgot about it. Which is a good thing, since I had about P4.5k in my wallet at that time. Even better, was that I paid my Citibank card P6k before I got on the bus, money that would've otherwise been in danger.

But then, I don't know how he knew, since my left hand was sort of hidden, he asked to give him my gold ring with a Jade stone. Again, I didn't comply right away. He asked again, and I figured I don't want to get on this jack@ss' bad side, so I proceeded to just hand it over to him.

The celphone that I lost was a Sony Ericsson K850i, probably worth around P10k, and the gold ring with Jade stone was probably worth around P10k also.

'The Brave girl'
    After getting my things, he was sort of having problems with a girl on the front row who wouldn't give her celphone. She had long hair, in her mid-twenties, a he kept shouting at her to give up her phone, but she said, "Barilin nyo na ako, Ma, pero di ko ibibigay ang celphone ko! (Shoot me if you want, but I won't give up my celphone!)".

It was then that I got more concerned, because I thought to myself, if this b@st@rd really shoots her, I can't just stay here and let him get away with it. I'm going to have to try to think of doing something stupid, and hope the other male passengers do the same thing also.

He kept arguing with her, until at one point, the girl started crying hysterically. This infuriated the man even more, and since he was seated beside her on her left, he gave the girl a backfist using his right hand. After being hurt like that, the girl gave up her celphone.

^ ilan yun mga k**pal na nangholdap? Dapat sa mga yan binabalatan ng buhay.

oh crap, buti walang nangyaring masama sa isa sa mga paboritong kong pexer.

kasunod na bosing...

Holdap!!! Part 2

'The Getaway'
    When we reached the Estrella overpass, the man got off the bus, then I saw him run up the Estrella overpass to cross the highway. It was only later after discussing with the other passengers did they point out that another man wearing a light yellow shirt got off at the same time the holdupper got off the bus.

The guy in the yellow shirt never uttered a word during the entire incident, relying on the perp with the black baseball cap to do all the work. He obviously was the backup, keeping an invisible profile, but ready to assist if something happened to the main guy.

As soon as the perps got off, I rushed to the front of the bus to tell the bus driver to look for a Policeman we can report the incident to. One of the passengers wearing a black shirt went to the door, with the intention of going after the perps. But the bus driver didn't stop, he kept the bus moving at a slow pace, so the passengers couldn't get off the bus.

'MMDA Enforcers'
    Before we reached the Guadalupe MRT station, I saw some MMDA Enforcers trying to ticket some motorists. Funny how the bus driver didn't point it out to me, good thing I saw them. I immediately asked him to stop, went down, and reported the incident to the MMDA Enforcers.

All they could do was text the details to their Headquarters, or so they say. It took awhile for them to complete the text and send it out. In the end, they told me to report it to the police since it was a police matter. So I asked them where is the nearest Police Station? They couldn't remember, and just told me to call and report it to "117". It was only later we learned that there's a police station there at JP Rizal near the Guadalupe MRT station.

I got back to the bus, and talked among the other passengers. The bus, by the way, was only about half full of its seating capacity when the whole incident happened. It turns out the holduper had gotten everybody's celphones, and some even lost their wallets. I got off at the Robinson's Pioneer Mall, bought a cheap celphone, then called "117" using the SIM card I saved to report the incident.

'117'
    The operator who took my call sounded as if she didn't want to believe me. I thought perhaps she had gotten one too many prank calls that she had gotten skeptical. I patiently continued to give her the details, in the hopes that she will eventually believe me. Then the line was cut, for some reason.

So I called again, got to talk to the same operator, and continued to provide more details. Then she put me on hold. After about 2-3 minutes on hold, I just hanged up.

Then I had this great idea: Heck, am going to the gunshow, lots of PNP people around to report the incident to. Yup, I'll just go ahead and do that.

'Da Pulis'
    True enough, the PNP was there, on the booth accepting deposits of firearms. I approached the guy in the Claim counter, and asked him if there's anybody there who could take my report that the bus I was on was just held up.

'Naku, sir, kelangan i report nyo yan sa detachment sa me Shangrila Mall, di naman jurisdiction yan (Sir, you have to report it to the detachment near the Shangrila Mall, that is not our jurisdition)', he said.

I stared at him for a couple of seconds. Then I finally said, 'Wala ba sa loob puede kumuha ng report ko? (Isn't somebody there inside willing to take my report?)'. 'Wala sir, e. Sa detachment talaga (Nope, nobody, sir. It has to be on the Police Detachment)'.

I just turned my back on him, walked away, then bought my ticket to the gun show.

'Shangrila Detachment'
    Later that evening, I went to the trouble of going to the Shangrila detachment to report the incident, accompanied by my brother. When I told the old policeman on the front desk where the incident occurred, he again told me that it should be reported at the Makati detachment since the incident was, "..... not under their jurisdiction .....".

At this point, my brother, who is a Lawyer, introduced himself as "ATTORNEY blah-blah-blah", and took out his Interpol ID, gad knows where he got it. The old guy wanted to refer us to his superior, but the superior didn't go out to meet us, so he was forced to get the details of the incident, writing it down on a blank bond paper, and afterwards promised us that he will coordinate and report it to the J.P. Rizal Detachment.

I was too tired and frustrated by this time about the whole incident, so I didn't bother going to the J.P. Rizal Detachment, and just went straight home.

fossile sept
    I wish someone could raise this to media to be featured: "how not to report a crime: holdup"

since madalas ang holdup sa mga public buses/jeepneys, dapat talaga itong mga pulis ay responsive kaagad pagtawag mo pa lang ng 117 especially na nangyari ito sa makati area.

Banned by Admin
    this is more than enough reason for private citizens to bond together, arm themselves to the teeth and form vigilante groups that will go after these lazy b@stards and their families given the inability and gross incompetence of the police force to crack down on these b@stards. like what i had suggested in the past, vigilantism is the only solution that we have to fight lazy @ssholes, which can be done by tracking these criminals down, have them killed outright when found, have their families killed as well since they are the ones who benefited from the criminal acts of the b@stards, and burn down the communities where these criminals and their families reside to remind the people that those areas that having criminals and their families residing there would put all of them in danger.

also, stop patronizing the Philippine Corinthian Bus. this bus company has a reputation for having drivers and conductors who are in cahoots with lazy b@stards who prey on hardworking citizens.

lastly, LIBERALIZE PHILIPPINE GUN LAWS! criminals use loose firearms so why penalize responsible and law-abiding gun owners for the actions of the few?

Kawawa naman yung mga nawalan ng cellphone. Nawalan na sila ng cellphone...

kakalat pa sex videos nila sa internet.

9. Advertisement

Damn! Akala ko kaya nga ang tawag ay PNP-Philippine National Police. Biglang naglalabasan na kesu wala sa jurisdiction nila o ano mang palusot. Any policeman swore to protect and serve the public.

Hindi kaya mali ang timing mo pumunta mag-report? Baka nagkataon sa eating/meryenda time nila?

@Bahay_Kubo: Vigilantism? Tempting .... very tempting .....

@theBlur: 'Ala, kumag at walang silbi lang talaga yang mga pulis na iyan. Sa sampung pulis sa PNP, e, malamang iisa lang ang matino. Milagro, kung me mga matino pa nga.'

Holdap!!! Part 3

'In cahoots'
    Now that I learned that the Philippine Corinthian Liner has had a reputation of bus drivers and conductors consorting with criminals, I did find it strange that the bus driver and conductor of the bus I was on didn't act as if they really wanted the criminals to be caught.

If they were really serious about catching the guy, they would've stopped the bus, allowing the passengers and/or they themselves to trail the holduppers. Instead, the driver continued driving the bus at a slow speed, therefore not allowing anybody in the bus to follow the criminals.

Also, if they could've stopped, and try to draw attention from possible passing police authorities.

I also found it suspicious that they did not stop to ask the help of the MMDA Enforcers when we passed them. We had to ask them to stop so we could report the incident to those MMDA Enforcers.

PHILIPINE CORINTHIAN LINER. Remember that name, next time you ride an aircon bus in Manila.

'Disappointment'
    Am very disappointed with the authorities, particularly the PNP. Take note, that I had FOUR opportunities to report to them the incident, and nothing came out of it. First to the MMDA Enforcers, then to 117, then to the PNP at the SM Megamall gun show, and finally to the PNP at the EDSA-Shaw intersection.

A victim shouldn't be bothered to go to the Police with the jurisdiction where the incident happened. It should be enough, that you see a man in PNP uniform, report the incident with details, then they should be the one doing the coordination amongst themselves.

That's my idea, of how its supposed to work. If not, then that inefficiency would be a glaring weakness in the PNP's campaign against criminals.

I hope some stup_d PNP General hasn't gone out to complain about citizens not reporting crimes to them, because heck, here I am trying to report a crime, and I was met with RED TAPE and INCOMPETENCE (shakes head). And to think that the whole PNP organization got pay raises, equipment support, etc. all these years, and yet to no avail. The service they bring to the people, is still as substandard as it was before.

'Crime statistic'
    I suspect one reason for all the red tape, is due to the concern of these policemen to have a crime reflected on their records. You see, when a crime is reported, it becomes a statistic against them if they don't solve it. They are forced to work, when a crime is reported.

To these incompetent pieces of sh_t, an unreported crime, is better than an unsolved one.

Well, I guess that's part of life in the Republic of the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by rhk111 View Post
    @Bahay_Kubo: Vigilantism? Tempting .... very tempting .....

@theBlur: 'Ala, kumag at walang silbi lang talaga yang mga pulis na iyan. Sa sampung pulis sa PNP, e, malamang iisa lang ang matino. Milagro, kung me mga matino pa nga.'
    ......nag-dry run sa crowd control ang 6000 PNP para sa SONA ng aydol mong si Pandak...ang low morale ng mga 'yan ay reflection lang sa mandarambong at korakot na rehimen.......ang pasistang BuwayangBaboy rehimeng Arroyo...

Magaganda ang bus ng PCL pero ano ba 'yun, bulok pala ang mga drayber at kundoktor.

Salamat sa impormasyon. Iboykot ang PCL!

'Yang mga pulis na 'yan, wala ka na maaasahan sa kanila. Katamaran 'yan. Ayaw magsitakbo, ayaw magbuwis ng buhay. Gawain lang nila, magpalaki ng tiyan.

Ang dapat, total revamp ng PNP. Ang magreklamong 'di nila jurisdiction ang pinangyarihan ng krimen, dapat tinatanggal sa serbisyo.

Bakit tila on-the-go ang mga pulis pag about yong pekeng presidente na yon. Ay baka kasi malaki ang kick-back nila pala.

improper use of police forces(fraud, waste and abuse)--for SONA.

rhk111: wala ka bang balak isend itong sinulat sa mga reporters/columnists para ipublish? the whole public has the right to know this.

i agree, vigilantism is definitely very tempting these days...

Well, all governments both have their GOOD, and their BAD sides. It's obvious now, that the PNP is one of this government's bad sides.

@theBlur: Am thinking of forwarding these essays to some of the newspapers here. Maybe I'll get around to doing it within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by rhk111 View Post
    'In cahoots'
    Now that I learned that the Philippine Corinthian Liner has had a reputation of bus drivers and conductors consorting with criminals, I did find it strange that the bus driver and conductor of the bus I was on didn't act as if they really wanted the criminals to be caught.

If they were really serious about catching the guy, they would've stopped the bus, allowing the passengers and/or they themselves to trail the holduppers. Instead, the driver continued driving the bus at a slow speed, therefore not allowing anybody in the bus to follow the criminals.

Also, if they could've stopped, and try to draw attention from possible passing police authorities.

I also found it suspicious that they did not stop to ask the help of the MMDA Enforcers when we passed them. We had to ask them to stop so we could report the incident to those MMDA Enforcers.

PHILIPINE CORINTHIAN LINER. Remember that name, next time you ride an aircon bus in Manila.

'Disappointment'
    Am very disappointed with the authorities, particularly the PNP. Take note, that I had FOUR opportunities to report to them the incident, and nothing came out of it. First to the MMDA Enforcers, then to 117, then to the PNP at the SM Megamall gun show, and finally to the PNP at the EDSA-Shaw intersection.

A victim shouldn't be bothered to go to the Police with the jurisdiction where the incident happened. It should be enough, that you see a man in PNP uniform, report the incident with details, then they should be the one doing the coordination amongst themselves.

That's my idea, of how its supposed to work. If not, then that inefficiency would be a glaring weakness in the PNP's campaign against criminals.

I hope some stup_d PNP General hasn't gone out to complain about citizens not reporting crimes to them, because heck, here I am trying to report a crime, and I was met with RED TAPE and INCOMPETENCE (shakes head). And to think that the whole PNP organization got pay raises, equipment support, etc. all these years, and yet to no avail. The service they bring to the people, is still as substandard as it was before.

'Crime statistic'
    I suspect one reason for all the red tape, is due to the concern of these policemen to have a crime reflected on their records. You see, when a crime is reported, it becomes a statistic against them if they don't solve it. They are forced to work, when a crime is reported.

To these incompetent pieces of sh_t, an unreported crime, is better than an unsolved one.

Well, I guess that's part of life in the Republic of the Philippines.
    Ang tanong,

kinuha din ba ng mga holdupper yung kita ng kundoktor ng PCL?

Philippine Corinthian, ito yung bus company ni Claire Dela Fuente diba?

wag na kayong sumakay ng aircon bus. delikado talaga yan.
    bili rin kayo ng tear gas or stun gun for protection

@theBlur: Am thinking of forwarding these essays to some of the newspapers here. Maybe I'll get around to doing it within the week.
    rhk111: keep us in the loop on which newspaper you're planning to send your essays. i'm really curious on how their columnists would probe this issue. thx.

Asa ka pa sa PNP dito, hanngang TV lang yan nagpapakitang gilas pero pag sa totoo na hindi mo rin sila maasahan. Bulok talaga hindi lang sistema pati departamentong dapat pumuprutekta sa atin.

I was a victim not so long ago by the same faith. They got my fone, P5oo and some ATM's. Good for me that I didn't widraw all my money that time. Cursed those S-hits!

Nakakapagtaka lang, yung kita ng mga driver dapat kinuha kaso hindi eh. Isang pang issue dito, yung bus binaba yung mga holdapers somewhere in estrella tapos hindi sya nagsakay ng mga pasahero not until it reaches ortigas. Ang dami pasahero nun sa edsa.

Kasabwat din ang mga put-ang ina!

OT: Nakakaduda yung babaeng ayaw ibigay yung cellphone nya. halatang maraming tinatago sa cellphone

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast